Peter's Friends - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Peter's Friends Reviews

½ July 29, 2016
A distance of 24 years turns out not to be safe enough to make 'Peter's Friends' any less toe-curlingly awful than I always suspected it would be when I first started giving it a wide berth in 1992.
June 17, 2015
I'm a big fan of Rita Rudner's stand up comedy, and when I found out she'd co-starred and co-written a movie, I knew I had to see it. I'm glad I did. Lots of comparisons to "The Big Chill" (the idea of old friends reuniting and spending a weekend together is not a new one), but this movie is special because of its' excellent acting and high quality writing. Equal parts laugh out loud comedy and deep, moving drama, balanced together perfectly, with one never overshadowing the other. Long before "House," Hugh Laurie proved to be capable of drama. Rita plays what at first seems like your garden variety vain, airheaded American prima donna, but the screenplay gives her more depth and even a bit of sympathy. This British-American comedy is truly a hidden treasure. Watch it. You won't regret it.
½ September 13, 2014
What a joy to see Hugh Laurie wearing stockings.
January 11, 2014
A wild hair purchase from Big Lots based on the cast, and while it's watchable, I would also have to admit that there's not a lot of surprises here, but the performances are well worth the ride.

Give it a rental.
½ December 3, 2013
its not a badly written film, but I suspect that once Kenneth Branagh came on board as director, he insisted that he force his ego on to his audience in almost every scene. Frankly, the last scene is painful to watch, as you do have to get the big reveal accompanying Branagh's over-the-top acting, which does not work, even within the context of the story. Its a pleasant film overall, but personally, I really don't expect to revisit it because of Branagh, who cheats Stephen Fry out of the spotlight. It is Fry, who should be getting more focus than anyone. If not Fry, then all his friends should have equal screen time to flesh out their characters. The way I see it, the film should have been named "Peter's friend: Andrew", because that really seems to be what Branagh had in mind, but he was just too much of a gentleman to bring it up.
March 26, 2013
Without a doubt the witty repartee is next to none. Brilliant. And an all time favourite.
December 8, 2012
Honestly, this is and has been one of my all time favourite films. I've watched it at least twice a year for over a decade now. I've read some complaints about this being a "Big Chill" rip off but really, while the two are certainly similar, I found this film to be much more entertaining and it always puts a smile on my face. The cast is a dream come true for anyone with an affinity for British cinema. The humour is dry in someplaces, witty in others, and wild in others still. This film comes highly recommended by this reviewer.
December 7, 2012
Will take into consideration and maybe find to watch!
November 20, 2012
Loved this movie, which was probably somewhat semi-autobiographical, since Emma Thompson , Hugh Laurie and Stephen Fry all were in a traveling review together when at university. The script was witty and dramatic, and the cast did an excellent job. Rita Rudner was especially perfect as the Hollywood wife. Peter's Friends reminds me why I like English movies so much.
October 14, 2012
A British "The Big Chill." I think I've seen it 50+ times. Have all the lines memorized. It reminds me of my HK friends and I miss them so much every time I see it.
July 29, 2012
A little self-indulgent, but with a good script and excellent cast.
½ April 19, 2012
Not bad not bad at all! I had no idea what this movie was all I knew was that Kenneth Branagh was in it, so I gave it a watch and I actually enjoyed it. I promise if you like Dramatic movies or Romantic movies you'll be a fan of this one. I really didn't find this movie really funny which was a bit of a let down, but I still enjoyed the storyline of this movie and I also enjoyed all the characters. I think Kenneth Branagh did a great job acting and directing this film and also Stephen Fry played a terrific role as the lead guy Peter. I think this movie was a real good movie, it's a movie worth at least a one time watch.
April 14, 2012
Incredibly entertaining film about friendship with plenty of emotion along the way. The splendid performances of Emma, Imelda, Kenneth, Stephen, Hugh, Rita, and Alphonsia raise the bar of this fantastic film.
January 11, 2012
The premise of this film, is dark, but there is also a "joy" to it, that makes you feel good. The acting is excellent, by the all-star cast. This isn't a well-known film, but it is a gem, just the same.
December 22, 2011
great acting, great lovely film..some of my favourite actors in here. it didn't disappoint me..now, my favourite
September 11, 2011
I'm at a loss for words, but I loved it.
½ July 1, 2011
Charming Comedy by Kenneth Branagh with great acting all around and allot of heart.
½ June 24, 2011
In the middle of comedy and drama. Nice to watch.
May 6, 2011
Kenneth Branagh, Emma Thompson, Stephen Fry, Hugh Laurie, Rita Rudner and Richard Briers. Great cast. Great wit.