Peter's Friends Reviews

• Feb 23, 2019

A film to watch and remember your own friends before they grew into their grown-up lives! Often scorned because it is set amongst the non-poor - the characters will remind you of someone tou knew. It's a script firmly set in the times it displays - the eighties. Glittering dreams of love have gone sour and for Emma Thomson's character, even flown away forever. However, stay for the witty Rita Rudner's point of view of the mess our lives become without much effort. She wrote with her husband, and they merely had to look around for wealthy not-so-young things and copy down their lives, stick them in a lovely English manor and wait. Their problems are serious yet deftly layered with Kenneth Brannaugh's light directional touch. It has the rollicking pace of the more innocent wealth-fest Four Weddings and a Funeral - you'll expect Hugh Grant to appear in his bow tie. But it swoops into the sadness of Love Actually in a mere moment. It's a story of friends well told.

• Aug 25, 2018

TV edit watched. British Big Chill.

TV edit watched. British Big Chill.

• Jul 29, 2016

A distance of 24 years turns out not to be safe enough to make 'Peter's Friends' any less toe-curlingly awful than I always suspected it would be when I first started giving it a wide berth in 1992.

• Sep 13, 2014

What a joy to see Hugh Laurie wearing stockings.

What a joy to see Hugh Laurie wearing stockings.

• Jan 11, 2014

A wild hair purchase from Big Lots based on the cast, and while it's watchable, I would also have to admit that there's not a lot of surprises here, but the performances are well worth the ride. Give it a rental.

• Aug 21, 2013

I'm a big fan of Rita Rudner's stand up comedy, and when I found out she'd co-starred and co-written a movie, I knew I had to see it. I'm glad I did. Lots of comparisons to "The Big Chill" (the idea of old friends reuniting and spending a weekend together is not a new one), but this movie is special because of its' excellent acting and high quality writing. Equal parts laugh out loud comedy and deep, moving drama, balanced together perfectly, with one never overshadowing the other. Long before "House," Hugh Laurie proved to be capable of drama. Rita plays what at first seems like your garden variety vain, airheaded American prima donna, but the screenplay gives her more depth and even a bit of sympathy. This British-American comedy is truly a hidden treasure. Watch it. You won't regret it.

• Feb 22, 2013

Without a doubt the witty repartee is next to none. Brilliant. And an all time favourite.

• Dec 08, 2012

Honestly, this is and has been one of my all time favourite films. I've watched it at least twice a year for over a decade now. I've read some complaints about this being a "Big Chill" rip off but really, while the two are certainly similar, I found this film to be much more entertaining and it always puts a smile on my face. The cast is a dream come true for anyone with an affinity for British cinema. The humour is dry in someplaces, witty in others, and wild in others still. This film comes highly recommended by this reviewer.

• Nov 19, 2012

Loved this movie, which was probably somewhat semi-autobiographical, since Emma Thompson , Hugh Laurie and Stephen Fry all were in a traveling review together when at university. The script was witty and dramatic, and the cast did an excellent job. Rita Rudner was especially perfect as the Hollywood wife. Peter's Friends reminds me why I like English movies so much.

• Oct 14, 2012

A British "The Big Chill." I think I've seen it 50+ times. Have all the lines memorized. It reminds me of my HK friends and I miss them so much every time I see it.