The Phantom of the Opera - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Phantom of the Opera Reviews

October 11, 2016
Though impressive to the eye and having a astounding soundtrack, it lacks the one thing that the original so great: The Phantom himself
½ October 8, 2016
So poorly made. I ridicule anyone who says this is a good tribute to the epic broadway show.
September 27, 2016
Great movie adaptation of the musical.
September 25, 2016
Fantastic story of a lonely deformed man who lives under the paris opera house who teaches a wanna be opera singer.The low rating is disgraceful and ask everyone to ignore that. This was a beautiful musical with two great voices, Gerard Butler was a fantastic Phantom mainly at the acting roles, you really do feel his emotion. Favourite musical ever.
½ September 19, 2016
Spectacle yes. However, the movie itself was slow and plodding and Gerard Butler should stick to more action-oriented roles. I liked Minnie Driver's performance. Strange ending.
August 31, 2016
Really interesting singing, costumes, and a great performance from Gerard Butler!
August 27, 2016
It may not be the musical, but it is still amazing to watch on the big screen.
½ August 14, 2016
Quite enjoyable. Fantastic acting and singing by the 3 leads! Emmy's voice!!!
August 6, 2016
Effort shines through, but this is a very boring film.
August 4, 2016
An interesting rendition of Andrew Lloyd Weber's masterpiece, with stellar cinematography and set design that unfortunately was at times overshadowed by strange plot choices and lackluster performances.
½ July 19, 2016
Schumacher did the best he could with the thankless job of adapting Lloyd Webber's legendary musical. His only mis-step was casting Gerard Butler as the Phantom... which unfortunately is a pretty huge mis-step considering Butler's voice (or lack of).
July 18, 2016
Featuring a musically inexperienced and somewhat unrecognizable cast; at first i assumed the worst for this version of The Phantom of the Opera though i was pleasantly surprised. The critic reviews have been overwhelmingly negative many noting how Butler has little experience singing and suggesting that his performance left a lot to be desired, i, in fact, would argue that a combination of the pitch correction and the raw emotion that Butler portrays while singing make for a thoroughly enjoyable experience which challenges many other incarnations of the Phantoms character.

whilst many Critics have suggested that the film is lackluster when compared to the on-stage musical performance, i believe that this comparison is inherently flawed as comparing two different mediums isn't necessarily fair as both will have certain advantages and disadvantages in the fields of portraying themes and utilization of dramatic techniques. From this point i would challenge you to find a superior film adaptation of Webbers' musical.

Notably well-choreographed scenes such as the masquerade scene create a genuine atmosphere as if the silver screen was a stage in front of you. Despite this, many scenes can come of over-done and somewhat comical, for example the Phantom descending the stairs in-step with the background music during the "Why so silent" sequence and even the grand face-reveal which is supposed to be one of the, if not THE key scene in the musical. This comical appearance really was the key theme which ruined the viewing for me which is a shame as i enjoyed much of the film which man other reviewers did not.

When i take all these factors into account i would give the movie an overall rating of 4/10, which would constitute a negative rating, though it is worth mentioning that overall i did enjoy the film and would recommend watching it and forming your own opinions based on the different features and drawbacks of the movie.
½ June 17, 2016
Beautiful performances by Emmy and Madam Giry, yet Butler did not reach the full Phantom potential
June 13, 2016
I just saw this movie, guess I'm a lot behind but I thought it was great! Can't believe it was made 11 years ago and I never heard of it Guess I should log on to Flixter more often. But I thought the music, sets, costumes, hair, make up and the voices were fantastic. Guess I'm one of the few, sorry to hear that.
June 13, 2016
I have to say this movie is a huge disappointment. I LOVE this musical. In my opinion, it's one of the best ones out there because of its captivating story, it's gothic themes and Andre Lloyd Webber at his absolute best. So I have to wonder, what went wrong? A lot of the actors cannot sing, especially Rossum and Butler who are probably the most miscast actors ever, and this ruins the fantastic music. My biggest problem is the visual style. There is so much dark and gothic imagery you can get from this musical and this movie just looks TERRIBLE! That's probably the biggest sin since musicals probably more than any other genre depend the most on good production values. My advice, look up the 25th anniversary live performance at the Royal Albert Hall instead. Much better than this.
May 2, 2016
Gothic, seductive & genuinely touching - it's one of the most famous romances ever told & proves yet again that the greatest love stories end in tragic sorrow. I will always regret not going to see this in the cinema. Has one of the most beautiful opening scenes in film history. Whether you're talking about the original stage show or this film - there is something deeply special about this music & frankly is unmatched by every other musical out there. In terms of this actual film, it's exceedingly visually lavish but I'd be lying if I said it wasn't slightly tacky & certainly not ominous enough. Also it suffers from the same issues as 'The Great Gatsby' film did, for the fact it's all too superficial & opulent which takes away the true soul of the story. The sets & costumes in the film are truly outstanding. But if you're a true fan like myself, you can see through all that glamour.
April 29, 2016
I liked this movie, personally, Although they could have made Gerard butler a liiittle more ugly. Other than that, great.
½ April 19, 2016
Wow, this movie is one of the creepiest things I have ever seen. And all these girls sad that Christine didn't end up with the phantom need therapy. The man is sadistic and psycodic. I have no idea how anybody thinks this is a classic.
½ April 7, 2016
Critics are out of their mind - this is a solid adaptation and Emmy Rossum is fantastic in it.

Grade = 7/10
½ March 28, 2016
A stylish, emotionally rich and supremely satisfying adaptation of Webber's musical that successfully transitions it to film while also deepening its dramatic core.