The Phantom of the Opera - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Phantom of the Opera Reviews

April 25, 2017
I think people who dislike this film are comparing it to the previous films,. Having seen the theatrical production a number of times I found the film was very faithful to the play in addition to enhancing and clarifying many plot elements. The Phantom is gorgeous.
March 28, 2017
The best movie ever!
February 5, 2017
Thoroughly enjoyable film, a visual feast with great performances. Gerard Butler does a wonderful job and plays the Phantom with dramatic intensity and flair. His singing was quite good and has a haunting, passionate quality to it. Personally prefer Butler's rough voice to the Broadway versions which sound too "smooth" and therefore less menacing. Emmy Rossum also does a wonderful job and provides a sweet and vulnerable performance which becomes more confident and mature as the story progresses. Her singing voice is perfect for the role of Christine and has a pleasing, melodious cadence. I highly recommend this film.
January 27, 2017
Looks pretty and has pretty casting, but the singing is AWFUL.
January 10, 2017
Absolutely loved this movie. Stupid critics.
December 1, 2016
A play turned movie, this musical drama captures the life of a play write living under an opera house as he falls in love with one of the dancers and tries to make her the lead singer in the opera. He is the man who taught her to sing though she has never seen him and thinks that he is the angel sent by her dead father to help her. All the while, she is falling in love with her reunited childhood friend. The phantom comes out of the shadows to fight for her love and is hunted because he is different, a monster. The score is wonderful and takes you on a journey with the characters. If you like a good love story full of suspense, set to music, then this is the movie for you.
November 18, 2016
Technically impressive, but doesn't hold a candle to its source material.
November 15, 2016
This is one of my favorite movies! My husband and I love watching it together.
November 7, 2016
Really enjoyed this musical look forward to watching it again
October 31, 2016
I don't know why people are putting this down. Emmy Rossum (16 years old) has an incredible voice, and I'm sorry, to all the haters, that Gerard isn't in a freaign' roman soldier costume, but that man's voice is beautiful and his acting is superb!! This movie is awesome!!
October 24, 2016
Beautiful scenes and beautiful music. Gerard Butler nails it.
October 11, 2016
Though impressive to the eye and having a astounding soundtrack, it lacks the one thing that the original so great: The Phantom himself
½ October 8, 2016
So poorly made. I ridicule anyone who says this is a good tribute to the epic broadway show.
September 27, 2016
Great movie adaptation of the musical.
September 25, 2016
Fantastic story of a lonely deformed man who lives under the paris opera house who teaches a wanna be opera singer.The low rating is disgraceful and ask everyone to ignore that. This was a beautiful musical with two great voices, Gerard Butler was a fantastic Phantom mainly at the acting roles, you really do feel his emotion. Favourite musical ever.
½ September 19, 2016
Spectacle yes. However, the movie itself was slow and plodding and Gerard Butler should stick to more action-oriented roles. I liked Minnie Driver's performance. Strange ending.
August 31, 2016
Really interesting singing, costumes, and a great performance from Gerard Butler!
August 27, 2016
It may not be the musical, but it is still amazing to watch on the big screen.
½ August 14, 2016
Quite enjoyable. Fantastic acting and singing by the 3 leads! Emmy's voice!!!
August 6, 2016
Effort shines through, but this is a very boring film.