Pieces of a Woman Reviews

• 17h ago

This movie was SO dragged out. 2 hours could have easily cut it down to 1-1.5 hours.

• Jan 20, 2021

"She smelt like an apple". Man, what a movie. Please avoid reading up any synopsis for this movie and instead go in blind if you can. However, I must warn you that this movie is a hard pill to swallow, in terms of its subject matter. Without spoiling anything, the movie is about grief and how that can affect a person and a relationship. It may be distressing for some and may leave you feeling blue, but it's so powerful you won't forget it. Worth seeing just for the directing, acting, and story. I wasn't prepared for it and I think you shouldn't be too. The movie begins with a stressful and devastating 30-minute-long scene that perfectly sets up the tone for the movie. It's very rare for me to say "oh sh*t!" out load while watching a movie. People have said that the movie quickly deflates after that, but I don't agree. After something as huge as that opening, the rest takes a much slower pace that effectively allows the audience to examine closely on the characters during the worst period of their lives. Vanessa Kirby delivers a performance that I would describe as haunting. Out of all the performances I've seen from her (so far), this is by far her best, as this movie really showcases her range as an actor. She really sank her teeth into the role and every bit of emotion she conveyed throughout the movie, loud or quiet, was incredibly believable. From her role as Princess Margaret in the hit TV show ‘The Crown' and now this movie, I can safely say I'm a fan of Vanessa Kirby. The rest of the supporting cast were all equally terrific. Shia LaBeouf, despite being a controversial figure recently, also delivers a fantastic performance. It was more grounded and less showy than his other roles. Ellen Burstyn is an amazing actor, and this movie reminds us of that. The scenes between her and Kirby were the highlights of the movie. One scene reminded of Burstyn's heart-breaking monologue from ‘Requiem for a Dream'. Just from her facial expressions alone, the sadness and the worry, have implanted itself into my head. The cinematography from Benjamin Loeb is really well shot and the camera work is almost like a character itself. There are plenty of long takes throughout the movie as the camera would sometimes flow between or around the characters, which made the scenes feel personal and real. My only issue with the was the score from Howard Shore as I felt it was lacking in some scenes. At times I didn't think music was really needed for certain scenes. Not a terrible score by any means, but very disappointing and nothing special. And that's really it for issues. Overall rating: ‘Pieces of a Woman' is a beautiful character-driven story that emotionally wrecked me. A hard movie to recommend for obvious reasons. It's a challenging movie that demands your patience as the story steadily moves along the emotional turmoil. It doesn't hold anything back when it comes to presenting the honest truth of its subject matter, but I think that's what made it so powerful for me. Difficult to watch, but I believe that's the point.

• 1d ago

It was watchable, but pretty boring. Seemed like the director tried to make it more clever than good. My wife pretty much loves any movie with this subject matter, and even she was bored.

• 1d ago

A game-changing opening first act. A window into a truly destructive consequence.

• 2d ago

It's a good movie, especially because of Vanessa's Kirby performance!

It's a good movie, especially because of Vanessa's Kirby performance!

• Mark W Super Reviewer
    2d ago

30 mins of this film takes place before the title credits even appear and it's quite possibly the best 30 mins of any film from 2020. It's powerfully delivered by White God director Kornél Mundruczó in his depiction of a home birth that captures the intensity of such an experience. I was hugely taken aback by the films opening power just as much as I'm taken aback by the films somewhat lukewarm reception. I can only assume it's because the pace dramatically reduces from then on in which really wasn't an issue for me. This is a devastating human drama with a trio of superb performances from Shia LaBeouf, Molly Parker and Ellen Burstyn but the film belongs to Vanessa Kirby who really shines with her disassociated depiction of a grieving woman struggling to maintain a grip on her emotions. There's a few heavy handed metaphors that don't entirely work but they weren't enough to spoil my overall enjoyment. It's an emotional film and a grim watch but it's superbly delivered by all involved.

Mark B Super Reviewer
    2d ago

I almost never watch movies like these -- mega-drama releases during Oscar season. But in my first year reviewing on Letterboxd, movies like this appear so consistently in the "Popular with Friends" feed I find myself drawn to them. And after forcing my self to watch PIeces of a Woman knowing I'd struggle, I think I'm going with my gut next time around. I don't really have much to add to what's been said before. The birth scene is heart wrenching. The acting is phenomenal. Shia Lebouf's performance was so excellent I kept wanting to slap myself in the face reminding myself that he's a complete asshole. But the bulk of the movie after the first act is just painful to sit through. Not because of the depressing subject matter. Nothing really gels. Overall it felt like a jigsaw puzzle that was half completed.

• 2d ago

Although slow in progression, this beautiful showcase of grief is towed by a surprisingly excellent performance by Vanessa Kirby.

• 2d ago

This is the best Vanessa Lengis movie I've seen. Check it out https://amzn.to/2XDXsfp

• 2d ago

BORING. The symbolism in this movie was just too much. The pace was achingly slow and the character development was non existent. Didn't care for it at all.