Plus Tard (One Day You'll Understand) (Later) Reviews

• Jan 17, 2010

Jan 2010: Netflix. an other great foreign movie touching the subject of WW2 and Jews

• Sep 29, 2009

a bittersweet tale with very convincing performance all 'round. reminded me of the brevity of life and how we allow circumstances to shape our minds and lives of the next generation(s).

• Sep 05, 2009

Premier film de la soiree hier, Jeanne Moreau c'est vraiment une grande actrice, mais le film se perds en longueurs souvent, ils auraient pu couper au moins 20 min facilement sans que ca paraisse...L'obscession d'un homme a deterrer les douloureux souvenir de famille sous l'occupation allemande de la France de Vichy...Honnetement un peu decu.

• Aug 17, 2009

Ugh. It was hard to figure out what I learned from this movie, but I'll give it a shot. 1. Watching someone rehearse a eulogy does not make for interesting viewing, on most occasions. 2. Watching someone breakdown the French compensation for Jews that were exported during WWII does not make for interesting viewing, on most occasions. 3. According to the movie, Jews put rocks on graves for some symbolic reason, but the characters talking about it weren't entirely certain what that reason was, so it's still somewhat of a mystery to me. This movie was hopelessly slow and there were precious little revelations in it. I've seen a lot of holocaust movies in my day, and this will quickly rank as one of the ones I will have forgotten seeing - hopefully sooner rather than later. I don't think that will be a problem since nothing happened of any significance in this movie. One of the main characters even dies in it, and you don't really care all that much. I'm sure this movie was profound in France, but it certainly lost something in translation.

• Aug 15, 2009

One day you will understand

One day you will understand

• Jan 21, 2009

Tres beau film de Gitai. Un sujet fort, universel, un secret de famille, des non-dits qui rongent. La mise en scene est subtile a l'image de l'unique passage du passe : quelques minutes, quelques plans tres courts, les bruits et on a compris. Les comediens sont tous remarquables, Moreau est magnifique.

• Walter M Super Reviewer
    Nov 17, 2008

[font=Century Gothic]Directed by Amos Gitai, "One Day You'll Understand" is an intelligent, intriguing but not entirely successful movie set in 1987 around the time of the Klaus Barbie trial. Victor Bastien(Hippolyte Girardot) has a personal stake in the proceedings as his maternal grandparents died in the Holocaust while their daughter Rivka(Jeanne Moreau) survived.(It is strange that with a movie like Victor that is so obsessed with personal details, that her survival is never quite explained.) While focusing on beautiful moments and camera movements, there is very little story to speak of. Using the trial as a focus is not a bad idea to explore France's role in the Holocaust, but it was 17 years after the making of the very thorough "The Sorrow and the Pity." It is a shame considering what the movie has to say about identity in the wake of Rivka, of Russian Jewish heritage, marrying into a Catholic family and the effect this eventually has on her children. And like "The Sweet Hereafter," the movie brings up the notion that those who are obsessed with history were never there in the first place, while those who lived through it do not have to be constantly reminded of the fact. For example, Rivka seems particularly comfortable with the antiques she owns. In the end, the past may be a nice place to visit but it is the present where it is best to stay.[/font]

• Nov 13, 2008

I think I need someone to explain why this was an interesting movie. I know character development was supposed to be the point, I just didn't find the characters or their stories interesting.

• Nov 01, 2008

Slow paced, but I was drawn to the story of a French businessman obsessed with learning the truth about what happened to his Jewish grandparents during the war. One scene in particular -- showing those ominous Nazi black boots walking over a gravelly stone walkway -- speaks volumes in a film that relies primarily on visual imagery to tell its story.