Plymouth Adventure Reviews

• Kevin M. W Super Reviewer
    Nov 25, 2019

Serviceable historical drama, done Hollywood style, that features Spencer Tracy as the hard-as-nails captain of the Mayflower charged with delivering a cargo of deluded, delusional (and doomed) undesirables (the Pilgrims!) across the sea. Maybe some liberties are taken with the plot, but what matter as long as our forefathers make it to forge a destiny for us all? Beyond the captain, notable on the voyage are Gene Tierney, Leo Dunn, Lloyd Bridges and Van Johnson. What really flies are the ship-in-distress scenes for which it won an Academy award. Not great, but not bad either.

• Nov 23, 2017

Despite its poetic license I still enjoyed it because of its blunt introduction to the reality of seafaring and settling new land.

• Mar 03, 2014

Plymouth Adventure is a decent film. It is about the trials and tribulations beset the one hundred odd settlers that journey to Virginia in 1620 including unexpectedly arriving in Plymouth, Massachusetts. Spencer Tracy and Van Johnson give good performances. The screenplay is a little slow in places but still entertaining. Clarence Brown did an alright job directing this movie. I liked this motion picture because of the drama and adventure.

• Oct 21, 2012

Dull pilgrim soap opera aboard the Mayflower. Try "The New World" instead of this silly pilgrim nonsense.

• Oct 16, 2012

so so historical pic the last of director clarence brown

so so historical pic the last of director clarence brown

• Apr 05, 2012

An interesting film about the Pilgrim's first landing in America.

An interesting film about the Pilgrim's first landing in America.

• Jul 28, 2011

"The Growth of the Human Spirit brings it closer to all human beings, I was alone, now I'm with my Fellows" ~a formerly Crass & Jaded Capt. Christopher Jones (Spencer Tracy), Capt. of the Mayflower.This line may possibly be my favorite words ever spoken. A Rag Tag bunch of Misfit Pilgrim Quakers,their Trials & Tribulations on their courageous Journey on the Mayflower to start life in the yet Wilderness of America.A Stellar Ensemble Cast that includes Spencer Tracy, Gene Tierney, Van Johnson, Lloyd Bridges, Leo Genn, Dawn Addams, John Dehner, to name a few that brought these larger than life Historic Characters to life so memorably.This will from now on, forever be, a Thanksgiving Tradition.

• Aug 11, 2010

Not bad. Promised to be fairly boring, but turned out to be reasonably interesting, especially considering the great historical context. Some decent intrigues, machinations and human relationship subplots. (How much of these are true is one for the historians, though!).

• Mar 06, 2010

65/100. Impressive production, fine art direction, the costumes are decent. It does lack period flavor though, the women's hairstyles have a 1950's look, but at least their was an effort made. Good and vivid color cinematography and sincere performances. Highly fictionalized, but after all it is Hollywood in 1952. An Oscar winner for best special effects. It's not a great film, but I was always interested in the story. Clarence Brown's last film.

• Mar 06, 2010

Impressive production, fine art direction, the costumes are decent. It does lack period flavor though, the women?s hairstyles have a 1950?s look, but at least their was an effort made. Good and vivid color cinematography and sincere performances. Highly fictionalized, but after all it is Hollywood in 1952. An Oscar winner for best special effects. It?s not a great film, but I was always interested in the story. Clarence Brown's last film.