The Polar Express - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Polar Express Reviews

January 3, 2017
It's good movie to watch
½ January 2, 2017
A meandering little film that barely has enough momentum to sustain twenty minutes, let alone its bloated hour-forty. Couple that with some truly unnerving animation and you begin to wonder who exactly thought this was a good idea. I guess if you slap a Christmas sticker on anything, it will sell. 2.6/10
December 28, 2016
Zemeckis recalls the magic of cinema with this Christmas film, using the motion capture technique in the smallest details on the actors
December 26, 2016
An awesome roller coaster ride with some frightening moments, and it captures the true spirit of the book which it is based off of!
½ December 24, 2016
I have never been less interested in a movie. I forgot it was even playing on the TV, that's how bored I was.
Worst. Xmas. Movie. Ever.
½ December 24, 2016
The Polar Express(2004) - Is based of the classic children's book by Chris Van Allsburg. Chris is also the same one responsible for publishing other classics like "Jumanji" and "Zathura". When The Polar Express movie was released, it was met with mixed reactions from critics and audiences. In my opinion I think the movie did get a lot of things right, but admittedly there were some things that did keep me from truly loving it. One of the things I absolutely loved in this movie is the music score. The orchestra music is very powerful and does match the film's atmosphere, but the songs in the soundtrack really stole the show for me. My favorite of all of the songs is "Believe" by Josh Groban. It's the movie's main theme and I love it. It makes you feel cozy and warm, it makes you feel mushy inside and it encourages you to.. Of course "Believe". The other songs in the movie like "When Christmas come to Town" and "Hot Chocolate" are also just as catchy and they are just full of Christmas goodness. The Animation in the movie is very impressive but at the same time it's kinda creepy at points. The background animation no doubt is beautiful and very atmospheric with its wonderful scenery which of course was inspired by the book. At the same time the capture motion animation on the humans looks kinda creepy. Some characters like the conductor and Santa Claus look impressive but most of the characters at times can look sort of weird at certain angles. I don't blame them for using the capture motion technology cause I know the creators were trying to make it look like the book but it is clear that the technology wasn't perfect yet. still, I can kinda give it pass. The kids in the movie do a fair job with acting especially for our main character
(who is unnamed for some reason) But Tom hanks who plays the conductor was just awesome. Sure he can be stern sometimes but he's just full of energy and I love his passion for conducting the train. Tom Hanks also plays other characters such as the Boy's narration,the Boy's father,the Hobo and Santa Claus but sadly that is sort of distracting hearing Tom Hanks's voice on different characters. Don't get me wrong I love Tom Hanks but I felt like they could have gotten other actors to do voice work especially for the Hobo. I don't mind him doing Santa and the Boy's father because they have smaller roles but the rest of the characters make it seriously distracting and confusing for me. As for the story, There are parts that they added filler to stretch the movie to an hour and a half. Some do really work while others don't. In short I do love the filler of believing in Santa and the kids going thru the North Pole after getting lost. As for the rest of the filler, it isn't bad but sometimes it's kinda confusing. I won't go into too much but let's just say they try maybe a little too hard to make it epic when sometimes it really doesn't need to be that way. Some examples may include losing a ticket or the train sliding on the Ice I just think it's a little bit extreme compared to what the book's tone was. The Polar Express does have problems but I still think it gets hated on way too much. While the book is better I still can't deny that the people put all their heart and talent into making this movie because they owe it to such a well know classic book. I really do like this movie and while it might not be a classic to some I think it will be a classic to me. (B+)
December 24, 2016
Starts off cheesy and by the end it's warp factor 9 on the cheese scale. It's also creepy as hell.
December 21, 2016
the polar express is the coolest train movie ever. and the ice scene is the best part
December 21, 2016
One of my favorite Christmas movies of all time!
December 20, 2016
This is garbage Christmas fodder. Really dull for a kid's film and none of the characters are interesting at all. Very poor attempt to cash in on Christmas. Terrible script.
½ December 17, 2016
Great animation, voice work, and a heartwarming story. But one needn't pay homage to the North Pole by imbuing the film with glacial pacing and completely unnecessary scenes. At times the experience was like opening presents on Christmas morning and every gift you rip open is a pair of socks.
December 16, 2016
Unimpressed. Annoying voice actors. Animation is right in the uncanny valley. Neither lifelike nor cartoony enough.
½ December 16, 2016
Nu har jeg set den for anden gang... og jeg blev bare skuffet igen. Den er kedelig.
½ December 16, 2016
The Polar Express is a movie about a boy who is beginning to lose faith in Santa and Christmas all together, but when a strange magical train shows up in his front street, he goes on a magical ride with different kids, and all together questions whether he really believes or not. During this movie we are introduced to a variety of characters, most of them voiced by Tom Hanks, this movie is bound to be good when you know that. This movie stars three main children, Hero Boy being voiced by Josh Hutcherson, Hero Girl being voiced by Nona Gaye, and Billy being voiced by Peter Scolari, all of these voice actors do a wonderful job and so do the supporting voice actors. Now for my opinion on this movie. This movie manages to give off that creepy, mysterious, fun Christmas vibe, which most Christmas movies fail to do these days. This movie is also an amazing example of the possibilities of CGI, it is insane that a movie made as many years ago from now as it was, manages to be more like-like than a lot of movies with CGI in them nowadays. This movie was a very large part of my childhood and still to this day is a rather entertaining fun family Christmas movie that I am sure many families will enjoy for a long time to come. My problems with this movie are that it sort of ages reasonably and can get sorta boring sometimes, but all an all, it is a very fun enjoyable movie as I said and if you haven't yet I suggest you check this one out.
December 14, 2016
The animation doesn't hold up well and those who interact with the protagonist are creepy and are given no real backstory to make the audience invested in their outcomes. While its running time isn't long it feels like it is as plot points randomly insert themselves into an otherwise simple plot. Good acting, but tries too hard to be a Christmas Spielberg film.
December 14, 2016
Terrific visuals let down by a poor story
December 14, 2016
This is unlike many cheesy forced christmas films, not entirely a total classic either. Its very much in between however one thing you cannot deny is how well it captures the spirit of christmas. The animation is captivating the conductors character (Tom Hanks) is inventively brilliant. A beautiful story that builds up at fantastic pace and toys with the connotations of christmas in a magical way. A breakthrough in technology and a wonderful christmas movie for all the family.
December 12, 2016
The Polar Express boasts amazing visuals, a good couple of thrills that can be compared favorably with a really fun rollercoaster ride and a great motion-capture performance from Tom Hanks in multiple roles even if the film feels like it's unnecessarily dragging on by the time we finally make it to the North Pole.
½ December 11, 2016
The Polar Express is a nightmare train ride and the creepiest, most depressing movie ever. Awful.
December 11, 2016