The Polar Express - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Polar Express Reviews

December 8, 2016
First off this movie was AMAZING!! The animation was stunning and though the animation style may have creeped out some people a little I still love it!.. And you know your kids will love it.. Because I'M a kid >:D
December 7, 2016
One of the best Christmas animations.
½ December 4, 2016
The Polar Express is a delightful holiday film.
December 3, 2016
The Polar Express is a classic in our home. With its beautiful visuals, excellent sound effects and amazing, heart warming story, this a wonderful Christmas movie. My wife and I watch this movie with our children every year around Christmas. The critics at Rotten Tomatoes are way off on this one. I believe it is time for "out with the old (critics) and in with the new."
December 3, 2016
With Christmas approaching, my younger child recently asked to rewatch The Polar Express. He asked me if there really is a train like that. He wants to ride it.

I wish the reindeer looked more like real reindeer and the elves weren't all male phenotypes. Other than that, cute story!
½ December 2, 2016
Polar Express shows little kids that thinking of just one being (Santa), could change your whole experience forever. This reveals that you could learn, count on, lead, and especially...............believe.
½ November 29, 2016
the animation was really bad. really takes you out of the film. but if you can get past the bad animation (which is tough) its actually really lovely. beautiful shots and a great storyline that was so subtle and so on the nose at the same time. I didnt know what it was about and was very surprised watching it that it was about the lost magic from your childhood. its about recapturing that magic and that peter pan moment (you stop being able to fly the moment you stop believing you can). zemeckis is really amazing.
November 28, 2016
A must-see Christmas classic with something for everyone. Stunning animation, solid character and plot development. and infused with that indescribable Christmas feeling.
November 27, 2016
A must-see every holiday season. Visually stunning.
½ November 26, 2016
surely not the best Christmas movie, but I certainly get sucked into the atmosphere of the movie and enjoy watching it around the holidays.
November 17, 2016
Best Christmas movie ever
November 2, 2016
People shouldn't pay attention to the critics. This movie is one of my favourite Christmas movies and it is so magical and makes me still believe in Santa! ????
½ October 9, 2016
This a childhood favorite and one of my favorite films to watch around the holidays. I enjoy the visuals, the voice acting, and the characters. The characters themselves aren't very interesting or deep, but I think they're likeable enough, with the possible exception of the Know-It-All Kid, but I find him slightly amusing at points. Tom Hanks steals the movie as the conductor. The visuals, again, are just so stunning. It's a very nice-looking movie. Everything from the snow to the Polar Express itself to the North Pole. It all looks so good. I've heard a lot of people complain about the animation for the human characters and the motion capture. Honestly, it never, ever, bothered me at all. Even as a child, it never creeped me out. It bothers many people and I do see why. It's not lifelike enough and it blurs the line between real and animated, but I was never actually bothered by it. I like the story, even though it is all over the place. The one plot point that confused me was the one in which the girl and the conductor go to give Billy some hot chocolate and the boy tries to give her back her ticket. Why?! What was the point?! She was just giving Billy some hot chocolate. It's not like she was leaving the train or anything. She was coming right back. What was the point of trying to return it to her? Yeah, it wasn't punched, but the conductor soon realized that. That plot point just irritated me so much. Another thing that annoyed me in this movie was the fact that the characters have no names. The only one that has a name is, well, Billy, and he wasn't even that important of a character. I mean, I know the main character doesn't have a name in the book, but that a children's book with thirty five pages. If you're adapting that into a full-length feature film, I think most would want the protagonist to have a name. Even the boy's sister has a name: Sarah, and she wasn't important at all. There was this one funny night when I was watching the movie with my boyfriend, and when we got to the part where the boy gets his bell back from Santa and they showed the name tag, we paused to try to read it. It wasn't close or clear enough, but we decided it was either Collin or Chris. The one thing besides the visuals that is great is the music. Good God, I just love the musical score of this movie. It's so memorable, nice and sweet-sounding. I just fill up with happiness every time I hear it. I also like the song at the end credits called "Believe". It's very nice and soothing. All in all, I still really like The Polar Express. It has problems, and it's unremarkable in terms of story and definitely characters, but I think there is this charm to it that, despite its flaws, has made it a Christmas classic. It's not great, but there's something about it that, for me, makes it something I can't not watch every year during the holidays, and I still have fun watching it.
August 26, 2016
A very good Christmas movie.
August 21, 2016
I was read the book every year in elementary school, so I knew the story. The film was decent overall, but a bit of a let down for me. Maybe it's just because I'm grown up, but I'm pretty sure the pace was too slow for even my younger self. This is one of those short illustrated hardcover books. The movie doesn't add any new story, it just bloats with stunts, musical numbers, etc. But the core concept is good enough to carry things.
August 19, 2016
I honestly loved this oboe and felt it kept to the book and even added just a slice more.
½ July 21, 2016
Couldn't go through another Christmas without watching it. A true festive favorite of the family's.
July 18, 2016
One of my favorite childhood movies.
June 25, 2016
The Polar Express is a great Christmas movie. You can't have Christmas without watching this movie. The Polar Express is heartwarming and amazing. I would very much suggest this movie.