The Polar Express - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Polar Express Reviews

December 15, 2017
This movie has been apart of my child hood and is probably one of the most memorable movies ever created.
½ December 13, 2017
This is a pretty good movie. I do have a lot of emotional bias though, after all i grew up watching this movie. The animation was good for the time, but that doesn't determine how good a movie is. (to all the critics that say animation is off putting. ) The characters are pretty well developed but the jokes aren't funny. The story is new but petty simple. The voices byTom Hanks are phenomenal but the "hero boy" is too 1700 "i'm a good boy" type. over all this movie is an average 5/10
December 11, 2017
Excellent movie for Santa believers...I believe!!!
½ December 5, 2017
This movie about a North Pole bound magical train definitely has some heart and Christmas spirit for just about everyone. My problem is with the animation and several key characters.

First, as beautiful and realistic as the film is , the animators have failed to convincingly render several key components. Many characters seem robotic with stiff movements, vacant expressions, and an overwhelming lack of fluidity. The eyes and inside of the mouth are very poorly rendered. Best evidence of this is near the beginning when the girl on the train is staring at the main character (Hero boy) and begin to talk. It's downright weird, creepy, and doesn't work.
The tongues have the appearance of a wet hotdog every time, always the same color. With the breakthroughs with realistic hair It's really sad that Hollywood still hasn't learned to properly render eyes. Special mention goes out to Santa's bag of toys which looks like an animal or something that belongs in the movie Trolls.

The movements are also super stiff and at times ridiculously unconvincing. It's like they don't know what to do with shoulders. Prime example is the Lonely Kid trudging through the snow trying to board before falling down. This is the only example you need to see.

My 3rd gripe is how robotic and 1 dimensional some of the characters appear. The dancing waiters with the hot chocolate looked like something a video game animator cooked up in 2001. No expressions, no facial movements, no soul. Just copy and paste several in there. The Lonely Kid pouting is probably the best example however. The same pose, zero movement, vacant computer animated expression, frozen in time etc. As the movie wears on it actually gets rather annoying and It's hard to feel something for a 1 dimensional character that has the personality of a dead battery.

There's a lack of authenticity with some of the children also, mainly the annoying know it all kid. At no time does it feel like an actual child but just an adult making a stupid voice. Why not let children play the children?

All in all it was an OK movie but just got a creepy vibe. Just don't know if that was intentional or not.
December 5, 2017
Best movie I've ever seen
½ December 5, 2017
Magical enjoy it every-time
December 4, 2017
3 out of 5 stars. I thought I had seen this movie before yesterday when we watched it with Emma and maybe I did, but other than the beautiful imagery and story as it is told in the book, the film was kind of forgettable, so maybe I just forgot I saw it.
November 30, 2017
Absolute Classic. This movie harbors a lot of excitement, imagination and a very nice plot.
November 30, 2017
Watched this movie many times during Christmas time, I like it
November 25, 2017
Pretty underrated, awesome and moving film
November 24, 2017
Favorite Christmas movie!!
½ November 19, 2017
Great animation with a deilighful storyline which children and grow ups alike will enjoy.
November 8, 2017
An awesome roller coaster ride with some frightening moments, and it captures the true spirit of the book which it is based off of! I watch this every holiday season, and never gets old!
November 6, 2017
A beautifully animated Christmas classic with an unexpected story line.
October 26, 2017
this is a good Christmas movie based on the book, but I really like this movie so much
October 15, 2017
I thought it was great! A truly great Christmas story.
October 10, 2017
I hopped on board and thoroughly enjoyed the ride! yeah, there was a few filler, somewhat slow moments along the way, but upon reaching the final destination I was ultimately satisfied.
September 27, 2017
I love this movie. It is extremely inspirational and whimsical. The music is gorgeous and fosters a magical atmosphere that the story takes place in. The themes of leadership, friendship, and faith the Hero Boy experience are great virtues in life. Just remember: "You have everything you need, if you just believe."
September 19, 2017
A very special movie with incredible animation for its time and still a classic. The sound is amazing and the movie has a Christmas Spirit like no other. If you don't believe in Santa after this movie that's to bad!
½ September 16, 2017
Very well paced, moving and a joy to watch with my four yearold. Subtle, almost monotone pallete of the movie for the first two thirds a visual delight with the film "shot" mostly during night.