The Polar Express - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Polar Express Reviews

½ July 21, 2016
Couldn't go through another Christmas without watching it. A true festive favorite of the family's.
July 18, 2016
One of my favorite childhood movies.
June 25, 2016
The Polar Express is a great Christmas movie. You can't have Christmas without watching this movie. The Polar Express is heartwarming and amazing. I would very much suggest this movie.
June 13, 2016
Best Christmas movie ever made (sorry it's a wonderful life). This is one of my all time favourite movies. I can't sleep on Christmas Eve without watching this movie first. Definitely worth a watch. Plus the soundtrack is amazing.
½ June 9, 2016
This a childhood favorite and one of my favorite films to watch around the holidays. I enjoy the visuals, the voice acting, and the characters. The characters themselves aren't very interesting or deep, but I think they're likeable enough, with the possible exception of the Know-It-All Kid, but I find him slightly amusing at points. Tom Hanks steals the movie as the conductor. The visuals, again, are just so stunning. It's a very nice-looking movie. Everything from the snow to the Polar Express itself to the North Pole. It all looks so good. I've heard a lot of people complain about the animation for the human characters and the motion capture. Honestly, it never, ever, bothered me at all. Even as a child, it never creeped me out. It bothers many people and I do see why. It's not lifelike enough and it blurs the line between real and animated, but I was never actually bothered by it. I like the story, even though it is all over the place. The one plot point that confused me was the one in which the girl and the conductor go to give Billy some hot chocolate and the boy tries to give her back her ticket. Why?! What was the point?! She was just giving Billy some hot chocolate. It's not like she was leaving the train or anything. She was coming right back. What was the point of trying to return it to her? Yeah, it wasn't punched, but the conductor soon realized that. That plot point just irritated me so much. Another thing that annoyed me in this movie was the fact that the characters have no names. The only one that has a name is, well, Billy, and he wasn't even that important of a character. I mean, I know the main character doesn't have a name in the book, but that a children's book with thirty five pages. If you're adapting that into a full-length feature film, I think most would want the protagonist to have a name. Even the boy's sister has a name: Sarah, and she wasn't important at all. There was this one funny night when I was watching the movie with my boyfriend, and when we got to the part where the boy gets his bell back from Santa and they showed the name tag, we paused to try to read it. It wasn't close or clear enough, but we decided it was either Collin or Chris. The one thing besides the visuals that is great is the music. Good God, I just love the musical score of this movie. It's so memorable, nice and sweet-sounding. I just fill up with happiness every time I hear it. I also like the song at the end credits called "Believe". It's very nice and soothing. All in all, I still really like The Polar Express. It has problems, and it's unremarkable in terms of story and definitely characters, but I think there is this charm to it that, despite its flaws, has made it a Christmas classic. It's not great, but there's something about it that, for me, makes it something I can't not watch every year during the holidays, and still have fun watching it.
June 4, 2016
a 8/10 movie its a pretty good movie
½ May 8, 2016
Zemeckis has had one hell of a career but some of his forays have been exceptionally bad and his time with 3D animation was definitely one of them. I remember being a child in the theater watching Polar Express and being stunned by just how awful it was then. This trainwreck of a film is so lifeless and unbelievable it's a wonder Zemeckis ever let it get off the cutting floor.
March 29, 2016
My favorite christmas movie... Great soundtrack
½ February 26, 2016
Absolutely beautiful! The story stays true to the book & the animation looks like the original illustrations came to life.
February 17, 2016
I really want to love this film because the visuals, atmosphere, music, and Tom Hanks' acting are really something to admire. But the lifeless animation on the human characters is very distracting which wouldn't be a huge problem if they didn't take up the majority of the film. If this was made nowadays with more expressive character animation, this would be a modern Christmas classic. As is, it's a noble experiment that doesn't fully succeed.
February 5, 2016
[The Polar Express] is one fun ride.
February 1, 2016
The CG was decent, at times, bad other times, but the story was generic and cliche and forgettable. Tom Hanks is nothing spectacular ("Woo I can do all the voices, how amaaaazing"). Meh. Dull and lacking, especially in Christmas spirit.
½ January 30, 2016
Seeing is believing, but sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see.
January 28, 2016
A movie that's good, but felt more it could of been a real life one
January 24, 2016
The half a star is for the visual treat. Beyond the razzle and dazzle animation, this is nothing but an empty story. Any Christmas story devoid of reference to the birth of Jesus Christ is a complete waste of time. Even more so with this film unashamedly promoting materialism in a our already overly greedy society. The true Christmas spirit of sharing and giving is unfortunately underplayed in the film.
January 24, 2016
A Christmas story without Christ is a waste of time. En julehistorie uten budskapet om Jesus Kristus er bortkastet tid. Enda mer så når en film ubeskjedent fremmer materialisme er ok hvis du er en gutt.
January 19, 2016
Why didn't this film get a certified fresh, oh darn. It's so awesome. This film isn't justified unless you're watching in minimum 720p, even Comcast loves this movie, giving it 3 out of 4 stars. But it's extremely high on the rotten scale. I don't know, this movie was amazing. Let's not get started on the visuals, this film is about coming up to 13 years old at this point, and the visuals are just top notch and can't be beaten. This film is enthralling.

The film name is rightfully so as this is an extreme Christmas film but half of the plot involves the craziness on the train, this is by no means your typical Xmas film, if you're expecting a perfect Christmas story and everything to match and already reconned tale on the real person as it is, you'll be in for a disappointment.

But we will get one thing very clear, most of what you think or know occurs, just certain things are even more retconned in this version. I've never been a huge fan of 3D or CGI type films, but this one is completely top notch. This is a different scale of CGI, u guess it's what can be referred to as realistic CGI. Tom Hanks basically looks like Tom Hanks, sort of. You would understand what I mean if you saw the film.

He also sounds like he plays 3 different people and I didn't check yet. There are personal struggles in this film and it doesn't come off or play like a typical young child's film, despite the rating of TV-Y given by Sprout, where I viewed it. I feel that this film is heavily underrated, but I easily think that this is a must own!
½ January 8, 2016
Truly the worst movie I have ever been forced to sit through in a movie theater. I had to stay because of my kids. So slow, so boring, so predicable. I will never get back the time I wasted in that theater.
½ January 8, 2016
A decent little adventure with plenty of innocent Christmas magic is ultimately ruined by some dead-eyed characterizations and an over-abundance of Tom Hanks....who knew too much Hanks could be a problem?!