The Polar Express - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Polar Express Reviews

August 17, 2017
'The Polar Express' is a film that has all the classic elements needed for a good Christmas tale: a magical story about the power of a child's belief, a swelling score, ground-breaking 3D animation (at the time) with a well-chosen colour palette and, of course, Tom Hanks. Unfortunately, the pacing is very slow at times, with parts of the story seeming completely unnecessary, not to mention the extremely wooden and unrealistic facial expressions of the human characters. Having said all that, it remains one of the best animated stories about Father Christmas around and is, despite its flaws, an enjoyable watch to get you into the Christmas spirit.
½ August 14, 2017
Though the animation isn't very good, and the tone is a bit too eerie, The Polar Express is still a great movie to watch at Christmas!
July 10, 2017
An underrated gem and childhood classic for me. The Polar Express is a dazzling, fun and exciting movie that reminds me of the wonders of the holiday season.
½ June 27, 2017
For me I would say just an ok movie it has good music that I enjoyed family's will enjoy this movie it makes a good holiday movie to watch or anytime I would say
June 26, 2017
I remember watching this film when it came out it theaters, I saw it at 3-4 times and for a while this was my favorite movie ever. Now a days, I still love this movie, its one I watch every year around Christmas time. A lot of people may not like the motion capture, which to be fair, this is the first fully motion capture film, two I don't mind its this medium because it creates a look that pretty much matches the book, its just that this one is more colorful. I love the spirit, i love the visuals, i love the music, I just love this movie.
June 14, 2017
best christmas movie ever
½ June 12, 2017
An important film on a technological scale but seemingly more interested in its presentation than its story, at first glace, The Polar Express is an easy, simple enough holiday feature that most will enjoy, but its plotting seems to imply that it wants to be analyzed on a deeper level yet presents too many loose ends and can end up confusing.
½ June 1, 2017
A mediocre film with some fun visuals but doesn't really stick with you.
½ May 4, 2017
The lovely soundtrack is what makes this film good. I also really like the story, but the animation is at times horrendous. The train ride through the land and the giant Christmas tree are beautiful, but everything else looks bad. (First viewing - Late teen years)
½ April 17, 2017
While it is by no means a perfect film, its epic score, great cast, and interesting characters keep this film level. It's one of the strongest Christmas films and is probably #2 for animated only getting beat by the Nightmare Before Christmas. Its animation is different but is not bad: it's more unique I should say... But the hardest part to overcome is the third act. While it makes sense story wise it is just not as entertaining as especially the first act.
Overall an underrated film that is far from perfect, but is still a great film. 7/10.
April 6, 2017
A surprising holiday film that manages to be a visual marvel, with delightful scenes and a variety of fun characters. Granted the 3D quality has dated since this film's original release, and the plot does get very close to feeling stretched, but the film's charm still manages to make this a very enjoyable experience. It's dated, but it's kind of timeless at the same time. Not perfect, but still really fun to watch. I recommend it.
April 6, 2017
A very amusing animation style and a magical feeling makes for a fine modern Christmas tale. The story does fall a bit flat at points, but by the end you get a very heartwarming finale and a satisfying holiday film.
April 2, 2017
this movie is so cool
½ April 1, 2017
It isn't bad it's fine
½ March 24, 2017
I don't know what it is about Robert Zemeckis and Tom Hanks. I like them both individually, but for some reason I dislike every movie that combines the two of them. I did not like Forrest Gump, I did not like Cast Away, and I did not like The Polar Express. The character animation and certain story elements were just creepy and weird, the story dragged on interminably, and I wanted to smack that kid in the yellow pajamas. Also there are plot points that make no sense. For example, why couldn't the hero boy just leave the girl's ticket on her seat for when she came back??? They could have just reminded the conductor to punch it the next time they saw him. The whole thing just felt too bloated and contrived. Maybe I would feel differently if I had grown up watching this movie. But for me, lacking that nostalgia factor, this movie was just a disappointment.
March 10, 2017
Okay Rotten tomatoes, Let's see in my opinion This movie was great this movie was in my opinion great but come on the animation it wasn't so great because it was the year 2004 the animation in that time It wasn't so High-tech like now
January 29, 2017
The best kids' holiday movie in years.
January 20, 2017
I really LOVE this movie. I love the story EVERYTHING!
January 18, 2017
AMAZING FILM!!!!!!!!!!
January 16, 2017
A nice Christmas family movie :)