Ponyo - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ponyo Reviews

February 8, 2018
Amazing the amount of animation and movement, sea creatures that fill the screen in that beginning scene. Ponyo looks so cute. The colors and animation are stunning in this movie. I can see the inspiration this movie had on the movie, The Red Turtle.

Wow, some o the scenes in this movie are spectacular, the way they animated this movie is gorgeous. A visual treat indeed. That kids mother drives like a freaking mad man.

It's so lovely to see a little girl who has powers put it to good use by helping out others. Ponyo's mother is beautiful, a true goddess. Such a goodhearted and sweet movie.

Though the story is not as filling as other Miyazaki films, it's a very genuine one and a sweet one. The characters in this movie all have goodhearted intentions and are easily likable. It's a very cute movie, definitely Miyazaki's most children oriented movie.

The visuals were really eye catching and beautiful. You can really see his love for the colors blue and green. All the sea creatures were so intersting to watch. There were some that looked really ominous and creepy.

Overall, wonderful movie with captivating visuals. So beautiful that they make me want to be there in that little village.
January 9, 2018
It has such an endearing weirdness about it.
January 5, 2018
A re-telling of the Little Mermaid, and a lot of movie magic.
December 17, 2017
Ponyo is such a charming, cozy and wonderfully endearing family film. It has its problems such as some of the character designs and the unoriginality of the plot, but still Miyazaki added enough quirks and interesting ideas to make it his own story. Ponyo and Sosuke are lovely characters and their wonderful interactions are the highlights here. I also really enjoyed the slower pace as well as its simply gorgeous, detailed and colorful hand-drawn animation with a lot of memorable, beautiful imagery at display.
½ December 1, 2017
Comme d'habitude chez Miyazaki, Ponyo n'est pas un film désagréable et visuellement, c'est resplendissant. Mais cette fois, le charme n'opère qu'à moitié. Peut-être est-ce dû au fait qu'on commence à voir les rebondissement vingt minutes avant qu'ils arrivent, que la première heure ou presque ne sert, comme d'habitude, à rien et que la naïveté se transforme souvent en niaiserie. Il y a tout de même de belles scènes, comme celle du morse, où l'on retrouve le sens de l'humour si efficace du réalisateur, mais Ponyo manque de folie et semble tout droit sorti d'un cahier des charges du Studio Ghibli. Cela en fait un film parfois efficace, parfois drôle, parfois émouvant, mais jamais novateur et c'est ce que l'on attend d'un type comme Miyazaki.
November 18, 2017
Bruh I f*cking loved this movie when I was little!
½ November 12, 2017
an incredible and fun film that will bring joy to both kids and adults alike, not as good as some of Studio Ghibli's other work but still phenomenal
November 10, 2017
this is a great movie
September 30, 2017
First Studio Ghibli I've ever seen. It's sweet.
½ September 16, 2017
A simple & unique re-telling of the famous Little Mermaid Story with some of the most breath taking animation of water.

The story of a courageous tadpole/fish that takes the risk heads to the shore & develops an unlikely friendship with a young boy who lives on the cliff by the sea.

The is a beautiful message wrapped around the ocean & the innocence & dreamscapes of children. A wonderful film & beautifully made.
August 28, 2017
Ponyo is the name of the goldfish given by the 5 year old boy, Sosuke who saved her upon having her head stuck in a bottle. Once Sosuke introduces to her to foods such as ham as well as her healing powers motivate her to wanting to become human too with the dad going against it.
½ August 18, 2017
Disney's 'The Little Mermaid' with toddlers, for toddlers. 'Ponyo' seems to be made with a much younger audience in mind which, for me, made it slightly less enjoyable than some of Miyazaki's other work geared towards somewhat older viewers, but there's no denying that it's a beautiful and magical hand-drawn film with a very sweet story and, as with most of Miyazaki's work, an important message to deliver. Another lovely entry into the iconic director's filmography.
½ April 28, 2017
I really wanted to like this one more, being a massive Miyazaki fanboy, but I can't. The story, while charming doesn't really go anywhere or expose any new or original ideas. BUT the animation is so damn gorgeous that it is definitely still worth checking out. This is bonafide anime eye candy at it's finest.
March 27, 2017
Odd, but interesting.
½ March 10, 2017
A cute and creative flick for the whole family to enjoy.
½ March 9, 2017
Great movie. While some of its plot certainly feels reminiscent of The Little Mermaid and it's formulaic in moments, it still features so many unique elements, breathtaking animation and heartwarming storytelling.
March 8, 2017
discount totoro meets the little mermaid it does neither perfectly but dammit if its not delightful and fun to watch
½ February 25, 2017
I'll be putting this movie on over and over for my kids when I have them. Liam Neeson in it is a plus!
February 19, 2017
I don't care for the anime style, but I didn't even find the storytelling to be very good either. Completely unengaging. (First and only viewing - 1/28/2011)