Ponyo - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ponyo Reviews

½ April 28, 2017
I really wanted to like this one more, being a massive Miyazaki fanboy, but I can't. The story, while charming doesn't really go anywhere or expose any new or original ideas. BUT the animation is so damn gorgeous that it is definitely still worth checking out. This is bonafide anime eye candy at it's finest.
March 27, 2017
Odd, but interesting.
½ March 10, 2017
A cute and creative flick for the whole family to enjoy.
½ March 9, 2017
Great movie. While some of its plot certainly feels reminiscent of The Little Mermaid and it's formulaic in moments, it still features so many unique elements, breathtaking animation and heartwarming storytelling.
March 8, 2017
discount totoro meets the little mermaid it does neither perfectly but dammit if its not delightful and fun to watch
½ February 25, 2017
I'll be putting this movie on over and over for my kids when I have them. Liam Neeson in it is a plus!
February 19, 2017
I don't care for the anime style, but I didn't even find the storytelling to be very good either. Completely unengaging. (First and only viewing - 1/28/2011)
February 18, 2017
The setup is perfect and the idea is charming and intriguing. Ponyo is more than our Little Mermaid of fairytale fame - she's determined, powerful and kind of sweet in a weird, yelling, blobby sort of way. However she suffers from the usual Ghibli flaw - the weak final act where the tone settles down and never manages to pick up again. Character motivations dwindle and suddenly very little makes sense but everyone seems to be ok with it. Also, while the environmental message is not without credit, it's ineffective and heavy handed to the point of preachy coming from one character only. Mononoke-Hime did a much better job.
January 19, 2017
Best manga movie ever made
½ January 15, 2017
While the animation is beautiful and the visual design stunning, I can't help but feel that, while good, is one of "Studio Ghibli's weaker films.
½ January 2, 2017
One of the better Studio Ghibli films. Totally weird concepts that work very well.
½ December 11, 2016
Meu primeiro filme do Studio Ghibli fez jus à sua fama. Lindamente animado, com uma história simples e personagens encantadores, é desses que aquece o coração até o fim.
November 3, 2016
Not particularly profound when compared to other Miyazaki, Ponyo is still a cute story in the vein of My Neighbor Totoro.
October 26, 2016
la pelicula es muy interesante y linda
como tambien tierna
September 4, 2016
This film moved me in a way that other Ghibli Films didn't. The first few minutes are spectacular and stunning. Sosuke is great character and has depth to him, and I can relate to him in a lot of ways, while Lily is angry, hardy, but you see that she's a wonderful person that keeps here sad emotions bottled up inside, and the elders really open up at the end. This is the most well-done Studio Ghibli film I have ever seen, and I think that anybody who says it's a rip-off of Finding Nemo, this is much better than that. Anybody who hears about this needs to watch it.
August 23, 2016
great watch all the time
August 18, 2016
Hayao Miyazaki has accomplished the tri-fecta by successfully writing, directing and animating Ponyo. He continues his magic with an absolute jaw-dropping and crowd-pleasing work of art. It has sweetness and charm that will rip your socks right off your stinky feet. I was tickled pink; grinned from ear to ear; eyes completely open; trying to wake up from this imaginary fantasy world that Ponyo puts you in. It's simple, fresh, breathtaking, and incredibly sophisticated and it's one of Miyazaki's finest without a doubt.
August 13, 2016
Love all of their movies and more.
July 17, 2016
Cutest characters and an excellent storyline