Ponyo - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ponyo Reviews

September 30, 2017
First Studio Ghibli I've ever seen. It's sweet.
½ September 16, 2017
A simple & unique re-telling of the famous Little Mermaid Story with some of the most breath taking animation of water.

The story of a courageous tadpole/fish that takes the risk heads to the shore & develops an unlikely friendship with a young boy who lives on the cliff by the sea.

The is a beautiful message wrapped around the ocean & the innocence & dreamscapes of children. A wonderful film & beautifully made.
August 28, 2017
Ponyo is the name of the goldfish given by the 5 year old boy, Sosuke who saved her upon having her head stuck in a bottle. Once Sosuke introduces to her to foods such as ham as well as her healing powers motivate her to wanting to become human too with the dad going against it.
½ August 18, 2017
Disney's 'The Little Mermaid' with toddlers, for toddlers. 'Ponyo' seems to be made with a much younger audience in mind which, for me, made it slightly less enjoyable than some of Miyazaki's other work geared towards somewhat older viewers, but there's no denying that it's a beautiful and magical hand-drawn film with a very sweet story and, as with most of Miyazaki's work, an important message to deliver. Another lovely entry into the iconic director's filmography.
July 10, 2017
What a freaking cute movie!
½ April 28, 2017
I really wanted to like this one more, being a massive Miyazaki fanboy, but I can't. The story, while charming doesn't really go anywhere or expose any new or original ideas. BUT the animation is so damn gorgeous that it is definitely still worth checking out. This is bonafide anime eye candy at it's finest.
March 27, 2017
Odd, but interesting.
½ March 10, 2017
A cute and creative flick for the whole family to enjoy.
½ March 9, 2017
Great movie. While some of its plot certainly feels reminiscent of The Little Mermaid and it's formulaic in moments, it still features so many unique elements, breathtaking animation and heartwarming storytelling.
March 8, 2017
discount totoro meets the little mermaid it does neither perfectly but dammit if its not delightful and fun to watch
½ February 25, 2017
I'll be putting this movie on over and over for my kids when I have them. Liam Neeson in it is a plus!
February 19, 2017
I don't care for the anime style, but I didn't even find the storytelling to be very good either. Completely unengaging. (First and only viewing - 1/28/2011)
February 18, 2017
The setup is perfect and the idea is charming and intriguing. Ponyo is more than our Little Mermaid of fairytale fame - she's determined, powerful and kind of sweet in a weird, yelling, blobby sort of way. However she suffers from the usual Ghibli flaw - the weak final act where the tone settles down and never manages to pick up again. Character motivations dwindle and suddenly very little makes sense but everyone seems to be ok with it. Also, while the environmental message is not without credit, it's ineffective and heavy handed to the point of preachy coming from one character only. Mononoke-Hime did a much better job.
January 19, 2017
Best manga movie ever made
½ January 15, 2017
While the animation is beautiful and the visual design stunning, I can't help but feel that, while good, is one of "Studio Ghibli's weaker films.
½ January 2, 2017
One of the better Studio Ghibli films. Totally weird concepts that work very well.
½ December 11, 2016
Meu primeiro filme do Studio Ghibli fez jus à sua fama. Lindamente animado, com uma história simples e personagens encantadores, é desses que aquece o coração até o fim.
November 3, 2016
Not particularly profound when compared to other Miyazaki, Ponyo is still a cute story in the vein of My Neighbor Totoro.
October 26, 2016
la pelicula es muy interesante y linda
como tambien tierna