Populaire - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Populaire Reviews

October 12, 2016
Loved it - very cute movie
June 27, 2016
A French romcom but done with such exquisite taste.
½ May 26, 2016
Guy hires girl for her talent in typing and then goes all out in helping and funding her to win the competition. Suddenly he's focusing more on her than on his job? Unrealistic storyline. Couldn't bring myself to finish watching this.
March 10, 2016
Populaire may appear light, frothy, even candy-coated; but at its core it's a smart, confident period comedy of manners which transcends the "rom-com" label and instead successfully demonstrates a deeper understanding of what it means to truly love and to be loved - whether by family, friends or a lover. Those who feel this movie lacks substance would be advised to watch it again and follow the growth of Romain Duris' character. Just because a movie and its actors can laugh at themselves doesn't mean they don't have something deeper to say as well.
½ March 1, 2016
Likeable comedy and romance with a lovely style and mood with lots of attention to detail with its 1950's setting.
½ February 20, 2016
I love the theme, setting, costumes, and acting -- a slightly different take on the typical romantic comedy -- but I couldn't get on board with the subtle sexism throughout. "Mon chou" = ugh (and the subtitles translated it as "pumpkin," so the English version was even worse).
December 9, 2015
Adorable. Sweet. Nicely acted. Lovely music and production design. #funny #enfrancaise
August 30, 2015
Very charming and beautifully shot. Loved it.
August 5, 2015
A cute and perky film. At first, I was a disappointed at the sexualization of Rose at first, but Rose grows with the cinematography. It might just be the way they wanted it to be.
½ May 9, 2015
Utterly charming French film indeed. Bit of an abrupt ending but the acting is brilliant.
April 22, 2015
Heart-warming and stylish sweet film.
February 20, 2015
Gorgeous sets, costumes; cool period piece
½ January 19, 2015
One of my Ultimate Favorite French Films. Funny. Smart. Supremely entertaining
January 2, 2015
a cute film about life in the 50s in france and it makes the typewriter so hip again
½ October 28, 2014
There's so much to love about this French romantic comedy that centers on the world of speed tying in the late fifties. As a period piece, this film was produced convincingly. The costumes are authentic, the sets are bright and brilliant, and the attitudes are pure Parisian metropolitan. The subject matter of speed typing was engrossing and was handled splendidly, rising in tension from one scene to the next. The training sessions were interesting, the inner personal relationships were also, and the love story, though mishandled at times, was an adorable adage to the rest of the plot. The competition was so fierce and unbridled that it almost made me uncomfortable, and for some reason the stakes were quite high, even though our main character Rose (Francois) didn't even initially want to compete. This film fuses all the best aspects of the fifties aesthetic with the vintage idyllic themes of a classic love story. It feels quite authentic, and it's beautiful to boot, making it a traditional and yet contemporary film.
August 20, 2014
Adorable retro comedy that, being french, is sufficiently sexualized to tiptap on the head of hollywoodian light romance counterparts of today. Smart and sexy.
August 4, 2014
Cute French film. Produced 2012, set in 1958.
½ July 30, 2014
As someone who grew up watching Jimmy Stewart, Kathryn Hepburn, Cary Grant... I loved this NEW french film set in the 1950's - witty and romantic. Aaron liked it too, and he's not as crazy as I am about old movies.
½ July 26, 2014
A solid sweet comedy!! The film keeps going despite a predictable script/outcome & a girl from Bas Normadie takes the world championship! Great music accompaniment (unexpected!! Tango/Cha cha in France?!) Best line: "America for business, France for love!!"