Poseidon - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Poseidon Reviews

July 21, 2016
It's an enjoyable movie, but most of the underwater swimming was unrealistic.
½ June 18, 2016
I'm writing this as I watch it; I'll give it a rating once its over

SPOILER ALERT throughout

2 minutes in - the CGI is crap. Did the work experience kid or something do the special effects?

So the opening is fairly slow, some sort of party I'm guessing. I think its new years.

9 mins in - is that Fergie? Her career has not gone well.

I have to be honest I'm not even convinced by the interior scenes, its very obvious that the movie was not filmed onboard a ship but more than likely a fairly cheap hotel which would be better set hosting a high school prom.

16mins in - BIG WAVE!

So now the boat is upside down, a wannabe hero has just stated, "I use to be a fireman, don't worry". This is probably the sort of person I would actively avoid in this situation as he has managed to now kill 4 people that were alive up until this point.

The captain is now taking charge - Hurray! ... ah.... Hang on. He has opened with "We are not sure what has happened". Well I would probably make an educated guess based on the fact everyone is now walking on the ceilings that the boat is upside down.

23 mins - You know that slightly annoying kid that makes movies frustrating to watch because they bring nothing to the game other then a thin film of incompetence - yeah that kid has arrived everyone.

Oh great the kid is now taking part in the extremely treacherous and audacious rescue mission. I am sure he will provide invaluable input -_-

A father has located his lost daughter and its very sweet. They cuddle among the bodies of their fellow passengers. We are introduced to a helpful Texan.

Not a lot is happening now, so we learn a bit more about the individual characters and you start seeing little relationships forming. From what I can gather the key characters are Kurt Russel, the little kid and his mum, this man who looks a little bit like the KFC Colonel, then the wannabe fireman and his recently found daughter.

39 mins - The Texan is now drunk and for some reason he's abusing the hero. I predict that he's gonna die.

40 mins - HA!! I was right. He dead.

Whatever happened to Fergie? Not sure if they killed her off already.

46 mins - so the captains decision to keep everyone in the prom room has not worked out very well. Something exploded, then lots of water flooded in - I presume it was from the sea. Anyway, long story short, everyone is dead.

I think that means the only survivors now are the 6 or so people we are following. This makes things a little easier.

49 mins - *main character is crawling through ventilation ducts as per ALL action movies. Im surpised he isn't wearing a white vest top at this stage.* He yells back to his fellow survivors "I SEE A VERTICAL SHAFT AHEAD" . It made me giggle hahaha.

Jesus I give up. Don't bother watching it.
June 9, 2016
it's like the lost survival story of the titanic...except the ship is upside down. I find it really stupid that the entire ship capsized because they suddenly decided to turn around and face this random gigantic wave that just suddenly appeared in the middle of the ocean. If they had faced the wave straight on it wouldn't have capsized. And you'd think a great ship like that would have better weather detectors. Acting-wise, I didn't think it was that good. Emmy Rossum bothered me especially for some reason. There's really no character/relationship development...the entire plot is just about escaping out of a capsized ship which basically only 6 people survived.
½ April 29, 2016
160429: 2.5 tops. This is a weak re-make and fails almost completely. Perhaps it was just the awe I remember upon seeing the original but I this one brought nothing to me. Why Kurt Russel? Luckily, I paid only $1.00 at a garage sale. Now it will be in my next one.
½ April 24, 2016
could of been lose better
April 6, 2016
With stellar special effects and suspenseful navigation scenes, Poseidon is a less cheesy more thrilling remake than The Poseidon Adventure but lacks the depth and character development to make it a fully winning film.
½ February 26, 2016
Visually stunning and with a great main character (Josh Lucas) but the story is lack of charisma and with holes in the plot
½ February 14, 2016
Esattamente quello che mi aspettavo di andare a vedere: catastrofe, alta tensione, lotta contro il tempo e claustrofobia.
L'unica cosa che mancata, stata una caratterizzazione maggiore dei personaggi, infatti alla fine del film non che si abbia la sensazione scoperto molto dei loro background.

Kurt Russell ha recitato discretamente, ma in questo ruolo sembra aver perso un po' lo smalto dei vecchi tempi, mentre ho visto bene Josh Lucas nel suo ruolo.

Gli effetti speciali sono stati a mio giudizio molto buoni.
½ February 7, 2016
I enjoyed the way this movie began and the conflict of the story line, but I think the ending definitely could have turned out better.
I think the way some of the 'bumps in the road' for the characters main goal were a bit excessive and could have been played out better.
If people were to remake this movie I am 90% sure it could have been better produced.
½ January 28, 2016
73%
Saw this on 29/1/16
Though it may lack character development, Wolfgang Petersen directs with vibrant energy and pace creating a tense and claustrophobic tone all over the film. But considering the visual standards of his own The Perfect Storm, I believe that Poseidon lacked excellence.
½ January 20, 2016
Predictable action, terrible script, poor acting, marginal special effects. The thing is, given the premise, not sure if the movie could have been any better.
½ November 7, 2015
has incredible special effects and good sets but the history it is so boring and the acting not help too much
½ October 21, 2015
Poseidon is one of the first disaster films I have ever seen, and I remember liking the film. So when coming across it on HBO, I decide to watch it again as its been many years since I last watched it, and boy did it felt very dated to me. The acting is kind of bad, the characters are very underdeveloped and just plain uninteresting. The script is pretty bad which was probably the most disappointing aspect of the remake. The good things about this movie are that the effects still look really good to this day, which the capsizing scene is very well done and is the best part of the film. There were some interesting parts, but for the most part, it's just very dull. There were some decisions that I thought were very stupid and just didn't make sense as there were better ways to do what they need to do. Poseidon didn't really make me mad as the characters are not really annoying or just downright do tons of dumb ways to screw up the situation, but all there is for me were some B movie thrills, cool effects, impressive camerawork on the capsizing scene, and a plot that can actually be very well done if executed right, which for the most part, it didn't.
½ September 21, 2015
so-so remake not as bad as i thought it would be
½ September 17, 2015
Blew all there money on the special effects......that's too bad because they might have had something.
September 10, 2015
It is what it is. An escape disaster adventure movie from stem to stern.
September 6, 2015
Los efectos dejan mucho que desear. la historia de héroes q no existen y todo falla a ultimo instante. Please
August 21, 2015
Script is pretty terrible, the storyline isn't all that strong, and the a lot of the characters just seem irrelevant. In a weird way, I feel this movie was just generic. Despite the flaws, it has great graphics and is visually amazing.