Position Among the Stars - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Position Among the Stars Reviews

July 14, 2016
The camera work was superlative. It felt like a genuine and intimate portrayal of life in Jakarta. Although it really made me question the line between being a mere fly-on-the-wall observer (and thus providing a more authentic picture), and being an active participant. Most (perhaps all) the scenes involved incredibly tragic abuse and ignorance, including abusive psychological pressure to obey a religion (either the grandmother's Christianity, or the father's Islam), a hell-like hair-raising male circumcision scene, physical assault against an innocent girl for being too close to a boy (I'm not sure how the camera-man didn't intervene), rampant political corruption, and general disregard for education (they prefer watching fighting fish on TV, rather than learning to use a gas stove or other more prudent studies). But such lifestyles are still the norm throughout the world, not just in Indonesia, so the film serves as important documentary evidence of the present state of our species.
December 27, 2012
#8 POV aggregate 2011
March 29, 2012
One of the best films I've seen last year. Something reminded me months later, and I feel compelled to write about it again. A profound and amazing film - something beyond a documentary. Funny, poetic, brilliant and sad. Masterful cinematography and editing.
½ March 22, 2012
A beautiful, heart-breaking, intense and simple documentary. Just fantastic.
½ October 1, 2011
A beautiful, heart-breaking, intense and simple documentary. Just fantastic.
½ July 31, 2011
Final instalment of a documentary trilogy focusing on a Christian/Muslim family living in Jakarta, this time loosely dealing with societal change and the effects of globalisation. Non-judgemental cinema verite style combined with breathtaking camera work allows exploration of a huge range of issues (as well as a great scene of a kitten trying to play with a rat). With a small number of scenes emphasising that this is still a construct this is exceptional film-making.
May 6, 2011