Postcards from the Edge Reviews

• Feb 02, 2019

The best comedy movie ever made! With the best movie song ever sung: I'm Still Here!

• Jan 04, 2019

Possibly my all-time favorite movie. One-liners abound in this humorous flick about a woman with addiction issues and her very famous mother. Dramatic, funny, and star-filled! Worth your two hours!

• Dec 14, 2017

Shirley Maclaine and Meryl Streep in a classic tale of mother/daughter confrontation and reconciliation. Two superb performances

• Oct 03, 2017

Not really solidified on what it's about. For e.g. the last quarter of the film is expected to come to reach some resolve, but all the viewer sees is that the protagonist has found some stability in its life by showing us a stage performance which actually is shown film-within-a-film style. Funny. Is there the element of satire and I'm/we're just misdirected by it? Possibly, but I don't feel I should care.

• May 31, 2017

I prefer "Bright Lights: Starring Carrie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds," which is basically the nonfictionalized version of "Postcards."

• Mar 12, 2017

Suzanne Vale is an actress...an actress with a drug problem. One day she overdoses and ends up in hospital and then rehab. After coming out of rehab she manages to land a role in a small-budget movie. The producers insist that she live with her mother for the duration of the movie, to ensure her sobriety. Her mother, the world-famous actress Doris Mann, is hardly the best role model... On paper, this movie had everything going for it: based on the semi-autobiographical novel by Carrie Fisher with screenplay also written by her, directed by Mike Nichols, starring Meryl Streep as Suzanne and Shirley MacLaine as Doris. With that semi-true-story background and those big names involved, surely it should be brilliant? Well, no. It's not bad, but it feels strangely flat. It's really just a linear story with no great drama or profundities, though there were plenty of opportunities for both. It does have its comedic moments but it's hardly a laugh-a-minute. Therein lies the problem, I suspect. By trying to be both a comedy and a drama it succeeds at neither. Not that this is a terrible movie, not by any means. It is never dull, moving along at a good pace, the ending is pretty good and Meryl Streep puts in a great performance (for which she got an Oscar nomination). It just could have been so much better.

• Feb 14, 2017

A very well written script by Fisher and superb acting, especially by Streep. This is sad, real and heartwarming entertainment.

• Jan 28, 2017

I love Meryl Streep and Shirley McLaine

I love Meryl Streep and Shirley McLaine

• Jan 22, 2017

Seeing this for the first time following the recent deaths of screenwriter Carrie Fisher and mother Debbie Reynolds it was even more poignant, powerful (and at times quite funny). Well worth seeing.

• Dec 30, 2016

Moderately average at face value but elegantly touching when connecting Fisher and Reynolds in this challenging tale of sobriety and success.