Postcards from the Edge - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Postcards from the Edge Reviews

½ October 3, 2017
Not really solidified on what it's about. For e.g. the last quarter of the film is expected to come to reach some resolve, but all the viewer sees is that the protagonist has found some stability in its life by showing us a stage performance which actually is shown film-within-a-film style. Funny.
Is there the element of satire and I'm/we're just misdirected by it? Possibly, but I don't feel I should care.
½ May 31, 2017
I prefer "Bright Lights: Starring Carrie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds," which is basically the nonfictionalized version of "Postcards."
March 12, 2017
Suzanne Vale is an actress...an actress with a drug problem. One day she overdoses and ends up in hospital and then rehab. After coming out of rehab she manages to land a role in a small-budget movie. The producers insist that she live with her mother for the duration of the movie, to ensure her sobriety. Her mother, the world-famous actress Doris Mann, is hardly the best role model...

On paper, this movie had everything going for it: based on the semi-autobiographical novel by Carrie Fisher with screenplay also written by her, directed by Mike Nichols, starring Meryl Streep as Suzanne and Shirley MacLaine as Doris. With that semi-true-story background and those big names involved, surely it should be brilliant?

Well, no. It's not bad, but it feels strangely flat. It's really just a linear story with no great drama or profundities, though there were plenty of opportunities for both.

It does have its comedic moments but it's hardly a laugh-a-minute.

Therein lies the problem, I suspect. By trying to be both a comedy and a drama it succeeds at neither.

Not that this is a terrible movie, not by any means. It is never dull, moving along at a good pace, the ending is pretty good and Meryl Streep puts in a great performance (for which she got an Oscar nomination). It just could have been so much better.
½ February 14, 2017
A very well written script by Fisher and superb acting, especially by Streep. This is sad, real and heartwarming entertainment.
½ January 28, 2017
I love Meryl Streep and Shirley McLaine
½ January 26, 2017
Smart comedy paired with a stellar cast carries along Postcards from the Edge when the plot starts to drag its feet.
January 22, 2017
Seeing this for the first time following the recent deaths of screenwriter Carrie Fisher and mother Debbie Reynolds it was even more poignant, powerful (and at times quite funny). Well worth seeing.
January 15, 2017
Saw the movie. Also saw it a long time ago but did not know it was about Debbie Reynolds & Carrie Fisher.. I saw Debbie Reynolds back in early 1951 when I was a soldier in Camp Roberts California. She was 18 then. I also saw quite a few of her movies over the years and recently on DirecTV. I did not know all these facts about her till her death & Carrie. In my opinion Meryl Streep was fantastic in her last song Checking Out. I have heard Meryl sing before. She is such a good actress. It looks like the Olde Trumpster was wrong when he said she was the most overrated actress in Hollywood. A very fine singer also.
½ January 13, 2017
Carries extra weight now that we know how the "real" story ends.
½ December 30, 2016
Moderately average at face value but elegantly touching when connecting Fisher and Reynolds in this challenging tale of sobriety and success.
December 28, 2016
A pair of great acting by Meryl Streep and Shirley McClane. The movie rings a huge pang with the recent news of the passings of both mother and daughter which the novel by Carrie Fisher is based on. RIP.
December 9, 2016
Postcards from the Edge is an well-acted movie that is at the same time funny and sad, but that in the end of the day its two main actresses can be charismatic enough to superate some uninteresting and cliched scenes.
½ October 3, 2016
Streep & MacLaine are so funny and are just a blast to watch. I couldn't help to feel like that film could've been much deeper than it came off to me, but I still enjoyed watching it.
August 26, 2016
Great film, Streep and MacLaine make the best duo.
½ April 2, 2016
The screenplay isn't so deep on the drama or funny enough on its comic side but Meryl Streep's typically mesmerizing performance carries the movie on its own.
March 27, 2016
Insightful, poignant, heartfelt and hilarious - Carrie Fisher bared it all in her source book, and it shines thru the performances here.
June 20, 2015
A fun movie with great performances from Meryl Streep, Shirley MacLaine, and Dennis Quaid. Carrie Fisher's writing is great and Mike Nichols does a good job directing it with some great musical moments for Streep
½ May 22, 2015
The movie's "set up" is very false, but Carrie Fisher's script is sharp, witty and entertaining. Most importantly, this film works thanks to Streep and MacLaine who really bring it all to life.
½ May 3, 2015
Una maravilla ver a estas dos maestras juntas haciendo con maestría el buen script de esta película.
½ April 29, 2015
Really terrific performances all around, and a genuinely endearing and funny script. Overlooked and underappreciated, definitely worth "Checkin' Out."