A Prairie Home Companion - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Prairie Home Companion Reviews

February 23, 2017
When I lived in Minnesota, I never paid too much attention to Garrison Keillor out at Lake Wobegon and his Prairie Home Companion radio show. I watched this film primarily because it was directed by Robert Altman, his last film, and it certainly bears his stamp (overlapping dialogue, large cast, indirect focus, camera zoom, meandering non-plot). The material is genial enough (written by Keillor) and well-suited to Altman's style. The age-old radio show is going to be shut down and the Fitzgerald Theatre demolished - we watch the last performance front-stage and back-stage. There's some folksy country music (sung by the likes of Meryl Streep, Lily Tomlin, Woody Harrelson, and John C. O'Reilly), some folksy stories and witticisms by Keillor, some informal friendly banter among old friends, and then some bits of plot thrown in to move the film along. Lindsay Lohan is here doing not much. Don't start here with Altman but he does elevate the totally non-offensive material here. There's a place for this way back yonder in your parents' day, I think.
½ September 3, 2016
Keilor's screenplay is filled with his usual quirks and unique brand of wit (sometimes it's a little much, but that's always been unavoidable with him) however, it's Altman's involvement and the cast that pushes the film into greatness. It's hard for me not to be moved by the ending, even on repeated viewings.
½ August 7, 2016
"A Prairie Home Companion" is a quirky and upbeat film that benefits from the strong performances from its ensemble cast.
July 19, 2016
This rambling, sprawling, star-studded concert film is as much an homage to your dad's favorite radio program as it is to Robert Altman's legacy.
½ December 13, 2015
Exactly the film would want from this legendary show, plus a bit more.
½ November 13, 2015
Quaint, fun, and aching in the strangest way - it would be both great and terrible if more movies were like this one.
½ October 10, 2015
151010: Loved everything about this slow-paced film but one character, the Angel. She was not up to par with the others, played a big part, and just didn't fit in. Her costume and makeup were just bad. Otherwise, this is a great film, stacked with a notable cast.
September 14, 2015
Altman's last movie is a fine companion piece to a rich career.
June 27, 2015
Like listening to an old radio program, "A Prairie Home Companion" is sweetly pleasant, quietly entertaining, and nostalgic in all the right ways, succeeding in large part due to the intelligent script and the great performances from its all-star cast. Fittingly about embracing life while you've got it (given Altman's death shortly after its completion), it's a simple and profound piece of filmmaking for audiences who can appreciate the subtle nuances of aging and cinema meant to generate a mood more than tell a compelling story.
June 24, 2015
A delightful, magical fantasy drama. Just be warned: this is strictly for Robert Altman fans. If you don't like slow-moving movies, you'll probably hate A Prairie Home Companion. Strictly for arthouse fans.
½ June 3, 2015
No one listens to this show on the radio becuase it is soooooo boring, and no one certainly wants to see this movie on a radio showe THEY DONT LISTEN TOO. Who is making this crap?
½ May 27, 2015
I have never been able to find the appeal of Garrison Keillor or Robert Altman's comic backstage interactions during a fictitious radio show. I was and remain unimpressed.
April 20, 2015
It wasn't the best radio show Garrison ever did, mainly because most of his singers weren't singers. Oh, and the plot was as thin as a hair.
½ April 19, 2015
Robert Altman's final film seems like a good one to end off to this legendary filmmaker's career. With a huge cast, witty jokes and interesting characters, A Prarie Home Companion is a must-see, especially if your a Robert Altman fan.
February 28, 2015
Robert Altman's swan song did not disappoint any true fan of his work. A true work of art from a stellar cast. Will not wow anyone who is not familiar with Altman but to true fans it will leave you missing him. Loved the parallel with the end of an era for a radio show compared to our own human mortality.
February 1, 2015
another gr8 cast and pic from altman sr
November 18, 2014
I don't appreciate the radio show, but my parents are big fans. When this came out, I was thus forced to watch this. So take this with a grain of salt. This movie sacrifices Keillor's knack for storytelling, instead focusing on musical acts, which IMO was always the weakest part of the radio program.
½ August 13, 2014
A big piece of nostalgia pie that I just wasn't enjoying.
June 30, 2014
Like Bunuel mellowed in a most attractive way for the final stage of his illustrious career. There's nothing about this film that I don't like, from the material, to the talented cast and, finally to the ease in which Altman goes about his business. A great film.