Reviews

• Aug 23, 2021

PRIDE AND PREJUDICE AND ZOMBIES I just don't understand the hating on this movie. Excellent casting all around (not just the leads); great acting; believable sets/scenery; non-hokey special effects; fantastic (yet understandable) period dialogue; great fight choreography; romantic tension pulled off superbly by Lily James and Sam Riley as Elizabeth Bennett and Mr Darcy. I mean, there was NOTHING about this movie I didn't like. I ADORE it and re-watch it occasionally (having asked for, and received, the DVD as a holiday gift). I even created a Rotten Tomatoes account just so I could review this movie because I recently discovered it had been panned by critics and reviewers, and didn't do well at the box office! (I'm 52 and never felt the need for a Rotten Tomatoes account before. LOL) The worst thing I can say about it--costing it half a star--was that the zombie sub-plot seemed… as though some of the scenes that would've helped it flow better ended up on the cutting room floor in an effort to shorten the movie length or something like that. (Run time is 108 minutes, according to Wikipedia, though it "feels" shorter to me.) That said, it's still not difficult to follow, so it's a fairly minor complaint. The reviewer who said, "The movie strives to be both scary and funny but winds up being neither" seems to have completely missed the whole point of the movie. Despite the zombies, it's not a horror movie. It's a sassy, action-adventure-romance set in England's Regency period, with droll, highbrow British humor, and some kick-a$$ characters—that happens to have zombies in it. (The more I think about it, the more I think that the types of people who would appreciate the humor and the Jane Austen aspects wouldn't necessarily be drawn to a zombie movie, and the people who'd really dig a good gory zombie flick wouldn't necessarily be pulled to this kind of humor and backdrop. I guess I'm just a special kind of weirdo.) Nevertheless!!! It's wonderful, it's fun, it's re-watchable! Give this movie a chance! (And might I also just add that, though the chances of any of the actors reading this review are exceedingly slim, I hope they're proud of the job they did on the movie. It was very well done.) (NOTE: I have not read the book of the same name on which the movie was based, so I can't speak to how well movie follows book.)

• Jul 07, 2021

Look, it's not a perfect movie. It's not the most reverent or detailed adaptation of Pride and Prejudice and it's also not a gory zombie-fest. But if you let the film stand as it was intended — a messy and quirky experimental genre film — it's an amazingly fun time and better than it has any right to be. The cast is great. The visuals and the fight scenes are stunning. And there are at least a few scenes that completely capitalize on the film's potential and will make the entire viewing experience worth it. If you like your romance with a side of zombies, give it a try.

• Apr 05, 2021

Kind of movie that knows what it is, good fun to watch for a lil bit of everything

• Mar 31, 2021

Fantastic film 10/10, I love this film and so do my friends Apple Jack and Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie, watch this dang film though cause I mean Zombies+Austen=perfection!

• Michael M Super Reviewer
    Mar 12, 2021

While this is a fascinating experiment in genre work and something I would love to see more of, in this case it just doesn't work as well as I wanted it to. It gets a moderate positive from me because it is, in the end, good enough. When I compare it to it's authors other adapted work though, Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, there's been a step down. Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter deftly combined a biographical narrative with badass action and an interesting vampire mythology. For Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, the ingredients are there, but they're not explored or synchronized nearly as well. Pride and Prejudice probably gets the most attention, and really the story will stop full tilt to become a P&P movie at times. Admittedly a more badass one with Elizabeth Bennett and Mr. Darcy actually in physical conflict over their disagreements, and I kind of liked this new take on the narrative with a more kickass Bennett, but it's still just P&P. And then it will just be interrupted by zombies. And the zombie stuff is okay. It's watered down PG-13 zombie action, but it's fun enough. And the biggest missed opportunity of all, a zombie conspiracy involving intelligent zombies, a religion, and an army of the damned. It's fascinating stuff! It's also confusing, weird, and barely explored. Perhaps I'm being too hard on the movie though. It has its merits, I assure you. For one, the cast in universally excellent, and they are able to play their dual roles as Pride & Prejudice alums and badass zombie slayers in equal measure. The thing I enjoyed most about this movie though was its unique setting for the apocalyptic fiction. Most zombie stories are set in modern day, or a far off and ruined future. 19th Century England is, if nothing else, a unique take. At first I thought it was weird and forced how they continued with their parties and royalty in a zombie apocalypse. But then I thought, English people of this era? Yeah, they would wouldn't they. It's a unique take separate from the lone streets of The Walking Dead, and there old timey methods of hunting made for fun slaying. Pride and Prejudice and Zombies is a movie that's never as fun as its title. It's still a unique take on both Pride & Prejudice and zombie fiction though, and while it isn't the kickass film I wanted it to be, it was enough fun to keep me satisfied.

• Feb 05, 2021

This was far far better than I expected it to be. It offers a truly original take on Pride and Prejudice, playing freely with its elements while somehow managing to stay utterly true to the original's essence. Quality actors, art direction and writing. Plus, seeing the perfect Miss Bennets taking out zombies with Shaolin moves at the Netherfield ball is entirely hilarious. I have no idea why all the critics insisted on uniting to trash it but it really is delightful. Of course if you want a scary horror film this isn't it. But if you want a genuinely creative take on an old chestnut (and don't mind some generic blood and guts) you can't miss with Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.

• Dec 13, 2020

«I watched "Pride and prejudice and zombies" a few times. This is one of my favourite films, despite a lot of disadvantages. Let's start with pluses. Since it's the most modern film of these 4, the shooting is awesome. Atmosphere, of course, overshadowed because of zombies, but it still fit in the novel's one. Interior and locations are amazing too! Costumes and appearance of the characters are perfect for me. Especially ball's women's dresses and men's costumes. All actors chose basing on character's appearance from the Jane Ostin's novel - it's so great. Also, I love this film because of women's power, that shows here. The women and men are equal, despite the time of the adaptation. The close-up plans and battle scenes are wonderful. The cast - incredible. All of the Bennet's family is beautiful. Particularly Charles Dance (Mr. Bennet), Sally Phillips (Mrs. Bennet) and both oldest sisters Lily James and Bella Heathcote . Also, I want to mention one of my favourites versions of Mr. Darcy - Sam Riley's. Despite a certain grotesque vices and personalities that showed in this film, Darcy played incredible! What I can't say about following characters. I'm going to start with Mr. Collins (Matt Smith). It is the worst version of this character. He showed as a ridiculous, stupid, arrogant man, but in the novel he is different. Next one is Mr. Bingley (Douglas Booth). He looks foolish as for me. I can't say that Lady Catherine de Bourgh (Lena Headey) played bad, but it's opposite character from the one in the novel. Also, there weren't number of scenes and characters. As for me, the idea of refreshing classic novel by zombies isn't so bad it's just made that way. Because of them lots of "holes" in the plot appears as well as questions to director and to screenwriter. Summary, if you want to watch fiction lovely high-quality film based on the Jane Ostin's novel, then you can watch this. If you want to see film adaptation of the "Pride and prejudice", then I recommend you to watch 1940's film or 2005's. Choice between them depends on your own taste.» Ranking 8,5/10

• Dec 10, 2020

I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Dec 09, 2020

I saw this movie for the first time last night and I loved it! Will watch it hundreds of times over! Looking forward to another one! Please!

• Nov 29, 2020

I love the source material and I love this zombie-filled rendition. Mr. Darcy's gentlemanly floor-length leather jacket is so squeaky but so perfect for the apocalypse.