The Princess Bride - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Princess Bride Reviews

Page 1 of 1912
January 21, 2017
Puntaje Original: 6.0

Cursi, pero no aburrida; te la puedes pasar entretenido durante más de una hora, aunque preferentemente, busca mejores opciones.
January 17, 2017
Rob Reiner creates a cult-hit with slapstick-ish humor and an enchanting charm. The Princess Bride has solid action, Reiner's signature style of narrative along with a number of witty gags that may be senseless at times but overall grows with the story, making for a memorable rom-com unlike any other before or after. 4/5
January 4, 2017
Without a doubt my favorite movie of all time. A classic in every sense of the word, more quotable than Casablanca with a funnier lead.
½ December 30, 2016
It's a wonderful fantasy adventure that captures the imagination. It's silly, romantic, lovely, dramatic and endearing all at the same time. It's a movie you'll be watching 20 years from now. (4.5/5)
½ December 30, 2016
A fun feel good adventure for the ages with a surprising amount of heart
½ December 30, 2016
Comedy can be a tricky thing to get right. It is highly subjective, and there are so many types of it that won't land with various people, that it can be difficult to find a comedy that works for a large group. I will not tout The Princess Bride as a comedy for every single viewer, but it works for a lot of people.

The film relies on a heavy dose of straight man comedy; the setups and punchlines are very understated. Unlike the sitcoms of its time, there is no laugh track; it is up to the audience to decide what is funny. The comedy does feel out of its time, but I find this refreshing. Dry delivery is something that is uncommon nowadays, and it really shines here.

It is also an action/romance film done in true legendary style. Swashbuckling, adventure, and strange beasts are all present, and nothing distracts from the main plot. There is also a great throughline, with character development for everyone. The conclusion of the film is also satisfying; there is no comedic 'pull the rug out' moment.

Each element of the film is given the appropriate weight; action, romance, and comedy all blend seamlessly together to create a fantastic film.
½ December 24, 2016
Who doesn't like this movie? Honestly.
December 23, 2016
This movie beats out the Godfather, and Gone with the Wind as my number one favorite movie of all!
December 13, 2016
One of the greatest movies of all time
December 1, 2016
The fantasy movie that has a little of everything, to quote the movie, it has "Fencing, fighting, torture, revenge, giants, monsters, chases, escapes, true love, miracles."
What they leave out is the all-star cast that includes Billy Crystal, Mandy Patinkin, Andre the Giant, Fred Savage, Peter Faulk, Carey Elwes, and Robin Wright just to name a few. Rob Reiner directed this wonderful film and it was written by William Goldman. The Princess Bride tackles issues like murder, kidnapping, torture, and death with a campy, comedic flair that never takes itself too seriously while still showing the virtues of friendship, love, and even hope in the face of despair. A family friendly film that is enjoyable for all ages. Billy Crystal and Carol Kane are completely delightful and have a wonderful chemistry on film.
The iconic sword-fight between Elwes and Patinkin was quite clever and very entertaining. Released in 1987, so the special effects and animatronics aren't up to part with today's standards, but they did quite well with the tools they had then. My only complaint is that although Elwes and Wright were great in their acting, they lacked any on-screen chemistry, fortunately their paired scenes were infrequent. In my opinion, the final scene of the film sums up the underlying premise of this film with the last three words.
½ November 29, 2016
Simple and effective, The Princess Bride follows a typical story formula, yet evolves through it to be an entertaining, funny, and refreshing tale of romance, friendship, and revenge.
½ November 29, 2016
The Princess Bride is one of those movies that's hard not to love.
November 26, 2016
The movie is terrible, not sure why anyone like it at all. I fell asleep the 1st 3 times I watched it in High school and now as a 32 year old it is even worse when finished.
½ November 22, 2016
Light-hearted, cute, funny, and just overall likable, The Princess Bride presents itself like a fairy tale that is timeless across multiple generations and it can be understood and enjoyed by everyone.
The use of painted backgrounds, over exaggerated music, and over exaggerated characters help strengthen the idea that this is a book we have already read as young child, but it now feels fresh and new again thanks to the film's keen self awareness in its subject matter.
For younger audiences, this is a film that correctly demonstrates why it is both rewarding and important for them to read books as a medium to comprehend human creativity, ideas, and facts.
Both Mandy Patinkin and André the Giant deliver particularly strong performances - truly becoming the characters they were cast to play as.
November 19, 2016
Favorite all time. Watched it 100 times; maybe more.
November 17, 2016
This movie is definitely rated too highly. I would probably give it 85%. There are other movies that are way better even though I do like Princess Bride.
November 13, 2016
When someone asks, "What's your favorite movie?" I used to find it an almost impossible question. Did they mean, what's my favorite comedy? Action-adventure? Fantasy? Romance? How about irreverent teen film that transforms into a heartwarming family-film moment type of thing? Well I don't understand all the nuances of Hollywood but I do know there is a single movie WORTHY of the all-encompassing Favorite Movie title. The movie you could take on a desert island. The move you could play a drinking game to. The movie you could watch with your True Love. That's what makes it the BEST movie. Thank you, Princess Bride :)
November 11, 2016
My favorite movie of all time.
November 8, 2016
Sempre ouvi maravilhas desse filme, tanto de amigxs quanto da crítica especializada, e juro que tentei, mas não consegui me conectar com toda a atmosfera de matinê e os personagens do filme. Não me entreteve nem um pouco.
Page 1 of 1912