The Princess Bride - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Princess Bride Reviews

Page 1 of 1913
½ July 24, 2017
It's ok, some very funny lines
July 21, 2017
A superb movie with the rare quality of staying fresh, funny and moving on repeated viewings. The title sounds saccharine and only-for-children, but don't be put off - the sweetness and romance is well balanced by acid, action and absurdity. A diverse bunch of characters, great cameos by Billy Crystal and Peter Cook, and a Mark Knopfler soundtrack - a unique movie that's close to perfect. Once you've watched, William Goodman's book rewards a read.
½ July 12, 2017
One of the few movies which can be classified as romance which I really truly like.
July 11, 2017
This is a perfect movie.
½ July 10, 2017
With a cast of colorful fantasy characters, a mix of plots and endless laughs, The Princess Bride charms it's way to the top.
June 27, 2017
Amazing film, has become one of my new favourite films of all time, up there with Back to the Future and Raiders of the Lost Ark. Must see.
June 16, 2017
So I'm not a fan of this movie I just don't find it a good movie because it's to old fashioned and this fairytale is not that great
½ June 12, 2017
A classic I will always go back and watch!
June 12, 2017
I dunno I just love this movie!
June 4, 2017
I like this movie. I don't think I love it as much as some folks do. It's an agreeable fairy tale with an enjoyably self-aware, slightly cynical sense of humor. When it works, the sword fight between Cary Elwes and Mandy Patinkin for example, it really excels. When it doesn't ... Billy Crystal, some of Andre the Giant's acting ... it just kind of lies there, but never for too long. It sometimes feels to me like the film thinks its' absolutely hilarious, while maybe it's just pretty damn amusing.
½ June 1, 2017
One of the absolute classics of cinema. The Princess Bride never fails to entertain; young or old!
½ May 16, 2017
Princess Bride, The (1987) C-98m. ?? 1/2 D: Rob Reiner. Cary Elwes, Mandy Patinkin, Robin Wright, Peter Falk, Wallace Shawn, Fred Savage, André the Giant, Wallace Shawn, Billy Crystal. A grandfather (played by Falk) reads an adventure/fairy tale to his grandson about a beautiful young woman and her true love, who must find and rescue her after a long separation. Well-cast film has some grand moments (and terrific swashbuckling sequences) but the parts are greater than the whole . . . and the story is thoroughly weakened by sporadic comic shtick and instances of incoherencey via characters.
May 15, 2017
Cult classic. Lovable to watch with friends. Cary Elwes is fantastic. Respect for that man.
May 13, 2017
A very comical, romantic, and adventurous original film that deserves to be called a classic
April 7, 2017
Awesome, fun movie!!
½ April 1, 2017
This movie sucked. Not sure why anyone liked it. I'd rather watch Howard the Duck 100 times over this movie. I don't get the hype.
March 19, 2017
Despite the dated, low budget effects, this movie stands the test of time. It has an innocent sweetness that is rare in movies these days. I enjoy watching it as much now as I did when I was a kid, and I have yet to hear someone say they dislike this movie.
March 15, 2017
It would be inconceivable to dislike this movie!
March 12, 2017
It took me 30 years to figure out this wasn't a 'chick flick' and to give it a watch. A quirky little fantasy film, but quite entertaining and has stood the test of time. Decent characters, okay pace, some action and humour.
March 11, 2017
I have so much love for this film. Aesthetically pleasing and a delight to watch. I have yet to meet anyone who dislikes this movie and if I do I'm sure they would be a monster.

There's really no way to classify this comedy/fairy tale/fantasy/adventure and that is why it has withstood the tests of time and become a cult classic. From the cheesy catch phrases to the characters ridiculous names The Princess Bride does not take itself too seriously and a lot fun.
Page 1 of 1913