The Princess Bride - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Princess Bride Reviews

Page 1 of 1915
½ March 19, 2018
A film from my childhood, and even as an adult, it holds uo. A must see
½ March 6, 2018
An Inconceivably fantastic film with great humor and camp.
½ February 28, 2018
When I first started watching the movie I was told that it was going to be really bad. I had never heard of this movie until like 5 minutes before I started watching it. At the very beginning it did not seem like such an interesting movie starting off with a kid whose sick playing his video games then the mom coming in and start complaining about him being sick. It just wasn't interesting. It made me want to stop watching it right then and there. Once the grandfather started reading the book and the official story started it was super super cringy for me to watch. It made me want to stop watching even more. The grandfather narrating the storyline for a bit seemed like a great thing I really liked that. The farm boy seemed to be sorta funny with his single line of "As you wish" but that was it. Everything else about that beginning love story was pure cringe. Like when buttercup asked farm boy to get her a pan of some sort that was like literally 2 feet away from her it made me just go wow.
After all that cringe, it was just a classic love story. Her lover dies in a tragic accident at sea and she gets super sad having to move on, she gets taken away to be the new princess when she doesn't want to and of course the prince is a terrible evil guy. Soon she gets kidnapped and taken away by three bandits and has to be rescued by her hero. It's basically like a fairytale love story.
When I was watching the film there were some scenes that you could say were too bright. You could see the super bright lights on set reflecting of the rocks way to much. The sun shining would not look like that at all. A couple of scenes you could tell super easily that everything was fake and you could say made cheaply. However some scenes were actually very good like when they were in the forest it looked like they were in a real forest and I liked how it looked. Some scenes seemed to have dark humor which I personally thought it was funny but some people might not think the same. Other scenes like in the water there were these eels that actually looked realistic and were super cool. Something I really seemed to like about the movie was the way the characters talked. They had that fancy type of high class talk and it really went along with the movie perfect. A couple of movie mistakes were seen if you look very closely. They weren't anything too completely crazy but they were there. It was things like props being in different spots throughout a scene, you could see crew equipment in other scenes, hair being in a different position between shots, fire being too far away to burn buttercup in one scene. One when wesley lands far away from his sword but in the next shot he is right next to it. A sorta major mistake was when you could clearly see buttercups stunt double was actually a man with a full beard.
. The bandits, Vizzini as the leader, Fezzik as the muscle, and Inigo Montoya as a swordsman. I personally really liked these three since they were the funniest out of everyone. Vizzini with his classic line of "inconceivable" was really funny for me and I think it really set a fan base for him. He was definitely one of the funniest characters in the movie. Fezzik was the classic friendly giant that was taken for granted by vizzini. Inigo Montoya said he was just a part of this for the meantime till he got enough money to hunt down the man who killed his father. One part of the movie that was very funny to me was when the three bandits were being chased by a man in black. All of their interactions were very funny.
Overall i thought this movie was great. I went into it expecting it to be like garbage but in the end after it was all over i wished i could see it again. I would definitely recommend this movie to anyone.
½ February 24, 2018
So exquisitely memorable, the witty one liners on this are endless and the romance is genuine. I watched this movie so many times as a child I can almost quote it word for word. Perfect cast.

1001 movies to see before you die.
February 14, 2018
Filled with fencing, fighting, torture, revenge, giants, monsters, chases, escapes, true love, and miracles, The Princess Bride is a charming, timeless tale.
½ February 11, 2018
I heard the mvie is great.The book is awesome.
January 21, 2018
My best film of all time. Never tire of watching it. Know most of the lines. One to be left alone and never touched/re-made!
January 20, 2018
Clever and funny, the princess bride is a true masterpiece.
January 7, 2018
This is my favorite movie of all time
½ December 30, 2017
If someone wants to enjoy this movie, they have to be part of a very specific audience. You either have to be young and with a family, or an adult who realizes how this film is good. The film itself contained a classic storyline with lovable characters. The cliche damsel-in-distress plot, is successfully executed in such an enjoyable and classical way. From emotional fights, to the connecting romance, The Princess Bride is a classic tale to be told for future generations to come.
December 30, 2017
December 30, 2017
The Princess Bride is one of the most rewatchable movies in history. This rich, robust, and homey comedy never ages and never falters. Rob Reiner's direction, aside from a truly terrible film score, is unassailable in every comedy beat. Then there is the absolutely perfect casting. Cary Elwes, Robin Wright, Mandy Patinkin, Andre the Giant, and each of the supporting players, from Chris Sarandon as the evil Prince, Christopher Guest as the evil six-fingered henchman, and Billy Crystal's cameo as Miracle Max, could not be better.
December 19, 2017
Puntaje Original: 6.0

Cursi, pero no aburrida; te la puedes pasar entretenido durante más de una hora, aunque preferentemente, busca mejores opciones.
December 17, 2017
This was a great ride, every time I've seen it.
December 12, 2017
Andre the Giant is in this movie. 5/5
November 17, 2017
I have watched this movie hundreds of times and i find it more entertaining with every viewing
½ November 10, 2017
Having beef with The Princess Bride is like having beef with the pope. It's a film staple and you're not even an hour in before you see why. With just about everything you could ask for in a film, It's no wonder "classic" and Princess Bride get used a lot in the same sentence.

For the four of you that haven't seen the film (five before I finally made my wife sit down and watch), The Princess Bride is simply about a hero trying to rescue his true love from the clutches of an evil king. Cary Elwes stars as hero Wesley trying to save his love Buttercup (Robin Wright). He's a dashing savior, as quick with his tongue as he is with his sword. His delivery is flawless and you will find yourself cracking up just by his natural mannerisms. The rest of the cast is equally as delightful, if not moreso in some cases. My personal favorite was Carol Kane as Valerie. Even as I type this I have a big smile on my face thinking about her running into the room screaming, "Liar! LIARRRR!"

The comedy is the engine that drives this film. It's funny and in a number of ways. Sometimes subtle. Sometimes downright in your face. There are too many memorable lines/scenes to count. From "So tweasure your wove" to "Inconceivable!" to "Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya..." Not only do these memorable moments come a dime a dozen, they stand the test of time.

A CLASSIC that will not die. I give it a 95.
November 8, 2017
At first glance, The Princess Bride would appear to be a typical fairytale with miracles, monsters, giants, swordplay and true love but it's so much more than that. A grandfather comes to visit his sick grandson and read him The Princess Bride, a story about Buttercup, a princess who falls in love with a farm boy, Westley, and what befalls her after his apparent death at the hands of the Dread Pirate Roberts. This is an incredibly charming film that openly mocks the fantasy genre whilst also playing into it with a nice mixture of comedy, romance and action. It's no wonder The Princess Bride has become a cult classic, it's full of satire, eccentric characters, brilliant one liners and iconic performances across the board. Robin Wright is good as Buttercup, who is usually the straight man in the comedic moments, Cary Elwes has a brilliantly dry wit as Westley, Wallace Shawn is wonderfully neurotic as Vizzini, Billy Crystal is hysterical as Miracle Max and Andre Rene Roussimoff is incredibly loveable and charming as Fezzik the giant. Mandy Patinkin adds a lot of drama and heart to the film as Inigo Montoya, a man in search of revenge for his murdered father, and has perhaps the most quotable line in the whole piece.
The cinematography is also excellent, with great lighting and camera work. The sets are wonderful, with a lot of scenes set in the countryside, real locations and well built sets. The props and costumes are also brilliantly detailed and well made. The soundtrack is excellent, really adding a lot to climactic moments and moment of humour and also encapsulating the feeling of fantasy and romance. The fight scenes are well choreographed and performed, particularly the sword fight between Inigo and Westley and are well integrated into the plot. There are only a few parts of the film that don't hold up so well. First is the scene with the ROUS, which is quite clearly someone in a costume and the rather strange way that Westley, Fezzic and Inigo get into the castle to save Buttercup. The biggest problem I have with this film however, is a scene where Westley threatens to hit Buttercup, even though he's pretending to be someone else, this seems very out of character and far too dark for what's supposed to be a romantic plot.
Overall though, this is a very enjoyable, funny film that stands the test of time. I will happily watch it over and over again as I wish.
½ October 23, 2017
The Princess Bride: The classic, cult following masterpiece. The Princess Bride not only is the perfect mix between fantasy storytelling but is timless and abosulte thanks catchy dialouge and a fun, but moving family fun story.
October 17, 2017
Good, creative, entertaining flic. The female lead is hilariously useless and helpless by today's standards, but I guess at the time it wasn't so bad. Predictable, sure, but solid entertainment thru-and-thru. 8.4 out of 10
Page 1 of 1915