The Princess Bride - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Princess Bride Reviews

Page 1 of 1910
June 25, 2016
It feels weird when people say they haven't seen this movie.
June 20, 2016
This movie is perfect, I absolutely this movie. And it's funny how, before watching, we judge be a "girl's movie" but it's a delightful and amazing that everyone can love. One of the most quotable movie i seen. Definitely should check.
½ April 18, 2016
A grandfather tells his grandson an adventurous story about a princess and the brave hero who saves her from an evil villain. This fantasy classic is pure entertainment for all ages.
½ June 12, 2016
This is the truest example of a classic fairytale I've seen. A diabolical villain, a charming prince, a beautiful princess, interesting side characters, and true love overpowering all, I don't know how anyone could dislike this movie. It's so eager to please, and so innocent in that pursuit, that it's just wonderful to watch.
June 12, 2016
One of my all time favorites.
½ May 12, 2010
The Princess Bride is a perfect blend of humour across the ages, and a charm catering to all. Through the eyes of a child and his story teller, It touches on loss, tragedy, death and revenge. An adventure filled with witty dialogue and fantastic actors, who do a magnificent job bringing to life such a simple story. The Princess Bride is result of great direction by Reiner, magnificent writing, and incredible acting. Forget the title, this film is for anyone with a heart.
May 25, 2016
Yes, I'm a little late to the party on this one, but I just watched The Princess Bride for the first time. Fun movie! I can see why it's a cult classic. Go watch it!
May 14, 2016
Minus a star because Buttercup needed to get her act together at times but other than that it was pretty good!
½ January 28, 2011
A fantastical adventure that delivers an incredibly fun third act. The main four cast members are great in their roles, but Inigo Montoya was by far the most enjoyable.
August 26, 2014
Relevent today, tomorrow, 30 years ago, and 30 years from now. Great characters, comedy, action, and a director who knows his source material.
½ September 17, 2013
Not quite a straight-laced fairy tale, and not quite a satire on straight-laced fairy tales, The Princess Bride is a perfectly timed and timeless take on the fairy tale structure, functioning as a substantial response to the lack of great medieval movies in the 1980s without feeling beholden to the decade. Even Fred Savage, who plays the boy hearing the story that is The Princess Bride, throws little to no contemporary lingo, allowing us to enjoy watching his character grow as the fantastical story unfolds. The plot itself is very accessible and familiar: Westley (Cary Elwes) and Buttercup (Robin Wright) are forever in love, Westley is forced to fight for his kingdom and is later presumed dead, and Buttercup can never fall in love again. Five years later, Buttercup is now the soon-to-be wife to the devilishly suave Prince Humperdinck (Chris Sarandon), and Westley finally returns in time to save Buttercup from abduction, assassination, and arranged marriage. In a sub-plot, three low-class marauders Vizzini (Wallace Shawn), Fezzik (Andre the Giant, perhaps the best on-screen performance from any professional wrestler ever), and Inigo Montoya (Mandy Patinkin) are looking to make ends meet through petty theft and hostage situations. Inigo has a greater ambition, however. The most famous quote from the movie sums up his motive economically. When he confronts Count Rugen (Christopher Guest), he will say, "Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die." I suspect that such an expositional quote was so memorable for everyone was because of its presentation and context. This character has no more to say to the Count, other than those words. Inigo doesn't even prove himself to be that threatening, before inevitably confronting the Count. That's what people love about heroes though. Their persistence is far more admirable than their track record, so when they drop a line like that, your attention is dead set on what will happen next. Director Rob Reiner and screenwriter/author William Goldman followed that with one of the movie's best jokes, ensuring the audience that this is all in good jest.

That's something that I wish more filmmakers would try -- to present a straightforward tale and advance it through comedy. Most movies rely on more common tropes, like the comic relief. Now thinking about the characters in The Princess Bride, there weren't any obvious comic relief characters. Andre the Giant comes closest to that, but he is still portrayed as a key member of the group of heroes. All of the characters are borderline plot devices, but I don't want to call that a weakness to the film's credit. It was a choice, and in the experience of watching the movie, I did not care that everyone wore their motives on their sleeves. The fact that they did opened me to appreciating other elements of the movie, like the economy of the fight scenes or the brilliance in the more subtle jokes in debt to both William Goldman and the cast. [I wish that I had written this review immediately after I watched the movie, so I could think of a good example.] I'm not much of a family-friendly guy, but I should note that this really is for all ages. In a time when Spielberg was the new inspiration children's film director, Rob Reiner thankfully forewent some of the shlocky traits of E.T. and used the relationship between Fred Savage and his grandfather (Peter Falk) in order for kids to better engage themselves. I don't think of The Princess Bride as a children's movie though. I can see many of the jokes going over kids' heads. That's okay! I believe this movie is worth watching at any age. There may not always be something new to discover, but substance is abound.
July 8, 2015
Even though the sets don't really hold up as realistic, everything else about this movie is still excellent.
½ April 24, 2016
A fun, goofy movie that is nonetheless an entertaining ride.
½ April 23, 2016
The Princess Bride is charmingly good natured - it has such a likable nice atmosphere, filled with a great story, impressive performances, and a broad cast of colorful characters. It's such a classic today for a good reason.
Based on the novel of the same name and in the perspective of a grandfather reading it to his grandson, The Princess Bride follows Princess Buttercup and her love for the poor but perfectly heroic farmhand Westley, as conflicting marriage from a villainous prince gets in the way of their blossoming love. We also see some great interactions from Mandy Patinkin as Inigo Montoya, a expert swordsman hellbent on killing the murderer of his father, and Andre the Giant as the gentle giant Fezzik - Wallace Shawn, albeit a short performance, is inconcievably hilarious in his witty role.
The Princess Bride is, in a word, undeniably good spirited and enjoyable - it's hard to dislike it. Although it's predictable and a bit cliched, the story is compelling and adds bits of satire to the common fairytale hero scenario and doesn't disappoint. As I mentioned before, the performances are great. Both Elwes and Wright have great performances and chemistry, but Patinkin and Andre's more comedic duo approach is what steals the show. The characters are very likable and their performances are excellent. I think if anything that the film lacks in is the amount of comedy most fans hype about. What comedy that is in The Princess Bride is indeed clever, but not hilarious. It may just be a "more you watch it" type thing but the punchlines didn't deliver as much as I thought they would. Nonetheless, the constantly delivering atmosphere of The Princess Bride gives it a world of its own - a real timeless comedy adventure and one of Reiner's best works.
½ April 22, 2016
It struck me as a combination of 'Monty Python and the Holy Grail' and Rob Reiner's own 'This is Spinal Tap'. While it has moments of laugh-out-loud slapstick humor like the former, also tries to invest a story of its own no matter how clichéd the characters or storyline is (of course it was intentional) as the latter. The exchanges between the kid and his grandfather starts a little disconnected but develops wonderfully as the story moves on. But Cary Elwes was the weak point as he neither has the comic timing nor the persona to pull this off.

The bride (Robin Wright) falls in love with her farm boy Westley (Cary Elwes). When Westley heads out to the world to make a living, the news of his death in the hands of a dreaded pirate devastates the bride. An egotistic and scheming Prince Humperdinck (Chris Sarandon) betroths her to hatch an evil plot. By staging an abduction and blaming the neighboring kingdom, he plans to woo his citizens to back his war. He uses the help of Vizzini (Wallace Shawn) the brains, Inigo Motoya (Mandy Patinkin) the steel and Fezzik (André the Giant) the muscle. When the dreaded pirate comes thwart his plan, it becomes personal.

Rob Reiner knows how to make a slapstick. Just like 'This is Spinal Tap', he doesn't go all out nasty - but picks the essential clichés and use it to his advantage. But the movie is far from perfect due to relatively shortage of gags where it ebbs and tides between lull and hilarity. The thread between the grandfather and kid was so important for this movie to click as they interrupt the fairytale in the exact moments where it starts to become too much or too dull. The trio of the brains, steel and muscle were so perfect together and they produce some real entertainment. Cary Elwes was missing the quality that the rest of the cast had - natural comic timing and comes off as a weakling and makes it difficult to root for him.

Not a Monty Python but definitely entertaining
April 19, 2016
Citizen Kane. Princess Bride. Enough said.
½ April 18, 2016
The Princess Bride is endlessly quotable, entertaining, and rewatchable. Its writing is superb, as well as the acting, and it has many great visuals. This film is a great movie to watch with a group of friends.
½ April 16, 2016
I find this movie sexist because the lead role was defenseless the entire time and acted as the damsel in distress. While Westley was battling the large rodent, she didn't bother helping and she just stood there.
May 3, 2015
Good luck turning away..... This movie is lovely!
Page 1 of 1910