The Princess Bride - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Princess Bride Reviews

Page 1 of 1912
December 1, 2016
The fantasy movie that has a little of everything, to quote the movie, it has "Fencing, fighting, torture, revenge, giants, monsters, chases, escapes, true love, miracles."
What they leave out is the all-star cast that includes Billy Crystal, Mandy Patinkin, Andre the Giant, Fred Savage, Peter Faulk, Carey Elwes, and Robin Wright just to name a few. Rob Reiner directed this wonderful film and it was written by William Goldman. The Princess Bride tackles issues like murder, kidnapping, torture, and death with a campy, comedic flair that never takes itself too seriously while still showing the virtues of friendship, love, and even hope in the face of despair. A family friendly film that is enjoyable for all ages. Billy Crystal and Carol Kane are completely delightful and have a wonderful chemistry on film.
The iconic sword-fight between Elwes and Patinkin was quite clever and very entertaining. Released in 1987, so the special effects and animatronics aren't up to part with today's standards, but they did quite well with the tools they had then. My only complaint is that although Elwes and Wright were great in their acting, they lacked any on-screen chemistry, fortunately their paired scenes were infrequent. In my opinion, the final scene of the film sums up the underlying premise of this film with the last three words.
½ November 29, 2016
Simple and effective, The Princess Bride follows a typical story formula, yet evolves through it to be an entertaining, funny, and refreshing tale of romance, friendship, and revenge.
½ November 29, 2016
The Princess Bride is one of those movies that's hard not to love.
November 26, 2016
The movie is terrible, not sure why anyone like it at all. I fell asleep the 1st 3 times I watched it in High school and now as a 32 year old it is even worse when finished.
½ November 22, 2016
Light-hearted, cute, funny, and just overall likable, The Princess Bride presents itself like a fairy tale that is timeless across multiple generations and it can be understood and enjoyed by everyone.
The use of painted backgrounds, over exaggerated music, and over exaggerated characters help strengthen the idea that this is a book we have already read as young child, but it now feels fresh and new again thanks to the film's keen self awareness in its subject matter.
For younger audiences, this is a film that correctly demonstrates why it is both rewarding and important for them to read books as a medium to comprehend human creativity, ideas, and facts.
Both Mandy Patinkin and André the Giant deliver particularly strong performances - truly becoming the characters they were cast to play as.
November 19, 2016
Favorite all time. Watched it 100 times; maybe more.
November 17, 2016
This movie is definitely rated too highly. I would probably give it 85%. There are other movies that are way better even though I do like Princess Bride.
November 13, 2016
When someone asks, "What's your favorite movie?" I used to find it an almost impossible question. Did they mean, what's my favorite comedy? Action-adventure? Fantasy? Romance? How about irreverent teen film that transforms into a heartwarming family-film moment type of thing? Well I don't understand all the nuances of Hollywood but I do know there is a single movie WORTHY of the all-encompassing Favorite Movie title. The movie you could take on a desert island. The move you could play a drinking game to. The movie you could watch with your True Love. That's what makes it the BEST movie. Thank you, Princess Bride :)
November 11, 2016
My favorite movie of all time.
November 8, 2016
Sempre ouvi maravilhas desse filme, tanto de amigxs quanto da crítica especializada, e juro que tentei, mas não consegui me conectar com toda a atmosfera de matinê e os personagens do filme. Não me entreteve nem um pouco.
½ November 3, 2016
When I was a kid we watched The Princess Bride God knows how many times, yet it's been so long since then that I felt nervous returning to it. I was also watching it with other people and if you don't have the patience for it you might not be in on the joke in the first act of this delightfully post modern fairy tale that takes every opportunity it gets to satirise and poke fun at fantasy and fairy-tale cliches. This doesn't mean necessarily that the fairy tale itself isn't entertaining. I can say with pleasure though, that it is just as delightful, quirky, and witty as it was every other time I watched it as a child and everyone else seemed to be enjoying it also.

The narrative of The Princess Bride is hard to say immediately, taking after Chaucer's The Canterbury Tales, it takes the opportunity of a fantasy tale being told to then comment on the genre of fantasy itself. A character credited just as 'The Grandson' is sick, and 'The Grandfather', affectionately played by Peter Falk, (Columbo, A Woman Under the Influence), reads him a book passed down through his family's generation like Pulp Fiction's gold watch, just with less ass-hiding and Christopher Walken. It tales the tale of Buttercup, who after her dear Wesley, (played with a lot of wit and fun by Cary Elwes, best known otherwise for Robin Hood: Men in Tights, and, well, Saw), dies, is married off to Prince Humperdinck.

This film works on a fair few levels, if you're a kid, you indentify with the figure of The Grandson, who is so perfectly written to encapsulate the young boy who pretends not to like 'kissing stories' but can't help but be absorbed by a really good one, and that this is. A really good story with aspects to attract all audiences, that's another level it works on as just a fantastic narrative, and then it works on a post-modern commentary in the same way that director Rob Reiner's This Is Spinal Tap is a post-modern commentary on the rock-doc and cock-rock metal music in general. The sets do look a bit setish but in a way that's part of the kitch charm this film holds, and who knows, with a film like this it might be on purpose.

Now those who read my Escape from New York review might recall me saying that it might not be excusable to look cheap and claim post-modernism, but there's a difference between that and looking cheap on purpose. In the case of The Princess Bride it's a case of whether you find that charming or irritating, and who knows, it might not even be a thing that the film's doing.

The film is aided by a wonderfully fun cast that fill out an eclectic mix of entertaining and occasionally slightly anachronistic characters. The names include leading lady Robin Wright, (Forrest Gump, House of Cards), Chris Sarandon, (The Nightmare Before Christmas), Christopher Guest, (This Is Spinal Tap, A Few Good Men), Wallace Shawn, (Toy Story, Clueless), Mandy Pitinkin, (Homeland), Mel Smith, (Father Christmas, National Lampoon's European Vacation), Carol Kane, (Dog Day Afternoon, Annie Hall), Billy Crystal, (Monsters, Inc., When Harry Met Sally...), and the late, great, Andre The Giant. Some of the characters only showing up for seconds at a time but doing their bit with gusto and verve.

This film is a delight for all the family, and if you haven't seen it you had the wrong parents. I'm honestly really struggling to think of flaws, I'm sure it has them but the fact I didn't notice them really speaks a testament to the film.
November 2, 2016
Amazing acting. Brilliant screenplay. A must see classic of a movie!
October 28, 2016
I saw this as a child in the movie theatre and loved it. I have the DVD now and have watched it many more times - it never gets old. The script, the humour the actors all bring something wonderful to the screen for all ages.
October 25, 2016
Movie Review: Final
Fencing, fighting, giants, revenge, true love. The Princess Bride starring: Cary Elwes, Robin Wright, and Mandy Patinkin, speaks of a quest for love and the battle to obtain it. Princess Buttercup (played by Robin Wright) falls in love with a farm boy named Wesley (Cary Elwes). Wesley soon sails off to find a job in order to pay for their marriage, however he would never make it to find a job. After Wesleys death the war seeking Prince Humperdink makes Buttercup his bride-to-be. Buttercup gets kidnapped by a genius named Vizzini, a master swordsman named Inigo, and a giant named Fezzik. Buttercup's kidnappers are followed by a stranger, and after they are defeated the stranger reveals himself. Afterwards the action begins to pick up and the quest for love truly begins. The movie keeps the story going, and the characters have strong morals that drive them to the end. It tells a good story, and presents challenges to overcome that are eventually solved. The special effects of the R.O.U.S's (Rodents Of Unusual Size) were clunky. Although as fezzik was climbing up the cliffs of insanity scene was suspenseful, and the way it was made was cool, Vizzini could have been a little easier on Fezzik. Overall I would give the movie 4 out of 5 stars, and recommend this movie to all audiences!
½ October 17, 2016
Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father, prepare to die! I never get enough of this flick! Some parts are different from the book, but the rest of it is a wonderful adaptation!
October 14, 2016
Hilariously silly and deliciously campy!
October 13, 2016
Not for younger audience but the princess bride aged very well , even after 20 years the movie had me laughing and cheering for true love .
It is a classic fairy tale that influenced modern pop culture and we still ear quotes in popular TV shows (such as big bang theory )
October 10, 2016
Cult classic. Lovable to watch with friends. Cary Elwes is fantastic. Respect for that man. ?? ????????
September 29, 2016
Excellent movie! Finally saw it after years of people saying "Your last name is Vizzini, like the guy from the Princess Bride"
Page 1 of 1912