The Princess Bride - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Princess Bride Reviews

Page 1 of 1914
November 17, 2017
I have watched this movie hundreds of times and i find it more entertaining with every viewing
½ November 10, 2017
Having beef with The Princess Bride is like having beef with the pope. It's a film staple and you're not even an hour in before you see why. With just about everything you could ask for in a film, It's no wonder "classic" and Princess Bride get used a lot in the same sentence.

For the four of you that haven't seen the film (five before I finally made my wife sit down and watch), The Princess Bride is simply about a hero trying to rescue his true love from the clutches of an evil king. Cary Elwes stars as hero Wesley trying to save his love Buttercup (Robin Wright). He's a dashing savior, as quick with his tongue as he is with his sword. His delivery is flawless and you will find yourself cracking up just by his natural mannerisms. The rest of the cast is equally as delightful, if not moreso in some cases. My personal favorite was Carol Kane as Valerie. Even as I type this I have a big smile on my face thinking about her running into the room screaming, "Liar! LIARRRR!"

The comedy is the engine that drives this film. It's funny and in a number of ways. Sometimes subtle. Sometimes downright in your face. There are too many memorable lines/scenes to count. From "So tweasure your wove" to "Inconceivable!" to "Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya..." Not only do these memorable moments come a dime a dozen, they stand the test of time.

A CLASSIC that will not die. I give it a 95.
November 8, 2017
At first glance, The Princess Bride would appear to be a typical fairytale with miracles, monsters, giants, swordplay and true love but it's so much more than that. A grandfather comes to visit his sick grandson and read him The Princess Bride, a story about Buttercup, a princess who falls in love with a farm boy, Westley, and what befalls her after his apparent death at the hands of the Dread Pirate Roberts. This is an incredibly charming film that openly mocks the fantasy genre whilst also playing into it with a nice mixture of comedy, romance and action. It's no wonder The Princess Bride has become a cult classic, it's full of satire, eccentric characters, brilliant one liners and iconic performances across the board. Robin Wright is good as Buttercup, who is usually the straight man in the comedic moments, Cary Elwes has a brilliantly dry wit as Westley, Wallace Shawn is wonderfully neurotic as Vizzini, Billy Crystal is hysterical as Miracle Max and Andre Rene Roussimoff is incredibly loveable and charming as Fezzik the giant. Mandy Patinkin adds a lot of drama and heart to the film as Inigo Montoya, a man in search of revenge for his murdered father, and has perhaps the most quotable line in the whole piece.
The cinematography is also excellent, with great lighting and camera work. The sets are wonderful, with a lot of scenes set in the countryside, real locations and well built sets. The props and costumes are also brilliantly detailed and well made. The soundtrack is excellent, really adding a lot to climactic moments and moment of humour and also encapsulating the feeling of fantasy and romance. The fight scenes are well choreographed and performed, particularly the sword fight between Inigo and Westley and are well integrated into the plot. There are only a few parts of the film that don't hold up so well. First is the scene with the ROUS, which is quite clearly someone in a costume and the rather strange way that Westley, Fezzic and Inigo get into the castle to save Buttercup. The biggest problem I have with this film however, is a scene where Westley threatens to hit Buttercup, even though he's pretending to be someone else, this seems very out of character and far too dark for what's supposed to be a romantic plot.
Overall though, this is a very enjoyable, funny film that stands the test of time. I will happily watch it over and over again as I wish.
½ October 23, 2017
The Princess Bride: The classic, cult following masterpiece. The Princess Bride not only is the perfect mix between fantasy storytelling but is timless and abosulte thanks catchy dialouge and a fun, but moving family fun story.
October 17, 2017
Good, creative, entertaining flic. The female lead is hilariously useless and helpless by today's standards, but I guess at the time it wasn't so bad. Predictable, sure, but solid entertainment thru-and-thru. 8.4 out of 10
October 15, 2017
A true classic funny and original. A movie for all ages and time.
September 22, 2017
This is the best movie of all time. OF ALL TIME. Anyone who says differently is selling something.

Every line is brilliantly funny, the cast is incredible, and I've never seen better chemistry...and I know chemistry--I spent the last few years building up an immunity to iocane powder.

Words can't do this movie justice. The only disappointing thing about it is that the cast members didn't invite me to their reunion. Don't they realize I'm their biggest fan??? Inconceivable! I guess I just need to get used to disappointment.

So what is it about? Fencing, fighting, torture, revenge, giants, monsters, chases, escapes, true love, miracles. Doesn't sound so bad, right? Just try and stay awake...because if you don't I'm gonna have to emulate the movie and say "Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."

I mean, you seem a decent fellow...I hate to kill you. So I need you to love this movie as much as I love it. After all, true love is the greatest thing in the world...except for a nice M.L.T.--a mutton, lettuce, and tomato sandwich, where the mutton is nice and lean and the tomato is ripe. They're so perky, I love that! And you've gotta have a little dessert with it...after all, the chocolate makes it go down easier.

Anyway, where was I? Oh yes: watch this movie. Don't give me excuses; just say "as you wish" and do it. And if you have guests over, offer more than popcorn: make sure you ask if anybody wants a peanut.
½ September 8, 2017
The most ordinary fairytale storyline transformed into a side-splitting and fascinating movie. The cast is fantastic, the dialogues are hilarious and the stakes are so much higher than they would normally be. It's only a fairytale, as we are reminded every time the film cuts to the grandfather reading it to his grandson, but this might as well be the best fairytale ever, both simple and subversive, both meat-and-potatoes and meta, and definitely made with love, care and brilliant inspiration.
September 7, 2017
What? You've never seen The Princess Bride? Inconceivable!
August 30, 2017
Funny, romantic, adventurous - What's not to love?!
August 24, 2017
This was first and foremost a very funny movie. It was ridiculous, some of the things said and some of the things that were done were absolutely bonkers but they made this an amazing experience. Plotwise it was lacking,it is a fairytale but lacked the powerful story, but the romance was satisfying enough. I laughed really hard watching it, it is so much fun!
August 8, 2017
This is the movie I watch when I'm sad. It's actually perfect - the script, the acting, the sets, the music - and it will never get old.
August 5, 2017
Anybody want a peanut?
August 2, 2017
This film is just what it wants to be. It's a story being told to a child, and so while its not realistic in the slightest, it all feels right. It is also one of the most quotable movies ever made, and includes one of the best swordfights ever. Just watch it on a rainy day.
July 30, 2017
Love this film. It's got a sense humour.
½ July 28, 2017
It is inconceivable how much I love this film. I return to it time and time again to experience all the "as you wish's" and "kissing scenes." If you don't like this film "prepare to die!"
July 26, 2017
A 1987 classic film, a fairytale adventure about a beautiful princess and the gallant hero who rescues her from an evil villain in another world. Robin Wright and Cary Elwes were so young! The character of Oberyn Mart... , I mean, Inigo Montoya is perhaps the most satisfied character by the end of the film.
July 26, 2017
Absolutely hilarious and infinitely quotable. Hands down my favorite movie ever made.
½ July 24, 2017
It's ok, some very funny lines
July 21, 2017
A superb movie with the rare quality of staying fresh, funny and moving on repeated viewings. The title sounds saccharine and only-for-children, but don't be put off - the sweetness and romance is well balanced by acid, action and absurdity. A diverse bunch of characters, great cameos by Billy Crystal and Peter Cook, and a Mark Knopfler soundtrack - a unique movie that's close to perfect. Once you've watched, William Goodman's book rewards a read.
Page 1 of 1914