The Princess Bride - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Princess Bride Reviews

Page 1 of 1915
February 14, 2018
Filled with fencing, fighting, torture, revenge, giants, monsters, chases, escapes, true love, and miracles, The Princess Bride is a charming, timeless tale.
½ February 11, 2018
I heard the mvie is great.The book is awesome.
January 21, 2018
My best film of all time. Never tire of watching it. Know most of the lines. One to be left alone and never touched/re-made!
January 20, 2018
Clever and funny, the princess bride is a true masterpiece.
January 7, 2018
This is my favorite movie of all time
½ December 30, 2017
If someone wants to enjoy this movie, they have to be part of a very specific audience. You either have to be young and with a family, or an adult who realizes how this film is good. The film itself contained a classic storyline with lovable characters. The cliche damsel-in-distress plot, is successfully executed in such an enjoyable and classical way. From emotional fights, to the connecting romance, The Princess Bride is a classic tale to be told for future generations to come.
December 30, 2017
THIS MOVIE IS KRAP AND YALL KNOW
IT DEEP DOWN INSIDE YOU!!!
December 30, 2017
The Princess Bride is one of the most rewatchable movies in history. This rich, robust, and homey comedy never ages and never falters. Rob Reiner's direction, aside from a truly terrible film score, is unassailable in every comedy beat. Then there is the absolutely perfect casting. Cary Elwes, Robin Wright, Mandy Patinkin, Andre the Giant, and each of the supporting players, from Chris Sarandon as the evil Prince, Christopher Guest as the evil six-fingered henchman, and Billy Crystal's cameo as Miracle Max, could not be better. https://geeks.media/celebrating-30-years-of-the-princess-bride?_ga=2.88403547.1126457623.1513947710-953607229.1513947710
December 19, 2017
Puntaje Original: 6.0

Cursi, pero no aburrida; te la puedes pasar entretenido durante más de una hora, aunque preferentemente, busca mejores opciones.
December 17, 2017
This was a great ride, every time I've seen it.
December 12, 2017
Andre the Giant is in this movie. 5/5
November 17, 2017
I have watched this movie hundreds of times and i find it more entertaining with every viewing
½ November 10, 2017
Having beef with The Princess Bride is like having beef with the pope. It's a film staple and you're not even an hour in before you see why. With just about everything you could ask for in a film, It's no wonder "classic" and Princess Bride get used a lot in the same sentence.

For the four of you that haven't seen the film (five before I finally made my wife sit down and watch), The Princess Bride is simply about a hero trying to rescue his true love from the clutches of an evil king. Cary Elwes stars as hero Wesley trying to save his love Buttercup (Robin Wright). He's a dashing savior, as quick with his tongue as he is with his sword. His delivery is flawless and you will find yourself cracking up just by his natural mannerisms. The rest of the cast is equally as delightful, if not moreso in some cases. My personal favorite was Carol Kane as Valerie. Even as I type this I have a big smile on my face thinking about her running into the room screaming, "Liar! LIARRRR!"

The comedy is the engine that drives this film. It's funny and in a number of ways. Sometimes subtle. Sometimes downright in your face. There are too many memorable lines/scenes to count. From "So tweasure your wove" to "Inconceivable!" to "Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya..." Not only do these memorable moments come a dime a dozen, they stand the test of time.

A CLASSIC that will not die. I give it a 95.
November 8, 2017
At first glance, The Princess Bride would appear to be a typical fairytale with miracles, monsters, giants, swordplay and true love but it's so much more than that. A grandfather comes to visit his sick grandson and read him The Princess Bride, a story about Buttercup, a princess who falls in love with a farm boy, Westley, and what befalls her after his apparent death at the hands of the Dread Pirate Roberts. This is an incredibly charming film that openly mocks the fantasy genre whilst also playing into it with a nice mixture of comedy, romance and action. It's no wonder The Princess Bride has become a cult classic, it's full of satire, eccentric characters, brilliant one liners and iconic performances across the board. Robin Wright is good as Buttercup, who is usually the straight man in the comedic moments, Cary Elwes has a brilliantly dry wit as Westley, Wallace Shawn is wonderfully neurotic as Vizzini, Billy Crystal is hysterical as Miracle Max and Andre Rene Roussimoff is incredibly loveable and charming as Fezzik the giant. Mandy Patinkin adds a lot of drama and heart to the film as Inigo Montoya, a man in search of revenge for his murdered father, and has perhaps the most quotable line in the whole piece.
The cinematography is also excellent, with great lighting and camera work. The sets are wonderful, with a lot of scenes set in the countryside, real locations and well built sets. The props and costumes are also brilliantly detailed and well made. The soundtrack is excellent, really adding a lot to climactic moments and moment of humour and also encapsulating the feeling of fantasy and romance. The fight scenes are well choreographed and performed, particularly the sword fight between Inigo and Westley and are well integrated into the plot. There are only a few parts of the film that don't hold up so well. First is the scene with the ROUS, which is quite clearly someone in a costume and the rather strange way that Westley, Fezzic and Inigo get into the castle to save Buttercup. The biggest problem I have with this film however, is a scene where Westley threatens to hit Buttercup, even though he's pretending to be someone else, this seems very out of character and far too dark for what's supposed to be a romantic plot.
Overall though, this is a very enjoyable, funny film that stands the test of time. I will happily watch it over and over again as I wish.
½ October 23, 2017
The Princess Bride: The classic, cult following masterpiece. The Princess Bride not only is the perfect mix between fantasy storytelling but is timless and abosulte thanks catchy dialouge and a fun, but moving family fun story.
October 17, 2017
Good, creative, entertaining flic. The female lead is hilariously useless and helpless by today's standards, but I guess at the time it wasn't so bad. Predictable, sure, but solid entertainment thru-and-thru. 8.4 out of 10
October 15, 2017
A true classic funny and original. A movie for all ages and time.
September 22, 2017
This is the best movie of all time. OF ALL TIME. Anyone who says differently is selling something.

Every line is brilliantly funny, the cast is incredible, and I've never seen better chemistry...and I know chemistry--I spent the last few years building up an immunity to iocane powder.

Words can't do this movie justice. The only disappointing thing about it is that the cast members didn't invite me to their reunion. Don't they realize I'm their biggest fan??? Inconceivable! I guess I just need to get used to disappointment.

So what is it about? Fencing, fighting, torture, revenge, giants, monsters, chases, escapes, true love, miracles. Doesn't sound so bad, right? Just try and stay awake...because if you don't I'm gonna have to emulate the movie and say "Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."

I mean, you seem a decent fellow...I hate to kill you. So I need you to love this movie as much as I love it. After all, true love is the greatest thing in the world...except for a nice M.L.T.--a mutton, lettuce, and tomato sandwich, where the mutton is nice and lean and the tomato is ripe. They're so perky, I love that! And you've gotta have a little dessert with it...after all, the chocolate makes it go down easier.

Anyway, where was I? Oh yes: watch this movie. Don't give me excuses; just say "as you wish" and do it. And if you have guests over, offer more than popcorn: make sure you ask if anybody wants a peanut.
½ September 8, 2017
The most ordinary fairytale storyline transformed into a side-splitting and fascinating movie. The cast is fantastic, the dialogues are hilarious and the stakes are so much higher than they would normally be. It's only a fairytale, as we are reminded every time the film cuts to the grandfather reading it to his grandson, but this might as well be the best fairytale ever, both simple and subversive, both meat-and-potatoes and meta, and definitely made with love, care and brilliant inspiration.
September 7, 2017
What? You've never seen The Princess Bride? Inconceivable!
Page 1 of 1915