The Princess Bride Reviews

• Aug 16, 2019

The Princess Bride is a 1987 adventure-comedy directed by Rob Reiner. The film stars Cary Elwes as Westley, Robin Wright as Buttercup, Mandy Patinkin Inigo Montoya, and André the Giant as Fezzik. The story was creative and enjoyable, especially from how it was told, but if I had one problem it would be that I wish they focussed on the adventure aspect a little more then they did. The acting was strong and even at times whimsical, especially Mandy Patinkin's great portrayal of the character Inigo Montoya. The characters were fun and portrayed well, from Wallace Shawn's extremely entertaining character Vizzini to the persevering character of Inigo Montoya. The only two characters who I found to be a little annoying at times were Buttercup and the grandson, but luckily they didn't distract me from the film that much. The sets and costumes were very strong and detailed, especially with the look and design of the castle. The music was steady and filled its purpose, but I do wish that they focused on it a little more instead of just pushing it to the side. The comedy in my opinion was hands down the strongest aspect of the film, especially the scenes involving the main characters talking to the side characters. The film I also found to be really entertaining, and I hope to watch it again soon. Over all I give it a 8/10 "My name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die"

• Aug 13, 2019

A delightful romance fantasy tale! Director Rob Reiner's fantasy romance comedy The Princess Bride (1987) is a sweet product of its time. It takes Mark Knopfler's very 1980's style music and a quaint framing device of a grandfather reading a bedtime story to his sick grandson. William Goldman's story is a fun romance drama about true love with a ridiculous comedy style where nonsense happens because it's fun. Reiner's direction is fanciful and fun at all times. The cuts to Peter Falk's narration are neat as is the epic journey within The Princess Bride's brief 98 minute run-time. Peter Falk is awesome as the kindly grandfather reading to his bratty, yet eager grandson. Fred Savage plays the grandson with a willful ignorance many young boys have that slowly reveals him to be a thoughtful young man that yearns to be more emotionally open. His grandfather teaches a valuable lesson about love, appreciation, and adventure! Falk is one of The Princess Bride's greatest attributes as his portrayal is so gentle, witty, and adoring towards Savage that he endears himself to you immediately. I love Peter Falk as Grandpa in The Princess Bride. Cary Elwes is wonderful as the heroic Westley. His charm and charisma are dauntless as he effortlessly delivers hilarious dialogue and quirky insults. Robin Wright is lovely and loyal as Princess Buttercup. Her devotion to and chemistry with Elwes is excellent. They play well together. Mandy Patinkin is riveting as the sword master Inigo Montoya on the hunt for revenge after his father's murder. His fencing duel with Cary Elwes is one of the best in cinema history as is his climactic moment with his foil Christopher Guest's cruel Count Rugen. Their duel is fierce and directed beautifully by Rob Reiner in a serious dramatic way. Montoya is my favorite character in The Princess Bride as you are endeared by his quest and entertained by his compelling performance. I have to mention Montoya's criminal travelling companions. The lovable Andre the Giant is so quaint as the simple-minded and good-hearted Fezzik. It's cool watching The Princess Bride and seeing this hulking gentle giant have fun with his friends. Wallace Shawn is gut busting as the abusive and arrogant Vizzini. His challenge of the minds with Cary Elwes is perhaps the best writing in the film. I do not like Chris Sarandon as Prince Humperdinck. He's kind of generic and has less charisma and presence than the other brilliantly cast actors. At least Mel Smith gets a funny cameo as the sadistic Albino. On the other hand of Sarandon is the comedy Billy Crystal as Miracle Max. He gets such a memorable and ridiculous cameo that you cannot forget Crystal as the potion swindling Miracle Max in The Princess Bride. Overall, the cast of the film elevates the comedic to genuine dramatic moments like Montoya's redemption or Elwes' romance with Wright. At the same time, the comedic moments will keep you laughing even though there could be more jokes. In all, The Princess Bride isn't Rob Reiner's best direction, that would be Stand by Me, nor his best comedy, that would be This Is Spinal Tap; however, The Princess Bride is always a pleasure to watch. It continues to be a dreamy experience of enjoyable fantasy adventure, silly comedy situations, and sweet romantic encounters.

• Aug 12, 2019

Best film ever. Must see for absolutely everyone

Best film ever. Must see for absolutely everyone

• Bill
    Aug 11, 2019

Great classic movie.

Great classic movie.

• Aug 08, 2019

Funny movie. Rob Reiner's best to date.

Funny movie. Rob Reiner's best to date.

• Aug 08, 2019

My favorite movie of all time. Deftly navigates fantasy, romance, adventure ...

My favorite movie of all time. Deftly navigates fantasy, romance, adventure ...

• Chris
    Aug 06, 2019

Fun movie with a blast from the past all star cast!

Fun movie with a blast from the past all star cast!

• Jul 21, 2019

This might be the best comedy from 80s era. With a well written script and story as well as an interesting form of story telling, this show is a fantastic take on the "Fairy-Tale" genre and will always be remembered.

• Jul 18, 2019

One of my childhood favorites. Its not even nostalgia that makes this movie work for me. Its just really fun story of this fantasy world brings you back to your childhood imagination.

• Jul 15, 2019

Forgetting for a second the myriad memetic quotes, this is a story about True Love that stands the test of time.