Prisoners - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Prisoners Reviews

May 27, 2017
Dark and disturbing; Prisoners is an engrossing and thought-provoking film.
May 22, 2017
grueling to watch, but, good movie overall. Some parts left unfinished
May 13, 2017
Director, Denis Villeneuve (Enemy, Sicario, Arrival) has an amazing sense of direction, and imagination. Loved this movie, amazing work of art! Also, cinematographer, Roger Deakins, spectacular job for giving the film an eerie vibe. 5/5 stars!
May 9, 2017
Great plot, acting, visuals, ending, and overall a powerful emotional film.
May 4, 2017
Extremely intense! The movie deals with some moral issues and engages the viewer, but it is very predictable and some of the characters are irritating. (First and only viewing -3/18/2014)
½ April 30, 2017
Great performances all around with Jackman standing out.This film for is difficult to watch , not because it is bad.. Its exceptionally well crafted. Its difficult to watch because it is so hard hitting and unsettling for parents.
April 29, 2017
A brilliant story of loss and tragedy. With its amazing actors, plot, and mystery, it is truly a film that will live on as a great mystery story for all who experience it.
April 29, 2017
9.8/10
A thrilling ride from start to finish, Prisoners is a film that will have you on the edge of your seat the entire time. The film is extremely emotionally draining and dares to show the violence you don't want to see. Prisoners is one of the best movies of the year and has Oscar worthy performances by both Gyllenhaal and Jackman.
April 20, 2017
A powerhouse film with a devastating emotional impact, powerful acting, and a a story full of unexpected twists and turns.
½ April 15, 2017
WHAT I LIKED: In some moments, 'Prisoners' is one of the grittiest, most frightening psychological thrillers I've ever seen, as it hooks you and places you in one of the most desperate and difficult scenarios imaginable. What hooks you though is a whole combination of incredible performances (particularly from Hugh Jackman), great character-building and typically cold, sparse and nail-biting direction from Denis Villenueve, and amazingly moody cinematography from Roger Deakins.
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: As it unravels, you realise the plot and themes are actually rather convoluted and silly, and the fact you get so much breathing room to think about all that makes it quite a big problem.
VERDICT: A dark, scary thriller where the brilliant cast and direction can't quite overcome the weaker foundations.
½ March 25, 2017
I did not get bored at any point during this film. And that is an amazing feat considering it was way past bedtime when I popped it into the DVD player. I was engaged the entire length.
March 24, 2017
Outstanding. Outstanding.
March 21, 2017
a totally piece of jewerly, this is the best result that an police thriller could have, amazing story, beautiful scenes, breathtaking situations and the best cast that could have been founded. Strong performance from jake gyllenhaal and good management of script, with a lot of interrogants, prioners complies with everything we expected.
March 18, 2017
Fantastic, tense & brilliantly acted thriller.
March 17, 2017
Denis Villeneuve twists and turns you with this disturbing masterpiece centered on a complex plot line, blurry characters (whether or not who is good or bad with either positive or negative intentions), and a gloomy atmosphere all packed into a suspense-filled thriller similar to David Fincher's Se7en (1995) or Zodiac (2007). But Villeneuve's depressing mosaic is one hell of an emotional ride.
½ March 5, 2017
I'm not a fan of thrillers / suspense of this kind, but I do think that our own Denis Villeneuve had successfully delivered an excellent movie in this genre.
March 4, 2017
Great movie with excellent performances from each of the actors. I was on the edge of my seat the entire movie. kab
February 28, 2017
Its a dark psychological thriller, but it's also a quiet human drama with a lot of emotional complexity. Denis Villeneuve crafted one of the most perfectly directed and complex films I've ever seen. It's one of those rare movies where instead of just simply watching things happen the story is unfolding before you, and I believe much of it is due to the slew of incredible performances, absolutely flawless cinematography and the tone of dread and discomfort. An amazing work of art! One of my absolute favorite thrillers!
February 26, 2017
Although the script is sloppy, it manages to deliver a fairly painful parable about America.
½ February 26, 2017
Predictable and annoying. This movie was a waste of my time and will be a waste of yours. It is not worth 2 and a half hours of your day. Go watch something better. Too many pointless scenes, not enough story development. Guy tortures dude, old lady has kids. Whole movie summarized in 7 words. #dissapointment #petty