Prometheus - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Prometheus Reviews

½ April 30, 2017
Prometheus is the film you will need to see before the upcoming Alien: Covenant.

Prometheus is made as a prequel to the original Alien series. The crew, with 17 on board of the ship of Prometheus, arrived to a planet in year 2093 as their destination to find the connection to the ancient drawings of their discovery back at Earth.

Prometheus brings the good old fashion pace of scifi horror back with unknown creatures discovered and disposing some characters on the way to the end.
One flaw that I might feel prior to this storyline is the mind of David and what his focus was from the beginning when he took the species back to the ship and experimented it on one of the crew. But it might be explained in the Alien sequel to this. Noomi Rapace played her role very well, especially that surgery part where she had a baby. (It was no ordinary baby)
Prometheus has the science and the act altogether. Ridley Scott knows his ways around this franchise. This is worth sitting down for.

9/10
April 28, 2017
While it's easy to nitpick this film based on the near-perfection of the 1979 original, "Alien", "Prometheus" is a breath of fresh sci-fi air that does what it can to step outside the bounds of it's predecessor and brings Ridley Scott back to the genre he was born to play in. For "Alien" die-hards, fret not, there is still phallic imagery everywhere to remind you what universe you are in.
½ April 28, 2017
Ridley Scott is always exceptional at achieving visual spectacle, evoking a particular emotion, and in presenting questions of existential grandeur throughout his films, usually with a few flaws as well. Prometheus is an absolutely beautiful thing to watch (and hear - the soundtrack is utterly sublime), with a few exceptional performances. Furthermore, Scott again provides an excellent treatise on the philosophy and meaning behind some of the most basic and human of themes. Ultimately, however, all this becomes somewhat mired down in occasional moments of eye-roll inducing dialogue, and more so in confusing plot points and unanswered questions. A great deal of these are forgivable based on the grounds that they lay the ground work for a sequel, while other elements appear to have been written by amnesiatic writers, who completely abandon explaining the purpose of certain scenes.

Bottom Line: Don't get me wrong - I really loved this film. It's very much worth seeing - just expect to be as equally confused by some parts as you are enthralled by others. A great film, though greatly flawed.
April 27, 2017
We did not evolve from an alien Prometheus, we evolved from God in Jesus Christ name!
April 27, 2017
A haunting combination of sci-fi mystery meets some classic Ridley Scott gore - Prometheus works as both a suspenseful action blockbuster as well as keeps you guessing throughout.
April 27, 2017
This to me was an aggressive return to the franchise which took many risk by leaving alot of questions on the table. Most people were upset as for myself I absolutely love the ambiguity Ridley Scott added to the beloved franchise. As I expected that this was a prequel and was going to have alot of head scratching moments that I honestly enjoyed because the film calls for discussion. The mystery of the film has lead to many arguments and online forums discussing this film which is brilliant because the more people talk about it, the more likely they are to demand a follow-up. Prometheus is one of my all time favorite films because it is not only a prequel to alien but also a film about life and the what if factor involving people in an era where interstellar travel is possible who find definitive evidence that life exist outside our planet with traces leading to our creators. With so many elements in this movie Ridley has found away to broaden the horrizons of a franchise which started as an unexplained phenomenon in the 1979 film.
½ April 25, 2017
Loosely linked to the Alien universe and it shows. Bringing back the horror/adventure elements that made the Alien franchise great, to begin with. The team of the Prometheus travels space to answer a question of who brought humanity into existence. Our curiosity is what keeps us in trouble as a society. This is the theme of the film. Noomi Rapace and Michael Fassbender are the perfect pairing to bring the Alien franchise back to the forefront. The visuals are breathtaking. Giving us the birth of the Xenomorph is the answer to the questions that audiences have been asking since Alien. "Where did this beast come from?" This is the perfect experience to have in the theater or in a large scale home theater. The return of Ridley Scott to the baby that he brought into the world is the shot in the arm that this franchise needed.
April 22, 2017
The most expensive table read I've ever watched.
½ April 21, 2017
WHAT I LIKED: 'Prometheus' is without doubt the most ambitious film in the Alien trilogy, as it properly delves into some very interesting themes and plants numrous seeds whilst advancing hugely in visual design too. Yes it really feels like Ridley Scott put all his eggs in one basket and forced them to hatch here, and the result is a film that rather boggles the mind, and creates source for much admiration and enjoyment.
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: However, cramming all that stuff into a two hour film often makes it feel rather messy and fast, and the thing consequently gets less time for character development or tension-building which means it drops some of the human edge that made the originals so appealing.
VERDICT: An admirably ambitious and vastly spectacular film that just does a little too much a little too quickly.
½ April 16, 2017
Rating: 85%
Though it strays from its franchise's roots, Prometheus still benefits from a thought-provoking script, outstanding visuals, and great acting,
½ April 9, 2017
Interesting, but ultimately the character development proves too thin and the resolution not satisfying enough to carry the grand vision of the film. David proves to be the most fascinating character.
April 5, 2017
Despite it's subtle, intelligent themes, the Alien franchise sports a fanbase largely immune to artistic complexity. Ignore the fanboys attempting to write like real film critics.

'Prometheus' incorporates both the thrilling opacity of 'Alien' and the seminal art of H.R. Giger, the designer of the original xenomorph.

Just like 'Alien,' it is a pulpy exploration of SciFi's thriller roots, rather than a cheap horror flick. The plot is thin, yet disturbing. Truly shocking elements of body horror emerge from the plodding exploration of an alien world.

By the film's sudden and bizarre climax, all we desire is an answer-laden sequel.
April 4, 2017
Great prequel to a great film. (Alien)
½ April 4, 2017
Not as good as I expected -___________-
April 4, 2017
An amazing premise that is well-executed. Asks some really, really big questions and leaves you starving for the answers. I am thoroughly excited for the next installment.
½ March 28, 2017
Prometheus may not represent the alien movie we expected but the layers it offers, alongside typically strong direction, makes this worth the watch.
Grade: B-
March 26, 2017
Amazing addition to the world of Ridley Scott!
½ March 26, 2017
Alien was classic horror, Prometheus is Scientologist propaganda.
March 22, 2017
Such beautiful visuals, and it had allot of potential, but due to a sloppy story and script, it just leaves you really disappointed!
March 21, 2017
Deep space crew looks to find the beginnings if life but it wasn't what they thought they would find. Looks like a prequel to "Aliens".