Prometheus - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Prometheus Reviews

½ August 18, 2017
Prometheus takes you on a fun thrill ride while asking some of the toughest questions which makes it an original sci fi movie, even if it doesn't answer all those questions.
½ August 16, 2017
With gorgeous cinematography and set design that are both rich in detail, 'Prometheus' is visually stunning with a fascinating premise that sets out to provide an origin story for the entire Alien franchise and, at the same time, answer one of humanity's most important questions. Unfortunately, although it does provide some insight and has a number of interesting little ideas that contribute to the backstory as a whole, it doesn't actually answer most of the big questions it poses, with what little it does have to say being said within, perhaps, 40 mins or so. At just over two hours, this leaves us with a large blank space to fill, and in the absence of necessary tension, compelling characters (bar Michael Fassbender's android) or much for them to do, it becomes a bit tedious. All in all, it is beautiful to look at, but an overlong and largely irrelevant endeavour.
August 14, 2017
This should never have been considered to be part of a direct prequel to the original "Alien" saga. It would have been fun as an original story within the same universe, as was intended to be realized since the beginning.
August 7, 2017
Prometheus is an intriguing attempt to explore the purpose of life and mankind's place within the universe. Though flawed in execution, Prometheus explores these ideas with verse and vision: a film that has only improved over the years as one attempts to discern its more enigmatic elements.
½ August 3, 2017
One of the strengths of the first Alien was the contrast between the human and the inhuman, Prometheus returns to these themes and adds another layer by making the inhuman not only in found in the aliens and robots. The problem is whilst the characters in its predecessor were believable because they tended to make the decisions any rational person, would at least until they were scared out of their wits, here they are often inhumanly stupid from the beginning. This destroys the power of the contrast as well as being obviously convenient to move the plot along, but its worst offense is that it constantly takes you out of the action. That's not to say there's not good stuff here, Ridley Scott still knows how to construct strong horror scenes, there are a couple of great performances and it's beautifully shot and creatively designed. The film is pretty successful as a prequel to the original film while leaving enough ambiguity not to ruin it, avoiding the temptation of other prequels to over-explain everything, a difficult balance to get. It should also be commended for sticking with series tradition and once again trying something different; Prometheus has a more philosophical bent than what came before and is at its best when asking big questions. The fact that it doesn't always provide answers can be frustrating, but it creates discussion and rewards multiple viewings. It's not so good on the science front, it clearly admires the discipline and it's refreshing to have scientist characters who aren't the usual Hollywood stereotype, but it's also scientifically illiterate and completely mistreats it. Overall Prometheus makes an admirable effort but by focusing on the big picture and not paying attention to the little details, its reach exceeds its grasp.
July 27, 2017
Smart, well directed, and great mix of cgi and practical effects!! Leaves things to be desired in terms of answer HOWEVER this is a fantastic sci-fi film!! I was hooked for the entire runtime!
½ July 27, 2017
This movie was really bad. Like REALLY. Seriously shocking how actually bad it actually is. NOT GOOD! I am a movie master and I can say for sure that this one is bad.
½ July 24, 2017
When a movie trys too hard to be more than what it is, sometimes it is bad when it actually succeads. It's not a bad, it just seemed there was too much going on for one movie.
½ July 24, 2017
The visuals are awesome and there is non-stop action. Upon reflection, though, this is a really awful movie. In "Alien", the alien was terrifying precisely because it made sense. In this "reboot", all that is flushed for a creature that makes no sense at all; it evidently has about a dozen stages to its reproductive cycle, and several of them are non-sequential. Worse, a storyline about evolution writ interstellar is twisted into a perverted creation story. Frankly, I recommend one and all skip this movie.
½ July 23, 2017
The premise is great, the visual work is stunning. Too bad it quickly transforms in an "Alien" remake. Mostly uninteresting.
½ July 21, 2017
A great existential backstory to the Alien world and their creators, the Engineers. Does a fantastic job setting the stage for the sequel, Alien: Covenant.
July 19, 2017
Not bad alien type movie from director Ridley Scott starring the likes of micheal fassbender and Charlize Theron. Me personally, I hate pretty much every alien movie but this movie is still pretty bad but it's not as boring as the originals, it's pretty much a remaster of the original and a little scarier and a whole lot more action. Prometheus is a the original alien if it were set in today's times.
½ July 19, 2017
"Prometheus" boasts majestic visuals and atmospheric direction from Ridley Scott himself, elements elevating it to compelling viewing. It being a prequel-ish film to "Alien" means it could have been a shitty, bang-for-the-buck origin story but in truth it's more concerned with mankind's origin and it's this difference in scope that makes the franchise's revitalization so intriguing: the viewer feels like they know next to nothing about this universe and Scott knows how to make us watch in awe.
½ July 14, 2017
Not everyone will like this movie, but I enjoyed it because of its interesting plot, good acting, impressive visual effects, and creepy atmosphere.
½ July 12, 2017
It was a genius idea to make a prequel to the great Alien franchise, and the result is a visualy stunning movie with a talented cast and the same touch of sci-fi than the Alien films. While it may not be as much of a horror movie than Alien, it answers some interesting questions on the origins of those creatures, but also raises some other unanswered questions, although that may be a flaw. But otherwise, Prometheus is another accomplishment from legendary director Ridley Scott. Recommended !!
½ July 11, 2017
Bad prequel to a great film. (Alien)
July 10, 2017
When I heard Ridley Scott was doing a science fiction movie again I got stoked. I can see why many think this is a prequel to a prequel for the Alien movies. Special effects are top notch! It is part suspense and part horror, with some serious jaw dropping gross out moments. I found myself squirming at times on the couch. Many parts in this movie felt recycled from Alien, when you see it you will know what i mean. Noomi is stellar in this flick and plays a strong Ripley like character in Shaw. Overall I found myself thinking this movie has moments but is still lacking. Definitely has an ending that leaves room for a sequel.
½ July 3, 2017
What an absolutely incredible movie. The only down point is a bit of a slow start, but this film has it all. Quality acting, an excellent story and even better, some outstanding effects. It's awesome to see something I grew up with being brought back to the big screen with a prequel worth making. I thoroughly enjoyed it, as it brings everything; the violence and hard hitting story we all know and love. It's also "up there" with Aliens which is also engaging.
½ June 29, 2017
Dispite a few mistakes i personly consider this a sci fi EPIC!
"A" 95%
June 29, 2017
Horrible. Its all that i like to say about this movie, and i love talking about movies but this is not worthy