Prometheus - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Prometheus Reviews

September 17, 2016
ridley scott. enough said.
September 16, 2016
At first this film might feel slightly underwhelming, but at a deeper look, Prometheus is a science fiction masterpiece.
September 14, 2016
Talk about disappointing...the trailer is way better than the actual movie.
September 12, 2016
Needed more improvement and more work
½ September 9, 2016
Any fan of Scott's 1979 venture, Alien, will no doubt have appreciated the return of the director's influence in in this sci-fi horror universe. With stunning visual effects, and great connections to the previous films yet still leaving viewers with lots of tangible questions to be answered, the film served its purpose as a prequel to the franchise including well rounded drama, action and a dusting of horror. Rapace and Fassbender showcased their talent in their respective character roles, a testimony to the brilliant casting choices into this movie. With some scientific questions unanswerable, and some plots difficult to digest upon first viewing, it does takes a captive audience to appreciate Scott's work; in many ways it's a solid revitalisation of the creatures and universe that Alien fans all around the world want to see.
August 19, 2016
Visually stunning, but regrettably derivative and predictable. Logic is sacrificed to justify nonsensical plot events and character actions. Genuinely and deeply disappointing.
½ August 17, 2016
Fassbender and Pearce's most interesting moments are confined to viral ads, Marshall-Green acts a clichà (C) machine, Elba is completely wasted, and Rapace is reduced to a one-dimensional symbol. For all the debate on plot-holes and unanswered questions, Prometheus's real downfall proves to be a woeful lack of relatable characters with which to situate its grand visuals and philosophical ponderings.
August 14, 2016
I've seen this movie three times and with every new viewing I get a better understanding of the Alien saga. This movie, at times, is hard to follow, but I enjoy it.
August 13, 2016
Prometheus is visually stunning and has great acting. Just a little too many plot holes for me. But still good enough for the average person to sit down and be entertained.
August 11, 2016
Great direction, some good performances, wonderful sets, etc. but it still felt unfinished with a lot of things unresolved. Hopefully, they can do a sequel or the longer cut on blu-ray will clear things up.
½ August 8, 2016
"There is nothing in the desert and no man needs nothing"

Wow.

I mean...wow

Ridley Scott's Prometheus is a Shakespearean tragedy for the age of information. This sci-fi tale is woven from the same velvet of the Alien series, but unlike those films we get some depth into the basis of the universe. This movie does not replicate the originals, but rather transforms them into something beautiful yet absolutely ghastly.

So the good? Michael Fassbender plays a British AI called David. I don't know what it is about that actor but he seems to nail every role he's in, but he demolishes this role. A super effort. Truly incredible subtlety and unnoticeable evil in his character that you don't pick up until the third act. The film flies by with terrific pace, it is a space documentary that has gone horribly wrong. The narrative here is taken on the assumption that there is no meaning to looking for answers, and that ashes turn to ashes and dust...you guessed it...turns to dust. The sheer evil and disgusting aura from the crew on the Prometheus sent a shiver down my spine. I'm not kidding about. I gagged at one point during this film not entirely from visual gore, but from the sense of injustice and wrong that this film portrays and how meaningless and tiny we are as a race. A virus..on a pin-head....in a truckload of millions of other infected needles. I wanted to vomit.

What isn't too good? Well...there aren't any real characters here but I guess that it was made to convey the entire message. However, you didn't need to replace chunks of effort in some gloriously sickening dialogue with forced and badly acted sections of dialogue. Especially from Charlize Theron which was disappointing because I know she is an amazing actress. In continuation to this, I wish we got some more exploration into the Human/AI bond that would thicken the overall theme of uselessness in a galaxy of not caring and pretending to. That's about it for flaws really. A couple of plot errors, but they're so small and forgiveable, you'll hardly notice them.

Prometheus is without a doubt one of the most underrated films, ever. It is technological and vile poetry streaked with fluid and tissue that puppeteers the audience into a flu-like submission. Truly great film, better than Alien. There I said it.

A

92/100
August 7, 2016
Deep space crew looks to find the beginnings if life but it wasn't what they thought they would find. Looks like a prequel to "Aliens".
½ August 2, 2016
I couldn't watch more than half of it because I couldn't obtain any emotional connection with any of the characters. The graphics were great but the spirit seemed to be missing. Aliens, on the other hand, was one of the best sci-fi / horror films I've ever seen in my lifetime.
July 31, 2016
Prometheus pode não cumprir a missão de ser uma boa prequel de Alien deixando algumas perguntas sem resposta, mas mesmo assim o filme tem uma atmosfera de puro suspense,uma boa direção e um bom roteiro e efeitos visuais complementado com a sensacional atuação de Michael Fassbender.
½ July 31, 2016
A thoughtful prequel to the Alien series, with more links than many give it credit for and some key performances that make it well worth the watch.
July 31, 2016
Visually astounding, though hard to believe at times. I think it's time for an Alien marathon...
July 27, 2016
***
Ridley Scott returns to the world he created with Prometheus, a worthy prequel to his original movie, with fantastic CGI, good performances, and some truly horrific scenes that manage to capture what he did back in 1979.
½ July 25, 2016
When i saw this movie the beginning tells me it sucks already
How often do i have to review movies and dislike some with high mark?
How Long do i have to sit through this movie, I want my 2 hour back. Give Me Back My 2 Hour! Prometheus is indeed flawed.
Normally Short movies are shit.
Normally Science fiction movies do well when it comes to prequels.
Or I can't stand an effort of anything like this but The movie was tragic and not well direction of camera movement.
I can say whatever i want to say because this movie is not trusted.
DO NOT TRUST THE TOMATO METER!
Now I really hate these Critics!
This had no story, awful plot, no acting, bad cgi and everything.
This is actually one of the worst science fiction movies i ever seen in my life.
Skyline is the movie i watched after this, That's Slightly Worse because of all those Bad Plotholes. This was a prequel bummer
And The movie almost killed 50 People.

Score: 1.5/10
July 25, 2016
Wait is David a secret asshole? Is he an expert on things that have never ever happened?
July 24, 2016
I'm starving for new Sci-Fi...so it was was time to watch this great Ridley Scott film again. Are you ready to meet your maker? You could really see the influence of Swiss surrealist painter H.R. Geiger in this film...which is credited. Can't wait to see the sequel to this!