Punch-Drunk Love - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Punch-Drunk Love Reviews

½ June 19, 2017
A different take on romantic movies that works well!
June 6, 2017
Featuring Adam Sandler giving one of his best performance playing Barry who is vulnerable, subjugated, lonely and how he finds love. Turns out to be a wonderful romantic as well as a dramatic movie by Writer/Director Paul Thomas Anderson.
½ May 14, 2017
Playing socially inept characters is nothing new for Adam Sandler, but this is different. Punch-Drunk Love is anti-Happy Gilmore, a dissection of the image Sandler has made for himself. It's like looking through a peephole into an alternate universe where the Sandler archetype is a real person whose real problems aren't so easily masked under comedy. Sandler's Barry Egan, truly Sandler's finest work as an actor, is prone to violent outbursts, or sudden breakdowns into tears, not necessarily unexpectedly considering the stress from constant beratement from seven siblings or that stemming from his workplace. Paul Thomas Anderson nails the anxiety Egan feels, with scenes constantly jumping back and forth between verbal conversations, phone calls, and characters drifting in and out of the scene, all backed by Jon Brion's percussion heavy score which only adds to the overwhelming atmosphere.

It certainly nails the loneliness and anxious mood of Egan's personality and story, but this is very much a romance dramedy, and Anderson tackles that side of the story much more gently. This comes as quite a 180 for Anderson, following up the epic Magnolia with a 90 minute film of this genre. The romance angle is handled beautifully, technically so (with Robert Elswit's making wonderful use of color and light), but mostly narratively. Just like Egan finds a used harmonium thrust into his life, he also finds love thrust into his life as well, in the form of Emily Watson's Lena. It's a delicate relationship, but one that finds Egan's social inteptitude slowly diminishing as it blossoms. It's easy to view the relationship solely from Egan's perspective, but it's worth noting just how important Lena is as a character in this relationship. What could be interpreted as a typical manic pixie dream girl type actually holds much more under the surface: Lena may present herself a bit better than Barry, but the two certainly aren't dissimilar in their approaches to interpersonal relationships.
March 24, 2017
Hilarious movie. Probably the best acting from Adam Sandler I've ever seen. And I'm not kidding. I mean have you seen his movies?
March 12, 2017
Only one of three movies Adam Sandler has made I enjoy. Sometimes PT Anderson can get a bit too gimicky with some of the scenes. But still enjoyed it.
February 24, 2017
Interesting and weird for a romantic comedy movie.
February 6, 2017
Quirky, weird and a happy ending. Would have like more Phillip Seymour Hoffman
February 1, 2017
The two main contributors are out of their element here, Sandler is not in his usual genre and Anderson is working on a forced time limit of around an hour and a half of film. While the film makes some jumps it still holds up and is a welcome variation on both of their careers. It is movies like this that make me hold out hope for Sandler.
½ January 29, 2017
"I sometimes cry a lot....for no reason."?

This is the Adam Sandler I'd like to see more of. He's performance was both funny and heart-breaking at the same time. But I couldn't bring myself to watch another Sandler film after this. He's gotten so lazy and doesn't bother staring in theses type of movies anymore. This film perfectly demonstrates that he's capable of more than what he's famous for. You can see the boiling rage inside of Sandler character and tries to contain it. He acts nice around other people and finds joy in the strangest way.

There's nothing else quite like it. The lighting, camera movements, framing, timing, and EXTREME attention to detail bring this film to a whole other level. Paul Thomas Anderson is lighting in the bottle.

Oh and Philip Seymour Hoffman stole the show with his "SHUT UP!".
½ January 3, 2017
Sandler is weird and repress here, outstanding acting, making this fucking unpleasant to watch, on his dime. The sudden quick rage and lose of control, and the bothering family or the haywired badasses. Its a good comedy thats keeps you on the edge of sanity.
December 25, 2016
Paul Thomas Anderson takes no prisoners: you either cheer his idiosyncratic movies, each so different from the other, or they leave you cold. I'm very much in the former camp and Punch-Drunk Love hugely rewards the viewer who accepts the ride. David Lynch, Wes Anderson, Spike Jonze etc all come to mind. For the first ten minutes it's hard to know what's going on, but stick with it. It's darkly funny, charming, shocking and very well acted by everyone. Singular and extraordinary, and with another fabulously eclectic soundtrack showcasing Hawaiian love songs and Shelley Duvall.
December 20, 2016
Adam Sandler shows, much to our utmost surprise, that he can act when he wants and that he was the perfect choice for Anderson's take on a romantic comedy, a sweet, darkly humorous and amazingly well-directed film that is miles above most romcoms that Hollywood produces.
December 9, 2016
- I have now seen this a few time and I think it gets better with each viewing. It is certainly not your regular rom-com. I live the cinematography, and both Adam Sandler and Emily Watson are excellent in this. Definitely worth a watch but expect something different from Sandler.

- Wanted to watch this again after recently seeing "Boogie Nights" and "Magnolia", it's not on the level of those films..yet is still quite strong and entertaining.

I think Anderson works well with multiple storylines, but here he just focuses on Sandler, but is able to draw an excellent performance from him as a man ready to explode.

Anderson has a really deistinct visual style in all his films that really sets them apart, I always find his films interesting to watch, even just from a visual standpoint.

This one is worth checking out.
December 8, 2016
I was absolutely blown away by this movie it was perfect all the way through, and Adam Sandler is phenomenal in this movie and that's saying a lot, WATCH THIS MOVIE NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
½ December 6, 2016
Adam Sandler does a good job in this well-done story.
½ November 15, 2016
Just weird? The best parts of the movie is the jarring soundtrack, the explosive anger scenes and the general sense of menace throughout. I didn't get the sense Adam Sandler was acting as much as he was working out some anger... Phillip Seymour Hoffman on the other hand crushed it.
I sort of took this as more of an inside look at the sort of sensory overload people with aspergers experience. If there was actual symbolism I don't know if I even want to understand it.
November 3, 2016
one of the worst movies i've ever seen. terrible in every way. completely useless. not one redeeming quality. garbo gargle garbo

SPOILERS

I watched a video analyzing the movie and its parallels to the story of Superman. That is interesting and it was done in a very clever and subtle way. i give the director/writer props on that creativity. but that does not change the fact that this movie was horrible and unwatchable. i will give it a one instead of half because of that. (1 viewing)
November 3, 2016
I am not a rabid Adam Sandler fart,pee pee joke lover? But this movie has breakaway moments that mimic the ANGER I felt just before they strapped on the STRAIGHTJACKET and Involuntary Commitment to the mental institution for 3 months of readjustment therapy!!!
½ October 21, 2016
Punch-Drunk Love might just be the most artistic rom-com to ever come out, and it's fascinating, hilarious, and just plain weird.
½ October 15, 2016
Punch-Drunk Love finds Adam Sandler in perhaps his most mature and thoughtful performance to date.