Punch-Drunk Love - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Punch-Drunk Love Reviews

½ January 4, 2018
What a strange movie this is. It's one of those movies that perfectly blends comedy and drama - think Wes Anderson pre Fantastic Mr. Fox - into a concoction of complete oddity and eccentricity. The camera work is some of the best I've ever seen, and a lot of the wackiest scenes work as well as they do almost entirely due to what the camera is doing. It's truly masterful. Add to that good performances all around, a really entertaining plot, and a surprisingly cute romance, and you're left with quite a visionary and unique film. I highly enjoyed.
½ December 25, 2017
M-F-O

8.4

[Paul Thomas Anderson]
November 18, 2017
Only one thing, Adam Sandlers Best Performance.
½ November 16, 2017
I really loved this movie. Heart-warming, frustrating, anxiety-inducing, exhilarating, inspiring, and just all-around excellent. Can't recommend it enough.
November 5, 2017
Adam Sandler was born to play this role! Quirky and unpredictable. You will find yourself cheering quietly for Sandler and will be satisfied with a fun story.
½ September 17, 2017
I read in the reviews that this was a weird movie and that particular comment did not disappoint. It was weird and quirky. But I liked it! I've never really been a big Adam Sandler fan but for whatever reason, this particular character he was portraying, he absolutely nailed it. It's seriously is a mix of weird and quirky and interesting music and it seems like the audio is very important because it's like a symphony of emotion of things going on in his head. There's also the cute little romance. One of my favorite scenes is when he was trying to go through the maze of apartments and run back up the stairs to see his girl one more time. Hilarious. This is definitely a good movie for anyone who struggles with pressure or stress in your head or a lot of things happening at once and becoming overwhelming.
September 11, 2017
It is in my all time top 10 movies...tremendous achievement for Paul Thomas Anderson and Adam Sandler. Really Big in Europe but not here.Don't understand why the critics didn't get this movie. In 20 years it will be considered a classic. I got goosebumps in the scene where he does a soft shoe in the middle of a grocery store.
August 27, 2017
A very strange start that unfolds into an interesting story involving love, seclusion, crappy siblings, anger management, and a coupon scheme to travel. I wasn't really into it from the beginning, but it got better as it went along.
July 17, 2017
A distinct and touching love story. PTA usually comes up with unique ways of telling stories, this one is more of a basic romance but Punch Drunk Love is a great film. and this is my favorite Sandler's performance. Its neat that it takes some Sandler tropes in some of his other rom-coms and does a very different take on it.
July 4, 2017
Adam Sandler gives a soulful and comedic performance showcasing the struggles of a tortured and lonely man who fears people and himself. Sandler feels as though he is constantly at a breaking point and is captivating to watch. Much of this due to the direction. Director Paul Thomas Anderson keeps the momentum going with long takes and great transitions. Every shot has purpose and feels perfectly placed. The score of the film also perfectly encapsulates the themes of the movie. Punch-Drunk Love is a great rom-com that shows how true strength comes from ourselves and those we choose to love.
½ June 19, 2017
A different take on romantic movies that works well!
June 6, 2017
Featuring Adam Sandler giving one of his best performance playing Barry who is vulnerable, subjugated, lonely and how he finds love. Turns out to be a wonderful romantic as well as a dramatic movie by Writer/Director Paul Thomas Anderson.
½ May 14, 2017
Playing socially inept characters is nothing new for Adam Sandler, but this is different. Punch-Drunk Love is anti-Happy Gilmore, a dissection of the image Sandler has made for himself. It's like looking through a peephole into an alternate universe where the Sandler archetype is a real person whose real problems aren't so easily masked under comedy. Sandler's Barry Egan, truly Sandler's finest work as an actor, is prone to violent outbursts, or sudden breakdowns into tears, not necessarily unexpectedly considering the stress from constant beratement from seven siblings or that stemming from his workplace. Paul Thomas Anderson nails the anxiety Egan feels, with scenes constantly jumping back and forth between verbal conversations, phone calls, and characters drifting in and out of the scene, all backed by Jon Brion's percussion heavy score which only adds to the overwhelming atmosphere.

It certainly nails the loneliness and anxious mood of Egan's personality and story, but this is very much a romance dramedy, and Anderson tackles that side of the story much more gently. This comes as quite a 180 for Anderson, following up the epic Magnolia with a 90 minute film of this genre. The romance angle is handled beautifully, technically so (with Robert Elswit's making wonderful use of color and light), but mostly narratively. Just like Egan finds a used harmonium thrust into his life, he also finds love thrust into his life as well, in the form of Emily Watson's Lena. It's a delicate relationship, but one that finds Egan's social inteptitude slowly diminishing as it blossoms. It's easy to view the relationship solely from Egan's perspective, but it's worth noting just how important Lena is as a character in this relationship. What could be interpreted as a typical manic pixie dream girl type actually holds much more under the surface: Lena may present herself a bit better than Barry, but the two certainly aren't dissimilar in their approaches to interpersonal relationships.
March 24, 2017
Hilarious movie. Probably the best acting from Adam Sandler I've ever seen. And I'm not kidding. I mean have you seen his movies?
March 12, 2017
Only one of three movies Adam Sandler has made I enjoy. Sometimes PT Anderson can get a bit too gimicky with some of the scenes. But still enjoyed it.
February 24, 2017
Interesting and weird for a romantic comedy movie.
February 6, 2017
Quirky, weird and a happy ending. Would have like more Phillip Seymour Hoffman
February 1, 2017
The two main contributors are out of their element here, Sandler is not in his usual genre and Anderson is working on a forced time limit of around an hour and a half of film. While the film makes some jumps it still holds up and is a welcome variation on both of their careers. It is movies like this that make me hold out hope for Sandler.
½ January 29, 2017
"I sometimes cry a lot....for no reason."?

This is the Adam Sandler I'd like to see more of. He's performance was both funny and heart-breaking at the same time. But I couldn't bring myself to watch another Sandler film after this. He's gotten so lazy and doesn't bother staring in theses type of movies anymore. This film perfectly demonstrates that he's capable of more than what he's famous for. You can see the boiling rage inside of Sandler character and tries to contain it. He acts nice around other people and finds joy in the strangest way.

There's nothing else quite like it. The lighting, camera movements, framing, timing, and EXTREME attention to detail bring this film to a whole other level. Paul Thomas Anderson is lighting in the bottle.

Oh and Philip Seymour Hoffman stole the show with his "SHUT UP!".
½ January 3, 2017
Sandler is weird and repress here, outstanding acting, making this fucking unpleasant to watch, on his dime. The sudden quick rage and lose of control, and the bothering family or the haywired badasses. Its a good comedy thats keeps you on the edge of sanity.