Punch-Drunk Love - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Punch-Drunk Love Reviews

April 22, 2018
so here we go..

Punch-Drunk Love

The feature focuses on creating various high pitched dramatic sequences that mesmerizes the audience with a smart and funny script with sketchy characters. Paul Thomas Anderson; the writer-director, brings out this eerie world from his magic hat and projects his first rom-com on his own metaphorical way. Adam Sandler is amazing and hilarious in his role and is supported by a great cast like Emily Watson and Luis Guzman. Punch-Drunk Love is not your typical rom-com as it goes into dark places where no other such genre feature would do and still amuses you in its way.
April 19, 2018
(4 out of 4) I won't lie, this may be my favorite romantic comedy. Punch-Drunk Love centers around a emotionally abused man, played by Adam Sandler, who undergoes a variety of unusual circumstances. Some of the events bring him joy such as encountering a nice woman whom he falls in love with, and he also finds a incredible loophole in the fine print of a promotional deal which involve collecting flyer miles by buying pudding. Much of his life though centers around being tormented by his seven sisters who are some of the most realistically diabolical human beings I've ever seen. There is also a plot line involving people that work for a "particular" phone line that set out to ruin his life and take advantage of him. It all comes down to Sandler working through his circumstances. While I can't consider myself a fan of Sandler's more mainstream work, those who have no awareness of some of his independent filmography should really give this a chance. You truly feel for his character. He has underwent many cruel circumstances in his life that have severely damaged him on a deep level, and he's having a hard time with coping. He is a deeply lonely man. This film was written and directed by P.T. Anderson who is among the most accomplished auteurs on the film scene today, and he gives Sandler a chance to really shine and sink into depths that showcase his great acting capabilities. Really, all for the performances are top-notch and should be respected. The score by Jon Brion is also noteworthy. One detail I enjoyed was when some of the romantic score would play, it would be timed specifically to a perfect moment in the film to play it with. What I mean is when the music got to the big swooning parts, it would correlate with a touching image, which resulted in a variety of moving scenes. The cinematography should also be mentioned. In many of the scenes, you would see colorful lens flares on the screen which would..... well I won't mention what it means, but it's all there intentionally and it works.
While there are details and moments that are displayed on screen that I can't make sense of, some of the strange moments that occur are presented in a confident way that keeps you from feeling turned off. When something would come up that wouldn't make since, my rationale would be "I don't know what this means, but i feel it means something". This is a remarkable achievement.

PS: If you check this out, I recommend checking out the Superman theory for this film.
½ April 11, 2018
I thought I was watching a Coen brothers movie. Very funny.
April 5, 2018
Punch-Drunk Love is the closest one can get in a film to the surreal, random insanity that is everyday life in modern America. This film was under-appreciated when released, and will eventually be counted as a cult-classic.
March 29, 2018
My favorite Paul Thomas Anderson film easily. Weird and beautiful at the same time. Also this movie has awesome music, watch it with surround sound.
March 12, 2018
My favorite Adam Sandler movie, I wish he would make more movies like this. He is really great in this type of role.
½ February 25, 2018
Pretty good drama Adam Sandler movie.
February 19, 2018
Never thought I'd say this but Adam Sandler saved this film
February 14, 2018
****
This is one of those films that makes you smile. Paul Thomas Anderson's romantic comedy 'Punch-Drunk Love' is about as sweet as you get, following a lonely guy who finally finds someone he connects with. Of course, in true Anderson fashion, there's also a subplot involving some angry con-artists who want his money, and plenty of odd-ball plot points along the way. It's with films like this, along with 'Magnolia' and 'Boogie Nights', that I feel Anderson truly shines. Fast-paced, heartfelt dramas and comedies dominated his early career, and he does them masterfully. His later work has become much more serious and sombre which, whilst many of them are still very good, some would even say masterpieces, they never grab me emotionally quite like his earlier work. Adam Sandler and Emily Watson both do great work here, and the film is packed full of long takes and exciting direction - another thing seemingly lost from Anderson's recent work. It does wrap up rather quickly and there's the sense that some plot points could have been better executed, but that doesn't stop it from being a truly engaging and heartfelt comedy.
½ February 11, 2018
Quirky, original, fun to see Adam not do goofy comedy
January 29, 2018
Non posso certo affermare di conoscere a fondo la personalità di Paul Thomas Anderson, visto che ho appena iniziato a dedicare il mio tempo alla sua filmografia, ma devo dire che come primo film della lista sono rimasto particolarmente colpito. Si tratta di un'opera strana, grottesca, ai limiti della follia. Il personaggio protagonista è contraddittorio e fa quasi tenerezza per i suoi modi goffi e socialmente inusuali con cui si approccia al mondo esterno. Non sono ancora convinto della scelta di Adam Sandler, che comunque svolge un buon lavoro. Quello che mi ha colpito di più è stata sicuramente la regia e la fotografia. I movimenti di camera moderni e freschi aggiungono al film un tocco nuovo e coinvolgente, creando inquadrature in movimento che parlano da sole. L'ottima illuminazione e fotografia generale rendono il film particolarissimo anche sotto l'aspetto visivo con camera fissa. Ritengo che la storia e la narrazione siano la parte più debole della pellicola, sorretta soltanto dall'interessante protagonista che però non riesce a trascinarsi risvolti narrativi poco coinvolgenti e piuttosto insipidi. Nel complesso un'esperienza intensa e particolare che mi incuriosisce ancora di più nell'esplorazione della filmografia di questo acclamato regista.
½ January 4, 2018
What a strange movie this is. It's one of those movies that perfectly blends comedy and drama - think Wes Anderson pre Fantastic Mr. Fox - into a concoction of complete oddity and eccentricity. The camera work is some of the best I've ever seen, and a lot of the wackiest scenes work as well as they do almost entirely due to what the camera is doing. It's truly masterful. Add to that good performances all around, a really entertaining plot, and a surprisingly cute romance, and you're left with quite a visionary and unique film. I highly enjoyed.
½ December 25, 2017
M-F-O

8.4

[Paul Thomas Anderson]
November 18, 2017
Only one thing, Adam Sandlers Best Performance.
½ November 16, 2017
I really loved this movie. Heart-warming, frustrating, anxiety-inducing, exhilarating, inspiring, and just all-around excellent. Can't recommend it enough.
November 5, 2017
Adam Sandler was born to play this role! Quirky and unpredictable. You will find yourself cheering quietly for Sandler and will be satisfied with a fun story.
½ September 17, 2017
I read in the reviews that this was a weird movie and that particular comment did not disappoint. It was weird and quirky. But I liked it! I've never really been a big Adam Sandler fan but for whatever reason, this particular character he was portraying, he absolutely nailed it. It's seriously is a mix of weird and quirky and interesting music and it seems like the audio is very important because it's like a symphony of emotion of things going on in his head. There's also the cute little romance. One of my favorite scenes is when he was trying to go through the maze of apartments and run back up the stairs to see his girl one more time. Hilarious. This is definitely a good movie for anyone who struggles with pressure or stress in your head or a lot of things happening at once and becoming overwhelming.
September 11, 2017
It is in my all time top 10 movies...tremendous achievement for Paul Thomas Anderson and Adam Sandler. Really Big in Europe but not here.Don't understand why the critics didn't get this movie. In 20 years it will be considered a classic. I got goosebumps in the scene where he does a soft shoe in the middle of a grocery store.
August 27, 2017
A very strange start that unfolds into an interesting story involving love, seclusion, crappy siblings, anger management, and a coupon scheme to travel. I wasn't really into it from the beginning, but it got better as it went along.
July 17, 2017
A distinct and touching love story. PTA usually comes up with unique ways of telling stories, this one is more of a basic romance but Punch Drunk Love is a great film. and this is my favorite Sandler's performance. Its neat that it takes some Sandler tropes in some of his other rom-coms and does a very different take on it.