Quadrophenia - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Quadrophenia Reviews

August 12, 2016
A nostalgic angst-ridden blast.
½ July 26, 2016
Interesting take on the mods vs rockers scene of the 1960s. Plot is pretty basic though, and verges on pretentious towards the end. Movie is made by the soundtrack, performed by The Who.

Decent performances all round. Has Sting in a semi-major role.
April 2, 2016
Hilarious, well directed and well shot with superb performances. Its got an atmosphere and tone that nothing can match. A film that makes me proud to be British.
November 5, 2015
Cool music, cool parka coat, cool scooters.
September 19, 2015
Just a brilliant movie, can't think of a bad moment in it, absolutely love it.
½ August 31, 2015
Poor acting and a drab script. Not what I was expecting.
½ July 2, 2015
Often dubbed as the British "Mean Streets", yet it's less Scorsese and more Hal Ashby (the Harold & Maude parallels are impossible to ignore). Quadrophenia gives us moments of brilliance and others fail to even entertain. Uneven is the key word, but the film is powered by a phenomenal soundtrack (not only by The Who) that compensates some lack of depth.
½ March 31, 2015
When it was legal to ride a motorbike without helmet ...
To see this movie made me 30 years younger ... I have been in that disco.
February 21, 2015
I really like this film, although I think this is largley because I'm English and can sort of relate to the scene which I think you have to be able to do to enjoy it. It's also funny to see so many famous faces in their early years. There are hollywood, Brittish TV, and pop stars aplenty. The only downside to this was the soundtrack parts written by the Who for the film. I recently watched this with subtitles and you notice how ridiculous their lyrics are, almost broadway musical proportions.
½ February 11, 2015
"Hey, we can do the show right here". This has its origins in the slew of "pop" films made in the late 50's early 60's, The ones that usually starred Cliff Richard.

The cast look at odds with the dialogue. Daniels looks and acts like a demented sock puppet, probably trying too hard to inject some passion. The complexities of the original album themes, and his character, watered down for mass appeal.

Its a checkbox film:

Scooters n Parkas - Check
Mods v Rockers - Check
Inter-Generational Conflict - check
Sex n Drugs - Check
Chicken shit ending - check
½ February 6, 2015
Based upon The Who's 1973 album of the same name, this isn't a musical like Tommy (1975) was, it's something quite different. It uses the story told throughout the album to make a youth film, and a very good one at that. It's littered with lots of familiar faces and it uses songs from the Quadrophenia album, and other by the The Who and other artists to tell the story, it's a great timepiece too. Set in 1964, it tells the story of Jimmy Cooper (Phil Daniels), a mod who works in as a post room boy in an advertising firm. His parents (Michael Elphick and Kate Williams) don't understand what he's rebelling against, and they don't like him staying out all hours with his friends Dave (Mark Wingett), Chalky (Philip Davis) and Spider (Gary Shail). One Bank Holiday, Jimmy and his Mod friends clash with Rockers down in Brighton, which ends up in a massive riot, which ends up with Jimmy in jail, and it leaves him severely depressed as well. Then, his parents kick him out, he quits his job in disgust, and heads back to Brighton to recapture the spirit of that weekend. It's a very simple story, but even though it was done on a very low budget, it makes for a good film with a who's who of British film and TV of that time. Director Franc Roddam (who later came up with the ideas for Auf Wiedersehen, Pet and Masterchef), captures the spirit of Cool Britannia at that time, with the anthems of The Who, like The Kid's Are Alright and Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere made it seem like the youth then could do anything.
December 25, 2014
Franc Roddam's directorial debut, is one of the first looks at working class life, teenage angst, sex, drugs & violence based in 1964 Britain, based on the semjnal rock opera by The Who. Roddam's approach is a realistic one, he turned away original writter, Pete Townsend's idea of using a complete orchestral version of his rock opera. Rodam directs as if its a documentary following a week in a young mod's footsteps, Roddam's approach makes the film extremely realistic, and is one of the first films to be made which has frequent bad language, adding more realism of how the working class speak. Filled with some great music from the late 50's & early 60's, with of course music from its source (which was released in the 70's), excellent performances from its then unknown cast & with real mods & rockers as extras, this is an extremely realistic film about teenage life in the 60's, through anger, sex, drugs and violence. This is a modern classic & you'd be quite surprised on how much of the content can still be relative in today's society.
November 11, 2014
There's a lot to expect if you're a fan of "The Who".
October 28, 2014
Film based on The Who opera about the real life events from southern England and the battles in Brighton between gangs of Mods and Rockers.
The film revolves around the central character of Jimmy played by Phil Daniels.
Jimmy is your typical Mod but we see his descent into a drugged up violent tempered ending.
A smuttering of Cockney stars (and Sting) make up the cast. Look out for a youthful looking Nasty Nick Cotton and Jim Carver off The Bill.
The soundtrack makes the film though. The Who deserve recognition.
July 26, 2014
Meh. I thought Tommy was better. At least Tommy did the full album
½ July 3, 2014
Review In A Nutshell:

Quadrophenia is a story of a young lad named Jimmy. He belongs in a group called Mods, who are dressed in an urban classy style, uses a scooter for transport and adores the sounds of new era Rock. The Mods are rivals with a group similar to them called Rockers, who dress up similarly to the greasers in the 1950s; greasy hair, black leather jackets, loves the tunes of classic Rock n Roll and rides motorbikes. It is essentially giving us a picture of a boy‚??s life in Britain during the two rival cultures was at their peak.

The first thing I noticed when watching this film was how similar the characters feel to Francis Ford Coppola's film The Outsiders. It takes the same two groups from the American film and places them on a different environment, or should I say it the other way around as this film was released earlier. The film may seem biased at first, only giving the audience glimpse of a Mod's life rather than both, but I don't think it actually matters, as have the character be in either one, it would still be the same story. Franc Roddam, the director, and the writers have essentially given us a story about youth. It shows us the commitment a young man or woman would go to in order to be accepted and be regarded as different from the rest of society. The irony the film delivers is that most of them are actually not that unique, everyone in their group listens to the same type of music and dresses the same way, and just because they present themselves like this, they think they are ahead and that everyone else is behind. I do understand the importance of being a unique individual but it is only truly positive when the intentions are genuine; they force themselves to follow these trends in order to be accepted. Why can't they ever be content with themselves and create a path of their own, rather than relying on others to define yourself. The sadder part about watching this film is how true to reality this film actually is, any youth who has grown up in the urban side of a first world country could relate to the themes and messages that this film is attempting to convey. I myself has succumbed to the pressures of youth and blindly followed the "trends" that were cherished during my days in high school as I personally felt those problems were important and if I don't succeed in meeting those needs then my life would feel unfulfilled; my life isn't following the exact same footsteps as Jimmy did in this film but it is definitely on the same footpath.

The film's plot was the main reason I couldn't entirely appreciate this film. It moves along places that didn't feel at all different from the other films that touch on the same issues. How many times have we seen young people in films be violent, do drugs, and find a partner to fornicate with?, if one's going to touch on those areas then ensure that what you are showing us is something that is different from the rest. The only event in the film that truly stood out for me was the confrontation in Brighton and the film's final moments, which was homage of a film that I don't want to say as it would possibly spoil it for whoever reads it.

I am not the biggest fan of The Who, but I do listen to a couple of their music (especially the album Who's Next), therefore I never reached to a point of high excitement when hearing their tracks come on. Even saying this, I was satisfied with their usage in the film, capturing that edge that parallels with the personalities of youth. The final few minutes of the film was wonderfully assembled, music-wise, having tracks play almost continuously until the end of the credits, giving us that dramatic quality that was definitely missing from the rest of the film.

The acting in this film was decent, though I didn't really expect much anyways as the cast didn't feature actors that I have seen in other films anyways. I did appreciate the raw quality in the actors in this film; it helped me understand the personalities and details of adolescence during that period. The film was mostly carried by Phil Daniels and I was content with what he has delivered; he didn't show anything brilliant or astounding to his performance but it was enough to hold my interest, which is essential in a film of this nature.

I was impressed with Quadrophenia, though not as much as I would have hoped. It delivers empathetic issues and a story that would most likely satisfy those who have not seen many films similar to this.
½ July 1, 2014
Review In A Nutshell:

Quadrophenia is a story of a young lad named Jimmy. He belongs in a group called Mods, who are dressed in an urban classy style, uses a scooter for transport and adores the sounds of new era Rock. The Mods are rivals with a group similar to them called Rockers, who dress up similarly to the greasers in the 1950s; greasy hair, black leather jackets, loves the tunes of classic Rock n Roll and rides motorbikes. It is essentially giving us a picture of a boy's life in Britain during the two rival cultures was at their peak.

February 18, 2014
A not bad tale of youthful disenchantment.
December 30, 2013
An engaging human story as well as a fascinating look at the Mods vs. Rockers subculture rivalry.
½ December 20, 2013
You'd think it'd be impossible to make a great movie based off a rock album, but you'd be wrong, especially if this film actually uses music from the rock opera that inspired it. The film itself is quintessentially British, right down to the plot, the characters, and the setting. The acting is impressive, and the drama is powerfully delivered through its unique characters, and the general mood and atmosphere of the film itself. Through the plot, the film also does a damn good job at capturing what it was like in the era of "mods and rockers", while also taking you through the life of an angst-ridden 60's teenager, and carrying its theme of disillusionment through to the end. The film-makers obviously have excellent taste in music, because the soundtrack is actually great, featuring music from The Who and other artists, and the song used in the ending - "Love Reign O'er Me" - works so well on so many levels. Overall, it's a great movie that you really need to see in order to appreciate.