Rachel Getting Married - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Rachel Getting Married Reviews

September 20, 2017
Awards season heads to a close and it is hard to feel that all the campaigning means writers, directors and actors such as Jenny Lumet, Jonathan Demme and Anne Hathaway respectively have to miss out. Okay so Hathaway, yes Miss Princess Diaries herself, is a Best Actress nominee but Kate Winslet is in town right? Here a fine cast perform in a bittersweet, cutting no corners family drama shot like life through slightly intoxicated or morning sleepy eyes. Blunt, emotive and somehow real, this is a genuinely accomplished movie, quite like no other this year in many ways...
August 22, 2017
Perfect acting Anne ! Not surprised that she's nominated for an oscar.Good job.
½ July 20, 2017
I want to give it 5 stars because I really really like this movie. The problem is, there are a few scenes that I could just skip over because they could drag a little too long. However, with its shaky cam style, natural dialogue, themes, cringing realism and an amazing performance from Anne Hathaway, Rachel Getting Married is a engaging, believable, and fascinating take on family angst and personal troubles. Its one of my favorite films from the late great Jonathan Demme.
February 1, 2017
It's good movie to watch
½ January 26, 2017
I wish I could give this movie zero stars. Depressing and there's a point in the movie where they just play terrible music and show people dancing and getting high for what feels like 20 minutes.
August 19, 2016
A recovering addict feels like a stranger back in normal family life.
June 27, 2016
In Rachel Getting Married Anne Hathaway gives in this viewer's opinion the performance of her career.  Hathaway's Kym is a recovering addict who returns home for her sister's wedding.  She carries with her a tidal wave of emotions to impart to her already shaky familial relationship.  This movie is mostly uncomfortable to watch but that doesn't mean you should skip it.  I recommend this (but mostly to chicks).
May 15, 2016
I haven't been this frustrated with a movie, the characters in a movie, or the "script" of a movie in about a decade...

This was the biggest test of patience I've had in a long, long time.
½ April 16, 2016
Acting was great and I liked the interactions among the family dynamics whether celebrating or arguing it was believable and touching. The film i felt portrayed addiction in a family well and how it affects every member. What I didn't like was the constant little-unknown bands playing, fake hodge podge of cultures/nationalities, weak plot, and trying too hard to be cool/alternative. The film was shot in a unique up close style but i didnt really care for it, nor the constant changing of scenes. To me the film could've been a lot more had the director not been caught up in his pompous artistic style and instead filled the film with more depth.
April 5, 2016
Gorgeous performances all-around, specially from Hathaway and Bill Irwin.
Shot in a way that takes you deep into this family´s sorrow and disfunctional ways. A Very strong and touching film
½ February 27, 2016
another 'wedding from hell' pic & another lost review
½ February 7, 2016
I'm very surprised by this. I didn't expect to appreciate a wedding film with Anne Hathaway quite as much. The reason is because there is a dark story that unfurls throughout and this leads to some very powerful performances. If you wanna see her at her best, forget Le Mis, watch this.
January 21, 2016
I'm not an Anne Hathaway fan but she was good in this movie... It could have been a lot better....some parts just dragged like the rehearsal dinner for example, did we really need to hear toasts from 6 different people? I found it painful to sit through that part in particular and really I lost interest by the end of the movie..
November 24, 2015
To quote a review from Lawrence Toppman in the Charlotte Observer: "Alfred Hitchcock once said, "Drama is life with the dull bits left out." Well, Rachel Getting Married is drama with the dull bits left in." LOL. I got a great laugh out of that because it sums this film up in a nut shell. Dear oh dear, what a self-indulgent mess! Was it REALLY necessary to include EVERY toast from EVERY character in the dinner reception scene? Gimme a break! Or at the very least, someone please find Jonathan Demme a decent film editor.
½ November 8, 2015
I don't know how Jonathan Demme got this group of people together, including all the extended family members, and made something that is so damn uncomfortably dark, emotional, hilarious and realistic in scene to scene. It's an extremely great take at the Dogma approach but it's also a profound exploration on family and sisterhood.
½ September 28, 2015
Deep story with an amazing performance from Anne Hathaway.
August 8, 2015
I really hate its improvising style (that darn cinematography in particular!) from head to toe.
July 24, 2015
The beautifully emotional moments were overshadowed by drawn out wedding details that offered nothing to the story.
July 9, 2015
Very real and true to life; the plot is not contrived or thriller-esque, the movie moves along in the way a real family's wedding weekend might. The acting is very solid by all, especially Anne Hathaway. All in all there is plenty to keep it interesting, good script, visuals, music and directing
½ April 28, 2015
Beautifully shot to look like one long home video, Rachel Getting Married has a very intimate and authentic feeling, even if it does indulge in a few too many party scenes. A few thin plot points and a few thin characters here and there do not even begin to detract from the powerful and moving script and performances, especially that of Anne Hathaway, who portrays Kym as a charming, hysterical and deeply wounded but loving individual.