Rain Man - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Rain Man Reviews

September 13, 2017
I remember always having a fondness for Rain Man, because the relationship between the brothers is something special and you don't see that much in film nowadays. I've heard it said that Tom Cruise might have actually done the better acting in this movie, and I could buy that. He goes on a serious emotional journey that leads to character growth, but you can feel him making that transition slowly so that it is convincing. Dustin Hoffman becomes Raymond and he did create an extremely memorable character. It might be a bit over-the-top, but I don't know how someone with severe autism would really act to make a comparison.

Rain Man tugs at my heartstrings every time I see it, and usually brings me to tears. The bond between these brothers is so genuine and sweet that it becomes a feel good story despite many moments that aren't all that pleasant. I think there are some flaws in the story, and I could do without the lame car selling that was used as a framework for the film. However, most of the little flaws disappear for me when Raymond first steps onto the screen and we see the clash between him and his cocky younger brother. Rain Man is an excellent film that everyone should check out, if for nothing else watch it for the two amazing acting performances at the center of it all.
September 9, 2017
'Rain Man generates emotion in the audience's heart. Cruise and Hoffman deliver a great performance and good chemistry. It actually excelled my expectations.
August 29, 2017
A great story about a man finding his lost autistic brother and going on a journey with him! The cast does amazing, especially Dustin Hoffman who won an oscar for best actor! There are emotional parts throughout the movie and the moving journey they go through is really touching.
August 27, 2017
Fantastic movie in every way. Hoffman and Cruise deliver.
½ August 25, 2017
There really isn't a lot wrong with this film: for a comedy I suppose it could have been funnier at parts (in a way that we're not laughing at Raymond or Charles' reactions to Raymond's behaviour), and more history of the two (the title blends in with a few moments of their own past but a few more really would have added so much more depth to the characters). But, overall, it is a near-perfect film.
½ July 27, 2017
I do not like this movie at all. The writing and the acting is so stupid that the Monty Python version of the movie can use the same script word-for-word.
July 19, 2017
Dustin Hoffman's performance is amazing and this is one of the best films I've ever seen. It brings such emotion to the screen you'll be hard-pressed to keep back tears and though it doesn't end exactly the way you may have wanted, it ends the way it should.
½ June 21, 2017
'RAIN MAN' was directed by Barry Levinson and stars Tom Cruise and Dustin Hoffman. ?After his father's unfortunate death, Charlie(Tom Cruise) learns that he has an autistic brother called Ray(Dustin Hoffman). In an effort to get the 3 million dollars left to his brother, Charlie kidnaps him and they embark on a roadtrip across the USA.

This is a good movie pushed to greatness by Hoffman's spectacular performance. He provides one of the greatest performances in movie history and rightfully deserves his Oscar. Accompanying this powerhouse performance is a beautiful story. The humour was well handled and the story is very thought provoking. It's a very entertaining movie, held on its pedestal by Hoffman.

Barry Morrow and Ronald Bass wrote this movie and did fantastic jobs at it. It's a funny, harrowing and thought provoking tale that really drives emotion in the audience and makes you care deeply about the characters. With no spoilers, the ending for this movie is perfect and it couldn't have been done any better. Well done Morrow and Bass.

What can I honestly say about Hoffman that hasn't already been said before. His delivery, his mannerisms, his facial expressions - all of it is so contrived and focused and pure; it is truly one of the best performances ever given by an actor... ever. Cruise was our leading man and does a very good job as that. I really bought Charlie's arc and character development throughout the film and this is the perfect example of character redemption in a movie. He started off as a jerk but then you see his arc unfold and begin to really understand him. Props to Cruise for this but, once more, the writers, and even Hoffman's performance, deserve the credit. My main issue is Valeria Golino as Susana. Her performance wasn't anything too good and her entire character was completely pointless.

It is a technically proficient movie and I have no real gripes as to the way it was shot, edited or lit.

This movie is funny yet also sad. It is dramatic yet also melodramatic. The characters are lovable yet also loathsome. It's truly an example of what genius writing, a layered performance and fantastic direction can do. I heavily recommend you check this film out; it is definitely worth your time and I'll rate it 9 Tooth Picks out of 10.
June 17, 2017
An incredible performance by Dustin Hoffman
May 30, 2017
Great film. Dustin Hoffman is so good and belieable in this
½ May 21, 2017
While its portrayal of autism may not be entirely accurate (I should know, I'm autistic), the story and the characters are well-written and engaging enough to be considered great, and the performances are just spectacular.
May 19, 2017
A tender and emotional drama about family and brotherhood. Tom Cruise perfectly captures the journey from selfish wheeler-dealer to someone a bit more caring, but it's Dustin Hoffman who steals the entire movie in what may truly be one of the greatest performances ever put to film.
May 6, 2017
Definitely. Definitely.
April 26, 2017
Definitely a classic and must see, this film is a riot. Dustin Hoffman and Tom Cruise are teaming up for this incredible story of a man discovering he has a mentally deficient brother. the two embark on a road trip and form an unlikely team that will bond through adversity and countless adventures. Definitely a feel good movie and a must see.
April 23, 2017
Hoffman and Cruise give some of their finest performances in Rain Man. While the first half is very formulaic and feels like almost any other road trip film, the second half turns into a rich mellow drama regarding the beauty of brotherhood and its strength despite the differences between said brothers may have.
½ April 12, 2017
Story about a mentally challenged man who is kidnapped by his brother so he can collect his dead father's inheritance money. Dustin Hoffman was really good and deserved his award. Tom Cruise didn't convince me in the end he loved his brother. In fact, he seemed more narcissistic than ever. Didn't like this movie.
March 23, 2017
The term "Rain Man" is firmly entrenched in pop culture lexicon due to this great film. Obviously one of Dustin Hoffman's best performances but I realy thought Cruise was aweome too. They say he won't get that much credit because his character is too much like his real personality - lol !
½ March 10, 2017
Dustin Hoffman was dope
March 3, 2017
Thank you Hollywood for casting Tom Cruise for a good role.
½ February 28, 2017
While I think it's unintentionally funny at times, this movie is a defining moment in both Tom Cruise and Dustin Hoffman's careers.