Rain Man - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Rain Man Reviews

½ June 21, 2017
'RAIN MAN' was directed by Barry Levinson and stars Tom Cruise and Dustin Hoffman. ?After his father's unfortunate death, Charlie(Tom Cruise) learns that he has an autistic brother called Ray(Dustin Hoffman). In an effort to get the 3 million dollars left to his brother, Charlie kidnaps him and they embark on a roadtrip across the USA.

This is a good movie pushed to greatness by Hoffman's spectacular performance. He provides one of the greatest performances in movie history and rightfully deserves his Oscar. Accompanying this powerhouse performance is a beautiful story. The humour was well handled and the story is very thought provoking. It's a very entertaining movie, held on its pedestal by Hoffman.

Barry Morrow and Ronald Bass wrote this movie and did fantastic jobs at it. It's a funny, harrowing and thought provoking tale that really drives emotion in the audience and makes you care deeply about the characters. With no spoilers, the ending for this movie is perfect and it couldn't have been done any better. Well done Morrow and Bass.

What can I honestly say about Hoffman that hasn't already been said before. His delivery, his mannerisms, his facial expressions - all of it is so contrived and focused and pure; it is truly one of the best performances ever given by an actor... ever. Cruise was our leading man and does a very good job as that. I really bought Charlie's arc and character development throughout the film and this is the perfect example of character redemption in a movie. He started off as a jerk but then you see his arc unfold and begin to really understand him. Props to Cruise for this but, once more, the writers, and even Hoffman's performance, deserve the credit. My main issue is Valeria Golino as Susana. Her performance wasn't anything too good and her entire character was completely pointless.

It is a technically proficient movie and I have no real gripes as to the way it was shot, edited or lit.

This movie is funny yet also sad. It is dramatic yet also melodramatic. The characters are lovable yet also loathsome. It's truly an example of what genius writing, a layered performance and fantastic direction can do. I heavily recommend you check this film out; it is definitely worth your time and I'll rate it 9 Tooth Picks out of 10.
June 17, 2017
An incredible performance by Dustin Hoffman
May 30, 2017
Great film. Dustin Hoffman is so good and belieable in this
½ May 21, 2017
While its portrayal of autism may not be entirely accurate (I should know, I'm autistic), the story and the characters are well-written and engaging enough to be considered great, and the performances are just spectacular.
May 19, 2017
A tender and emotional drama about family and brotherhood. Tom Cruise perfectly captures the journey from selfish wheeler-dealer to someone a bit more caring, but it's Dustin Hoffman who steals the entire movie in what may truly be one of the greatest performances ever put to film.
May 6, 2017
Definitely. Definitely.
April 26, 2017
Definitely a classic and must see, this film is a riot. Dustin Hoffman and Tom Cruise are teaming up for this incredible story of a man discovering he has a mentally deficient brother. the two embark on a road trip and form an unlikely team that will bond through adversity and countless adventures. Definitely a feel good movie and a must see.
April 23, 2017
Hoffman and Cruise give some of their finest performances in Rain Man. While the first half is very formulaic and feels like almost any other road trip film, the second half turns into a rich mellow drama regarding the beauty of brotherhood and its strength despite the differences between said brothers may have.
½ April 12, 2017
Story about a mentally challenged man who is kidnapped by his brother so he can collect his dead father's inheritance money. Dustin Hoffman was really good and deserved his award. Tom Cruise didn't convince me in the end he loved his brother. In fact, he seemed more narcissistic than ever. Didn't like this movie.
March 23, 2017
The term "Rain Man" is firmly entrenched in pop culture lexicon due to this great film. Obviously one of Dustin Hoffman's best performances but I realy thought Cruise was aweome too. They say he won't get that much credit because his character is too much like his real personality - lol !
½ March 10, 2017
Dustin Hoffman was dope
March 3, 2017
Thank you Hollywood for casting Tom Cruise for a good role.
½ February 28, 2017
While I think it's unintentionally funny at times, this movie is a defining moment in both Tom Cruise and Dustin Hoffman's careers.
February 21, 2017
Grade - B
Rain Man benefits from a heartfelt story, and great performances from Tom Cruise and Dustin Hoffman to help it overcome some dragging moments.
February 12, 2017
80s movies maybe not my flavor and this movie contains too much tedious scenes.
February 10, 2017
great acting. Hoffman is hilarious in the role. Very entertaining movie.
½ February 3, 2017
Unscrupulous, selfish, smooth-talking LA car dealer Charlie Babbitt (Tom Cruise) is informed that his estranged father has just died. He travels to Cincinnati for the will reading but is disappointed when he receives hardly anything out of it, the bulk going to an unnamed trustee. He does some investigating and discovers that the money is going to a mental institution. At the institution he finds his older brother, Raymond (Dustin Hoffman), a brother he never knew he had. While Charlie's intentions are initially selfish, as he views Raymond purely as a meal ticket and irritation, over time his attitude, and outlook, change.

A wonderfully emotional journey. The transformation of Charlie, the way the two brothers grow closer to each other, the adventures and the humour make this a sweet, engaging story. Throw in the excellent performance of Dustin Hoffman (for which he received an Oscar) and you have a movie well worth watching.

While he didn't get an Oscar nomination, Tom Cruise does well as Charlie. He is playing to his strength, playing a brash, energetic young man but his character here is multi-dimensional and not the average action role.

Won the 1989 Best Picture Oscar.
February 2, 2017
A masterpiece of intimate cinema; a beautiful story about the unspoken bond between brothers and the unbreakable bond of family. Simple in theme, but beautiful, complex and subtextual in execution.
January 7, 2017
I had forgotten how great this movie is. If you are one of the few who missed it don't leave it any longer.
½ October 1, 2016
The acting, especially that of Dustin Hoffman, is very well done. I am impressed with Hoffman's portrayal of someone with autism, and I was smiling, laughing, and crying throughout as I related some of Rain Man's behaviors with some of my special education students.