Rare Exports: A Christmas Tale Reviews

• Oct 25, 2020

Well, it was a film. Unfortunately, it spends almost the entire running time focussing on the least interesting aspect of the story, and then glosses over it at the end. When your "wrapping up" montage is more interesting than the previous 90 minutes, your script has a problem.

• Oct 02, 2020

*Mild Spoiler* Ended up more Scandinavian Goonies, than (as I was hoping) The Ritual, but a fairly interesting watch nonetheless. At least for a while there.

• Jul 02, 2020

Rare Exports is more than just a blast; Rare Exports is the emotionally insane and adrenaline-fueled masterpiece that might just replace one's precious annual viewing of the likes of Home Alone or The Passion of the Christ.

• Feb 28, 2020

Most original Christmas story ever. Watch the extra scenes on DVD!

Most original Christmas story ever. Watch the extra scenes on DVD!

• Michael M Super Reviewer
    Dec 30, 2019

This movie wasn't really what I expected it to be. If you're anticipating something on the level of Krampus or other American Christmas horror entries, it's not really that. It is definitely a darker take on Christmas, but it does so with a much cheekier edge. It's a slow-burn movie, more character driven, and based on ideas and storytelling moreso than outlandish imagery and effects. That said, there's some pretty insane stuff near the end, but a lot of this movie is the characters learning the legend and figuring out what's going on for themselves. For that, it still works for me. I enjoyed the characters, and even though I knew what they were going to discover how they discovered it was still fun to watch. It's a weird little film.

• Dec 25, 2019

The dark humor excuses the occasional lack of logic. The movie is overall (aesthetically) pleasing to watch, and in my opinion the cgi just added charm as well as some laughs. I especially liked the original idea of the movie but with that said it could unfortunately have gotten more out of it, and I would have loved to see it. There is some gore in this movie but most of those scenes happen off-camera (all except one) so if you or the person you're watching with are squeamish, you are going to be fine. Overall I'd recommend you to watch this movie but don't expect a "christmas horror movie" as it is listed, but more of a dark christmas comedy.

• Dec 21, 2019

Finally, a refreshingly different take ... neither overt horror nor saccharine overload. In Finnish with subtitles. There is a certain degree of traditional taciturnity among the people of Finland, and 'Rare Exports' reflects that by not overloading the dialog with excess verbosity ... also refreshing!

• Dec 19, 2019

Great movie. A rare gem. Both my wife and I expected to hate it when we first saw it almost ten years ago. But we loved it. It's one of our guilty pleasures; and, after "It's a Wonderful Life," it's our favorite Christmas movie. Seriously. 😀

• Dec 09, 2019

I loved the dark humor combined with the idea of a scary holiday movie. The movie was at times hopeful and yet truly horrifying.

• Dec 09, 2019