Rashômon Reviews

• Oct 28, 2020

In the end, I wasn't convinced. The story started out good. There was anticipation cause of the line "never heard a story as horrible as this. This time, I may finally lose my faith in the human soul. It's worse than bandits, the plague, famine, fire or wars." It was disappointing cause the courthouse story wasn't worse than those terrible, catastrophic events. It was just said to hype up the movie. I felt like the drama and emotions portrayed by the characters lacked depth and was made convenient to arrive at a point about people being selfish and evil. There wasn't enough build-up to sympathize with the characters' sorrow and sudden realizations. I thought I would like this more than Kurosawa's other works cause the intro felt like a modern movie in a sense that it was straight to the point. Maybe this would work better if it was performed in a theater stage with a bit more exaggeration for effect.

• Aug 06, 2020

Akira Kurosawa's film is not simply a magnificent achievement in film. Lighting, sound, editing … each is its own character in this story about a specific incident. The incident – the death of a samurai and the rape of his wife – is seen through the eyes of four different witnesses. Although the same thing happened, the tellings are much different.

• Aug 04, 2020

Really good film. I finally got a chance to see this and now can know what the "rashomon" technique is first hand. I feel parts of it went over my head, but I am struck by how vivid the cinematography was, even in black and white.

• Jul 31, 2020

I understand that the symbolism and messaging in 'Rashomon' make up some (or most?) of this film's appeal, but I just don't feel that's enough to allow it to remain one of the "greatest films" of all time. It just isn't, in my opinion. The story itself is not that interesting to begin with, the overacting is a distraction at times, and that final "battle" scene is just pathetic. Maybe this film was something else when it arrived 70 years ago, but it hasn't stood the test of time.

• Jun 07, 2020

A fantastic depiction of how people experiencing the same event remember and tell the story differently. Thus, a nice example for any history class representing unreliability of human memory and credibility of any story being told. It goes wonderfully with the concept that humans are historical beings and that we are conscious of our past but that does not mean the past would be truthful to us. In short, OLD but GOLD.

• May 27, 2020

Rashomon is a movie about the human behavior. It is a film that is able to perfectly capture the nature of deceiving, stealing and lying. Although the film may sound very pessimistic at first glance, little by little we get to see some hope in these flawed personalities. It is one of the best movie that Kurosawa had ever directed.

• May 16, 2020

A masterful achievement in cinematic storytelling. Visually stunning and gripping. This is maybe the definitive Kurosawa's masterpiece reflecting the Japanese feeling during the post-WWII thanks to the game played between perception and reality.

• Apr 25, 2020

This is a fantastic movie that everyone should see.

This is a fantastic movie that everyone should see.

• Apr 24, 2020

A masterpiece about the unreliability of memory, or at least the unreliability of witness statements at a trial. There are many remarkable scenes, such as the camera-work during the initial journey through the jungle, which operates as an entrance into a mythological world where passions and emotions are heightened. The seance scene is unmatched for its strangeness, intensity and believability. Belongs in the top 10 films of all time.

• Mar 31, 2020

Akira Kurosawa proves with Rashomon to be a gifted storyteller that is able to maintain the viewer captivated until the credits roll in a stunning psychological tale.