Ray - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ray Reviews

December 28, 2016
Foxx is Ray Charles in this film. So well done, well thought out, well acted I would scratch my head at anyone that rated it below a 5/5. Get your popcorn ready on this one!
November 12, 2016
Well structured, what political message it had was kept minimal and a great performance by Jamie Foxx.
October 7, 2016
love this movie Jamie Foxx played an excellent role of Ray Charles
October 1, 2016
Nonostante non sia un amante dei film biografici, Ray riuscito a trasmettere emozioni sincere. Senza dubbio l'interpretazione di Jamie Foxx superlativa ma ho trovato il film non del tutto coinvolgente, vista una narrazione troppo lenta e dilatata nel tempo.
½ September 16, 2016
A chillingly realistic performance from the versatile actor that is Jamie Foxx!
½ August 14, 2016
The problem with Ray is that it tries to cram the long, illustrious of Ray Charles into a single narrative. All of the achievements Charles achieved and all of the tribulations he faced in the two decade time span the film covers is simply too packed for a film told using this kind of narrative structure. The structure itself is rather messy: starting in the late 1940s with the introduction to Charles' singing career, the film breezes through major points in Charles' life without the kind of development or focus you expect from biopics of this kind. The sporadic flashbacks to Charles' childhood on a plantation don't help with the film's already rushed nature, although they are some of the more emotional and impactful scenes in the film. Oddly, the film has a lengthy two and a half hour runtime: there's plenty of time for all of these moments to be fleshed out more than they are, and yet the film is still so desperate to get to the next big moment in Charles' life.

Truly the one thing keeping the film afloat is Jamie Foxx's Oscar winning portrayal of Ray Charles. Foxx manages to nail Charles' electric personality that became ever so famous from his performances, including his distinctive vocals. He also, however, captures the more troubled side of Charles, the man dealing with blindness, heroin addiction, and family troubles that haunt his past. The performance is so good, it becomes the saving grace of an otherwise standard biopic.
July 29, 2016
Found his own unique voice & style in his gospel & country & western roots to his R&B music. Whether his heroin added more than detracted from his music is debatable. His illegal addiction to it certainly did threaten to take it all away from him. He could only find the freedom to go on from it's grip when he could let go of the guilt of witnessing his little brother drown at an early age. I f you don't cry during some of these riffs & tunes then you ain't right.
½ July 24, 2016
The best of the string of Oscar best actor awards handed out simply for portraying a good imitation of a real celebrity (i.e. infinitely better than Capote!)
July 22, 2016
7/22/2016: A really good movie about a music icon. I'm not a big Foxx fan, but he killed it in this role. It was nice to see an honest biography.
July 19, 2016
Well-acted oscar bait.
½ July 16, 2016
A compelling direction just as striking as it biopic lead. Ray plucks every chord with its flawless performance from Jamie Foxx, vibrant charm and scenic story. 4.5/5
½ July 13, 2016
One of the better biopics I have ever seen fueled by an electric bravo performance from Foxx. I didn't know much about the man before I saw this film. It made me look up and research his life.
Anytime a movie can inspire you like that it is a classic.
The run time was long but my interest was never garnered. The flashbacks to his childhood fit the movie perfectly and helped explain the man he became and the obstacles he overcame as being a blind man.
Supporting roles were fantastic also and I just can't say enough about the performance by Jamie Foxx. It was one of the better of the decade.
The history part is also pretty good also. It's just a good flowing film anchored by an all time great performance.
June 30, 2016
Am never really a fan of Jamie Foxx but his portrayal of Ray Charles is simply uncanny and too brilliant.
½ June 20, 2016
The story of Ray Charles, music legend. Told in his adult live with flashbacks to his youth we see his humble origins in Florida, his turbulent childhood which included losing his brother and then his sight, his rise as pianist in a touring band, his writing his own songs and running his own band and then stardom. We also see his addiction to drugs and its affect on his working life and family life.

Great biopic. Tells the Ray Charles story well and demonstrates his influence on musical history. Also shows his demons and how he overcame them.

Quite emotional too: we see how, once he had lost his sight, his mother forced him to be self-reliant and how this paid off for him in later life.

Superb performance by Jamie Foxx in the lead role. The movie could easily have been a standard blow-by-blow account of the Ray Charles story but Foxx inhabits his character and captures his mannerisms and personality very well. Even more impressive in that he is a sighted man, playing a blind man. Foxx deserved his Best Actor Oscar.
May 10, 2016
: It has to be one of the most nothing biopics I've seen in a long while. Ray Charles's musical talent is unrivaled and will rightfully go down in history. This movie though, with so many other biopics out there on actors, sports athletes, and other musicians, this feels like it's just there. Not harmful, just there for the sake of being there.
½ April 15, 2016
Powerful profile of a man who went deep and made it back alive...
March 20, 2016
When we are not blind when we know when we are owned as slaves and owned when we being played. When being blind, doesn't mean we are stupid or made as fools. We know our place, when we lived far too much in different places where we are not appreciated, wanted to now being wanted and appreciated. We walk away from bad people whom treat us bad. When we can recall where it all began to whom got us there then and whom got us there now. When we know all to we'll when someone hustles us, but other times we have to face blindness can't see everything or every time we are hustled. We can't see to Somethings we are not welcomed to by others, and others we are welcomed. When we are assisted along the way, to being haunted by not offering assistance to other things. When we have always lived on the edge, need to escape it all, get our mind away from things, when we are traumatized by our past. When we recall the time when we did go blind. When each song or hit is homage to something in our past that got us there. "Baby Let me Hold your Hand". But can't recall to how we went blind, it was all a mystery. When we are good, for a reason, when we have followed the greats. When we choose not to follow others to follow our talents elsewhere. When we are only good, when we are original and have our own sound. And some songs/hit are from someone else's mind. When we just don't know how he does it. When he is different than most men, not based on how he sees in being blind, but by how he sees in how he sees life in his music and real life. When he hears how he sees, god given gifts. When some gifts are hidden and great. When some gifts he can see without eyes. When some gifts that came straight from God we make our own from songs to a great wife. When the Devils gifts are also great, that makes changing god music for sex for money even more better. When others are no fool, and are not blind. When we can see how good we are and wanted that our senses besides our eyes are enheightened to want things. When we are coming around with our own sound, by our god given skills and devil's hand. When we are becoming a greater hit, and make fools out of everyone whom we betray, abandon, leave behind. When we lost our eye on whom got us here, whom nourished us, made us grow and whom got us there along the way. When we havent lost our way on some aspects, the wrong ways we kept and right ways we left behind. When we are less gospel, and more devilish that we enjoy that got us here. When we have a larger fellowship, larger sound, larger profits, larger label, that we care what people say, so much different from life growing up. When we are handed to the world so early and unable to see, cared for to get an education for blind people, that have to take care for ourselves. When being fooled when we least expect it, in time where things are getting bad, we take a stand. When it's a time where being different isn't accepted. When we are accepted for some things we do, but other things which is unlawful. When it's both that is not accepted, when its conflicting with people's values, views, households, life, money, politics and religion. When all what we do is due to being alone in the dark, all our life and in the industry of sound we lead.
March 2, 2016
Ray's excessive lenght is overcome by its talented cast - led by a powerhouse performance from Jamie Foxx on the title role - resulting in a entertaining biopic.
February 6, 2016
Jamie Foxx is brilliant as Ray Charles!
January 7, 2016
Well words could never say how great Jamie Fox was at acting this roll. Very interesting to learn more about the music legend Ray Charles' life. The dangers of drugs and addiction are shown well, it is just too bad Ray couldn't have used his fame while living to steer others away from the same pitfalls he fell into. Great movie though.