Ready Player One - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ready Player One Reviews

½ February 16, 2019
While the story and plot is on shaky ground, and the characters are not the best developed, the visual spectacle, emotional relationship that´┐ 1/2(TM)s quite clear, more than makes up for the minor mistakes
February 14, 2019
I was rather disappointed after watching this because I had read the book. With the change in story line, references, and entire structure of the original, I was rather sad that the only things I seemed to recognize were the very bare bones. I'm sure to someone who did not love the book would find this an entertaining sci-fi adventure flick, but unfortunately I could not. It seemed to sacrifice it's niche market for wide, moderate appeal.
½ February 14, 2019
What feels like a James Cameron film, has great pop culture reference and is a thrill ride for video game and film geeks to love
February 13, 2019
Ready Player One on the biggest screen you can find. Spielberg did the impossible and brought Ernest Cline's amazing novel to life. A film that carries us into the future by embracing what what we love from our past.
February 13, 2019
Absolute SHIT. Maybe you should read the actual book instead???
½ February 10, 2019
Though this movie was solid with effects and entertainment factor, I feel as if it could have remained more faithful to the original book plot then it ended up. To me, if a book is going to be adapted into a movie, there must be some expectation that the movie will be a representation of the original book, as without the book this movie would not exist at all. And although there were times during this movie that the plot was bang on, there were also times when the audience was left wanting more.
February 10, 2019
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory Reboot with eighties music for the parents, like every damned movie that's made these days. That's pretty much it. That's my entire review. Couldn't watch to end because I walked out When the dance scene cued the Bee Gees "stayin' alive'. There are only so many cliches you can take before you realize you're not seeing anything new or original, just a montage of carefully selected wedding favorite hits for a very specific demographic. Lame.
½ February 10, 2019
Spielberg's newest hit is impressive both visually and narrative-wise, spiced with more pop culture references than you can count
February 9, 2019
With improvement and visually simplified clarification into the cinema's favor over literature, Spielberg's visionary imagination is a fitting creativity towards adapting the titular source material into a rousing, exhilarating, fun game of a ride that has formed a common mindset of one's interaction with pop culture - hence the fun by the galore of pop culture Easter eggs. (A-)

(Full review TBD)
February 9, 2019
A good job from Steven Spielberg.
½ February 9, 2019
Read the book. This movie is a disaster.
February 9, 2019
Great book, but unfortunately the film version is all spielberged up. K-lame.
½ February 7, 2019
a nice and nostalgic nod to the 1980s and 90s, but could (and should) have been darker and less predictable.
½ February 7, 2019
2019-2-3 Watched this because of Steven Spielberg. I don't play games, but I could see this might become our life in the near future. Internet is very convenient and has changed our life. The reality is still the most important thing.
½ February 3, 2019
Thoroughly enjoyable film that the whole family will like. "Ready Player One" is a melange of movie and cultural tropes - video gaming, dystopian future, evil corporation, fantasy-quest, etc. - that Spielberg pulls off with his usual aplomb. The characters are all the standard types yet you can't help but root for the plucky youngsters fighting for good. The visuals and graphics are all top notch. Adding all the pre-2000 cultural references are just more icing on this gigantic, overstuffed confection. Don't over analyze it and enjoy "Ready Player One" for the fun ride it is.

Update - on further consideration, the whole dystopian future as envisioned by Spielberg is so corporate Hollywood and so vanilla. Doesn't nearly have the bite of so many YA films out there like "The Maze Runners" and definitely not up to "Blade Runner" or "Minority Report".

Updated - took down by 1/2 stars since, in re-contemplating, the whole dystopian future that Spielberg creates is so vanilla and so corporate Hollywood, not nearly as good as what one gets in "Blade Runner" or "Minority Report".
February 2, 2019
A throwback to all 80s and 90s children favourite things. Great story about friendship and life
February 2, 2019
Derivative, cliche, tired, uninspired, badly acted, awful dialogue, dull stereotype characters. It's Spielberg's worst movie ever. I think people are seeing much more than is really here because Spielberg directed it. I hate to diss a film loved by many, but really, this is terrible in every way.
January 31, 2019
I love ready player one it is a good no a amazing movie it is happy cute sad and funny and it show anyone can be good at video games
January 31, 2019
It seems Like a great movie!
½ January 30, 2019
One of Spielberg's okay films. It feels pointless for some reason.