Ready Player One - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ready Player One Reviews

September 23, 2018
That's a spielberg movie you have to see !! It's a mix between reality and fiction ( video games ). And the scenario is good like the movie
September 23, 2018
I hate video games and VR. I have no particular fondness for eighties culture, despite marinating in it. I knew all the references. I've known the charm of making since I was 12. But this movie was very disturbing. I didn't recognize anything Spielbergian, which was the one reason I gave in and watched (and Simon Pegg, let's be honest). White guy saves the fake universe created by another white guy, from destruction at the hands of a third white guy, and gets the cute white girl, and the admiration of his non-white friends. Good grief. And all this just to prevent "The Oasis" from having ads. Pfft. And the people in "the stacks?" I guess they get to stay there, lucky them.
Two stars for some cool visual treats. That's being nice.
September 23, 2018
Honestly I thought the movie was amazing. A thrill seeking Easter egg hunter goes after the dream of any player . To be the first to reach an Easter egg . Amazing from start to finish all nostalgic content made me see the Easter eggs in this movie and appreciate them to see what they brought upon the world today . Amazing would watch again completely .
September 23, 2018
I did not know what I would really think about it when I started to watch this movie. I hoped that I would like it but I was not sure what I would actually get. I used to like Steven Spielberg a lot but later in his career he's done movies that either was not my kind of movies or that I was simply not that impressed by. However, as it turned out, this one I liked a lot as you can see from my rating.

As a computer nerd and science fiction geek this movie was of course right up my alley. I have thought other movies would be my kind of movies before but been sorely disappointed by ignorant and incompetent screen writers and directors trying to cash in on subjects that they knew absolutely nothing about. Spielberg did a good job of not screwing this one up.

The core of this movie is of course plenty of action and computer generated special effects with a somewhat apocalyptic story to bind everything together. The story works but it is not really anything special and some of the stuff, like the loyalty centers, was frankly a bit silly. But, as I wrote, it works and does not get in the way so that's good enough for me.

As the previously mentioned nerd and geek I absolutely loved the abundant references to science fiction, fantasy and gaming history and lore. For me those were soo cool. I will probably watch the movie again just to focus on the background and see how much stuff I can spot. Stuff that I missed when watching the movie the first time.

The CGI effects and the action was also pretty awesome. The movie starts off right away with a great and absolutely insanely wild car race and continues to go strong from there. The battle at Doom castle at the end is just epic.

The only thing that made me go WTF was at the end [SPOILER AHEAD] were Mr Asswipe Sorrento finally catches up with the High Five's van and the he just freezes and looks at Wade with a silly look on his face. What the fuck was that? Just stupid for no good reason.

Well, few are the movies where there's nothing to gripe about. On the whole though this movie was great in my book. Also, I cannot say how pleased I am to finally watch a Hollywood movie that is not a remake or a sequel or a prequel or some other lame excuse to rehash a movie that has already been made.
½ September 22, 2018
Just plain awful. If you've read the book stay away from the movie it will literally make you hate the book. This was the worst movie I think I've seen in years! YEARS! Bad. Bad. Bad. Completely ruined the book for me because it's asociated with such trash that this movie is. Waste of money, time, and energy.
September 21, 2018
An entertaining action movie full of fan-service for all.
½ September 19, 2018
Ready Player One is more likely one of Spielberg's more authentic films because he manages to reproduce the same old blockbuster magic just as before so well, it has to be one of the most well-constructed films Spielberg has ever developed. And even then, not does it just have such
mezmorizing special effects, it has to have produced a new chapter to the science-fiction, just like Ernest Cline's novel adaptation of the film.
September 19, 2018
This movie has a good plot, it is well directed, with curated scenes, astonishing visual effects and an epic colossal final fight. I liked very much this film.
½ September 19, 2018
The book was better!
½ September 18, 2018
I would've loved this movie if Artemis turned out to be a 30-year-old man instead of a supermodel.
September 17, 2018
A great fun Speilberg film after a long while, not a classic but does remind speilberg of the past
½ September 17, 2018
It is a common complaint that the movie is not as good as the book. But with an entertaining but mediocre book, and Spielberg directing the movie, I thought this would be the exception. Spielberg took what was entertaining about the book and lost it by either omitting it or changing it, and added nothing in its place. I cannot recommend this movie unless you were looking for the thinnest of entertainment.
September 17, 2018
This movie is amazing. If you love gaming sci fi or anything geeky this is your movie. This has easily reached one of my favorite movies.
½ September 17, 2018
Hugely disappointing, so much so I just had to write a review. It wasn't bad enough that they didn't follow the story line of the book, they had to add things that were completely contradictory. Painful to watch acting from everyone. I am hoping Cline was forced to re-write such drivel by his publishing company and movie execs. Next book get better control over your IP. Amazed Spielberg would be involved in such garbage. Oh well, a change to make a great movie lost.
September 17, 2018
Is the best movie of this year because has very good special efects and it give to you emotion
September 16, 2018
They left out, like, half of the story.
½ September 15, 2018
Ready Player One picks an unusual director for this being the acclaimed Steven Spielberg, and you may think, what does he know about pop culture? He knows a lot and shows what it could be like in the future with OASIS. The film will definitely not be on Spielberg's greatest films list, but it proves to be a very strong one.
September 14, 2018
Following the death of its architect, a reclusive mastermind with an appreciation for easter eggs and pop culture trivia, the virtual denizens of an MMO called OASIS embark upon a high-stakes scavenger hunt. To the victor go the spoils - in this case, untold riches and complete control of the game - which would make a big difference in the outside world, where society stands on the brink of collapse. That premise does make for an interesting book, where there's plenty of time to elaborate, but in abridged form on the screen it feels more than a little shallow. There, our attention seems more focused upon the background noise and blink-to-miss cameo appearances than the plot and central characters themselves. Granted, those little tidbits and surprises are responsible for much of what made the book so unique, and I'm sure they cost a pretty penny to shoulder into the scenery. Are they really more valuable than character development? The main cast is basically a narrow series of templates, plain as can be, and neither the virtual world nor the real one are fleshed out any further than the fight locations in a typical game of Street Fighter II. A few fun ideas do not make for a nourishing film experience. In a couple weeks, the five-minute segment recreating Stanley Kubrick's The Shining will likely be all I can remember.
September 14, 2018
Lame.All the hype. How? Boring. Disappointed. Guess I'm not a virtual player fan. Couldn't even stick with it to finish the entire movie.
September 13, 2018
Really loved this film a film for all the family