Ready Player One - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Ready Player One Reviews

½ November 19, 2018
A visually stunning adventure filled with great nostalgia
½ November 18, 2018
This film must be the best feel-good movie of the year. The stunning visuals really takes its toll powerfully in this movie, yet not overdone. The film must be praised as a blockbuster, all thanks to Steven Spielberg's well contributive direction. Absolutely intriguing and yet will remembered for a really long time...????????????????
½ November 18, 2018
Extremely enjoyable sci fi with heaps of nostalgia as well as futuristic fun.
November 16, 2018
Excellent movie. Great script with a meaty middle which almost all movies lack today. A REAL story: continually interesting, suspenseful, and at times simply brilliant. Will go down as one of Speilbergs best and along with Blade Runner 2049 easily one of the best movies of the 2010s. I grew up in the 80s and a tribute to the awesome pop culture of that era is long overdue. Great satirical stab at modern crappy popular culture. The homage/satire plus strong goal driven plot and likable characters all add up to Ready Player One being a refreshing example of good storytelling. Kudos to Soeilberg. And double kudos for the pleasant romance between Wade and Samantha, who are both very easy to root for.
November 16, 2018
Spielberg‚(TM)s recent sci-fi entry is a rollicking sci-fi-adventure film filled with the heart of the 80s classics. The performances are solid, though not overly impressive, and the visual effects are mightily-impressive. There is something to say, however, about its over-reliance upon pop-culture, and while it is an essential aspect of the plot, it is used in a way where the plot is sometimes swallowed by the references. And it means that the Silvestri score is under-utilised, and overall the plot is a little lost in moments. But as a whole, there is a lot to love in this film, and I‚(TM)d be lying if I said that the pop-culture usage isn‚(TM)t a heck of a lot of fun, making up for its flaws.
½ November 14, 2018
Filme joga a ciência pela janela quando contraria a Propria lógica. ate hoje não sei como o traje pode jogar uma pessoa á 3 metros de distancia. Não consigo imaginar uma economia funcionando quando tudo pode ser criado em 3D segundo o filme ate o próprio escritório do vilão que tem um nome esquecível. Faltou compreensão do produtor sobre a logica de criação de games. O filme não tenta convencer de sua logica, só passa para a próxima explosão.
November 13, 2018
It is a fun, nerdy film, even if it is a bit overstuffed and cliched.
½ November 13, 2018
Steven Spielberg is back with something I never thought he would do. A futuristic film about gaming, virtual reality or somewhere in between.

Some guy in the year of 2050 or something is spending most of his days in an online world, gaming with other people. Life is seeming less important than the pixlated version of reality. The methods and equipment are bigger than these days and seem like a big thing for most of the world's population. There's a game, or world, or somthing that has some keys hidden. No one finds the "easter eggs" but our man is on the misson and he get's a crew in serch of finding all three of them. Some bad fellas want's to kill him - both online and IRL, since they can make money of getting them first.

I feared that this would be a film where an old man (Steven) is out on a mission to know more about this generation and it's gaming culture. And it feels like it's exactly what this is. The plot is pretty standard, if you can let the gaming stuff be any other "normal" movie mission.

It has some seriously impressive CGI - it looks, and sadly feels like a game. What I do like is all the referances from both films and elder games. The biggest thing for me here. A few nice touches is making it watchable, but this was not a good film for me. It has the needed profesionalness, the cash invested, the director and the looks (kind of) but it's never really interesting and it feels dragged.

I'm surprized I don't hate this film, but you should never expect that from an Spielberg flick. This was low for his standards, even if it got many of his fingerprints all over it. The mixture just did not work for me.

4.5 out of 10 gamers.
½ November 12, 2018
A fun and exciting adventure, "Ready Player One" proves to be far from Spielberg's best work, but due to its amount of entertaining, the film proves to be a fun time out at the movies.
November 11, 2018
Bonita y nost√°lgica, pero no creo que tenga mucho m√°s, tiene al a√Īadido de ver a todos nuestros personajes favoritos (y no tan favoritos) de la cultura popular, lejos de eso, el argumento se convierte en algo muy simple en cuanto hablamos de la b√ļsqueda de las llaves. Efectos especiales maravillosos y fant√°sticos con escenas que se salvan de un argumento que al fin y al cabo todos llegamos a vaticinar convirti√ (C)ndose en una pel√≠cula cualquiera. Una oportunidad desaprovechada que pod√≠a haberse convertido en el santo grial de muchos ``Geeks¬ī¬ī. Pero una pel√≠cula entretenida que muchos fans adorar√°n ver para buscar cada uno de los gui√Īos que oculta a la propia cultura pop
November 10, 2018
When I saw this movie I was blown away. This is a must see.
November 8, 2018
Best part was the shining reference, either than that the movie is a CGI filled roller coaster that is forgettable at the least. I miss the old Steven Spielberg.
November 8, 2018
As an avid lover of 80s pop culture and video games this movie really speaks to me on an emotional level
November 8, 2018
It's a pretty good movie
½ November 7, 2018
Ready Player One is a 2018 American live action/animated science fiction adventure film produced and directed by Steven Spielberg.
This movie has such a unique premise, that I was hooked right from the start. And being a fan of games, I was interested to see where the story would take me along for the ride. An enjoyable film.
½ November 6, 2018
The film works best when it flips the script on its god-awful source material, transforming the Łber-nerd/Łbermensch lead into a functional human, developing the relationships into more than just fantasy reflections, and critiquing the capacity of entertainment to offer meaningful escape. Rather, in Spielberg's version, what we need to escape from is escapism itself, learning anew how to commit ourselves to real political, ethical, and interpersonal struggles by confronting the anxiety of our influences.

Rewatch: Its exhilarating successes are the film's own and its failures stem (largely) from its source material, taking a page right out of the book by repeating the same sickeningly nostalgic and paralyzingly unimaginative gatekeeping geekdumb. At least, stripped of the novel's tendency to merely catalog references rather than use them, cinema's capacity for visualizing intertextuality elevates Cline's doggerel into something fun to look at, though not particularly interesting to think about. In its best moments-those most in line with the ethos of the OASIS, and so furthest from Cline's limited creativity-Spielberg marshals the material as a starting point to self-reflection rather than self-deception, turning the novel's navel-gazing into knowing nods to his own career, his influence, and his influences.
½ November 3, 2018
Unbeknownst to me, this was a full fledged kids movie, at least according to its script and dialogues. However, the s word was generously used and the f word made an appearance. Kids will enjoy this loud flick for its superficial value but may not get all the 80's nostalgia. On the other hand, sdults who resonate with the nostalgia will likely find this movie very shallow.
November 3, 2018
Extra points for nostalgia and cultural references, not to mention the soundtrack. Deduct points for everything else (the story, acting, not respecting the logic of the created universe, having extra people for no purpose, dead ends in the story, cliche choices, relying too much on the effects and not the scene...) The visuals are nice, though. That's where the money and the talent went, obviously.
November 2, 2018
love this movie it is awesome
November 1, 2018
Had give a low rating due to the unnecessary changes from the book. The changes boarderline ruined what could have been an amazing movie