The Recruit - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Recruit Reviews

½ November 12, 2017
Story about a whiz kid trained to be a CIA agent. I actually enjoy the first half of the movie a lot. Its the second half that sucks. The whole thing ends like a bad episode of 24.
October 15, 2017
Great potential lost. Too "complicated" for its own good.
August 16, 2017
Entertaining, but I got lost towards the end - I'll have to watch it again.
June 19, 2017
Salpicado de clichês do gênero agente duplo na CIA, o elenco e da mais alta estirpe, mas nenhum dos personagens é envolvente o suficiente, para torna The Recruit um bom filme de conspiração.
½ January 15, 2017
It's good movie to watch
December 12, 2016
Slightly formulaic, still interesting...
½ December 5, 2016
Over stuffed plot that, despite fun performances and ideas, is devoid of all thrills
½ October 18, 2016
Apart from one big plot hole (for which I at least never caught an explanation), this really is a good thriller with a dozen twists to keep you guessing.
September 18, 2016
Engaging and provocative thriller with Al Pacino and Colin Farrell leading the way!
½ September 11, 2016
This is the type of film which I can happily watch and enjoy but will forget quite quickly. It's a nice story with plenty of twists and turns to keep you interested but it does lack something special to make it stand out.
½ May 27, 2016
The Recruit is very well made and well acted, but it has a ton of problems and is so forgettable, I'll never watch it again, but I did enjoy the movie.
½ March 6, 2016
So fucking boring Farrell and Pacino should feel ashamed of themselves.
Films like this just murder Hollywood.
½ February 7, 2016
Enjoyed very much, one of my favourites
January 8, 2016
Tried to be great, but writing was lame. One of the best kiss scene (parking garage) though! ð???
½ January 3, 2016
Ever wanted to see Colin Farrell become a CIA agent under the tutelage of Al Pacino? Well then The Recruit has the ticket you've been waiting for.

Enter Boston, where MIT student James Clayton (Farrell) is an attractive, physically fit, super intelligent computer...hacker...tech guy, who catches the eye of Walter Burke (Pacino) a high level CIA recruiter. After a bit of coaxing, Clayton is shipped off to Langley to go through CIA boot camp, meeting Layla Moore (Bridget Moynahan), an equally clever and attractive agent. Burke's whole plan is to find a new NOC (Non official cover agent), and he's willing to do anything necessary to find them - including blurring the line between training and real life.

The Recruit is one part spy thriller and one part propaganda, creating a mystique around the CIA training process that gives off at least the impression of being pretty accurate. The movie does a good job of inducing a spook paranoia that must end up being part of the NOC's MO, while also keeping things light hearted enough to offer a couple chuckles along the way.

The film is not particularly noteworthy in terms of cinematography, design, creativity, or even plot, but it manages to hold its own thanks to some solid acting, a decent pace, and subject matter interesting enough to keep you engaged throughout.

TL;DR - 7/10
Not great, but good. The Recruit is a run of the mill espionage thriller that won't necessarily stick in your memory, but makes for an enjoyable evening for anyone who likes spy flicks. The genre is a tough sell, but The Recruit holds its own, offering just enough intrigue to keep it from being a dud.
½ November 15, 2015
A guy (Colin Farrell) goes thru CIA training, then gets booted from the program. And then he gets re-recruited by his instructor (Pacino) and starts working a mission for him to catch a mole inside the CIA. And the mole is a female recruit (Bridget Moynihan) whom Farrell became close to during training, so he's a perfect candidate to spy on her. And then the plot twists a lot from there. I find it funny that there are reviewers who called this movie "predictable". Maybe they're just trying to impress us with their brilliance. Personally I loved this movie because it was very un-predictable, and I was guessing right up to the end. Pacino was, as always, excellent and perfect. The plot was great and believable. Casting was excellent. If you want a very engrossing CIA film, this is for you.
June 25, 2015
With Farrell and Pacino you'd think quality thriller but sadly then you'd be wrong.
½ June 21, 2015
Not as engaging as it sets up to be
½ June 13, 2015
This film lacked plot depth, lingered too long on setup and still managed to neglect to develop the central characters' motives.