The Recruit - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Recruit Reviews

½ October 18, 2016
Apart from one big plot hole (for which I at least never caught an explanation), this really is a good thriller with a dozen twists to keep you guessing.
September 18, 2016
Engaging and provocative thriller with Al Pacino and Colin Farrell leading the way!
½ September 11, 2016
This is the type of film which I can happily watch and enjoy but will forget quite quickly. It's a nice story with plenty of twists and turns to keep you interested but it does lack something special to make it stand out.
½ May 27, 2016
The Recruit is very well made and well acted, but it has a ton of problems and is so forgettable, I'll never watch it again, but I did enjoy the movie.
½ March 6, 2016
So fucking boring Farrell and Pacino should feel ashamed of themselves.
Films like this just murder Hollywood.
½ February 7, 2016
Enjoyed very much, one of my favourites
January 8, 2016
Tried to be great, but writing was lame. One of the best kiss scene (parking garage) though! ???
½ January 3, 2016
Ever wanted to see Colin Farrell become a CIA agent under the tutelage of Al Pacino? Well then The Recruit has the ticket you've been waiting for.

Enter Boston, where MIT student James Clayton (Farrell) is an attractive, physically fit, super intelligent guy, who catches the eye of Walter Burke (Pacino) a high level CIA recruiter. After a bit of coaxing, Clayton is shipped off to Langley to go through CIA boot camp, meeting Layla Moore (Bridget Moynahan), an equally clever and attractive agent. Burke's whole plan is to find a new NOC (Non official cover agent), and he's willing to do anything necessary to find them - including blurring the line between training and real life.

The Recruit is one part spy thriller and one part propaganda, creating a mystique around the CIA training process that gives off at least the impression of being pretty accurate. The movie does a good job of inducing a spook paranoia that must end up being part of the NOC's MO, while also keeping things light hearted enough to offer a couple chuckles along the way.

The film is not particularly noteworthy in terms of cinematography, design, creativity, or even plot, but it manages to hold its own thanks to some solid acting, a decent pace, and subject matter interesting enough to keep you engaged throughout.

TL;DR - 7/10
Not great, but good. The Recruit is a run of the mill espionage thriller that won't necessarily stick in your memory, but makes for an enjoyable evening for anyone who likes spy flicks. The genre is a tough sell, but The Recruit holds its own, offering just enough intrigue to keep it from being a dud.
½ November 15, 2015
A guy (Colin Farrell) goes thru CIA training, then gets booted from the program. And then he gets re-recruited by his instructor (Pacino) and starts working a mission for him to catch a mole inside the CIA. And the mole is a female recruit (Bridget Moynihan) whom Farrell became close to during training, so he's a perfect candidate to spy on her. And then the plot twists a lot from there. I find it funny that there are reviewers who called this movie "predictable". Maybe they're just trying to impress us with their brilliance. Personally I loved this movie because it was very un-predictable, and I was guessing right up to the end. Pacino was, as always, excellent and perfect. The plot was great and believable. Casting was excellent. If you want a very engrossing CIA film, this is for you.
June 25, 2015
With Farrell and Pacino you'd think quality thriller but sadly then you'd be wrong.
½ June 21, 2015
Not as engaging as it sets up to be
½ June 13, 2015
This film lacked plot depth, lingered too long on setup and still managed to neglect to develop the central characters' motives.
January 29, 2015
Extremely Predictable though.
½ January 23, 2015
very cool movie with a great story and lots of cool CIA stuff. has some flaws but still very entertaining and suspenseful (about 4 views)
½ December 7, 2014
A thriller that isn't thrilling in any way shape or form that is uninteresting when it's about something really intriguing. The acting isn't good but that's because of a terrible, very predictable, unoriginal script that feels like a rough draft that was turned into a final draft without any thought or plan for what they were going for. This is one of the worst movies I've ever seen and is a movie I truly wish I could forget...SO BORIIIIIIIIIIIING
October 25, 2014
A fun who is the bad guy film. Pacino and Farrell go back and forth throughout the film an by the end even if it is a bit obvious who the bad guy is getting the was so fun it doesn't really matter.
October 18, 2014
The first half was interesting and solid, but the moment the second half hits....
October 13, 2014
It took half a bottle of scotch, but I managed to sit through it.

Do I get a prize?
½ September 14, 2014
Probably true to life in the way of CIA recruitment. But tiresome to watch. And at times quite annoying !....I didn't make it to the finish...
½ September 14, 2014
The twists and turns are enough to keep the audience constantly guessing.