Red Cliff (Chi Bi) Reviews

• Jun 10, 2018

It's a high budget Hollywood style movie by John Woo, who is well recognized director in many US Jet Li films. However, aside from historical inaccuracy, the fight scenes were pretty much ninja turtlesque... Come on, 5 guys defeat 10s of thousands of troops? Ridiculous. It just more a kungfu movie than "historical drama." but perhaps what is most ridiculous is the need to push modern SJW progressive lunacy in the plot line. Seriously, ancient China would not have allowed much of Zao Wei's character to run amok like that. Totally unrealistic and stupid.

• Apr 24, 2018

Epic film of a battle from real life Chinese history.

Epic film of a battle from real life Chinese history.

• May 21, 2017

I saw the short version (this) but it seems the long two-part version is better. Epic story and battles but so much looked so advanced that I checked for accuracy. It is not appart from the costumes, see https://www.reddit.com/r/AskHistorians/comments/3t22nj/is_the_movie_red_cliff_historically_accurate/ Very good film but we are not learning much facts about the era with this film.

• Jan 11, 2017

I saw the short version and it thrilled me . A powerful story that is told in a powerful film. The scenery, the movement of the camera, the wonderful choreography of battles, the smart/ sharp/ some-times-funny dialogues/script, serve well to this masterpiece. I just obtained the original extended version and I'm more than longing to get a bucket of popcorn to just sit there and watch it.

• Oct 18, 2016

Periodically things like amateurish cinematography or mediocre CGI would remind me that China's film industry is still in its adolescence. All things considered though, I'd say the kid has got potential! This turned out to be a big-budget epic period drama that was really quite good.

• Aug 21, 2016

With beautiful cinematography and excellent battle sequences that are dazzling and entertaining, Red Cliff is one of John Woo's best works and should be required of action film fans.

• Jun 27, 2016

The best movie on this planet!!! Everything about this movie is outstanding.

The best movie on this planet!!! Everything about this movie is outstanding.

• Apr 07, 2016

The appealing visuals and epic battle scenes make "Red Cliff" worth your time.

The appealing visuals and epic battle scenes make "Red Cliff" worth your time.

• Mar 07, 2016

When I found out that this film was being made I almost wept. The tale of the three kingdoms is one of my favourite stories of all time and it is impeccably shown on the screen by John Woo. The battle scenes in this film make Gladiator and The Lord of the Rings look ordinary.

• Jan 28, 2016

Still legit Woo's best film. Unreal does it no justice (which is why i just bought the 5 hour version)