Remember the Titans - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Remember the Titans Reviews

December 7, 2016
Remember the Titans isn't void of the cliches that one would usually come to expect in a Disney sports biopic but with its inspiring real-life story, terrific performances from Denzel Washington and the rest of the cast and touching drama help make the movie succeed in entertaining viewers of every generation.
November 9, 2016
Denzel! Nothing more to be said!
October 26, 2016
I've seen this movie countless times & it never gets old! Such an amazing story told beautifully well through a greatly done film! Not to mention an outstanding performance from Denzel Washington!
October 26, 2016
If our country would just watch this movie, it would bring everyone together. It's a great example of just how powerful our country could be if everyone came together. Whites, blacks, gays, everyone unites in this movie and having one goal in mind.... Win together!!! Nothing is more powerful than one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for ALL! Watch this movie!!!
½ October 25, 2016
In 1971 a white Southern school in Virginia joins a black school for football season. Remember the Titans starring Denzel Washington, Will Patton, and Wood Horns brings to different races to join together that means a lot to both races.Coach Yoast is the white football leader.Meanwhile Coach Boon is the black football leader who takes over Yoat's job. Gerry Bertier, the team captain,who becomes friends with Julius, showing that having a friendship with people of a different race demonstrates that everyone is equal. Bertier decides to cut Ray, whose racism was hurting the team. The movie shows some strong reactions on how to get along with African Americans and the effect on how to get to know each other before judging.The movie lacked off on going back to the football games and what was happening besides football. I would rate this 4.5 out of 5. Mostly to see it with the family and enjoy some football.
½ October 17, 2016
Remember This Movie-It's a Score!
Remember the Titans is quite simply one of the greatest sports movies ever made. From tensions to touchdowns, the film follows the true story of a high school football team that defies all odds by coming together and overcoming racial differences.
Set in Virginia in the 1970's, the film delves into tensions involving school segregation. A federal mandate to desegregate closed the white and black high schools and students were sent to T.C. Williams High School. Successful football coach Bill Yoast (Will Patton) was replaced by black coach Herman Boone (Denzel Washington) in an attempt to suppress negativity from the community. Coach Boone accepted the position and Yoast grudgingly accepted an assistant coaching position. The initial challenge the athletes faced came while attending training camp, however. Tensions rose and fights broke out, but coach Boone kept his team in check. He forced the team members to spend time together and get to know each other as people rather than colors. A morning run to the Gettysburg battlefield was a reminder that the battle the team was fighting was the same as their ancestors'. Once those racial walls were broken down, the athletes returned home where the real challenge awaited them: the responsibility to exemplify what they had learned.
The film shows racial issues of that time period, but spends more time showing the football team's accomplishments. Nevertheless, the film is still an excellent feel-good movie with emotional scenes between athletes and coaches, the Gettysburg scene being one of the best.
Unlike other sports films that focus on successes and trials of individual athletes (e.g. When the Game Stands Tall or 1000 to 1), Remember the Titans is a comeback story about a team's hardships.
Remember the Titans is a step above other sports films because the historical and emotional lessons it teaches are fantastic. The film is a successful interpretation of societal issues from the 1970s while incorporating a high school football team's story of overcoming adversity.
½ October 15, 2016
A Film Worth Remembering.

Taking place in Virginia, "Remember the Titans" brings the tensions of integration to life. The film follows the struggles of a football fanatic town as their high school, and football team, integrate. Coach Boone, an African American man, is sent in to fill the position of head coach, knocking out, well known and well loved, head coach Yoast. Though the two men faced their own issues of pride and difference in coaching styles, they battle to overcome their differences and develop a bond that will carry over to their players.

Denzel Washington, Coach Boone, encounters racism throughout the entirety of the film. At one point a member of the local black community comes to Boone, asking him to decline the head coach position to keep the town peaceful. Boone responds, "I just can't do that." His wife then walks into the room telling him there's something he needs to see outside. As soon as he steps onto the porch, applause fills the night air. The street was completely filled with members of his community. He stood in awe as they displayed their love and support. The world would do well to learn from Boone's character. We need more people who are willing to not only stand up for what they believe in, but to stand by it - no matter who is trying to push them down. Boone refuses to be bullied or belittled. I'd love to see him and Trump go head to head.

Some of the most monumental moments of the film take place at Boone's boot camp. As the boys are loading the buses, Gerry Bertier, former team captain, approaches Coach Boone telling him who plays which position and that Boone's black players are basically not needed. Boone stands closer to Gerry and in a soft stern voice tells him to take a good long look at his mama because she's not coming on the bus with him. He says, "Now when you get on that bus, you know who your daddy is right? Who's your daddy Gerry?" At this moment, Boone demands respect from the leader of the white half of his new football team. He also establishes that he is a family man, and he fully intends to turn this team into a family. After seating everyone on the bus by position, therefore integrating the buses, Boone announces that the player they are sitting next to will also be their roommate at camp. Gerry Bertier and Julius Campbell, new promising player, find themselves sitting next to each other but have no idea their friendship will become unshakeable, and eventually their example leads not only the team, but the town. The moment their movement starts is after they complete a good play at camp. Gerry excitedly shoves Julius and yells, "LEFT SIDE!" Julius hesitantly looks at Gerry for a moment, then shoves back yelling, "STRONG SIDE!" The chant continues as they grab each other by the jersey and come head to head. Physically, it looks as if they are about to kill each other. They are quite literally butting heads. However, the emotion of this scene is high as it is the first moment that racial barriers truly begin to fall within the team. The two join the forces of their influence to start truly integrating the team.

When the season officially starts, the Titans begin winning games, and the town erupts. It seems nothing could possibly go wrong, but like any good film, "Remember the Titans" calls an audible, that will surely toss the audience the most stressful trick play yet. It will have the audience cheering and crying along with the well developed characters.

Director Boaz Yakin took it to the endzone with this film. Not only was he able to capture the emotion and tension of the time period, he managed to do so in a family friendly way. The film refrains from major profanity and racial terms, if only our presidential candidate could do the same. The film is well paced and well spaced. All in all, this sports drama might be one of Yakin's best films yet.

Although this film is 16 years old, it remains incredibly relevant as our society faces racial and sexual discrimination. We could learn from Boone's integrity, respect, and leadership. It wouldn't hurt for us to brush up on the loyalty, virtue, perseverance and friendship displayed by Gerry and Julius. "Remember the Titans" is indeed worth remembering; many of the issues handled within the film need to be handled in today's world. As viewers follow the movement and growth of their favorite characters, it's no surprise they too will leave with the desire to become better and help make our society one history will want to remember.
½ September 24, 2016
An inspirational film based on a true story of a newly racially integrated school in 1971 Virginia. Once again, Denzel doesn't fail to deliver, but sometimes the film is a bit cheezy or tries too hard to be inspirational. It lacks a certain grit that would more authentically express the racially charged mood of the time. Overall not a bad film, but not stellar either.
½ September 24, 2016
The only thing enjoyable is the actual football parts. I get that it was based off of a true story but it was overly dramatic. The little girl was really annoying and I was tempted to skip the parts she was at.
½ August 13, 2016
Very powerful story. Amazing plot line. Also amazing actors.
July 22, 2016
One of the best movies of all time in my opinion!
July 4, 2016
What started the sappy-sports-made-by-Disney film genre. lol

Everything about the movie was great: the acting, the plot, the music; fine, I've seen this one too many times and I'm on the verge of throwing my TV out when I see it premiere on TBS for the billionth time, but if I took this movie in small doses, I'd be sane. lol
½ July 1, 2016
Great movie! Denzel and Will Patton are great in their roles. Awesome feel-good, sports movie.
June 19, 2016
When in conflict, the only true path to healing comes through empathy. Remember the Titans knows this and, like the sport of football itself, is full of attitude and heart. Washington's commitment to his performance elevates everything and everyone around him, and even though it's corny and not all of the side stories hold water, it does a brilliant job of placing us in the midst of the racial turmoil. And I really think I need to dust my house...
June 14, 2016
Denzel Washington and Will Patton give sensational performances which helps create one of the most spectacular films of our time!
June 12, 2016
One of the best ever. Some points taken off for altered original story, but exceptional movie.
½ May 26, 2016
Una de las primeras peliculas sobre americano que vi, una gran historia llevada de una gran manera, con excelentes actuaciones... definitivamente recomendacion total!
May 16, 2016
May 14, 2016
Is it predictable? Yes, but this is actually one of the only sport movies I like.
May 13, 2016
They didn't say 'who's yo daddy' in the 1960s. Cheerleaders did not do hip-hop moves. They didn't tell yo mama jokes. Surprised no one was saggin. The whole period accuracy thing was idiotic.