Richie Rich - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Richie Rich Reviews

August 5, 2016
Silly adaptation of the famous comic character. Culkin sleepwalks his way through the lead role and seems bored with the material.
May 3, 2016
A kid's dream. saw it on a plane once. actually enjoyed it.
February 23, 2016
I liked it when I was a kid and caught it on tv one night recently and thought it wasn't that bad. Relived a lot of nostalgic memories.
½ January 17, 2016
I liked it almost as much as I didn't. It was fun-ish in parts (from a kids POV), but other parts were head-shaking sighs. A lot of it felt wrong like story and characters and it lacked emotion. Coupe likeable moments, couple funny moments even.
½ December 26, 2015
Utterly rubbish yet I have watched it several times when I was little..
November 29, 2015
This is what old people think kids wanted to see. Kids did not want to see this.
½ August 26, 2015
I enjoyed it when I was a kid, but when I grew up, I finally began to understand why it doesn't hold up that well. You know there is something sinisterly wrong with your film when the protagonist not only doesn't emote that well, but plays out the "Neh neh neh, neh neh neh, I'm better than yoooouuu!"kind of quality! What a little douchebag! From beginning to end, after the villian is put in his place, do you expect this kid to learn anything from this story? Ha! We wish!Yep, skip it!
½ July 31, 2015
Richie Rich is a 1994 family comedy starring Macaulay Culkin and John Larroquette and is about a young rich kid who well, has a few problems. He's basically dirty rich and lives with his pretty nice parents who give him everything he wants, except he kind of wants to play with other kids from the street rather than the private school friends he has. The film is one of those one's you can imagine watching on a Sunday afternoon, and this can be enjoyed too but maybe it just isn't so clinical.

The comedy side of the movie is really kind of non existent, it tries it really does but by the end your kind of feeling disappointed. The story I'll give it is not boring, it has it's moments where you actually are maybe rooting for Richie and his fellow friends and butler(Jonathan Hyde), but in truth it's hard to like Culkin. Our main star in this is just too unbelievable and wastes any talent he has by being a dull main character, top that also with a poor script and you have Macaulay Culkin acting and sounding like some kind of badly built robot actor.

Donald Petrie directs and he is pretty average really, doesn't do enough to make the story or actors better but also the general direction Is just well, not done well enough really. Now I'm not the biggest fan of these kind of comedies, in fact most I watch I don't expect much in terms of laughter, and here is another example. One thing I am trying to say though is that this didn't bore me strangely, I mean it is still a pretty bad movie but at times interesting.

Listen this is the kind of movie where at times it tries to flash it's crazy gadgets and cool rich persons items, but only really succeeds in making us the slightest bit interested in the ending. And on that point the end, actually not too bad but followed up just too poor a beginning and middle, Culkin also seems to get better but when he is sad, he just can't act at all!. Now don't watch this and expect to hate it, some could definitely enjoy it, some will hate, but always remember if this movie made you laugh because this movie labels itself as a comedy.

And what about the other cast?, well not everyone is necessarily bad, Jonathan Hyde as the butler is pretty good and when he features the film can be a slight bit more interesting. John Larroquette as the scheming "Van Dough" is also not that bad, should have played into the jokes a bit more and maybe even have been a bit more in to what he is actually doing, kind of looks bored in this movie really.

So overall a movie I found to be well, just not good really, it isn't awful just not acceptable, the kind of movie only a few will like but at least there isn't only one person who likes it. If you like your family comedies you may enjoy it, Culkin has really grown up too much for Home Alone fans to come a knocking but still if your a big fan of his then sure, give this a go.
June 2, 2015
Not the greatest attempt on the evercool Richie rich franchise but not a bad attempt. It's always fun to see the movie
April 21, 2015
The comic had a sense of wonderment with this you just why the hell they made this garbage.
March 1, 2015
It's funny what passed for quality when I was seven-years-old. I remembered this movie fondly, but yikes. Sure, it wins a little for nostalgia... but Richie Rich is clearly a movie for children.... and not adults who enjoyed it as children.
February 23, 2015
Can't Believe anyone who thinks you need to be a Kid to like this, I personally love this film, only seen it 4 or 5 times, but I think it not only my favourite Culkin flick, but Jonathan Hyde as Cadbury is the star Role here, holding considerable grace and elegance as the charming yet rather Stiff upper lipped Butler.

The Film has a lovely retro satellite system like an ancient funk Sat nav system which I love and the very real theme of Billionaires who don't want to take for themselves but to help others, with the greedy, cruel, Morally Questionable role being the main Villain. It's Campy, Silly and Sweet, not to be taken with a good amount of Academic understanding, just to be taken as non serious silly pomp esque fun.

The overall Moral is Money can't buy you friends I guess, the great responsibility of Being a billionaire and the Sacrifices one has to make such as a proper childhood, Richi's Corporate 'friends' are more the stereotypical representation of the next Brown noses in training, but our protagonist just longs for games of baseball, and to use his lonely theme park, Quad bikes and Fast food outlet with real friends and embark on some sense of Adventure, and get's just a little more than he Bargained for.

It's a Done and Done again routine, but the setting really brings about a jolly feeling as if we are actually looking into the childhood Life of someone else with a big house and a butler....Bruce Wayne?? lol, but seriously, If you forget your 'adult holding' sit back and just be a kid, this is a humorous, charming, Wacky little Film :) .
January 23, 2015
I actually really enjoyed this movie, it has heart, family and friendship all combining to create a one of a kind film. The acting was really good, love Culkin as Richie Rich, the plot progressed slowly, but makes quite an impact on the characters. I recommend this movie for young kids as adults might not find the humor to be funny
January 4, 2015
Saw this for the first time and really enjoyed. Just what was needed on a relaxing sunday. good family film.
½ November 28, 2014
Richie Rich is a surprisingly fun family film with plenty of charm about it
½ November 23, 2014
This is one of my old school favorites. It has some great laughs and good wholesome story. Surprisingly has a little action too, something the whole family to enjoy.
½ November 22, 2014
Good for the kids. Nothing spectacular
November 17, 2014
Classic 90's family movie. Movie has aged very well. Still funny.
November 16, 2014
As flat as the script pages this was made from. It has a very plush look though.