Roman de gare - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Roman de gare Reviews

January 7, 2016
This is a very good movie, although it does become a bit "long" and somewhat confusing near the end.
½ June 7, 2013
Twisty, meta and suspenseful. A mystery lover's dream come true.
June 7, 2013
a tale spun by a pair of complex lenses which focused on the flaws and motives of each character...
½ June 4, 2013
Entertaining mystery about crossed fates and ghost writing.
December 11, 2012
Although heavy on character development and slow in pace, this thriller keeps you guessing all along the way,and certainly keeps you interesting.
June 12, 2012
This French thriller-drama seemed like it had a predictable plot in the beginning. Luckily, it has more to offer than just a suspense. It is a French production after all, directed by the now-senior Claude Lelouch.
March 15, 2012
I love it when I can't guess what will happen next in a film. Roman de Gare's clever plot twists kept me intrigued, along with excellent acting and a good dose of humor.
October 11, 2011
french film with subtitles. good movie. some parts are predictable, but overall suspensefull.
½ September 13, 2011
An exceptionnally well-written thriller that kept me glued to the screen, despite a familiar story-line.
½ August 29, 2011
As a fan of violent and disturbing films, I didn't expect myself to enjoy this film as much as I did. 7/10
July 23, 2011
The plot is a little too self consciously clever but still entertaining and intriguing right up to the end.
½ May 4, 2011
Although it is classified as a thriller, it is certainly a very different type of thriller with several little twists. Quite enthralling though and an interesting concept.
May 4, 2011
A quirky entertaining French film filled with enough plot twists and interesting characters to keep you watching. Why not Dominique Pinon is in it!
½ April 22, 2011
Lots of twists and turns that were played out in a very clever, interesting and subtle way that keep you wanting to know what's going to happen next and how will it all conclude.
February 15, 2011
At the end of act one we discover the answers to many of the film's questions: is this guy a rapist on the run, a ghost writer, or a man abandoning his family? Structurally, this is awfully early to answer so many questions that have such import on the ensuing action. But the rest of the film does not disappoint. Despite its structural flaws, it's still able to re-invent itself as it moves along. Exceptional performances by he of the interesting-looking face, Dominique Pinon, and Audrey Dana, who plays the emotionally damaged but still somehow indomitable Huguette, keep us caring about these characters no matter what story imprisons them.
½ February 6, 2011
A trick too many, but cute nevertheless. With Dominique Pinon as the lead actor, it felt more like a comedy than a thriller.
½ January 14, 2011
A french thriller from director Claude Lelouch (he's directed 51 films!) which is my first viewing of his work here. A solid script and cast about deception. Judith Ralitzer has just released her book God, The Other to critical acclaim. The critics are saying it's much better than her last book and she's asked where her inspiration comes from and she says "God might have whispered to me". Meanwhile there's a couple having a terrible fight in a car going to the woman's relatives having an engagement dinner. The dj interrupts the song to say that a serial killer has just escaped so be on the lookout for a man that will use magic to lure the victim in. The couple stop at a gas station where both are yelling at each other, finally the man drives off and leaves her there. She walks in to the gas station, crying. There's a man there that tries to cheer her up by showing her a magic trick. He offers her a ride.......This all happens within probably the first 15 or so minutes. What follows is a few surprises for the viewer that you may or may not see coming. Solid cast from what looks to me like veterans after looking at IMDB. Dominique Pinon has 129 acting credits while Fanny Ardant (Judith Ralitzer) has 71, Audrey Dana (the girl in the car, Huguette) has 15 (she's only 31). This one moves at a slower rate as a lot of foreign thrillers do but if you have the patience you will be pleasantly surprised. Recommended to lovers of these kinds of movies.
½ January 13, 2011
Great performances. It is not so much about the mystery, but about the characters.
½ December 31, 2010
Although it was classified as a thriller, it wasn't very thrilling for me. But, it was certainly a very intelligent movie, with polished actors and a clever storyline. They give all the details at first and tie them all together at the end, with a twist here and there. Definitely makes it on my list of top French favorites.