Rules Don't Apply - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Rules Don't Apply Reviews

August 16, 2017
Well acted, particularly by Warren Beatty, but not especially thrilling or very revealing about the problems Howard Hughes dealt with. Mental illness though does deserve the rather understanding touch this film lent him.
July 5, 2017
LOVED the first hour. Started going all over the place and got a little weird, but enjoyed it enough. Loved the old cars, clothes & music!
½ July 5, 2017
Demasiado larga para una pelìcula de este gènero, lo mejor la ambientaciòn de la època dorada de Hollywood.
½ June 26, 2017
A film director, his actress and her driver!

I kind of felt deja vu. I don't remember the title, but it was similar to this from the recent time, where it revolves around a taxi driver and a woman who wanted to be an actress. In this the distinct feature was the Beatty's role. After returning from the retirement, he's in business now. Directing it, as well as in one of the prominent characters. An 80 years old and still has left lots of spark in him. It was really a great comeback, yet the film is not fully convincing. Even though an enjoyable one, particularly for the awesome performances by all.

The film was about Howard Hughes, but I don't know whether it is a biopic or just inspired by. Anyway, it was in the backdrop of Hollywood film industry. The story takes place between three characters, including a driver, film director and a wanted to be an actress. Triangular romance, but not exactly a romance film. Everything was drama, on the struggles between their professions. Often the narration jumps off to Hughes other business affairs. Overall, it comes back to the original path and takes us to the conclusion.

A very slow screenplay. I'm used to such kind of narration, so I did not find any hard to finish it off. But it won't be same for others, especially if you are not interested in what the film plot deals with. And it is over two hours long. It covered everything it wanted to tell us. They should have avoided them, to make the film a bit quick which would have worked in its favour. Beatty is a very conscious man. Look at the Oscars, he knew the error, but while having a doubt, his partner hurried and announced the winner. I hope he makes another film very soon and stun everybody who criticised this one.

5/10
½ June 16, 2017
"It has finely-tuned performances from the two young leads and it's nice to see Warren Beatty back on the big screen but "Rules Don't Apply" feels like a recycled version of Hollywood's golden age."
DVD Movie Review: Rules Don't Apply
Date Viewed: March 18 2017
Directed By Warren Beatty (Heaven Can Wait, Reds, Dick Tracy and Bulworth)
Screenplay By Warren Beatty, Story By Warren Beatty and Bo Goldman
Starring: Warren Beatty, Lily Collins, Alden Ehrenreich, Annette Bening, Alec Baldwin, Matthew Broderick, Haley Bennett, Candice Bergen, Steve Coogan, Dabney Coleman, Megan Hilty, Ed Harris, Oliver Platt, Martin Sheen, Paul Sorvino, Taissa Farmiga, Amy Madigan, Paul Schneider, Chace Crawford, Patrick Fischler, Ron Perkins and Peter Mackenzie.

Warren Beatty's "Rules Don't Apply" is another love letter to Hollywood's golden years but it's not as witty or smart as the Coen brothers' "Hail, Caesar!" from last year. It has finely-tuned performances from the two young leads and it's nice to see Warren Beatty back on the big screen but "Rules Don't Apply" feels like a recycled version of Hollywood's golden age. Don't get me wrong, I love these types of movies but Beatty who makes his first screen appearance in 15 years as well as his first writing and directing effort since 1998's "Bulworth" never makes the case into why we should care about this story which is in tune to those classic Hollywood love stories from six decades ago.

Mostly set around Hollywood in 1958, the story follows Marla Mabrey (Lily Collins), a small town beauty queen and devout baptist from Virginia who dreams of becoming a famous actress. She and her strict mother, Lucy (Beatty's wife, Annette Bening) get picked up by her personal driver, Frank Forbes (Alden Ehrenreich) and he drives them to her new lavish home which was paid for by the aging billionaire Howard Hughes (Beatty) and his associates.

Marla wants to know more about her upcoming screen test but she has yet to meet Hughes and her strict mother warns her about Hughes' past history with younger women and how other men treat women in the Hollywood industry. When Marla finally does meet Hughes, he asks for just one rule, young actresses who are put in his contract are not allowed to have imitate relationships with Hughes' employees.

As Frank enters into a business venture with Hughes, he starts having affections for Marla but their personal relationship faces two difficult obstacles, Hughes' rule of not getting imitate with any his fellow actresses and plus he has a fiancée (Taissa Farmiga) waiting for him back home. The relationship between Frank and Marla despite it being screwball and formulaic is well told, the costumes are nice to look at and the scenery of late 50's Hollywood is impressive but Warren Beatty is kind of a sour thumb as Howard Hughes. He nails his seductive charm and pure wittiness but what's missing in Beatty's performance is substance. Leonardo DiCaprio had substance when he played Hughes in "The Aviator" but sadly that's not case with Beatty in this film.

"Rules Don't Apply" also has a big piñata of recognizable players including Matthew Broderick, Alec Baldwin, Candice Bergen, Steve Coogan, Ed Harris, Martin Sheen, Oliver Platt, Paul Sorvino and even Dabney Coleman but several of them don't have much to do. Alden Ehrenreich who will be playing Han Solo in a future Star Wars Anthology film is suave and likeable as the chauffeur who falls in love with an aspiring actress and Lily Collins who I criticized for a long time actually gives a fine performance as Marla whose religious and working beliefs are put to the test when she enters into a forbidden relationship with her personal driver. Lily Collins may have been the daughter of famous singer Phil Collins but the real-life Hollywood establishment didn't have the heart to cast her in good roles so she was placed in crappy garbage such as "Abduction", "Priest", "Mirror Mirror" and "The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones".

I admire Warren Beatty for coming back and making a love story that takes place in the heart of Hollywood's golden age but "Rules Don't Apply" feels too long and it should've been a more deeper and satisfying movie than this.
½ June 8, 2017
It was kind of like, "Which way are we going with this (story)?" (a) Is it a love story painted on the huge Hughes canvas or is it (b) seeing a story about Hughes entering his reclusive phase and the collateral damage from so large a force-field. Well, this movie is both & neither and suffers from 20-mins too much indecision on the matter. But the recreation of the era has potential, is nicely cinematographed by Zooey Deschanel's dad, and is interesting to see - along with a very good cast who are underutilized & therefore don't really shine, except maybe Lily Collins with a low voltage glow. Beatty needs to hire a first-rate director & editor to direct him in his movie(s). The Hughes crack-up seems to follow the Brown & Broeske biography: "Howard Hughes: The Untold Story." Today clinicians say Hughes would be diagnosed as a severe Obsessive-Compulsive with a touch of ADHD & a dash of bi-polar. And he sure did keep young women warehoused in the bungalows at the Bev Hills Hotel with promises & prevarication.

So, the Beatty movie was OK; wanted to like it more.
May 3, 2017
Great time at times in America,it could show little be more,plus all the great stuff. But it's not,such a shame,the story also could goes in different directions,hmmmm....
May 2, 2017
The movie could have easily been an hour movie. Too many unnecessary things like dialogue and subplots and too inconsistent.
April 30, 2017
Good film. Lily Collins is adorable.
½ April 30, 2017
I had hopes for this film & quite intriguing since the Aviator 2004 focused on the glory days this Warren Beatty film followed his darker & later years.

But this truly a bland offering & although Hughes was such a extraordinary figure this film was far from extraordinary. The story of a young actress contracted by Hughes.

Quite flat & lacked appeal, quite a shame cause this could have been a terrific film.
April 29, 2017
Bizarre....one star for Lily Collins and one for Aiden Ehrenreich....but the rest was just bizarre ??
April 28, 2017
This film is worth seeing just in order to see a great actor and clever director at work.
April 22, 2017
More humorous than I expected. It's kind of a mess, but I still admire Beatty's bizarre vision.
April 7, 2017
Well acted. Good costumes and appropriate cinematography. Generally interesting, but not much more than that.
March 31, 2017
Maybe it was the fact that I watched this on a red eye flight but BOY was this movie incoherent.

In one corner you have the story of a good Christian upstart who wants to be an actress but just needs a push of confidence!

Then there's her driver who's also a good Christian upstart who wants to get into real estate and make something of himself and get with aforementioned young woman.

Then they both give into temptation and get hot and heavy and chaste and realize. No- there's too much at stake here. You have a steady girlfriend at home and I'm a virgin!

And you might be like wow what a compelling and innocent love story. But no wait, in come Warren Beatty doing his best Howard Hughes impersonation and SURPRISE this entire movie is about Howard Hughes!! He literally sticks his dick in the virgin chick, hires the good Christian boy as his assistant, totally fucks up THAT budding romance, and also does a buncha wacky shit because he's CrAzY HoWaRD~*~*~*!!!

Like, dude, Warren. Pick a film. Either your lame romance movie with best-part-of-Hail-Caesar Alden Ehrenreich and Ms Eyebrows or just redo The Aviator. Can't have both, dawg.
March 30, 2017
Although it was great to see Warren Beatty (looking good) in a movie again and Annette Bening (briefly), what was Beatty thinking? (Yes, and that is Candice Bergen has Huges' secretary)
March 27, 2017
I kindda dislike character like this Howard Hughes, just because he has a good reputation (famous person/have a say in Hollywood) he make people around him sucked in to his lunatic behaviour (bizzare world), i understand that it's his personality and in a way he just protecting himself from people who wants to take an advantage from his wealth (maybe) but yeah i don't know, you'll see me bewlidered if i ever encounter someone like this and go as far away as i can, just too confusing to comprehend..hehe
½ March 25, 2017
Asides from the pleasant 60s aesthetic of the film, Rules Don't Apply is a discombobulated mess in every conceivable way. The story is all over the place with too many plots and subplots that don't cohesively fuse to create a proper motion picture. There's also no romance nor comedy so it's baffling to decipher the genre of this boring and uninteresting movie where I was annoyed trying to understand who exactly I'm supposed to be rooting for: the naive actress, the unlikable driver, or the insane old man.
½ March 19, 2017
A shame for Warren Beatty!