Rush - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Rush Reviews

½ September 4, 2017
As an F1 fan, I love it. As a movie fan, I love it.
September 3, 2017
Great performances and thrilling race scenes make for a very entertaining and informative movie. The final scenes are particularly moving. Definitely one for the boys. GGN. dh
½ August 21, 2017
8.5/10 Excellent. Great photography, acting and recreating vividly that era. A gem.
½ August 20, 2017
SCOTT: (Dr. Scott Allison, Professor of Psychology, University of Richmond) Greg, I m fascinated that they would make a movie about Rush Limbaugh.

GREG: (Greg Smith, Founder of Agile Writers of Richmond, VA) It s not a movie about the Right, it s about going in circles to the Left!

SCOTT: Bahaha, good one, Greg. Rush is the story of the rivalry during the 1970s between two Formula 1 drivers, James Hunt (Chris Hemsworth) and Niki Lauda (Daniel Br hl). The movie opens with the two of them bumping cars during a 1970 Formula 3 race in England. Hunt wins the race but Lauda is outraged by Hunt s disregard for safety. Lauda then borrows a large sum of money that enables him to make it to the big time of Formula 1. Hunt also joins a Formula 1 team and the two men resume their rivalry on the big stage.

GREG: Hunt is a playboy. He is out for a good time. He wants to have fun. And the only thing he wants more than to have fun is to win. Lauda is meticulous, methodical, and rigorous. The only thing he wants is to win. These two men have the same goals in mind, but they have two different ways to get it. And it is these differences that make up the conflict in this movie.

SCOTT: Greg, Rush is an impressive movie with an impeccable cast and outstanding direction from Ron Howard. I can t imagine two better actors for the roles of Hunt and Lauda. These two men remind me of fire and ice, two contrasting styles reminiscent of Kirk and Spock in Star Trek. The resulting tension between Hunt and Lauda, both on and off the track, is pure sizzle and spark. It s rare to see such a powerful rivalry between two sports celebrities portrayed so well on film.

GREG: Scott, we saw this last week in Prisoners. Two men with the same goal but with opposite ways of approaching it. Lauda is hands-on all the way. Off the track, he works day and night preparing his car. He uses the latest materials, trims every ounce to make his car lighter and faster. On the track, he observes every rule and plays up to but not over the margins of safety. Hunt, on the other hand, is very hands off. He expects his team to work the details of his car and the business of running the race. When the race is over, he s off drinking and carousing leaving Lauda to go home to his dutiful wife. During the race, Hunt crosses the line from safe to reckless - doing whatever it takes to pass the next racer and win the race.

SCOTT: You note the resemblance to last week s movie Prisoners, but I see some important differences. In Prisoners, the two heroes share the same goal of catching an abductor, but in Rush there is a clear and intense competition between two heroes whose goals are in conflict. Plus, in Rush we see our two hero-celebrities over time develop a grudging respect for each other. In fact, I d say that this growing mutual admiration is an important element of their character transformations during their hero journeys. The pivotal moment in Hunt s development occurs when he punches a reporter who disrespects Lauda during a press conference. Prior to this moment we see only hatred from Hunt toward Lauda, but Lauda s recovery has forever changed Hunt s opinion of Lauda. And of course the key transformational moment for Lauda takes place in the hospital when he shows remarkable resilience in the face of debilitating injury. Watching these two men change and grow in many ways -- as drivers, as husbands, as businessmen, and as rivals -- is a sheer joy to watch.

GREG: What Scott is referring to is a story element that is in all the trailers, but occurs late in the film. Lauda, against his better judgement, enters into a race and has a terrible accident where he is burned all over his body and face. Lauda undergoes painful surgeries to recover soon enough to get back into the race season and contend with Hunt for the cup. What I walk away with from this movie is how much these men come to admire each other and still maintain their own styles. Lauda is ever analyzing and refining his craft. Hunt is constantly looking to have fun while he can. But each learns that the other s way of approaching the race has its merits. Another buddy-hero story I m reminded of is Bill Gates and Steve Jobs who had different ways of approaching the computer industry (Gates in favor of open systems and Jobs favoring closed systems). In the end there is a grudging admiration of the other.

SCOTT: I like that Gates-Jobs analogy a lot, Greg, and perhaps the recent film Jobs would have been a more effective movie if it had focused more on that rivalry with the same effectiveness as Rush. Ron Howard deserves great credit for telling a great dual-hero story that anyone can appreciate, even people like me who have no interest in auto racing. The key is to create compelling, multi-dimensional characters whom we care about and who undergo significant transformation. This was done to near perfection in Rush.

GREG: Rush is why I go to the movies. I fell right into the lives of these two men. I felt the power of racing and the will to win. I came to admire what each man offered and could see myself in their places. When I look back on Rush and wonder what could have been done better, I can t think of a single thing. The film lasted 123 minutes and I wanted more when the story was done. And this is nothing less than what you d expect from a Ron Howard film. Every detail of the story was attended to: from the 70 s look and feel, to the speeding cars, to the realistic crashes. I was hooked from the beginning. For easily one of the best films we ve seen this year, I give Rush 5 out of 5 Reels. And for telling a two-handed story with precision and style, I give Rush 5 out of 5 Heroes. Movie: Heroes:

SCOTT: I thoroughly enjoyed Rush and am happy to award it 4 Reels out of 5 and 4 Heroes out of 5. The reason I am hesitant to give the full 5 Reels and 5 Heroes is based on my belief that seeking to become the best car racer in the world is much more a quest for personal glory than it is a heroic quest. Last week I gave Prisoners two 5 ratings because the heroic goal was to save lives. We see no such virtuous goal in Rush. Still, I agree, Greg, that Rush is one of the best films of the year. The two main characters are celebrities, not heroes, but it s still a riveting and impeccably-told story. The performances were exemplary all-around and I anticipate an Oscar nomination for Best Director for Ron Howard. Movie: Heroes:
August 18, 2017
A well crafted character story that may be Ron Howard's best film to date.

Two-time Academy Award (R) winner Ron Howard (A Beautiful Mind, Frost/Nixon) teams once again with two-time Academy Award (R)-nominated writer Peter Morgan (Frost/Nixon, The Queen) on Rush, a spectacular big-screen re-creation of the merciless and legendary 1970s Formula 1 rivalry between gifted English playboy James Hunt (Chris Hemsworth of The Avengers, Thor) and his disciplined Austrian opponent, Niki Lauda (Daniel Brühl of Inglourious Basterds, The Bourne Ultimatum).

I'll be honest, this was the first Ron Howard film I had ever seen in my young life. It left an amazing impression on me, to the point where I praised Ron Howard and his ability to drive character development. Then, I watched some of his other films and I wondered, was this really his only huge highlight? Whether it is or not, it has nothing to do with the fact that "Rush" is an amazing film that does nothing but good.

The thing that I love about this film is its character study. This is based on the true story between drivers James Hunt and Niki Lauda, who had the biggest rivalry in Formula 1 racing at the time. It's amazing how Ron Howard told this story, as there were no real protagonists or antagonists. You have two polar opposite people, who act differently and view things differently, but they have the same goal in mind. You see their upbringings and downfalls and in the end, you can see that they're both just people with dreams. They each have their flaws for sure, but it's easy to cheer for both of them and want them to succeed.

None of this could've been accomplished without our two main actors. Both Hemsworth and Bruhl put up some of their best performances to date. They each, respectively, bring out the personality and drive of their real life portrayals. I felt like I really got to know who these people were and what they did in their life. That's due to their ability to play their roles and bring that emotional drive with them.

I feel like when directors and / or producers look to tell the story of someone's biography or a true event, this would be a great example of that. Like I've said multiple times, both Ron Howard and the cast know how to tell a story about characters. The story is filled with interesting character conflict and it's done so well that you don't necessarily see either side as the villain (because neither side is the villain). It's really hard to accomplish that in a film and if you automatically side with Hemsworth because he's more recognizable, you're just being stubborn. This is such a well made film and I have to give it credit for that.

In the end, I truly thought this movie was amazing. This is how you should tell a story and how you should execute it. I really don't have any gripes with this film and in fact, I though it was near perfect.
July 30, 2017
Thor gets his driver's license.
July 18, 2017
Really enjoyed this but then I'm a F1 fan...
July 18, 2017
"Rush" is a simply terrific film about a fantastic sports rivalry and how two individuals so different in nature eventually begin to complement each other's existence. Ron Howard is in top form.
July 13, 2017
Probably the best racing movie I've seen. Rush is a well-made sports movie with adrenaline filled racing scenes and solid performances from its two leads Chris Hemsworth and Daniel Bruhl.
June 26, 2017
An entertaining movie with two solid performances
June 18, 2017
Highly recommended ! An amazing Ron Howard picture based on a true story. Hans Zimmers Tracks are stunning ...
June 7, 2017
The movie that changed my life, inspired me and made me fall in love with movies
June 6, 2017
True stories about real race car drivers!!!
April 29, 2017
One awesome adrenaline packed racing movie!! Chris Hemsworth delivered. Highly Recommended!!
April 3, 2017
Very interesting biography of racing! I enjoyed it!
March 27, 2017
Ron Howard does his best work when adapting real stories and Rush is the best thing he's done since Frost/Nixon. The chemistry between the character is as electric as the race sequences, which are, themselves, the best in film history. You are with Hunt or Lauda in the driver's seat, and when Lauda burns you burn with him.
March 18, 2017
This was a really good movie! It had a great message. It was a little crude and had a lot of sex and drugs but it was a good movie.
March 12, 2017
Quite a thrilling and intense ride. Interesting story of a great and relentless rivalry. Niki Laura had a kind and positive attitude and view of their friendship.
½ March 9, 2017
I suppose the driving scenes are good enough for Hollywood, and the story is a great (and true) one, but not as thrilling as actually driving or watching a race.
March 9, 2017