Safety Last! Reviews

• Sep 28, 2020

The climbing sequence is what really makes this otherwise fairly rote slapstick comedy. I got a touch of vertigo on some of the ledge scenes myself!

• Sep 28, 2020

Safety Last! is a unique taste of movie with an amazing cast, music, direction, and story. The most famous scene, which is the main character climbing from a clock tower, is the best cinematic scene ever made. I know that this movie is old, but I don't give a damn about it. This movie is a classic movie for anyone who likes to have a career in movies. Overall, Saftey Last! will gasp you so hard that you will lose tons of oxygen.

• Aug 23, 2020

No need for words in this silent comedy classic!

No need for words in this silent comedy classic!

• Jul 28, 2020

Pretty standard silent comedy from Harold Lloyd, with a timeless, unforgettable third act. The setup is basic enough; it's the well-worn yarn of an ambitious young go-getter who moves to the city and finds that getting rich quick isn't quite as easy as he'd expected. He puts on an act for correspondence, boasting of a high-dollar lifestyle and shipping gifts to his girl while rent on his meager apartment goes unpaid; unwittingly spinning himself a flimsy web that tangles when the aforementioned love interest pops in for an unannounced visit. That leads to a few good bits of physical comedy, some crafty sleight of hand, several near-misses, but the premise drags after a while and the action is too often interrupted by unnecessary title cards. It's only when he stumbles into a chance to actually make that long-sought bank, climbing the face of a twelve-story building as a promotional stunt, that the picture really hits its stride and jumps to a new level. Lloyd is incredible in these scenes, expertly toying with our anticipation and tempting fate with every step. He teeters on the brink (and even tumbles over the edge) countless times, always with a new gimmick or snare to up the ante, while the spectacular camera angles ensure that a crucial, cringing sense of risk is never lost. I'd say the special effects hold up astonishingly for a century-old picture, but these weren't really effects at all. Though a misstep may not have led to *certain* death (a flimsy scaffold, just out of frame, allegedly provided some peace of mind), Lloyd was really gripping that skyscraper a hundred feet in the air, with an expansive view of 1920s Los Angeles spread out behind him. The gamble pays off; thanks to the seamless view, our subconscious worry makes for more nail-biting peril and quicker laughs when that tension is, momentarily, diffused. As a package, Safety Last is entertaining and well-made, but maybe not a top-notch example of the era. That last act, though, earns every last one of the callbacks and tributes it's been paid over the years.

• Apr 20, 2020

My all time favorite Silent Movie ever made.

My all time favorite Silent Movie ever made.

• Apr 14, 2020

Innovative and unpredictable

Innovative and unpredictable

• Feb 20, 2020

Harold Lloyd slips between the cracks as a master of physical comedy in the silent era when compared to the modern status of Chaplin and Keaton, but he was just as capable as either, and it shows here. (4.5/5)

• Nov 15, 2019

This day could not get any worse for this guy!

This day could not get any worse for this guy!

• Aug 22, 2019

看得我恐高症犯了……虽然我知道他是怎么拍的……以及,这片子的版权到底在米高梅还是百代?

看得我恐高症犯了……虽然我知道他是怎么拍的……以及,这片子的版权到底在米高梅还是百代?

• Dec 11, 2018

Think it takes a modern film to truly thrill you? I dare you to watch the climbing sequence of this movie without gasping, shrieking, and straight up screaming. I certainly did. And I enjoyed every perfect second of it.