Saving Private Ryan - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Saving Private Ryan Reviews

August 18, 2017
The best war film I have ever seen.....
August 11, 2017
Saving Private Ryan has taught a lot about how awful war is. Director Steven Spielberg, did a phenomenal job on portraying how gruesome and violent war is. Especially in the opening scene when the American troops are occupying Omaha Beach on D Day. The D Day scene of the movie was very surreal and it felt like as if the audience was in the battle. With artillery shells going off, machine gun bullets whizzing by, and seeing all the violence go on, it just seemed like a really scary but accurate portrayal of D Day. Many Allied troops died on D Day, yet it was the turning point of the war.Overall director Steven Spielberg did a wonderful job on creating this film. The movie covered on all points of how war can be so horrible. War is not only horrible because of mass casualties, but it is also horrible because of our own connections and feelings. Throughout this movie I felt like I built some type of emotional connection to each of the characters, and seeing the tragic events unfold made me realize that war is not only bad because of killing, it is also awful because we lose people that can mean something to us. With that being said, many young men, just getting out of high school were being sent to fight this war, but behind each and every one of them, there's someone who cares and loves them, like a family. Which is exactly the story behind Private Ryan, he was the last of the brothers in the family.

In the movie, all of the Ryan brothers die except for Private Ryan. He was the last man alive in the family to carry on the name. The main focus of the movie jumps right into action after the D Day scene when eight American troops are assigned to save Private Ryan, the last of the four brothers alive in the family, and bring him home. Many challenges are yet to be seen on these soldiers' journey to find this young man, and in the unfortunate fate of war, some of the soldiers will die on their way to find the Private. Throughout the whole movie, and even up to finding Private Ryan, we see a series of unfortunate events unfold, and once the group of men find Private Ryan, the plot becomes even more climatic, as the German forces close in om the American troops.

Saving Private Ryan was one of those movies that I could connect with so well, it tells a unique story and shows us all that war is awful. In fact, many people avoided watching this movie due to all of the gore and violence that was shown. It also taught me as an individual to appreciate our vets more, because without them our country wouldn't be where it is today. Steven Spielberg did such a fantastic job on covering the aspects of war, and as well as focusing on the plot of the movie
½ August 9, 2017
Excellent movie. One of the best war films ever made.
Rating: 8.9/10.
August 5, 2017
Saving Private Ryan may be flawed, but it's still a suitable showcase for the combined talents of Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg.
August 1, 2017
This movie definitely deserves an A+. This is for sure the best war movie of all time. Tom Hanks makes such an amazing performance. Quite disturbing, but it's magnificent. Matt Damon is such a great actor. Edward Burns is terrific. And Tom Sizemore is great at playing a Sergeant. This movie is one of the best.
July 30, 2017
Probably the greatest war movie of all time. Tom Hanks plays his role perfectly and his chemistry with the rest of the cast could not have been better. Steven Spielbergs telling of a D-Day story is tense, frighteningly realistic and moving all at the same time.
½ July 27, 2017
Perhaps the greatest the genre has every offered!
July 22, 2017
it is an spectacular movie,with awesome action scenes and a very deep feeling about war
July 21, 2017
Bloody, violent, grim, bloody, sad, and bloody; bloody brilliant that is.
July 17, 2017
Nothing captures true war than Saving Private Ryan
July 17, 2017
One of my all time favorite movies. Almost 20 years later and it still is fantastic
½ July 11, 2017
Best war epic film to date
July 9, 2017
Thhe best movie ever based on World War II
½ July 8, 2017
an excellent film but i dont agree with its consistent standings as one of the greatest films ever made and the best war movie ever made.
probably just about top 10.
i personally prefer enemy at the gates.
i also find the story a bit pointless and dissapointing.i know thats obviously not the case for there mum but you find yourself asking why and you never really get an answer through watching the film.
although this film does probably depict dday on the beaches of normandy better than anything else youve ever seen.
July 6, 2017
this is the best war movie I have ever seen!!!!
½ July 4, 2017
The opening scene of the soldiers landing on Omaha Beach on D Day is amazing.
June 25, 2017
Just watched this again, such an epic movie!!
½ June 25, 2017
Hands down best war film ever made. It shows the brutality and horrors of war perfectly.
June 24, 2017
Not only is the opening scene one of the greatest action scenes ever filmed, Saving Private Ryan poses an interesting question: 'When is one life more important than the other?'
½ June 18, 2017
The first 20 minutes is a riveting show of the battle on Omaha beach. Tom Hanks is excellent during the entire movie as are most of the cast. The problem is everything happens to this platoon. The movie becomes an unbelievable story. The directing can be heavy handed - the little girl in danger, the scared novice, the fight in the platoon and so forth. It's a cinematic movie that uses realism such as hand held camera work to pretend to be a documentary when it's no more realistic than a John Wayne war movie.