Saving Private Ryan - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Saving Private Ryan Reviews

June 25, 2017
Just watched this again, such an epic movie!!
½ June 25, 2017
Hands down best war film ever made. It shows the brutality and horrors of war perfectly.
June 24, 2017
Not only is the opening scene one of the greatest action scenes ever filmed, Saving Private Ryan poses an interesting question: 'When is one life more important than the other?'
½ June 18, 2017
The first 20 minutes is a riveting show of the battle on Omaha beach. Tom Hanks is excellent during the entire movie as are most of the cast. The problem is everything happens to this platoon. The movie becomes an unbelievable story. The directing can be heavy handed - the little girl in danger, the scared novice, the fight in the platoon and so forth. It's a cinematic movie that uses realism such as hand held camera work to pretend to be a documentary when it's no more realistic than a John Wayne war movie.
June 7, 2017
I really like this show, but it feels a little long.
June 4, 2017
Beautiful film, one of Spielberg's best. emotionally and visionally stunning
½ June 1, 2017
I used to say that I didn't like war movies, and when my husband wanted to watch Saving Private Ryan on Memorial Day I was reluctant to agree, especially after seeing that it's close to 3 hours long. I was so wrong about this movie. I ugly-cried through about half of it, and the comedic moments were perfectly timed and made the characters very personable. It's a fantastic movie and I will definitely watch it again.
May 23, 2017
A few more disembowlments then I would prefer, but what the hell.
May 16, 2017
i loved this movie! in the begining it was about d day it was really cool but sad when i watch this i thoght about all the soilders that gave up there lives to give US freedom
½ May 13, 2017
Perhaps the most violent, savage and sadistic depiction of one of bloodiest battles of World War II, the D-Day of the Normandy Invasion in France is recreated in this movie, as the mission to recover the last of 4 brothers takes place. It is a story of deep sorrow and loss, but of great bravery. Winner of 5 Academy Awards from 11 nominations and Baftas and Golden Globes and many more.
It certainly highlights the fact that WAR is an awful nasty business that shouldn't exist.
May 3, 2017
A good war film that adds in history of the Normandy landings with a Hollywood storyline that you wanna root for.
May 3, 2017
Great film. Excellent actors.....
April 28, 2017
Such A great movie!!!
April 26, 2017
Absolutely beautiful. There is nothing wrong about this movie at all, the perfect american-theatre WW2 movie with no over-the-top heroic bullshit.

Must have watched at least 4-5 times.
½ April 23, 2017
The Mother of modern war-movies. Some commentators see this film as an anti-war movie. I tend to disagree and see it more as a display of patriotism and american heroism. The movie ends with the american flag waving... that says it all, doesn't it?
All pride and patriotism (and no allied forces) aside, this movie was beautifully done considering sets, camerawork and acting. It is now a timeless classic. You can watch 20 years from now and it will still look good and realistic. If you don't know this movie, put your smartphone aside and watch it like it's 1998.
April 22, 2017
Why is this group of men walking hundreds of miles to save one man? What makes him more special over millions of others? That's a good question. One that many find tough to answer. Me included. FUBAR.
April 18, 2017
Spielberg in complete control of his vision.
April 18, 2017
Not the best war story but certainly the most immersive war movie ever made.

After the 1st scene, I was exhausted!
April 14, 2017
Normandy, 6 June, 1944. The Allied invasion to liberate Europe from the Germans has begun. Captain Miller is the commander of a Ranger company on Omaha beach. He and his men undergo a harrowing ordeal on D-Day before taking their objective. Days later they are given another mission: save Private Ryan. Private James Ryan, a paratrooper in the 101st Airborne Division, is somewhere in the interior of Normandy and the US high command want him found and brought back safely. In the last week three of his brothers have been killed and he is the sole surviving son in the family.

Incredible movie by Steven Spielberg. As a war movie it is the most realistic and gritty movie you'll ever see. The Omaha Beach scenes are the most accurate and graphic depiction of battle ever committed to celluloid. Militarily correct in every way.

Great plot, with a great message. Very emotional at the end.

Great work by Tom Hanks as Captain Miller. Good support from Matt Damon, Tom Sizemore, Ed Burns, Barry Pepper, Giovanni Ribisi, Adam Goldberg and Jeremy Davies. Ted Danson, Dennis Farina and Dale Dye appear in minor roles. Even has some big names in pre-star days: Vin Diesel, Bryan Cranston, Nathan Fillion, Paul Giamatti.
April 11, 2017
This movie is really sad. I loved Tom Hanks character so much and didn't want him to die. This movie deserves the attention it gets. Only reason it isn't a five star is because Tom Hanks shouldn't have died. Also the last action scene seems to familiar to me as if I've seen it in another movie.