A Scanner Darkly - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Scanner Darkly Reviews

January 13, 2018
unique visuals and a great story. One of my all-time favourites.
December 25, 2017
i thought this was interesting when i first saw it... now i realize its a piece of shit
October 15, 2017
People don't give this movie enough credit, a 100 minute movie that is rotoscoped, which is probably the longest type of animation made from a novel, i think as a animation student that this movie is one of the greats.
October 14, 2017
Unique Strange I liked it.
September 28, 2017
Indie movie with a very interesting filming style. Based on a very thought-provoking book about the war on drugs. Impressive cast creates believable characters. There is a lot of filler dialog that might bore some people, but for some the subtle and sometimes not-so-subtle nuances of each character are an absolute delight. The live film - to - animation style works very well for this movie because of the subject matter, creating a dream-like or drugged state in the viewer as they are slowly trying to decipher what's real.
April 7, 2017
Good adaptation of a popular Philip K. Dick novel
March 17, 2017
This was interesting, slightly disturbing, really cool. Worth watching.
March 13, 2017
A visually stunning movie....
½ February 18, 2017
What a film. It was made in 2006, but still feels ahead of its time in 2017. It's hard to believe this is from the same guy who made the Before trilogy, Boyhood and School of Rock - it's uncharacteristically bleak for Linklater, but he seems just as much at ease on the dark side as he is on the light. The animation is brilliant, and is instantly far more memorable than the generic CGI fest you'd get if this story were adapted as a big budget movie. Liked the performances a lot too. Pre-Iron Man RDJ and Woody Harrelson are especially great.
February 18, 2017
Hard to follow...but the cartoon effect was very interesting. The story was sad for the Keanu character, and you're left with open questions at the end.
February 15, 2017
Works in a pinch. It's a slight adaptation of perhaps Dicks most understated work. It's not a patch on the novel and holds nearly none of the nuances found there. But it's an interesting distraction for sure.
December 22, 2016
Incredible movie. Both a faithful adaptation and a visionary work of art, this film is a stunning tale of drug addiction combined with authoritarian governments that is both thrilling and compelling, and is supported by phenomenal animation and stellar performances from its cast, especially Downey Jr., Harrelson, Cochrane and Reeves.
½ December 11, 2016
A really interesting art style, but a dull plot which basically revolves around the fact that drugs make you paranoid, and controlling them makes you powerful. Should have been more.
November 24, 2016
Still a cool concept but not as good the second time around.
September 24, 2016
The truest movie that is based upon Philip K dick books and topics (the drug abuse and the damages that produces to the body of a person, the unrecognizability of the reality and of the self) that I've watched so far. And thus the most difficult to follow. The cast is unbelievable, I dare to say that I never watched a movie with such a cast, with 3 actors and an actress that could be lead actors in any movie they would want to, immediately before (Robert Downey Jr and Woody Harrelson) or after (Keanu Reeves) the peek of their careers. Not to mention Richard Linklater, that maybe cannot be defined as a cult director, but directed some really cult movies throught his life. But then "A Scanner Darkly" is a movie for really small audiences, so niche, with a very particular cartoonish style, that everything logically strides. You don't get a WOW effect, just because you are too surprised even for that.
½ September 21, 2016
Such an amazing travel, I don't really know what to thing about 'A Scanner Darkly', even though it's pretty fucked up, it's beautifully broken. The performances from Reeves and Ryder gave me the chills, I swear I'll never do drugs.
September 18, 2016
Visually radical stellar movie that holds your attention!
August 13, 2016
1940's Fantasia Is My Tenth Favorite Film.
July 8, 2016
This was both really interesting and really disappointing. I had heard a million great things about this movie, none of which made any sense, and still I didn't watch it. I hate watching any movie that everybody in the country is talking about because I hate watching any movie that I don't get to watch completely fresh and unprepared. So "A Scanner Darkly" got to sit around for, I dunno, a decade or so until I couldn't remember the last time somebody had mentioned it. I knew the basic premise: Keanu Reeves and some other actors get rotoscoped into some weird futuristic dystopia, hooray. It sounded pretty boring, actually. But in the intervening years I've grown to respect Keanu Reeves, and now I felt I could watch this movie with an even temperament. The film itself is one of those drug house movies. You know the ones, where there's a bunch of people doing drugs trying to live together. That's a genre, right? "Drug house movie"? Any ways, it's not too boring. It has a drop-off ending but you know what, it's Philip K. Dick and it's heart-touching in its sincerity. 4/5