Seabiscuit - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Seabiscuit Reviews

½ May 14, 2017
Good story but pretty naff Disneyesque interpretation
February 7, 2017
Great cast and great story,
½ December 16, 2016
Can't pin it down, but this film was disappointing.
½ October 25, 2016
What a strange enigma of a film. Seabiscuit starts out absolutely terrible. The interweaving origins of the main characters is not edited well at all, to the point where I wondered more than once what was going on and even struggled to connect the dots from one actor playing Red to the next one. The voice-over was ham-handed and unnecessary. They even let Tobey Maguire do some of his signature obnoxious whining that I loathe so much. About 30 minutes in I was tempted to just give up on the film altogether. It was around this time that the horse first shows up, and something changed. The second act was interesting and I was actually following the narrative flow without difficulty. By the third act, Seabiscuit really hit its stride (pun intended.) I went from not caring one bit about the film to suddenly cheering and even crying at the end. I could not figure out how it managed to sneak up on me but between the script, the cinematography, and the score, somehow I was emotionally invested in this movie. It's definitely a schmaltzy ending that could have been plucked right out of a Disney film, but I was completely on board at that point. I can't forgive Seabiscuit for all the first act problems, but I almost want to watch it again now that I've seen the whole movie and see if those origin moments resonate more when I know the end of the story.
August 20, 2016
An overrated film about a racehorse done in typical American sports movie style, so much so that you know what's gonna happen right from the start.
August 15, 2016
A good adaptation of the book.
July 13, 2016
"Seabiscuit" is nothing short of an American Classic, and stands as one of the best, most uplifting films I have ever seen. The best picture of 2003.
½ February 9, 2016
75%
Saw this on 09/02/15
Gary Ross's direction does not suit the film well as it takes more than an hour and quarter to come to life. Even with all the actors involved, the film at times feels like it cannot provide sufficient screen time to its characters and the horse. The story may be uplifting, but the execution is poor. Among the actors, Jeff Bridges stands out in a role that lacks a driving force. Toby Maguire is ok, but he seems to have an irrelevant role until the very end. Though Elizabeth Banks is a good director, she does not get a good role when compared to the male actors.
½ December 27, 2015
Great, classic come from behind to glory, horse flick. The cast was great and the script and direction outstanding,
December 6, 2015
Good story-telling, good pace. Great feel-good flick. Formulaic at times, but well executed.
October 17, 2015
I do not normally fancy particularly inspiring movies but Seabiscuit is pretty good to watch. And in my humble opinion, probably one of the best Tobey Maguire works after Pleasantville.
½ September 12, 2015
Seabiscuit appears 48 minutes into the movie, which is where I suggest to start watching this movie. The owner, trainer, and jockey meet then too.
August 1, 2015
Moving and enthralling, Seabiscuit is an inspiring story based on the legendary racehorse
½ June 30, 2015
Horse movies for adults are few, but this is worth watching.
June 24, 2015
Little engine that could story in all it's well acted and feel good splender.
½ February 4, 2015
Too bad. The book is 'edge of the seat' reading.
January 29, 2015
The film doesn't have an easy road to travel but it does it well. Full review later.
½ January 20, 2015
No entiendo por que la nominaron al Oscar , no pasa de ser una correcta pelicula sensiblona que se salva gracias a las escenas de las carreras de caballos y ala ambientaciòn de los años 30 como quisiera vivir en esa dcada.
½ October 19, 2014
A little slow and clumsy in spots but enjoyable because of the good acting.
August 25, 2014
It deserves to be nominated for Best Adapted Screenplay as this really good drama is an inspiration with power, hearts and cheers and the film also presents great relationships between one and another with progression and connection in on. (A-)

(Full review coming soon)