Secondhand Lions - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Secondhand Lions Reviews

December 8, 2016
An thoroughly enjoyable and wonderful movie!
December 4, 2016
Learnin from his Elders!
½ November 25, 2016
Nice family movie with a message of love.
½ November 9, 2016
An engaging, if familiar coming-of-age story with spunk, wit and charm.
October 8, 2016
If you are looking for a funny, quirky, off-beat movie, this is it. Michael Caine and Robert Duvall are perfect in the role of eccentric great uncles that we all would have loved to had.
½ July 31, 2016
I know it's kinda cheesy, but I love this movie.
½ July 30, 2016
I don't like this because the lion didn't show up until the middle of the movie, plus the explorer part was very unnecessary.
July 13, 2016
When I first watched this I just loved it. I don't remember how old I was but I was young. A first it was more of the jokes and a just the overall feeling that drew me in. Over the years I've seen more of why they do what they do and things I haven't noticed before. If you like happy ending family films (with some sad bits) it's a movie you might want to check out.
June 30, 2016
64%
Saw this on 30/6/16
The cast is it's biggest strength, especially Robert Duvall and the film definitely has its moments, but its nowhere in comparison to the earler films of Haley Joel Osment such as Sixth Sense, Pay it forward or A.I. Artificial Intelligence. The film simply lacks in plot, but its well intentioned, making it unjust to criticize it for the lack of plot.
June 29, 2016
We love this movie so much. Michael Caine and Robert Duvall are perfect together. This movie has it all...laughter, tears, action and tears. The music is perfect. Osment does a great job. It he best thing is, anyone can watch this movie, children to oldsters.its just a wonderful story that got a bum rap from the critics because no bad language, no sex or blood or even demons. Watch this movie for your self nod get a feel good feeling when it's over.
June 13, 2016
One of the best feelgood movies of all time.
May 25, 2016
Saw this when it came out. Now, a dozen years later (and I'm now the age of those bachelor uncles) and I cried like a baby.

Plus one of the best fight scenes in the movies :)
February 1, 2016
Secondhand Lions is a pliable, sweet-tempered, and crisp family drama surely to spark audaciousness and an appetite for mischief. It is a situational comedy following an edifying tale of a shy preteen boy named Walter (played by the lovable Haley Joel Osment) who is left abandoned by his impetuous mother and forced to brave an provocative summer in Texas with his bizarre and capricious uncles, Hub and Garth, who aren't used to being in the presence of children, especially one with a demeanor so vastly different from their own. When Walter gets wind of some local gossip regarding his uncles, he begins to ask them questions prompting them to eventually relay riveting and eccentric tales of their dramatic youths, which rejuvenates their buoyant spirits and childlike vigor.

[C] -- 56%
½ January 20, 2016
overall not too bad,good performances
½ January 8, 2016
It does have some genuinely moving moments, thanks to the great chemistry between the cast. But Osment is reduced to a "fantasy-generating machine" for much of the movie, and those sequences just don't work at all for me, either in tone or action or dialogue.
October 3, 2015
A perfect family movie, "Secondhand Lions" is rich with sweetness and heart.
½ September 19, 2015
Haven't seen this movie in a while!
½ August 20, 2015
Definitely not Oscar-worthy, but definitely a fun movie.
½ June 30, 2015
Come for the performances of two icons of cinema but the movie itself is nothing more than a generic piece of cheese.
½ June 10, 2015
Secondhand Lions boasts just enough charm to make it an enjoyable, innocent and sometimes exhilarating family film. The chemistry between the lead trio is convincing and looks natural, the story is fairly unique and enjoyable albeit a little cliche when it comes to the two uncles adventures being shown via Michael Caine's anecdotes. In the end, Secondhand Lions is a very entertaining film that delivers on laughs, entertainment, good performances, likable characters and solid pacing.