Semi-Tough - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Semi-Tough Reviews

June 28, 2016
Football players fall for same woman in this predictable romance.
½ September 6, 2015
Mildly entertaining rom-com that all involved have done better in other movies.
September 24, 2014
A satire on self help movements disguised as a satire of football disguised as a modern romantic comedy. The self help and romantic comedy parts work well, but what is surprising is the football part doesn't really work all that well. Clayburgh and Reynolds are terrific and Kristofferson is a pleasant blank.
March 25, 2013
Glib, slick and self-righteous, Semi-Tuff romanticizes two football heroes, both self-obsessed (but in different ways) and critical of all who aren't likewise inclined. Its interesting most as a historical window to cultural thought at the time.
December 2, 2011
Good football and Burt Reynolds movie
½ October 25, 2011
Fun performances from Reynolds and Kristofferson, although there is not much of a story, but that is ok, cause it has a certain charm to it none the less.
July 17, 2011
This movie came out in 1977 and basically makes fun of all the fads going on in the late 1970's. The football story is just a background story used to bring in the different fads. Unfortunately if you didn't live through that era you probably won't get the jokes. There was a lot of crazy stuff going on in the 1970's. Lot of ugly clothes too. This movie just touches the highlights but it does capture the mood and feeling of those years. I went and saw this movie in the theater in Stillwater Oklahoma when I was in college. I thought it was really funny then. I got it on Laserdisc when it came out on Laserdisc. Bert Reynolds just plays himself but is funny. Better than the other movies he made back then.
June 10, 2011
This film pokes fun at the self-help, empowerment movements of the 1970's more than anything else. I never saw what the big deal with Jill Clayburgh was. This film rates somewhere above Gator but below The Longest Yard.
July 25, 2010
It's official. My first zero-star rating. I lasted 10 minutes with this one. Can't even begin to say what turned me off. Horrible dialogue in the early going, not sure. I NEVER turn a movie off, and I hate to savage a film before seeing it through, but until further notice, I would put this one up there with my picks for... drumroll... WORST. MOVIE. EVER.
December 3, 2009
Burt Reynolds doesn't realize how much he wants friend Jill Clayburgh until Kris Kristofferson is engaged to her. Both Reynolds & Kristofferson are fairly subdued in this light comedy that has more charm then laughs. Sure to be enjoyed more by fans of the two leads but not nearly as good as the drive in fare that Reynolds was putting out in the 70s
June 15, 2009
funny but slow at times.
February 17, 2009
ok, damn! what is hotter than having both burt reynolds and kris kristofferson trying to seduce you? um maybe the fact that they also shirtless, tight jeans wearing pro football players on their way to the super bowl...

goddamn awesome!
December 18, 2008
Depsite the actors I found this movei rather disappointing. North Dallas Forty (with Nick Nolte) was much better.
June 17, 2008
Enjoyable Michael Ritchie naturalistic comedy. The actors are good, but there's far less football and funking than a movie like this should have.
½ January 13, 2008
OK sports film. Not the best cast.
January 7, 2008
A sports movie with hardly any sport. Kristofferson and Reynolds are brilliant, real live characters. Some of it is mad.
November 18, 2007
Another football action movie staring Burt Reynolds and Kris Kristofferson.