Serial Reviews

• Dec 10, 2016

A wonderful movie that represents the "granola" culture of the 1970's in California. Terrific cast with clever dialog. If you grew up during this time you will love it!!

• Jun 05, 2016

Serial hasn't aged well. The music, plot, and dialogue all were perfectly suited to parody the hippy dippy excesses of Southern California circa 1980. Now having someone's daughter run off and join a cult and constantly using the term "fag" are respectively anachronistic and unthinkable. While Martin Mull is still funny no matter what decade we're in, and some of the lines still elicit a chuckle, most of the movie belongs in the museum of "So that's what was funny 30 years ago?"

• Jul 06, 2011

Deliciously funny 1980 satire about a group of "me generation" folks looking for happiness with all the latest fads in Marin County, California. The terrific ensemble is led by Martin Mull and Tuesday Weld with standout perfomances by Christopher Lee and the always delightful Sally Kellerman. Loved it!!!

• Aj V Super Reviewer
    Sep 06, 2010

A hilarious movie about family, fads, and the 70s. An interesting cast too, especially Christopher Lee, who is too funny. I highly recommend this comedy.

• Sep 03, 2010

What a hilarious movie! Especially for those who remember the 70s or just watch a lot of old movies (like me). My favourite part of the movie was Christopher Lee's small role, it was one of the funniest things I'd ever seen! The other actors in the movie are really great as well. The movie is about people who follow the 70s fads to an absurd length, and the main character played by Mull, is sick of it all. So funny. I highly recommend seeing this movie.

• May 25, 2010

This movie takes on a large number of easy targets, with great effect.

This movie takes on a large number of easy targets, with great effect.

• Apr 24, 2010

Talk about not holding up! I watched this again, admittedly for just one phrase, but it's really terrible. I like a lot of the people in it, but it's almost painful to watch. Despite the awfulness of it, it does parody a segment of the society most choose to forget. Yes it really was like that. I don't feel cheated, but I do feel like I just watched a bad sitcom. I'm rating it higher than it deserves.

• Feb 02, 2010

This is a cult flick that makes fun of stuff from the seventies thru the early eighties, New Agism, drugs, free love, EST, psychotherapy through drugs, cults (Moonies) and gay motorcycle gangs. The plot takes place in Marin County just north of San Francisco. This movie is fun!

• Sep 13, 2009

This is my favorite movie of all time. Having grown up in the SF Bay Area in the 60s & 70s, this film captured one of the many facets of life there. At least for me! Martin Mull was great as always, and Tommy Smothers made me laugh.

• Pamela D Super Reviewer
    Feb 03, 2009

Martin Mull leads a class cast of comedians in this clever satire of superficiality, social class, pop psychology, fads, drug use, and social trends. Hard to find but worth it it you can.