The Serpent and the Rainbow Reviews

• Apr 20, 2021

2/5. While it has some awesome visuals and intense scenes, the majority of this movie is boring and a slog to get through.

• Mar 15, 2021

It may not be classic Wes Craven, but it does serve as an interesting and trippy take on the origins of the oh-so-well-known zombies. I was expecting more blood/gore, and a bit more creepiness to be honest.

• Oct 27, 2020

It's not always engaging, but The Serpent and the Rainbow is an entertaining and sometimes creepy horror movie from Wes Craven that has a decent performance by Bill Pullman and an unsettling one from Zakes Mokae ("I wanna hear you scream").

• Jul 12, 2020

It drags in spots but is effectively creepy and well acted.

It drags in spots but is effectively creepy and well acted.

• Apr 04, 2020

interesting film! If you get tired of modern day zombie movies, this may be refreshing! See what happens when an arrogant American ventures to Haiti to gain an understanding of their life restoring practices. A unique and original horror movie!

• Mar 25, 2020

This is not legendary horror director Wes Craven's best movie. It's got its good and bad points. The bad point is basically that the movie takes a while before it honestly gets going, which just makes it tedious. But The Serpent and the Rainbow still manages to have an unsettling tone to it. It's also an interesting look at Haitian voodoo culture, and the fact that this flick is inspired by semi true events makes it more intriguing. Bill Pullman gives a good lead performance. And what's also interesting is that the flick also has some strong political content, which shows us the cruel dictatorship at the time. Overall, this movie is a different horror film from the rest, I thought, and it's an interesting enough little diversion. Recommended for fans of the genre.

• Mar 13, 2020

This has always been one of my least favorite Wes Craven flicks, and indeed it still doesn't quite click with me. But I can much more appreciate what he was going for here. I like the attempt to bring the Zombie back to its Voodoo roots, but it all just kind of plays like melodrama to me...

• Mar 11, 2020

Between 2.5 and 3 stars. Good scenario, but confusing story.

Between 2.5 and 3 stars. Good scenario, but confusing story.

• Oct 26, 2019

One of Wes Craven's best! An entertaining spook fest surrounding the real life legends of the Haitian voodoo zombies, we follow Bill Pullman into the South American rainforest to find visions, nightmares, spiritual guides & one of the most unnerving horror performances given by a very scary Zakes Mokae as the voodoo antagonist who terrorizes Pullman's character throughout the film in both the real world & dreamworld combined.

• May 26, 2019

Movie creep out Blobbo. Him like.

Movie creep out Blobbo. Him like.