Seven (Se7en) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Seven (Se7en) Reviews

October 2, 2016
Una de las mejores películas que he podido ver. El dúo Freeman-Pitt ofrece carisma a raudales, un David Fincher inspiradísimo, una trama atrapante y bien escrita, y sobretodo, un villano de lo más perturbador. Un "must-see" en toda regla
½ September 22, 2016
In an amazing agglomeration of masterful musical score, incredible acting, and and fast paced storyline, David Fincher created an instant classic with Se7en.

I see that many people in the critic reviews section seem to discount this movie due to the unbelievable nature of the progression of the storyline. I believe this criticism in immensely unfair; The purpose of a movie, and most certainly not this one, is not to be 'realistic'. The beauty of this movie is that through cinematography consisting of well placed and suspenseful music as well as a thread of a dark decrepit thread that runs throughout the movie takes the viewer to a place within themselves in which their deepest darkest desires and fears lie. It is because of this that the events that construct the storyline are acceptable; they are a grandiose display of the negative attributes that lie within all of humanity to some extent.

What I really enjoyed most about the movie were the progression of the main characters Somerset and Mills and their arch throughout the story and their purpose in serving the plot itself. In the early scenes of the movie one can see the two detectives are starkly different; Somerset is inquisitive, calculating, and level headed while Mills is impulsive, aggressive, and proud. I believe these two characters serve to not only create conflict to make the storyline more complex, but also present a social commentary because despite the fact that they are so different, as a viewer one is able to relate to both. They represent the push and pull of those characteristics within humanity.

One should not even have to argue. Se7en is no doubt an incredible movie, full of allusions to the bible that aid in presenting a commentary on the society in which we live. The message of the movie is to convey the decay of morals in our society, which parallels the thread of decay in the film.
½ September 21, 2016
Se7en is a psychological thriller starring Morgan Freeman and Brad Pitt, which places Detectives Mills (Pitt) and Somerset (Freeman) chasing after a serial killer. Newly assigned to work homicide in this unidentified city, Mills becomes Somerset's partner only a week before Somerset is planning to retire. Somerset's upcoming retirement allows his character to arc from a disgruntled old cop who wants to finish his duties to one who is eventually truly fascinated by the serial killer's use of classic literature and elaborate illustrations of the seven deadly sins. The cinematography and lighting in the film are common threads that allude to the sad world that we live in. There is always dim lighting and constant rain and poverty are shown throughout the city. This film provides moral commentary centered around the seven deadly sins and is constant throughout. Detective Mill's wife Tracy (Gwyneth Paltrow) plays what appears to be a minor role but her character development throughout the film is an interesting foreshadowing for what is an incredibly exciting ending. While the film may be a little slow at times, it certainly fits the psychological thriller genre and keeps the viewer from being prepared for obvious outcomes. The film's ending has a vague resolution, which differs from typical thrillers where the archetypical hero comes out clean in the end. Early on, it becomes obvious that there will be seven murders based on the seven deadly sins but the conflict has its fair share of twists and turns as Detectives Mills and Somerset battle against themselves and a highly educated serial killer who is meticulous beyond belief. This film gets a 3.5 / 5 rating, where the focus is on the incredible visuals and cinematography portrayed throughout.
½ September 8, 2016
Don't like the ending
½ September 3, 2016
If you're looking for a crime thriller this is the movie. Seven exceeded all of my high expectations for the film. It delivered an incredibly captivating story with stellar performances by Pitt and Freeman. The movie has everything you want from mystery to action to plot twists. Seven is in my top list. 4.5 Stars
August 24, 2016
rather disappointing ending despite epic performances
August 17, 2016
19% - Se7en is an extremely slow-paced crime thriller movie with absolutely no proper plot and runs on by just building situations that have no reasons or justifiable explanations. The film is unnecessarily extreme dark and gritty that disturbs the viewers in a bad way.
½ August 12, 2016
Retiring old school detective must train a new detective as his replacement. Together, they are drawn into a series of gruesome murders in which the killer uses the seven deadly sins as inspiration for the crimes. Director David Fincher does an excellent job making this film much like its environment, dark and gloomy.
August 11, 2016
Best of both worlds: thriller & horror! Classic edge of your seat film!
August 8, 2016
Seven is eerie from start to finish, beginning it all with a creepy credits display and ending it in the most shocking of ways. It uses brilliantly the noir visual style to set the mood and then delves into the dark corners of the human mindset, offering great performances by the two main characters, a mesmerizing dialogue and a breath-taking editing in the final minutes.
August 7, 2016
An incredibly dark and noir thriller by David Fincher. It stars three of hollywood's best in what is a twisted mystery with some classicly memorable scenes. Right from the off, this movie sets a tone which it continues throughout with such strong performances. This is one of my all time favourite movies.
½ August 6, 2016
This is one of worst movies I have ever seen. If you want your decency insulted - enjoy, its not scary, fun, or dramatic, its just stupid, linear, and gross.
½ August 1, 2016
One of my favourite re-watchable films, whilst you can't quite get some of the first time watching thrill back, this truly is a classic Serial Killer tale, with probably one of Spacey's best performances. This one comes out at least once a year.
July 31, 2016
Saying that Se7en is a masterpiece is an understatement. This is a dark, sadistic thriller that has so many insanely unpredictable twists that you can actually miss out if you do not pay full attention. The performance from Freeman, Pitt and Spacey are fantastic and they do a great job of making us feel for the two protagonists.
½ July 30, 2016
An aging detective nears retirement. As he comes to his final week, his superior pairs him with a young partner to pursue a particularly unique serial killer. Each of this killer's victims represents one of seven deadly sins. The two detectives are on a clock to find the murderer before he kills all seven victims. It is a conflicting movie because there is so much to admire but the story itself is not what I want in a movie like this. Strong acting, storytelling and rich details take this to the point where it could be great. This movie deserves credit for pushing the grisly visuals to an extreme so that they resonate and disturb the viewer, as much as a murder scene should. David Fincher is a director who knows how to use darkness, shadows, and sound to build tension; his movies often dwell on dark stories. This movie has an aged feeling to it with washed-out gold tones, shallows that focus the attention on the characters or the subject in the foreground. Fincher forces you to read the facial expressions of the detectives in a highly effective way. At the same time, he also shoves the murder scenes in your face to achieve a repulsive visceral reaction. It does not show the violent actions, but the evidence left behind is truly terrifying. The murder and his psychosis are conceptually fascinating for a murder mystery. It moves in unexpected directions, builds an interesting sub-plot between the partners and shows intelligence and craft in the story. A nagging problem is hard to overcome is the resolution. The mystery, suspense and story all build to an exciting climax, but what happens is unfulfilling, and even unsettling. The direction is excellent and the acting performances are commendable, but when the story does not sit well it is hard to fully praise it. If dark subject matter compels you, and you appreciate an unpredictable yet unorthodox finish, then this could be a bulls-eye.
½ July 28, 2016
After the more than problematic production of the disappointing "Alien 3", David Fincher seriously considered to stop making film, but one script managed to make him return to filmmaking, and that script become the wildly known "Seven".

Set in an unspecified corrupt and gritty city, we follow a pair of detectives: Veteran William Somerset and city newcomer David Mills. This pair is assigned a case about a murder who executes people according to the seven deadly sins, so Mills and Somerset start a race against time to find the murderer before he finishes his seventh part masterpiece.

Mystery films centered on serial killers are nothing new and most of them are quite generic and forgettable, but that rule doesn't apply to Fincher´s breakthrough film. "Seven" counts with solid performance (as expected form perfectionist David Fincher), flawed characters that may lack depth but they are still interesting, a masterfully crafted gritty and disturbing atmosphere that provides a feeling of hopelessness, the visuals are shocking and unforgettable (some people may find them disturbing), the editing is kinetic and extremely effective in adding a feeling of desperation (starting from that beautifully creepy title sequence), a well written script that know how to keep the audience at the edge pf their seat, the ending is one of the most shocking and macabre I´ve ever seen (that ending is so powerful that it has being spoiled at the same level of some iconic scenes like the shower scene in "Psycho" or the prom scene in "Carrie", just to name some examples), Fincher´s perfectionist directing manages to craft a quite dark tone and holds it up until the last second of the film and his attention to details adds more power to the investigation, the villain is one of the most haunting in recent memory, a limited but striking and smart use of gore, smart storytelling that knows how to proportion or withheld information to the audiences, cinematography that manages to achieve a lot from a limited lighting and color palette, and overall is an intense experience. But regardless of all those fantastic elements, the biggest issue this film has is pacing as it drags at certain scenes and rushes at others.

"Seven" is the darkest film of Fincher´s resume but it is one of his best as it is shocking, memorable, intense and masterfully crafted. Filled with unforgettable scenes and solid performances, this is one of the best murder mysteries you can find.
½ July 24, 2016
"Se7en" is pure greatness in every performance, every conversation, every setting, and every stomach churning scare. Once you see it, most other thrillers just don't match up.
July 23, 2016
Mystery at its best.
July 19, 2016
This is one of the most horrifying movies ever made. But it doesn't just consist of violence. It has amazing performances, tense scenes, and a nail-biting finale which you won't ever forget for a very long time.

2 detectives try to hunt down a psychopath as he kills people in grotesque ways based around the seven deadly sins.

This movie contains several memorable scenes which have the tendency to knock you off guard. Besides the ending, another amazing scene is when they investigate the sloth victim. The gore is amazing but we get the jumpscare of our lives in it. I'm not going to spoil it though because otherwise I'll ruin it. Many people will agree that the ending is the best part by far. It is tense and suspenseful and it is completely unpredictable. It is one of the most memorable movie endings by far.

Also, the acting is amazing also. In my opinion, Kevin Spacey and Brad Pitt both give one of their best performances yet. Morgan Freeman's also gives as amazing performance and it is rivaled only by his performance in The Shawshank Redemption.

The acting worked real well because this movie did a great job with its choice of casting. Fincher probably looked at previous works of Freeman, Pitt, and Spacey's roles and he knew that they would be perfect for these roles and his casting choices really paid off.

As much I want to give this movie a 10, there are a few scenes which I felt carried on a bit too long or were more slower-paced than the rest of the movie. There weren't too much that bothered me too an extensive degree though. However, I do think that this would've been a masterpiece if it weren't for those few scenes.

Nobody thought much of Fincher when he directed Alien 3 and he was originally dismissed as just another style over substance director. However, he looked at the mistakes that movie made and he showed moviegoers with this movie that he is a talented director. Since then, he has made several more amazing movies (especially Fight Club) and he is now one of the more appreciated directors working today.

In conclusion, Se7en is a near perfect movie. Sure, the pacing can be a bit slow at times but this is still an amazing crime drama and I think that this is one of the best crime movies ever made. It will keep you on the edge of your seat the entire time and it contains one of the best finales to a movie ever. I understand why some people disliked this movie but none of the reasons affect my opinion of this movie and I think that it is a must-watch for everyone as long as you don't mind realistic violence and gore.
July 18, 2016
The excellent performances of Freeman and Pitt keep 'Seven' rolling through the unevenly paced opening half. And while the climax may feel a little rushed and farcical, the actor who plays the psychopath delivers it with aplomb (as one would expect). Fine performances across the board make this a film you should see, even if it is a little over-hyped.