Seven (Se7en) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Seven (Se7en) Reviews

October 18, 2017
Seven is a dark thriller where two detectives try to track down a serial killer who is murdering people in the form of the 7 deadly sins. This is an excellent film, the cinematography, soundtrack create a consistent and dark tone throughout the film and creates a grimy and bleak version of New York. The acting is excellent across the board but Morgan Freeman and Brat Pitt are particularly good as Detective Somerset and Mills and Kevin Spacey as John Doe is incredible despite his brief screen time. The film has a good pace throughout, allowing enough time to flesh out the characters and the relationships between them but never losing the impetus to find the killer. The murders are also extremely brutal and shocking and build up to an exciting and fulfilling ending. I thoroughly enjoyed watching this film and it would be a sin to miss it. .
September 22, 2017
All time classic film about good and evil. Performances are great from a strong cast, all elements combine with stunning effect and build to one on cinema's most memorable climaxes.
½ September 22, 2017
'Seven' is good, but its being so absurdly overrated is at its own disservice; since it truly is just a competent thriller, thrilling enough, having poignant moment and an engaging plot (and leads) but failing to live up to its ridiculous hype, being only a film designed to be successful, fairly deserving its success, but not its reputation.
½ September 14, 2017
Another good and fairly intense thriller. Well thought-out and deeply dramatic overall.
½ September 8, 2017
Seven examines a sociopath who is obsessed with the seven deadly sins. Deadly, of course, being the operative word. The film is not filled with religious rhetoric being thrown at you even though the movie has religious ideologies. Although I preferred a different ending, I was captivated from start to finish.
½ August 27, 2017
Saw this in college for the first time. Really good and really dark. Get ready.
August 25, 2017
Seven is truly a masterpiece. Brad Pitt & Morgan Freeman were perfect. This movie took a chance on being different from your typical thriller and succeeded in the best ways possible. And let's not forget it's unforgettable finale.
½ August 23, 2017
Se7en has me at the edge of my seat from beginning to end. Brad Pitt and Morgan Freeman give great performances in this spine tingling movie
August 19, 2017
The premise felt somewhat familiar, maybe "the seven deadly sins" is a common arch in crime stories. What made it really interesting to watch was the dynamic of Pitt and Freeman, both very different characters, with quite a unique chemistry. It was a slow-burning story but when it reached its end, you just had to agree it made for a very good movie!
August 12, 2017
wonderfully crafted movie, but very dark and brutal.
½ August 1, 2017
Expected something more from worldwide movie classic.
½ July 23, 2017
What is Seven? A detective thriller? A noir? A horror film? A psychoanalysis? It's really hard to say except a little bit of all these. Makes for such an intriguing combination that it's hard to turn off, even after it's over.
½ July 11, 2017
epic ending plot twist!!!!
July 1, 2017
Suspenseful, haunting, and very dark in nature, Seven is a film you don't want to watch twice
½ June 26, 2017
Retiring police Detective Somerset and new transfer Detective Mills discover a number of elaborate and bloody murders perpetrated by a serial killer based on the seven deadly sins. Morgan Freeman and Kevin Spacey's performances are so great and convincing, their characters are so detailed and calm. The ending is totally haunting and scary. The film has an excellent structure and its nomination for Film Editing is well deserved. It is worth watching it. It keeps you interested.
½ June 25, 2017
Great movie , amazing cast.
Two detectives fall into the trap of an insane killer who is creating a masterpiece to fulfill "God's work"
June 23, 2017
Seven is original, suspenseful and adds up perfectly to it's chilling climax in which the twist is revealed. Seven is extremely well made and acted, it's focus on the seven deadly sins being used as ways to murder people was both shocking and original. Seven will always be a special movie for me and a must watch.
½ June 18, 2017
There is a distinct joy that one gets from watching David Fincher. I can't pin it down to any one thing, whether it's the cinematography or the plot twist or something else. However, his films' ability to consistently grip the viewer by the throat and not let go for two hours has stayed with me, and is one of the reasons why he is one of my top five directors working today.

My greatest regret is that I did not watch Se7en when it came out. Over the twenty-odd years that have passed since, it is no longer a surprise that Kevin Spacey is John Doe and we all have a pretty good idea what is in the box. Nonetheless, the film is slick and tight, two hours of pure suspense and action. It is refreshing to see some earlier work from both Morgan Freeman and Brad Pitt, and the odd couple shows that even the most distinct of actor pairings can produce the best of films. Dark to its core, Se7en is perhaps David Fincher's most unforgiving of films, and that is saying a lot (see: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo). What to see next? Ah yes, Zodiac.
June 16, 2017
This film was an amazing film. Its a suspenseful ride till the end. The "Box" ending is amazing. The score was chilling. The cast is great. Freeman and Pitt were amazing. The actor for John Doe was amazing also. This film is a thrilling ride.

Rating: 10/10
June 5, 2017
Brilliantly original, a gruesome success.