Seven (Se7en) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Seven (Se7en) Reviews

½ July 24, 2016
"Se7en" is pure greatness in every performance, every conversation, every setting, and every stomach churning scare. Once you see it, most other thrillers just don't match up.
July 23, 2016
Mystery at its best.
July 19, 2016
This is one of the most horrifying movies ever made. But it doesn't just consist of violence. It has amazing performances, tense scenes, and a nail-biting finale which you won't ever forget for a very long time.

2 detectives try to hunt down a psychopath as he kills people in grotesque ways based around the seven deadly sins.

This movie contains several memorable scenes which have the tendency to knock you off guard. Besides the ending, another amazing scene is when they investigate the sloth victim. The gore is amazing but we get the jumpscare of our lives in it. I'm not going to spoil it though because otherwise I'll ruin it. Many people will agree that the ending is the best part by far. It is tense and suspenseful and it is completely unpredictable. It is one of the most memorable movie endings by far.

Also, the acting is amazing also. In my opinion, Kevin Spacey and Brad Pitt both give one of their best performances yet. Morgan Freeman's also gives as amazing performance and it is rivaled only by his performance in The Shawshank Redemption.

The acting worked real well because this movie did a great job with its choice of casting. Fincher probably looked at previous works of Freeman, Pitt, and Spacey's roles and he knew that they would be perfect for these roles and his casting choices really paid off.

As much I want to give this movie a 10, there are a few scenes which I felt carried on a bit too long or were more slower-paced than the rest of the movie. There weren't too much that bothered me too an extensive degree though. However, I do think that this would've been a masterpiece if it weren't for those few scenes.

Nobody thought much of Fincher when he directed Alien 3 and he was originally dismissed as just another style over substance director. However, he looked at the mistakes that movie made and he showed moviegoers with this movie that he is a talented director. Since then, he has made several more amazing movies (especially Fight Club) and he is now one of the more appreciated directors working today.

In conclusion, Se7en is a near perfect movie. Sure, the pacing can be a bit slow at times but this is still an amazing crime drama and I think that this is one of the best crime movies ever made. It will keep you on the edge of your seat the entire time and it contains one of the best finales to a movie ever. I understand why some people disliked this movie but none of the reasons affect my opinion of this movie and I think that it is a must-watch for everyone as long as you don't mind realistic violence and gore.
July 18, 2016
The excellent performances of Freeman and Pitt keep 'Seven' rolling through the unevenly paced opening half. And while the climax may feel a little rushed and farcical, the actor who plays the psychopath delivers it with aplomb (as one would expect). Fine performances across the board make this a film you should see, even if it is a little over-hyped.
July 15, 2016
With a great cast, tight direction and one of the most disturbing endings in cinema history, "SE7EN" is another masterpiece that deserves to be up with the best.
July 9, 2016
Seven is a suspense driven crime thriller about a cereal killer whose murders are based on the seven deadly sins. Fincher is able to build a continued sense of dread throughout the entire film. Brad Pitt, Morgan Freeman, and Kevin Spacey all give great performances. The ending is fantastic and is a proper ending to an excellent film. Overall, this is not only one of the best crime thrillers of all time, but is also one of the best movies of all time.
July 6, 2016
every frame a painting
½ July 4, 2016
Great actors, very good acting, but as a thriller very let down by being able to predict halfway through what would be involved in the ending.

Spoilers follow.

A serial killer is midway through his series of related killings. The two detectives on the case have determined him to be thorough and methodical. The killer becomes aware of the detectives through their investigations, and then even appears to be leading the detectives to make discoveries about what he has done. Near the middle he has left clues that leads the detectives to a building where one if his victims is. The detectives find the victim. As they are leaving, a photographer leaps out and snaps a photo of one of the detectives before he is angrily chased off. As few people aside from the detectives knew of the victim's location, my immediate thought was, "That was likely the killer." This was proved correct, as a few scenes later the detectives find the exact photo taken of one of them, in the killer's apartment. The detective in the photo has a wife, and we the audience have previously seen how distressed she is having newly moved to this violent city, and that she has also just become pregnant. My thought was, given how methodical the killer is, he does nothing without a purpose. He has deliberately taken a photo of one of the detectives. Why? You would have to assume the killer is then attempting to find out information about that detective - and as a consequence that detective and his family are potentially at great risk. "He'll probably try and kill the detective's wife in the end," is what I said at that point. This possibility however didn't at all occur to the two supposedly highly experienced detectives in the movie. When the end happened involving the predicted outcome, I groaned. A good thriller shouldn't rely on the audience being stupid.
June 28, 2016
Perfect movie with excellent acting from all parties involved with a creative story with a gloomy and dark feel and one of the craziest swerves imaginable
June 27, 2016
Wow, the ending was all kinds of fucked up. I thought the murders themselves were horrific on their own, but the ending... My God, that is one of the most shocking experiences I've ever had watching a film. So very tragic and so very evil.
June 20, 2016
David Fincher is a great director when it comes to phycological thrillers. It's great movie, the acting is great and the thrills go around, is shocking, is grim and brutal but overall it's a great movie,
June 18, 2016
Well thought out
Predictable at times
June 11, 2016
what's in the box?!?!?!
½ June 2, 2016
Seven is one of my favourite thrillers of all time. The acting is great, the story is haunting, and the plot is genius.
May 29, 2016
One of the greatest films ever made.
½ May 27, 2016
Se7en has a nice story but the final act leaves the audience disappointed.
May 26, 2016
Muy buena pelicula, por momentos es un poco lenta, pero los giros que tiene y el final, el final!!! excelente!
½ May 26, 2016
David Fincher's sophisticated thriller is filled with daunting symbolism and an open-ended vision of grisly imagery. Se7en is a psychological fabrication of thematic scope and suspenseful sequences that pays off in the mid 90s and is still revered as one of Fincher's best and a cinematic tour de force. 4.5/5
½ May 9, 2016
The movie keeps you interested the entire time. It is very well made, with outstanding performances from Morgan Freeman and Brad Pitt! It is directed by the brilliant genius David Fincher, and extraordinarily written by the one hit wonder Andrew Kevin Walker. Not only is the story great, but the script and the dialogue are absolutely great. And the final act is something for the books. This movie is a masterpiece.
May 4, 2016
A great and intense film that will make your eyes dry. The plot is brilliant and the pacing kept me thrilled. The actors are superb. I lose my head in the end. This is insane.