Seven (Se7en) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Seven (Se7en) Reviews

½ February 17, 2018
Not loving this movie must be considered a sin.
½ February 7, 2018
Anno 2018 still a great movie, with a compelling story, great acting and unpredictable ending.
½ February 6, 2018
Total: 22/25
January 31, 2018
Beautifully well-orchestrated, thank you Mr. Fincher
January 27, 2018
With subtle commentary about apathy, superficiality and sin, some dark, immersive cinematography, two fine lead performances by Brad Pitt and Morgan Freeman and, above all, a story that is both highly disturbing and surprising, "Se7en" is a brutal yet engaging and much satisfying neo-noir crime film.
½ January 22, 2018
David Fincher managed to make an extremely well done, Unique and intense Crime/Thriller. This film definitely has a very scary approach with its realistic story and that is what makes this film really entertaining from start to finish.

Brad Pitt and Morgan Freeman was great aswell as Kevin Spacey doing a really good job too.

The story was consistent and was moving forward in a good pace which kept me entertained all the way to the pretty creepy ending.
January 16, 2018
Heppċreh. Good movie. Like it very much. Nice flick.
½ January 15, 2018
a thrilling whodunit movie with an awesome twist and line at the end tremendous casting and one of the best movies you haven't seen
½ January 15, 2018
  It so happened that I really love detective stories, difficult to understand, complicated, cruel, which carry some meaning, I like to trace the psychology of the murderer, to observe his actions.  This film completely corresponds to my taste, and I just could not pass it.  Gluttony, greed, idleness, anger, pride, lust, envy: in other words, all known mortal sins.  They were the basis of the film "The Seven".

I would like to say a few words about the creator of this film.  David Fincher is one of the best directors of our time, in my opinion.  And when I had watched all his works, I really began to admire his art.  His films have atmosphere that gets tense with the time of events.  The main direction is detective thrillers, but there are also works in his career that do not fit this description.  To cut a long story short, each film is unique in its own way. "Seven" is one of the best films of Fincher, which is not only interesting itself but also contains important thoughts, makes you think about your own life and besides in the genre of a thriller ... In my opinion, such pictures are generally the best in the World Cinema. Actions take place slowly, everything flows in its own way and there is not a single useful scene that does not belong to the plot.  The spectator watches the main characters completely trusting them and they in turn quietly try to come to a logical conclusion and bring the matter to mind.  The main actors of this film: Brad Pitt, Morgan Freeman and Kevin Spacey.  These detectives, although completely different, but complement each other perfectly.  I want to highlight Pitt's game in the final scene.  It is striking how truthfully and sincerely he was able to convey his torment.

The film "Seven" very much sunk into my soul.  And that's fine.  After viewing this picture, I began to think about such vital things that had never came to my mind before.

We see mortal sin on every corner, in every house and we tolerate it, we tolerate it, because this is a common phenomenon. (c)
½ January 13, 2018
Morgan's character is great. I think there is a stretch or two that hurt the film, ones that lack likelihood, but I enjoy pacing and deduced an incorrect way the movie would end, 7.75. Held my attention, I wouldn't likely watch it again.
½ January 6, 2018
(93/100)
Amazing psychological thriller!
December 31, 2017
Se7en creates a dark and cruel world that is full of horrific murders that could very well happen to you if you're not careful. Brad Pitt and Morgan Freeman succeed as two detectives who seem to be polar opposites. One is a calm guy about to retire soon while the other is more hot-tempered and foulmouthed. To call the type of effects used disturbing would be an understatement. Especially since the sloth victim is not an animatronic but a real person. Yes, David Fincher actually had a real person appear for that sin. The main villain is quite chilling and when he's onscreen, his line delivery is the best thing in this entire movie. Kudos to whoever wrote the script. Another thing I enjoyed is the excerpts from ye olde books about sins such as Dante Alighieri's Divine Comedy. For a movie all about sins, Se7en is mostly sinless, as in flawless. Why don't you have the people give the movie a maximum of a seven-star rating for this movie, RT? If IMDb can make a maximum out of 11 for This is Spinal Tap as a joke, you can give this movie a seven-star maximum as well. Quite fitting that this movie has an average rating of 7.7/10 on the Tomatometer, doesn't it? A classic mystery thriller.
December 26, 2017
There is not a single thing in this movie to hate. Everything from the scene with Air by Bach in it, to when (spoilers) John Doe kills Mills' wife is beautiful. A masterpiece.
December 24, 2017
great movie, aged well.
½ December 23, 2017
F-O

8.4

[David Fincher]
Shane Sackman
December 13, 2017
"I'm setting the example. What I've done is going to be puzzled over and studied and followed... forever." Is an interesting line delivered at a major moment of revelation in Seven. I think its an interesting reflection of the movie itself too.

I am not sure there is anything terribly sophisticated about Seven. There does not have to be for a good crime thriller to really work. I find when you describe this movie coldly and descriptively it all seems a little banal. There's an odd couple pairing of detectives, played by two pretty wonderful actors. The grizzled cop about to retire, who has spent a little too long in the game. The fresh, young and careless rookie, out to make a name for himself. Morgan Freeman is so perfectly that veteran with a commanding and ominous presence. Brad Pitt also works well as the rookie.

This film is also set against the most obvious of thriller settings, a relentlessly dark city, always raining or about to. A color scheme that never managed to lift its brush too far from grey.

There's some unique visceral imagery, the "kills" are haunting and troubling. Some are showed more than we want. Others I, frankly, wish I knew more, as the imagination is sometimes so much worse. Then there is the big reveal of our monster. Oh and what a reveal, what a commanding performance. Brief, menacing and psychologically domineering.

If you stop to think about this movie it is all a little preposterous, but who would? You are so busy taking it all in. You cannot really stop to pick apart the problems.

I wrote through this dry shopping list of descriptors trying to work out what worked about the movie, a standard list of crime cliches it seems. Doing this exercise, I sort of realized what Seven reminded me of. It is a well done painting. If you strip it all down it is really predictable brush strokes and common themes. But it sings. It puzzles, and it draws you in for study. It's a masterful cop buddy piece. It is the right measure of brutality and imagination. The twists work. The reveal works. It works.

This movie reminds us why we have a conception of a script or formula for certain movies. Thrillers have things we've come to expect, the same can be said of every genre. Seven reminds you why this is the archetype for these movies. When you put the strokes together just right, it is really something to behold.
December 9, 2017
Two police detectives - one, Somerset, about to retire and the other, Mills, just transferred into the precinct - investigate the murder of an obese man. On his wall was written the word "Gluttony". Then they are alerted to the murder of a lawyer. On his floor was written the word "Greed". Somerset suspects that the murders were the work of the same man, a man murdering people who have committed the seven deadly sins.

Brilliant. Starts off as an intriguing, clever detective drama, showing how police go about investigating crimes, developing the characters and meticulously developing the plot. Highly engaging and enthralling. From a point it becomes more than a crime drama, developing some deeper undertones and ending as a dark psychological drama.

Superb ending with a very unpredictable twist. Ties the whole story together perfectly.

Solid performances from Morgan Freeman and Brad Pitt in the lead roles. The standout performance, however, goes to Kevin Spacey who is chillingly good in his role. Reminded me a lot of his performance in The Usual Suspects.

Great work by David Fincher, directing only his second feature film (the first was Aliens 3). This movie made his career and created his trademark of clever psychological dramas with a twist. Four years, and two movies, later he would surpass even the brilliance of Se7en with one of the greatest movies of all time - Fight Club.
November 30, 2017
One of Fincher's finest, Se7en boasts fantastic performances from Brad Pitt, Morgan Freeman, Kevin Spacey, and Gwyneth Paltrow. The script is expertly written, and the attention to detail is some of the best in film history. The film also has one of the best scares in a non-horror movie (or any movie for that matter) and one of the most haunting endings ever.
November 19, 2017
david's amazing thriller type joyride , oh whats in the box?!?!!?!
November 16, 2017
It's one of those criminal movies who get me really involved. I could see personality on this direction work. Loved the photography. Kevin Spacey was fantastic on his character and the final plot twist... oh, boy.