Seven Psychopaths - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Seven Psychopaths Reviews

½ February 12, 2017
The violence and black comedy mesh well together, entertaining fair that's all largely surface.
February 7, 2017
Why the hell has it taken me so long to watch this movie?! Shame on me.

Thoroughly enjoyed.
January 15, 2017
This is a great movie that will engage you from the first scene to the last, fab music too. The plot is clever without being up its own arse. Surely this will attain classic status over the years? Great performances from Christopher Walken, Sam Rockwell and Tom Waits particularly. Highly recommended.
January 3, 2017
It's good movie to watch
½ December 13, 2016
Colin Farrell, Sam Rockwell and Christopher fucking Walken in the same film? Sold.

Marty is a struggling writer in Hollywood who wants to finish his latest script, as he only has the name so far: "Seven Psychopaths". His friend Billy, a temperamental actor who makes a living by kidnapping dogs with his partner Hans, tries to encourage him finish his script. One day, Hans and Billy kidnap the dog of a violent mob boss, who doesn't take kindly the disappearance of his dog, so begins a wacky adventure that will inspire Marty to finish his script.

While I love the three leads and I've heard good things about this film, I was preoccupied as this falls into what I label 'nonsense films' (the plot is ludicrous, irrelevant and keeps getting crazier as it goes along, the characters are cartoons, comedy that tries too hard, fast pacing, and overconfident direction) and normally I don't like them (I hate "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang" and I have mix feelings about "The Big Lebowski", just to mention a few examples) but after seeing it I have to say I was surprised. "Seven Psychopaths" has fantastic acting (each actor understood the type of film they were in), the characters are the cartoonish type that you would expect for a film like this, but they are so over the top and full of charisma (I haven't seen such dumb, over the top but charismatic lead characters since John Goodman in "Big Lebowski"), McDonagh's direction comes up like a mixture of Ruben Fleischer and Tarantino (imagine a Tarantino script with "Zombieland" directing style), the dialog is hilarious (even if it is an attempt to duplicate Tarantino's style), and it is perfectly fast paced.

"Seven Psychopaths" is an over the top film that works thanks to its cast and its Tarantino wannabe script. Highly enjoyable, dumb, meta, over the top, charming, and it doesn't overstay its welcome. One of the few nonsense films I like.
December 5, 2016
A crazy ride of a film that doesn't let go. Plenty of meta humor and interesting characters make this film.
November 11, 2016
Had a cousin who would not shut up about how great this movie was. Therefore, I have gone 4 years trying to avoid watching this movie out of spite... Really sucks because I wanted to see this movie and it looks great.
November 10, 2016
i seriously could not figure out another way how this movie could be better to be hounest ... Seriously ,...
November 9, 2016
Brilliantly hysterical in every way.
½ October 27, 2016
Amazing dialogue and characters, an original entertaining story, the directing is great and the performances are incredible.
½ October 22, 2016
3,5/5 Ratings for Seven Psychopath
F: 70%
R: 30%
Crime Comedy Thriller Horror
October 17, 2016
Smartly written and hilariously over-the-top.
October 14, 2016
While it lacks the bite of McDonagh's debut "In Bruges", on it's own terms Seven Psychopaths is a sharp, gruesome and enjoyable romp with a humorous crime set that's more of less as an excuse to pick fun of genre tropes and film making in general.
August 23, 2016
Seven Psychopaths is a fantastic dramedy with entertaining characters, smart social commentary, insane violence and a near-perfect balance of laugh out loud comedy and heartfelt drama about the struggles of being a writer.
August 22, 2016
Bloody, darkly funny, entertaining, and above all well acted. These are the reasons why "seven psychopaths" is one of my all-time favorite movies.
August 17, 2016
Not your typical Hollywood film
August 13, 2016
Disappointed with this. The trailers made it look really good. Barely watchable.
July 25, 2016
It's got some funny jokes, and a great setup, but I found Seven Psychopaths to be a mostly underwhelming endeavor.
½ July 21, 2016
Great movie, great acting and a sublime story.
jamrcla
½ July 20, 2016
A very dark comedy that's funny in places but i'm still deciding if I enjoyed the story or not as it was very different but it felt like it didn't know where to go or what to do next, But because it was random we didn't know what was going to happen next, All the cast were great and it was violent and bloody, Its not going to appeal to everyone but stick in there and you will find that it was all worth it in a weird sort of way.