Seven Psychopaths - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Seven Psychopaths Reviews

½ February 16, 2018
Very funny and entertaining movie. Great cast and well told.
½ February 11, 2018
Such a great blend of characters, plot, acting, and dialogue
February 3, 2018
Didn't find it very funny.
January 30, 2018
Seven Psychopaths retains the signature marks from writer-diretor Martin McDonagh - like the black humour and the witty script - and adds up a bunch of great performances - particularly Sam Rockwell.
January 27, 2018
Very different. Entertaining and distiurbing.
December 23, 2017
Imperfect movie with a special place in my heart. Compared to In Bruges it's almost a disaster but, as far as disasters go, It's a fun one. Also, Harrelson and Rockwell kill it!
½ December 8, 2017
Came in wanting to love this, but came away thinking it was only alright. The meta movie commentary gets kinda old and is too cutesy at times.
November 20, 2017
For Martin McDonagh's sophomore picture (following his fairly excellent debut feature In Bruges), the writer seems to want to say something personal. Seven Psychopaths is blatantly trying to uncover the writing process, as well as lampoon Hollywood, but unfortunately it's meshed into an uneven crime film. A shame, cause the film initially seems to really understand post-Tarantino cool, with the slickly written dialogue between it's highly eccentric cast of characters, as well as with the humorous gore. In fact, the film works incredibly well until the last act, when the script inexplicably becomes lazy and uncreative. Any message McDonagh seems to want to say goes right through the cracks, during the flat ending. It's enough to make any film nerd stand up and scream, "What happened?!?!...oh right, the studio."

P.S. This also really irked me. Abbie Cornish and Olga Kurrlenko both have minimal roles in the movie despite what advertising would have you believe. That's right, those hot European actresses are solely on the poster for marketing purposes. Further proof that I think McDonagh needs to work with new producers for his next film.
November 10, 2017
funniest black humour i have ever seen...
½ October 3, 2017
Ha ha!
There you go, no need for fancy oscar's, a true cinema with witty dialogue and clever cinematography make this bizzaro story come to life!
a very nice surpise on the evening TV, recommended for crazy heads.
½ September 25, 2017
Martin McDonagh wants to be like Quintin Tarantino, but he's not even close. Don't waste your time watching this film. The Tomatometer for this film should be no more than 50%. Can't believe so many amazing actors agreed to work on it.
½ September 1, 2017
Seven Psychopaths is a clever, subversive, and hilarious satire of offensiveness in movies.
August 31, 2017
An interesting dark comedy.
August 27, 2017
One crazy film with a great cast. Reminds me of Pulp Fiction in nature. Is definitely over violent and gory for no reason at times.
August 23, 2017
An intricate, witty and uber creative story that gets better and better with every viewing.
July 21, 2017
A very thought provoking movie...I really recommend it! The end was unsatisfactory but the movie actually deals with that...it's really great!...especially after thinking about it a while...at first I was thinking it was just okay but it just stuck with me in a way a lot of stories don't so I think I just had to give it another star...and recommend it.
July 2, 2017
Stylish in the vein of Tarantino or Guy Ritchie, but the story is lacking.
June 26, 2017
The 7 Psychopaths is an Excellent, unique film that creates its own genre. It is a dark, violent action comedy that at the same time makes you question deep issues like vengeance, and the void we all will face with our impending death.
The film is written and directed by filmmaker Martin McDonagh, who made the admired "In Bruges," starring Colin Farrell. The talented duo reunited for this film with Farrell playing the protagonist, a failed screenwriter named Marty. Marty is played by Farrell as a struggling screenwriter who seems to have gone though life getting by on his good looks. Marty is writing a script called "The 7 Psychopaths," but he is stuck in a writing rut, afflicted with the virus that infects all writers at one time, writer's block.
Marty's "unofficial" best friend is his actor pal Billy, played by Sam Rockwell. Billy is likeable, but dense, blowing up an acting audition when he insults the Director that would hire him. Billy soon becomes obsessed with helping Marty with his story, with some unexpected results. When Billy isn't auditioning and or lying about, he has a side gig with his older, scarf wearing friend Hans, as they kidnap dogs from wealthy areas and hold them for ransom. Hans is played by one of the greatest character actors of my generation, Christopher Walken.
Things go south for our "outside the box" entrepreneurs when they mistakenly steal the dog of a Gangster played by Woody Harrelson. Harrelson is at times cold blooded, yet also pathetic as he longs for his missing pooch. The missing dog brings about several gruesome deaths, but hey that why they are called dogs "Man's Best Friend!"
The first half of this movie seems at times like senseless violence, for violence sake. Please don't give up on this film like I almost did, because the talented Director completely changes the tone of the second half of this movie. I found it quite remarkable because the change in tone was plausible and integral to the story. It takes great confidence for a filmmaker to be daring, and it is done with great skill.
Tom Waits the musician, when he isn't acting, is unrecognizable in an important role as a serial killer who Marty interviews as research for his story.
For me, the definition of a Great film is whether you want to see it a second time. This film almost demands a second viewing, to appreciate the witty dialogue, and excellent acting. I highly recommend this film, and please watch through the credits as there is an interesting final twist.
June 25, 2017
Super funny, and extremely well done.
June 4, 2017
Love this movie! Awesome characters and inventive story line. Outstanding acting. ~ the best