Seven Psychopaths - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Seven Psychopaths Reviews

July 21, 2017
A very thought provoking movie...I really recommend it! The end was unsatisfactory but the movie actually deals with that...it's really great!...especially after thinking about it a while...at first I was thinking it was just okay but it just stuck with me in a way a lot of stories don't so I think I just had to give it another star...and recommend it.
July 2, 2017
Stylish in the vein of Tarantino or Guy Ritchie, but the story is lacking.
June 26, 2017
The 7 Psychopaths is an Excellent, unique film that creates its own genre. It is a dark, violent action comedy that at the same time makes you question deep issues like vengeance, and the void we all will face with our impending death.
The film is written and directed by filmmaker Martin McDonagh, who made the admired "In Bruges," starring Colin Farrell. The talented duo reunited for this film with Farrell playing the protagonist, a failed screenwriter named Marty. Marty is played by Farrell as a struggling screenwriter who seems to have gone though life getting by on his good looks. Marty is writing a script called "The 7 Psychopaths," but he is stuck in a writing rut, afflicted with the virus that infects all writers at one time, writer's block.
Marty's "unofficial" best friend is his actor pal Billy, played by Sam Rockwell. Billy is likeable, but dense, blowing up an acting audition when he insults the Director that would hire him. Billy soon becomes obsessed with helping Marty with his story, with some unexpected results. When Billy isn't auditioning and or lying about, he has a side gig with his older, scarf wearing friend Hans, as they kidnap dogs from wealthy areas and hold them for ransom. Hans is played by one of the greatest character actors of my generation, Christopher Walken.
Things go south for our "outside the box" entrepreneurs when they mistakenly steal the dog of a Gangster played by Woody Harrelson. Harrelson is at times cold blooded, yet also pathetic as he longs for his missing pooch. The missing dog brings about several gruesome deaths, but hey that why they are called dogs "Man's Best Friend!"
The first half of this movie seems at times like senseless violence, for violence sake. Please don't give up on this film like I almost did, because the talented Director completely changes the tone of the second half of this movie. I found it quite remarkable because the change in tone was plausible and integral to the story. It takes great confidence for a filmmaker to be daring, and it is done with great skill.
Tom Waits the musician, when he isn't acting, is unrecognizable in an important role as a serial killer who Marty interviews as research for his story.
For me, the definition of a Great film is whether you want to see it a second time. This film almost demands a second viewing, to appreciate the witty dialogue, and excellent acting. I highly recommend this film, and please watch through the credits as there is an interesting final twist.
June 25, 2017
Super funny, and extremely well done.
June 4, 2017
Love this movie! Awesome characters and inventive story line. Outstanding acting. ~ the best
½ May 14, 2017
Absorbing, fun and memorable movie
April 3, 2017
Intriguing. Sam Rockwell reminds me Edward Norton in a way.
March 30, 2017
Might watch it again, but as of now, I loved it.
March 21, 2017
This movie is as brilliant a movie can get, it got everything. It is exactly the movie they tried to write in the movie.
March 13, 2017
Excellent! First class staff and a first class plot. Original, entertaining, funny and exciting.
March 12, 2017
I really tried to get into the unique style of this movie but ultimately was made uncomfortable by most of it. The movie has a nonsensical story and situations that don't really add up. I think the actors do their best with the material given to them but ultimately they can't save this movie.I was just waiting for this movie to end, it feels much longer than it is. I didn't find it really all that funny, considering it supposed to be a comedy. It has some cool moments of over the top violence and dialogue that I would've probably enjoyed if the story made any sense.
½ February 12, 2017
The violence and black comedy mesh well together, entertaining fair that's all largely surface.
February 7, 2017
Why the hell has it taken me so long to watch this movie?! Shame on me.

Thoroughly enjoyed.
January 15, 2017
This is a great movie that will engage you from the first scene to the last, fab music too. The plot is clever without being up its own arse. Surely this will attain classic status over the years? Great performances from Christopher Walken, Sam Rockwell and Tom Waits particularly. Highly recommended.
January 3, 2017
It's good movie to watch
½ December 13, 2016
Colin Farrell, Sam Rockwell and Christopher fucking Walken in the same film? Sold.

Marty is a struggling writer in Hollywood who wants to finish his latest script, as he only has the name so far: "Seven Psychopaths". His friend Billy, a temperamental actor who makes a living by kidnapping dogs with his partner Hans, tries to encourage him finish his script. One day, Hans and Billy kidnap the dog of a violent mob boss, who doesn't take kindly the disappearance of his dog, so begins a wacky adventure that will inspire Marty to finish his script.

While I love the three leads and I've heard good things about this film, I was preoccupied as this falls into what I label 'nonsense films' (the plot is ludicrous, irrelevant and keeps getting crazier as it goes along, the characters are cartoons, comedy that tries too hard, fast pacing, and overconfident direction) and normally I don't like them (I hate "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang" and I have mix feelings about "The Big Lebowski", just to mention a few examples) but after seeing it I have to say I was surprised. "Seven Psychopaths" has fantastic acting (each actor understood the type of film they were in), the characters are the cartoonish type that you would expect for a film like this, but they are so over the top and full of charisma (I haven't seen such dumb, over the top but charismatic lead characters since John Goodman in "Big Lebowski"), McDonagh's direction comes up like a mixture of Ruben Fleischer and Tarantino (imagine a Tarantino script with "Zombieland" directing style), the dialog is hilarious (even if it is an attempt to duplicate Tarantino's style), and it is perfectly fast paced.

"Seven Psychopaths" is an over the top film that works thanks to its cast and its Tarantino wannabe script. Highly enjoyable, dumb, meta, over the top, charming, and it doesn't overstay its welcome. One of the few nonsense films I like.
December 5, 2016
A crazy ride of a film that doesn't let go. Plenty of meta humor and interesting characters make this film.
November 11, 2016
Had a cousin who would not shut up about how great this movie was. Therefore, I have gone 4 years trying to avoid watching this movie out of spite... Really sucks because I wanted to see this movie and it looks great.
November 10, 2016
i seriously could not figure out another way how this movie could be better to be hounest ... Seriously ,...
November 9, 2016
Brilliantly hysterical in every way.