Severed Ways: The Norse Discovery of America Reviews

• Jan 25, 2014

bends history some but still good axctioner

bends history some but still good axctioner

• Jan 31, 2013

Only three stars because 5 stars are reserved for EXCEPTIONAL Films only. Don't let the bad reviews fool you. It's a definite must see unless you have neither the patience nor the imagination to sit through an unconventional film. If so then you're not going to like this one. This is no Braveheart but it's entertaining nonetheless. Bear in mind this comes from someone who doesn't like plots spoon fed to him. Hats off to Mr. Stone for going out there and braving the wilderness both physically and artistically and bringing to life an almost science fictional account of a 1000 year old history. I would rather see this film than some big budget historical piece of the same genre. Brilliant story and photography. The dubbed dialogue was a disappointment as he clipped a couple of random lines from at least one Scandinavian film. Wish he would have asked me, I would have found him a better alternative. Don't stop making Films Mr. Stone! You're on the right course for sure!

• Feb 02, 2012

What should be exciting subject matter turns (vikings vs native americans) out to be ADD driven storytelling with a pointless script that just makes the whole movie tedious and boring to watch. And it looks like a student film saved by editing.

• Jan 25, 2012

SEVERED WAYS: THE NORSE DISCOVERY OF AMERICA

SEVERED WAYS: THE NORSE DISCOVERY OF AMERICA

• Jul 23, 2011

In the 11th century the Vikings discovered America. The Vikings set foot on land and met the native Indians. The Vikings and the Indians started trading until one of the Indians was caught stealing a axe, and then a battle ensued with many Vikings and Indians dying, some of the Vikings escaped to their boats and went back to Greenland. There was 2 vikings who were sent out on a scouting mission before the vikings met the Indians. This is the story of those 2 vikings and their quest to survive and apparently walk back to Greenland. Good luck with that. This is a fictional story based off historical writings. This movie is in subtitles. If you dislike reading subtitles no worries as the movie has very little dialogue. Somethings that bothered me was between chapters you got short handfuls of heavy metal music, while it was not annoying, I prefer my music to fit the generation. Also the little dialogue that was used had lines like "This fish tastes killer" . When I was a kid killer was not even used in that context, I doubt that the Vikings used it in that context. The dialogue along with the music could of been better suited for the 11th century. I felt someone wrote this movie based off a idea and they had a ending in mind, then the rest of the movie was made up as they went along. There was not much of a story as it was basically 2 vikings surviving, you could say 1 of the characters was discovering himself in the story. I did not dislike the movie to the point where I was going to turn it off, but while watching the movie I did wish I had chosen several other movies to watch instead of Severed Ways. On the plus side the movie had beautiful scenery, but if I want to watch beautiful scenery there is plenty of National Geographic shows that would be more educational and just as enjoyable to watch than Severed Ways.

• Jul 15, 2011

very scenic , beautifully shot viking movie with a modern black metal soundtrack

• Jun 18, 2011

I'll give it to the director that this was an interesting stab at bringing black metal into a decent enough story about vikings stranded in North America. But the film shows at almost every moment exactly how low budget it is, the dubbing wasn't very good (Norwegian? Swedish? ....I kinda doubt it was Old Norse) though I guess it was better than English dialog, cinematography was spectacular in places, hand held camera shots going through the forests were overly dizzying. Soundtrack was strange...not a fan of the Burzum ambient track used, but everything else was interesting for the soundtrack....could've done without the interlude headbanging scene though :P

• May 04, 2011

Odd, to say the least!

Odd, to say the least!

• Apr 10, 2011

It was promising for maybe the first twenty minutes. But then I had to watch a guy take a shit, and I couldn't really concentrate on the story after that.

• Apr 01, 2011

Wasted 30 mins and turned it off. Cheap, amateur, worthless junk!!

Wasted 30 mins and turned it off. Cheap, amateur, worthless junk!!