Shenandoah - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Shenandoah Reviews

½ June 27, 2016
Shenandoah is an amazing film. It is about widower farmer Charlie Anderson who lives a peaceful life with his six sons in Shenandoah, Virginia. James Stewart and Dog McClure give terrific performances. The script is well written. Andrew V. McLaglen did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the drama. Shenandoah is a must see.
May 17, 2015
above average western gr8 cast esp the awesome George Kennedy.
March 14, 2015
a powerful, well acted, anti-war film. In Stewart, they have the right actor for the right part.
½ January 13, 2015
I used to dislike a western-tasted film, but Shenandoah made exception. Beautiful act, beautiful scene and beautiful message.
September 29, 2014
A mildly interesting take on the American Civil War, and its effect on the civilian population. Poses some good questions on the morality and reasons for the war, and picking sides. More particularly, not picking sides, and the consequences thereof.

Problem is, it doesn't really answer these questions. Maybe that is the answer, that there is no solution, but some degree of attempting an answer would be good.

So-so plot. Historically inaccurate at times, and many of the battle
scenes seem quite contrived and/or flawed. Could also have been grittier - sometimes felt overly folksy and idealistic. Being made in 1965, however, I guess the producers couldn't be too graphic or tough-minded.

Decent performance by James Stewart in the lead role. However, hardly anyone else gets a word in...
September 3, 2014
A decidedly neutral Virginia family has the Civil War land right on their doorstep, claiming a heavy cost. A good cast, led by Jimmy Stewart. From 1965 but looks and feels about a decade older than that.
½ April 17, 2014
A classic James Stewart film based on the American Civil War. A family avoids choosing sides in the conflict until the youngest son is mistakenly taken as a prisoner of war.
April 13, 2014
One of my all time favorites.
½ September 19, 2013
Another one of my personal favorties. James Stewart fit the part well of Charlie Anderson.
September 11, 2013
One of the best ever western movies.
June 13, 2013
A moving semi-western with excellent performances and well-controlled mood--A period piece, not a Civil War movie!!
½ May 12, 2013
A embracing movie of a family's tragic story during the civil war.
February 22, 2013
A touching story from the Civil War
½ December 11, 2012
It is the family dynamics of this film that pull it above a mediocre Western. Stewart does an excellent job as usual.
December 7, 2012
A good film cant recall, repeat viewing
October 27, 2012
The Civil War extracts a heavy cost on a Virginian family when the youngest son is mistakenly taken prisoner as a Confederate soldier. More dated than its 1965 date indicates but a good second half. The Church reunion reminded me of Little House.
½ May 29, 2012
"If we don't try, we don't do. And if we don't do, why are we here on this Earth?" I'll be brief with this one, not too much to say. Pretty good, no wow factor. It's basically the story of Treebeard haha. Jimmy Stewart was great, as per usual, but some of his supporting cast was bleh in terms of acting. And a couple plot points were a little too unrealistic for my taste. Other than that, I had no big qualms about it. It's not even two hours long. I found this to actually be a plus: too many times a war movie is made under the condition that it must be at least 2.5 hours. It's an enjoyable Civil War flick, since it barely shows the actual battles, and instead focuses on the characters and the events that surround the war.
April 19, 2012
A little of everything, war, western, drama, comedy...well written and directed story.
January 31, 2012
It's somewhat mawkish and predicable but I think it's very successful nonetheless. It's an interesting look at the costs of getting involved in a war.