She's Having a Baby - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

She's Having a Baby Reviews

½ August 20, 2016
Newlywed couple have a baby in this yuppie romantic comedy-drama.
½ June 19, 2016
Couple struggles with parenthood in this yuppie dramedy.
May 14, 2016
I watched this movie for the first time as a teen and instantly loved it. such an awesome movie.
March 16, 2016
Probably John Hughes's best film. So many great roles--Alec Baldwin, pre Downton Abbey Elizabeth McGovern, and the indomitable Kevin Bacon. Great scene with Bacon imagining his in laws coaching him on how to impregnate McGovern, whilst sporting miner's hats.
½ September 8, 2015
John Hughes unfortunately graduates from teen films to more adult subject matter as film follows a couple from marriage to suburban middle class living. Film is from the point of view of Bacon, which is good since most of the characters around him are not that appealing. Hughes still had a few high points left in his career but this film signalled the slide.
½ July 1, 2015
The title event doesn't even happen until forty minutes into the movie. Elizabeth McGovern is criminally one-note as a criminally underwritten shrew. Kristy and Jake's relationship arc is borderline nonexistent. How did they fall for each other in the first place, and are we to believe that a baby will infuse purpose in this surface love story? Kevin Bacon plays quarter-life-crisis with stunned anxiety, and the using newspaper to plan out where furniture goes is rather clever, but the movie is a bore and a half.
½ April 27, 2015
Though not his most well-known work, this movie is one of many in the John Hughes catalogue that I enjoy. If you check out his filmography between '82 - '92, there are so many great movies we can thank John Hughes for. Kevin Bacon is excellent.
April 16, 2015
Oh wasn't this just darling....oh how I disliked this film
½ April 3, 2015
Great comedy! Love the lawnmower scene! How young the 3 leads are! This film never got the attention it deserves--it belongs up there with Uncle Buck as a John Hughes classic.
½ January 11, 2015
A departure from the trademark John Hughes teen angst fare, 'She's Having a Baby' is a more subtle comedy/drama about a young couple unprepared for adulthood. Fine performances from Kevin Bacon and Elizabeth McGovern add depth to their respective characters so that we feel the impact of the inevitable emotional punch delivered in the third act. Admittedly, the film doesn't quite reach overall expectations, but it's a nonetheless competently produced effort.
December 22, 2014
Wow, if you avoid this movie you are missing out on one of the great dark horse movies of the 80's. If you didn't have kids then, and do now - it's a must see!
½ December 13, 2014
She's boring my tits off
½ November 28, 2014
Frequently dumped on it has the usual Hughes highlights; A great cast and lovely soundtrack, and it holds up quite well.
½ October 6, 2014
Il est bien sympathique, John Hughes, avec sa vision du passage à l'âge adulte à travers le couple Kevin Bacon - Elizabeth McGovern, mais encore faut-il qu'il ait quelque chose à en dire, ce qu'il n'a pas. Kevin Bacon et Alec Baldwin ont beau être très bons, She's Having a Baby est particulièrement insignifiant, sans intérêt et surtout terriblement lent et long. Ajoutons-y une séquence finale extrêmement ridicule sur du Kate Bush et nous avons un vrai mauvais film. On peut pas faire Ferris Bueller à chaque fois.
August 4, 2014
(First and only viewing - 4/6/2013)
½ July 25, 2014
34%?? Are you frakking kidding me!? She's Having A Baby deserves 4 Stars just for that last John Hughes + Kate Bush full box of tissues scene alone!! Throw in a half for Alec Baldwin's breakout scene stealing role as KB's best friend - "Yeah, you'll be happy, you just won't know it, that's all."
May 17, 2014
Probably that only John Hughes directed film that I hadn't seen multiple times. When it came out, I was more into Hughes' Brat Pack films and wash not as into a story about young married couples and getting pregnant. Now that I'm in my 40s, I think I appreciated this film much more than I did when it originally came out. I also used to be a Kevin Bacon hater at the time, which didn't help my disposition towards the film, but now I like him much more. The story is about a young newlywed couple, Kevin Bacon and the still underused Elizabeth McGovern, and their trials and tribulations of married life and making the transition from crazy college kids to responsible adults. I was in my 30s when I got married, so I didn't identify with this part of the film so much, but it was still entertaining and done in a very honest manner. Alec Baldwin, in an early role, does a good job laying Bacon's less responsible single friend who is living the wild single life that Bacon could still see himself living. I identified more with the film about the having a baby elements and the responsibility and life change that comes with that. Watching this film now, it really reminded me of the sincere Judd Apatow comedies. Though not as outrageous as something like "The 40 Year Old Virgin" it doe shrve the same sincerity and heart at the center of the film, which makes the humor more true and identifiable. The film also has a terrific supporting cast including Holland Taylor, William Windom, Nancy Lenehan, Dennis Dugan, John Ashton, Larry Hankin (a couple standouts as bickering neighbors) and Hughes regulars like Bill Erwin, Paul Gleason and Edie McClurg. You also get Al Leong, Lili Taylor as Girl at Medical Lab and Dan Aykroyd and John Candy reprising their roles as Roman and Chet from "The Great Outdoors" and Matthew Broderick as Ferris Bueller over the end credits. On top of that, there's a fine score by the under appreciated Stewart Copeland. I also really liked the photography by Donald Peterman, a DP who I never really noticed before but who has some pretty impressive credits including "Point Break," "Men in Black" and "Get Shorty." The film does have some downsides, such as over use of fantasy sequences and some cliched characters, such as the annoying in-laws. However, most all of the film works quite well and is awfully entertaining. This film really made me miss John Hughes and I hope someone like Howard Deutch will film some of Hughes' unproduced scripts.
Cameron W. Johnson
½ April 30, 2014
"She's havin' a baby, what a lovely way of saying how much you love me". Sorry, Paul Anka, you can generalize the baby with "a", rather than "my", but there's no making that song's lyric less than a little creepy, and come to think of it, this film's title is a little unnerving... and a little lazy. Oh, well, jeez, John Hughes, is the main theme of this romantic comedy supposed to be parenthood or something like that? Say what you will, but whether it be because not to many people are lazy enough to take on a title like this, or whatever, it's original, at least in comparison with the film itself. It's not even distinguished as a John Hughes film about grown-up issues which stars someone whose surname derives from a tasty, but unhealthy snack, because first it was "Planes, Trains & Automobiles", with John Candy, and now you have this film, with Kevin Bacon. I'm making a stretch, sure, but looking at the "Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon" game, you seem to be obligated to stretch something out when Kevin Bacon is around, as this film's title won't tell you, seeing as how they must not have put too much thought into it. The film itself, however, has its inspired elements, and yet, I must admit that its lazy aspects don't end with the title.

The film is plenty refreshing, and when it's less than that, it tends to devolve to tropes, not exactly being consistently predictable, but with beats whose gradual unraveling carries some predictability which slows down momentum to an ambition to freshen up storytelling, sometimes a touch too much. There's not a whole lot of style to this film, but John Hughes, as director and writer, makes a few slightly questionable touches to storytelling style, particularly when it comes to dramatizations of Kevin Bacon's lead Jefferson "Jake" Briggs' eccentric fantasies, which are not only forced, but thin out subtlety, despite their being more unique than the narrative concept itself. These odd stylistic touches aren't especially big issues, but they stand, and they're a little harder to ignore as inconsequential once the film's storytelling seems to abandon them, sometimes for the sake of heavier, perhaps even dramatic elements which drive inconsistency in tone, but just barely. Unevenness in style and tone is there, but just barely, especially compared to an unevenness in pacing, whose tighter elements are often awkward in their hurrying, and whose more draggy elements are often repetitious, resulting in a lack of certainty to momentum so extreme and recurrent that the film gets to be aimless. To make matters worse, as lively as John Hughes keeps a lot of things as director, there are dry spells where a certain quietness or simple steadiness to directorial pacing comes into play, maybe dulling things down, and certainly stiffening already questionable pacing that gets the final product to an almost 110-minute runtime which its narrative might not be meaty enough to sustain. Natural shortcomings to this barely consequential narrative hold back potential that, well, is all but transcended, thanks to plenty of inspired and effective elements, which, alas, see too great a challenge within the unevenness for underwhelmingness to go overcome. The film falls shy of rewarding, but for what this is, that's impressive, for although natural shortcomings and inconsistencies shake momentum, there's enough engagement value to make quite the entertaining flick.

Entertainment value is even reinforced by the musical value of the film, which alternates between old-fashioned song and solid, then-contemporary tunes of the latter '80s that aren't too clichéd, and liven things up, thanks partly to their clever utilization within Hughes' direction. Hughes, at least as director, drives much of the entertainment value of the film through style, because even though Hughes' writing has some questionable stylistic touches, Hughes' direction has a snap to its plays on visuals and Alan Heim's editing which keeps momentum brisk, until broken by slower storytelling touches that, while often steady to the point of blandness, draw you in when they most need to, particularly with a surprisingly penetrating final act. Alternating between fun and thoughtful, Hughes' direction is what most drives the final product to the brink of rewarding, over which it can't quite cross, partly due to the natural shortcomings that Hughes faces as a filmmaker whose directorial skills outweigh his narrative skills. There's not much to this film's story concept, and yet, it's plenty interesting, interpreting relatable subject matter dealing with the evolution of a couple and of the reinforcement of a husband's masculinity in a manner whose more lighthearted elements are fun and whose more weighty aspects are compelling, even in a concept that Hughes brings to life in a script which, at the same time, holds the final product back. If Hughes' script was more refreshing, realized in style, and even in tone and pacing, the final product might have actually stood a chance of transcending its minimalist story concept's potential and achieving a rewarding point, yet at the same time, the film owes much of its engagement value to Hughes' direction and writing, which has its share of solid, refreshing set pieces, as well as dialogue that is often literary in its snap, and consistently complimentary to a strong sense of humor that ranges from amusing to near-hilarious. As for the deeper aspects of Hughes' writing, while characterization seems to focus too much on the Jake Briggs protagonist, to the point of even underplaying the should-be almost equally significant Kristy Briggs role, the film is driven by grounded and memorable characters, brought to life by grounded and memorable performances, with Alec Baldwin stealing the spotlight every time he steps under it through his classic electric chemistry, while Kevin Bacon's portrayal of a passionate, but quiet everyman who embraces and questions many of the paths taken in his life is impeccable, with enough charming and convincingness to make quite the worthy lead. Bacon's individual charisma, and chemistry with his peers, is a delight that drives the film about as much as highlights in Hughes' direction and writing, of which there aren't enough to make a truly strong affair, but enough to make an almost rewardingly entertaining one.

When it's all said and done, a minimalist story of limited consequence could have been made into a rewarding opus if it wasn't so challenged by a lack of originality in certain places, the occasional questionable stylistic choice, and an unevenness in tone and pace, for the solid soundtrack, slickly paced, when not thoughtful highlights in John Hughes' stylish direction and snappy writing, and charismatic acting - especially from worthy leading man Kevin Bacon - prove to be enough to make the lazily titled "She's Having a Baby" a generally very entertaining and sometimes compellingly inspired, if ultimately held back dramedy.

2.75/5 - Decent
April 4, 2014
Uhmmm....yeah, this was boring
February 16, 2014
A serviceable film that fails to hit Hughe's sky-high standard