Reviews

• Sep 10, 2013

This is Korea's answer to Tom Clancy and they did it pretty well. Fueled by john woo style action and a backdrop of national pride for the drama, it is Korea's mark in cinema. Though I'd like to see more action from the top assassin Hee instead of her gullible love affair. Her character reminds me a lot Crying Freeman which is fascinating. It could have been better also if they took away the love story and focused on the north and southern conflict.

• Aug 24, 2013

Pretty decent action flick, but it goes on far too long. I basically got it cause the library had it and I have always wanted to see more on my LOST favorite, Yunjin Kim. She was good here, as was the whole cast, and the plot was kind of good: the bomb stuff the bad guys use is pretty amazing. The action scenes are really good, minus the middle chase scene that must have been filmed by a guy having a seizure, and it's really violent in areas. I loved what happened when they tried to capture the female bad guy!!! I thought the twist was quite easy to discover, especially if you just put the easiest clues together. It just needed to be a bit tighter in story wise, as the first half can really drag in a few areas, but that final soccer match was pretty sweet!

• Aug 18, 2013

70% action + 30% heart = 100% satisfaction

70% action + 30% heart = 100% satisfaction

• Aug 16, 2013

A sleeper spy Korean action film that toys with the economic disparities between South and North Korea and the motivations for unification. The emotional sway and political back story is actually quite intriguing until the final 10 minutes where it derails and Kang Je-Kyu refuses to close it out properly almost as if he fell in love with his female character and wanted to deliver a swan song like many Korean dramas. Up until that point the first hour and 45 minutes is pulse pounding, kinetic and for an action film surprisingly well thought out. First time rating: 6.3/10 (if the finale was edited this rating would be far higher)

• May 11, 2013

"Features explosive effects and flashy action best viewed on a large screen." "Compelling, kinetic, fast and furious." "A huge box-office hit in Korea, Shiri is a must for genre fans." A very exciting political drama starring Song Kang-ho. Oldboy and the woman from Lost. SKollywood classic. Spoiler Alert: It was Hydra the whole time!

• Apr 15, 2012

A good way to summarize this film is: It's a 2 hour Korean Soap Opera that would think more about Action than Drama with nicely made action sequences and A LOT of Bullets. The drama night be over the top, but you can actually sit through this without suffering from the main flaws of Drama.

• Feb 01, 2012

I liked this. A nice gunfight action movie. With enough story to keep you interested.

• Dec 03, 2011

One of the biggest films from Korea. Should be exciting but strangely it never really gets going. Lots of recognisable korean actors but no one stands out. And that cover........totally and utterly misleading!

• Nov 05, 2011

Good conept to the movie, however was missing things. Seemed to have some plot holes or else I just was missing parts of it.

• May 29, 2011

didn't take long to guess who Hee was. the plot was a lil flaky at times and there were just a lotta bang! bang! bang! throughout. who would've expected an action flick to be quite the tearjerker as well though. shiri has got two great actors - a younger, leaner song kang-ho and choi min-sik.