Shoot 'Em Up - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Shoot 'Em Up Reviews

January 6, 2017
Fast-paced and action-packed, Shoot 'Em Up's humor, plausible narrative and terrific performances from Clive Owen and Paul Giamatti make for an entertaining and enjoyable action thriller.
January 6, 2017
Music flows with bullets
½ January 2, 2017
Bad. Just not worth it. I had high hopes because of the cast.
½ December 23, 2016
Worth the rewatch, still faults for being TOO cheesy throughout, but the overall cinematography/action/concept is legit practical wonderland shit.
December 2, 2016
Paranoid pop junk pseudo-culture cult film. Brilliant bullshit. Deliriously entertaining. The symbollical and subtextual aspects are forged and smart at a time arriving to a funny pulp result. To get out of your mind never felt better. Nice slasher piece of art (I mean, CRAP, lol).
jamrcla
July 29, 2016
Shoot 'Em Up is the kind of film that's perfect to watch with your mates and just enjoy its nonsense and that's all it's good for, The story is simple and nothing new but the action is so OTT that we can't help but love it and when Clive Owen kills two people with a raw carrot we all know what kind of film it is, It's bloody and silly but it works well, Clive Owens dry humour works perfect as the film never takes itself seriously, It has everything a growing boy needs.
July 17, 2016
Great movie, deserves all the praise it gets!! One of my all time favourite action movies!!
½ June 27, 2016
I like Clive Owen.  I like Paul Giamatti.  I like the idea of Giamatti playing one nasty bad guy.  I did not like this movie.  Owen plays Smith but why should we care?  Why should we care about the pregnant woman or the baby he saves?  Why should we care about poor hooker Donna Quintano, Monica Bellucci, who traded her normal life for her current one after giving birth to a stillborn baby.  And Smith, why should we care his wife and child died from guns he sold?  These are all terrible things which would lead a moviegoer to develop some feeling for the characters on screen.  However, the order in which these facts are presented are not conducive to said feeling.  By the time you find out all this information it's too late.  As I said, why care?  And there are a lot of silly stunts by Smith.  No big deal right?  Add a baby to the silly stunts and please.  Really?  So you're telling me flopping all around with a newborn is not going to hurt his development?  And this baby isn't going to have hearing problems from the excessive gun shots he's heard?  Please. Alternate title for this flick: How Many Ways Can Smith Use a Carrot as a Weapon?.  No joke.  This ridiculousness happens way too frequently for my tastes.  Bottom line: avoid.
½ June 3, 2016
Balls to the wall frenetic action and carrot-laced black comedy mix in this silly, cathartic and entertaining ride. I haven't seen anything quite like it since the Jason Statham vehicle, Crank.
May 4, 2016
This movie does what it does best - non stop over the top action entertainment.
April 29, 2016
the greatest Bugs Bunny action movie EVER. I love Clive Owen and Bugs Bunny
April 28, 2016
Really stupid, in a good way. Over the top action. Everyone in the movie takes everything so seriously, which only adds to the effect.
February 7, 2016
Fun and funny. Good action and humor, A good illustration of the consummate reluctant hero and a fallen woman doing the right thing.
½ February 1, 2016
commercials make it look good, so i'll be seeing this one soon.
December 8, 2015
Very entertaining and different movie with a fun tone. Really cool creative unrealistic action. But it also had a good story and acting. Lots of funny moments as well. "You know what I hate..." (about 4 viewings)
½ November 30, 2015
131022: The day I purchased this movie, the release day, I also posted on Facebook "Now in my hands". Well, from my hands to the garage sale pile. Few redeeming features in this western fan's opinion. All that waiting. Save your money.
½ November 11, 2015
OK I don't usually review full-on action films but I just needed to write one for Shoot 'Em Up. When your resume's most popular item reads Monster Man (2003 starring Eric Jungmann), you know directors like Michael Davis has only so much to offer. And hence, another why-even-bother film makes its way to the big screens to torture our eyes and insult our intelligence. It's pretty easy to deduce, when you can't make a decent horror movie, you make a comedy-horror (Monster Man); and when you know you will fail in coming up with a watchable action flick, you make a comedy-action (Shoot 'Em Up). I still find it hard to believe that a credible ensemble like Clive Owen, Paul Giamatti and Monica Bellucci can exist in a wretched quality film like this.
Owen stars as Smith, a drifter who can't stop chewing on carrots like Bugs Bunny, and ends up saving the life of a baby named Oliver from being hunted by a group of hitmen led by Karl Hertz (Giamatti). As Smith dashes through a series of jaw-dropping stunts where "villains shoot a thousand times but miss and hero shoots once it's bullseye", he soon realises the hunt for baby Oliver is ridiculously tied to a politic scandal. In order to salvage the film with some eye-candy, the plot will also include Smith attempting to hide the baby with a lactating prostitute named Donna (Bellucci).
I promised myself that I will not waste more than twenty minutes to review this film, so suffice to say, it's basically action choreographed for a 9 year old, plot written for a 12 year old, and a patience challenge for a saint. Call it a black comedy or a comedy-action all you want, garbage is still garbage. The producer claims that the film is intended to poke fun at the Americans obsession with guns, breasts and violence; but the only people I'm laughing at are those who actually made this film. If you ever wonder how many ways you can use carrots to kill people, this is a must watch.
November 11, 2015
Just watched it after 8 years... Still funny :D
½ October 22, 2015
Even Monica Belluci's tits can't save this horrible, dull and excessively over-the-top film.