Side Effects - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Side Effects Reviews

October 19, 2017
Side Effects is an okay, not great, but okay movie. Pretty realistic as far as the pharmaceuticals go. But I can't say I am a big fan of Rooney Mara. I don't dislike her, but she just doesn't impress me that much. Emily Blunt, I think, would have been better in this one.
August 21, 2017
8/10 A great suspense thriller, constantly questioning your sympathy for the main hero. A little gem.
½ August 21, 2017
GREG: (Greg Smith, Founder of Agile Writers of Richmond, VA) Watching Side Effects had the unusual side effect of making me sleepy.

SCOTT: (Dr. Scott Allison, Professor of Psychology, University of Richmond) Sounds to me like you watched Sighed Effects.

GREG: Emily Taylor (Rooney Mara) welcomes her husband (Channing Tatum) home from a 4-year stint in a federal prison. She s trying to be a good wife, but she suffers from depression. She attempts suicide and finds herself in a hospital where resident psychiatrist Jonathan Banks (Jude Law) prescribes some medication for her and asks her to visit him in his offices. After consulting with her old doctor, Victoria Siebert (Catherine Zeta-Jones), he prescribes a new drug, Ablixa. Things are dicey on this drug - Emily has strange bouts of sleep-walking and one night murders her husband while in a drug-induced haze.

SCOTT: Emily is brought to trial and Banks testifies on her behalf, arguing to the court that she killed her husband while she was under the influence of Ablixa. Emily is found not guilty by reason of insanity. But meanwhile, Banks career and his personal life are in ruins. He is criticized for not anticipating the side effect, for getting paid to dispense Ablixa to patients, and for developing inappropriately close relationships with Emily and a previous female client. The remainder of the movie is spent watching Banks try to piece his life back together.

GREG: Scott, this movie confused me. It starts out like a typical cause film, leading us down the path of a woman who has used little-tested psychiatric drugs and something terrible has happened. What I expected was a lesson in how important it is to be cautious with mood-altering drugs. But the story took a hard turn, switching heroes from Emily and her challenges, to Jonathan and his problems now that he s associated with a bad case. Later, the story takes yet another turn that leads us down a third path. I m not sure if I should be impressed with the movie-makers cleverness at keeping me off-balance, or annoyed that I didn t get one movie with a strong message. Instead, I get three movies for the price of one. I cannot decide if this is a watered-down story or a bargain.

SCOTT: There is indeed a twist, Greg, and I m thankful for it. I would have been disappointed if the movie had only been about the side effects of medication and the legal implications of these unexpected effects. Maybe I enjoyed this movie because I m a psychologist who appreciates the rare portrayal of a good therapist in the movies. Our hero Jonathan is a competent, compassionate doctor who makes a couple of minor mistakes and pays dearly for them. Side Effects is intriguing, deceptive, and intelligently made. Rooney Mara deserves credit for masterfully playing us, our hero Jonathan, and the entire legal system to the hilt. In our recent review of The Fifth Estate, I mentioned how much I enjoy seeing Benedict Cumberbatch play dark loose cannon characters. Rooney Mara is the female equivalent of Cumberbatch. Her slightly off-kilter nonverbal mannerisms are alarmingly alluring. She is essentially reprising her role in The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo here.

GREG: You re right about the performances. Our three leads handle the twists with ease. Jude Law, in particular plays Banks at first as a competent psychiatrist, then an obsessive bent in proving his innocence, and finally as a man redeemed. It s a great arc for a hero. The problem I have is that the movie flips our heroes and it s a little hard to know who we re rooting for. But that definitely added to the suspense. I enjoyed Side Effects and recommend it. I give it 3 Reels out of 5 for an off-kilter presentation and 3 Heroes out of 5 for switching our affections and our attention from one hero to another. Movie: Heroes:

SCOTT: Side Effects is an effective psychological thriller that owes its success to outstanding performances by Law, Mara, and Zeta-Jones and some slick direction from Steven Soderbergh. The movie raises several interesting issues about the dispensation of mood-enhancing drugs and the legal liabilities associated with prescribing medications. Side Effects made me think, and it made me feel, too. That s high praise for any movie these days. I m impressed enough to award it 4 Reels out of 5. The hero story was interesting. Certainly Banks is thrown into an unfamiliar world and has to claw his way out of it. He doesn t get much help, as the cops, his wife, and his fellow psychologists all turn against him. Nor is there a mentor, a father figure, a sidekick, or a love interest (other than his wife). Does Banks emerge a changed man? As with many movies, we cannot say. I suspect he will now lead a more professionally cautious life and will attend to his family more. Because of all the gaps in the classic hero journey, I can only give Banks 3 Heroes out of 5. Movie: Heroes:
½ July 19, 2017
Started off intriguing, but became boring. The story is pretty good, it just takes insignificant turns.
July 15, 2017
Side Effects is a tightly wound film wrapped in a shroud of mystery until the final minutes. The plot starts off simple enough, but layers and layers are placed on top, and Jude Law's character is at the center of it. As far as the performances, they were all really great, especially Rooney Mara and Jude Law, I'm a fan of both actors and I was really impressed with how they handled their screen time. Tatum doesn't have a nearly as well written character, but he did well for what was given to him, which is difficult to do. I really can't say much without spoiling too much that I didn't know before the film, all I can say is that I would recommend it to anyone who is interested in seeing Soderbergh in some of his best work
July 5, 2017
Maybe I just need to avoid Soderbergh films. People seem to enjoy them, but I never can. A dull, dry flick that never hooked me and felt like it dragged on forever.
June 18, 2017
Side Effects presume ser um filme sobre o campo minado ético que é a indústria farmacêutica, e expõe o grau de adivinhação inerente no diagnósticos de saúde mental e os riscos que isso representa para o paciente. A direção é fantástica mas o roteiro perde a linha e não sabe mais explorar o tema imposto, fazendo com que o final seja um pouco turbulento e confuso.
June 17, 2017
A provocative thriller that offers intelligence and solid surprises. A very good performance by Rooney Mara !
June 11, 2017
This should look interesting, Is this another film about drugs... or something else?
½ June 2, 2017
Worst thriller ever with drugs
May 5, 2017
Great classic thriller!
April 13, 2017
Pulled me in with the Twists. Check it off the List
½ April 4, 2017
Beware of the bitches. Psychopaths are a dime a dozen in anglala of the south aka the USA. The film started as a sleeper about a sleepwalker case of killing. Rooney being not that well known helped fool us into it. Then clues do not escape the psychiatrist but is he losing his mind as well? Only an experiment can clear this puzzle. Very well done, very well thought. We are kept in the dark just enough to be able to guess what comes next. Good plot twists and an ending that gives more chills. Beware of the pychopathic bitches people, beware! Especially the lesbians...
½ March 23, 2017
There were some unexpected twists, but that couldn't save what was mostly a boring and uninvolving movie. I certainly would not refer to this as a thriller. (First and only viewing - 2/28/2017)
March 4, 2017
Women are liars and whores. This movie is an omen of what is to come.
½ February 16, 2017
Seems smart but its twist are quite insulting for your intellect, when you think about it ;-)
February 9, 2017
Started strong, but undone by a lame ending.
February 9, 2017
Side Effects is a dark but immensely satisfying psychology caper.
½ February 6, 2017
So much situational irony, I loved it.
January 26, 2017
Jude Law protagonista al Dr. Banks, un psiquiatra que deberá lidiar con un complicado caso en el que una paciente depresiva, Emily, (Rooney Mara), le es administrada una nueva droga experimental cuyos efectos secundarios podrían quitarle estado de conciencia. En ese ambiente, el marido de Emily (Channing Tatum) comprobará que los efectos laterales de esta droga afectan el normal comportamiento de su esposa, trayendo consecuencias totalmente inesperadas