Silent Movie Reviews

• May 05, 2019

The best comedy movie ever made! With the best movie quote ever spoken: "Non!"

The best comedy movie ever made! With the best movie quote ever spoken: "Non!"

Alec B Super Reviewer
    Jan 01, 2019

One of Brooks' most underrated movies, as there are some truly inspired gags (the carousel scene in particular is wonderfully outrageous) and the meta commentary is still relevant.

• Jun 04, 2017

I had never actually seen 'Silent Movie' till now and for being filmed in 1976 many of the gags still hold up. I remember a few years ago purposely avoiding this movie because I knew it was literally a silent movie and did not want to see it for that reason. Now trying to expand my film knowledge, I can say I was dumb at the time a silent movie about making a silent movie is actually quite brilliant. With Brooks, Felfmand and DeLuise as the main characters they are on the A game each playing a piece of a wonderful puzzle and connecting with many great cameos from stars like Burt Reynolds and Bernadette Peters. This is also one of my favorite Sid Caesar performances that I have seen. Five minutes in I was already laughing at the slapstick gags very reminiscent of the actual old silent movies and stars of that time period. With only one word of dialogue, the lack of actual spoken word allows this movie to hold up over time because the gag setups are simple yet effective and not grounded by the use of technology or pop culture allowing them to still be funny on their own physical setups.

• Mar 05, 2017

Don't let the "silent" part put you off, this is one of Mel Brooks' best and funniest movies!

• Sep 25, 2016

A sorely underappreciated film from Mel Brooks. Silent Movie's gimmick (filmed entirely without dialogue, save for one word) can potentially wear on viewers' nerves. Thankfully, its saved due to its total madcap style and over the top physical gags done to perfection by its talented cast. If you're looking for a different sort of comedy from Mel Brooks, then you should definitely check this one out. And even if you don't like it, the short running time will keep it from feeling too long.

• Chris G Super Reviewer
    Aug 20, 2016

In the 1970's Mel Brooks was the cinematic comedy genius. He created the most celebrated western parody with Blazing Saddles, a wager that paid off. During that same glorious year of 1974 he delivered Young Frankenstein, a tongue in cheek look at the Universal monster movies that he also released in black and white. Brooks wasn't afraid to go way outside the box to deliver his films, which brings us to his 1976 film Silent Movie. Silent Movie follows the antics of Mel Funn (Brooks), Marty Eggs (Marty Feldman), and Dom Bell (Dom DeLuise). The trio has a plan to make a silent movie, forty years after talkies took over the cinema. The main focus of the film is to get big stars for their trip into nostalgia, such as Burt Reynolds, James Caan, Liza Minelli, and Anne Bancroft as a way to produce a hit for the studio that is on the edge of being consumed by a conglomerate. Hilarity ensues. Oh, did I mention that the film is also silent? Yes, Mel Brooks accomplished a silent film in 1976. The man could do no wrong. The first thing we need to get out of the way is that when compared to Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein, Silent Movie is the weakest of the three. So if you're expecting an equivalent, don't do it. Now taken on its own this is a pretty funny film. Mel Brooks delivers a film with slap stick and uses silent film conventions in the modern era. The film works, but it's doesn't quite achieve the greatness of Brooks work two years prior, mainly due to the limitations of making a silent film. The thing I ask myself is that after creating two of the greatest comedies of our time did Mel Brooks submit this film as a joke because the studios thought he could do no wrong? I can just imagine him being asked what his next film would be and him saying, tongue in cheek, that he was going to do a silent movie and the studio went wild over the idea. Even though set with an early 20th century motif, it does comment on the film industry of the 1970's, mainly in the fall of the studios to the conglomerates that gobbled them up. The studio system was dead and this film partially examines its obituary. Silent Movie isn't Brooks best work, but it is a funny film that is lulled by its main premise. It's still enjoyable after 40 years and spotlights the audacity of the film industry's greatest comedic genius.

• Apr 15, 2016

The slapstick is what makes this movie great. Mel Brooks has a gift for comedy.

The slapstick is what makes this movie great. Mel Brooks has a gift for comedy.

• Feb 07, 2016

After finding out recently that Mel Brooks made more bad films than good ones, I was very pleased to find this was in the latter category. The cast in this is very impressive but the real star is Marty Feldman who provided the best comedy moments. This is generally a pretty funny film and well worth a watch.

• Dec 12, 2015

An interesting idea at the time. I don't know if you want to watch a silent movie for an hour and a half.

• Sep 13, 2015

Mel Brooks, Marty Feldman, and Dom DeLuise are great, playing three stooges-like roles. The movie is very funny, but being a one trick pony, it gets old after a while. It is almost like watching old Three Stooges or old cartoons, but those were all 10 minute shorts. At almost an hour and a half, it just gets a bit tiring. Mel Brooks accomplishes something unique and different, even if not a homerun success like some of his other movies. Those who are fans of Mel Brooks should check it out though.